Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

QuarkJets posted:

Putting a huge TV on your desk and treating it like a normal monitor is pretty dumb, yes. However, TVs at a normal couch distance are not particularly "too bright" (alternatively, if you have one that is too bright then you can just adjust the settings until it looks good) and won't "burn your eyes out of your skull" if you're in a well-lit room like a normal person :psyduck:

It's pretty satisfying saying "like a normal person" but in reality people are different and you just seem like an rear end in a top hat. Not everyone can tolerate using TVs as monitors. They are different. Hopefully one day you'll understand that people at different.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feller
Jul 5, 2006

QuarkJets posted:

^^^ It's a pretty common trope that nerds sit in dark rooms staring at really bright computer monitors, I just wanted to make sure that we weren't dealing with that kind of situation. "Burn your eyes out of your skull" suggests brightness being the cause of irritation, so I was suggesting a more brightly lit room in order to fix that problem. There's no need for you to get your knickers in a twist over that, I'm trying to help

Yes I can see how you automatically assuming the worst and being condescending is you 'trying to help.' Why would someone ever be annoyed by you, I wonder?

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Master_Odin posted:

Has there been any word on when the new thinkpads will roll out? Nothing on Google reveals anything and I'm unsure how far behind things lag for them.

Though, about the Macbook Air, it would be able to handle games to some extent? What would really make the CPU strain as I'm the HD 5000 wouldn't be the first bottleneck on the system (and it'd allow for meh framerates on most modern games turned down low right? Do people release benchmarks for macbooks somewhere?). I'm a bit split on which computer I'd want as I think both types would work for me.

Haswell processors are more than fast enough for basically any game. The GPU will be the bottleneck if you're cranking settings up, or trying to play metro last light or something. Otherwise, it'll be fine.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Bleh Maestro posted:

It looks like They only have one dedicated graphics option and it's on the low end. At least when I just went through their little 'build your own' program just now. But, I'll do a bit of digging and see if that card may be satisfactory to me.

Have you checked out the new integrated graphics in Haswell? It's come a long, long way.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Hey dudes, wanting a 15" screen isn't as crazy as you're all pretending, Stop being weird.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Bleh Maestro posted:

Listen Sperglord, I don't want what you're trying to sell.

To anyone else who might still want to help, this article: http://www.forbes.com/sites/jasonevangelho/2013/06/01/crunching-the-numbers-can-intels-haswell-graphics-run-your-favorite-video-games/ seems to indicate that HD5000 might not *quite* be enough for what I'm looking for.

I still most likely want a machine with dedicate graphics.

That test was done with 4600. 5000 is much better, and there are better ones than 500. Iris Pro especially is pretty great.

I'm not trying specifically to steer you away from dedicated graphics, but if you can get a better value from (while still getting the performance you desire) using the Iris or Iris Pro processors, then it would be a waste not to look into it.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Bleh Maestro posted:

e2: I wish something like this was linked earlier instead of getting berated. There ARE plenty of laptops like I outlined, I'm just looking for a good deal and well-built machine, and SA is a good place to learn and share these things.

Dude, come on.

People getting on to you about wanting a 15" screen was dumb as poo poo but you have done yourself no favors. Next time you're looking for a laptop don't start with 'I don't want a gaming laptop but I want a laptop that can play REAL games.' Don't start a weird apple thing and also maybe do your own research? The Y410 isn't exactly obscure.

People aren't paid in this thread to cater to your whims, and when you post like you have you don't really make them amenable to helping you.

fe: also yeah that HDD is sloooow

feller fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Jun 13, 2013

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Gnamra posted:

I will be playing World of Warcraft, and probably some more demanding games. I will be using my laptop in class, yes. However I will be using and developing quite resource intensive programs in school, I want a powerful laptop because I'm a bit stingy when it comes to FPS in games. I'll be traveling a bit and I don't want to have drag my stationary pc across Norway each time, spending the extra money on a powerful laptop is worth the trouble it saves me.

WoW is much more dependent on the cpu than gpu. I don't know what other 'more demanding games' you're looking at but HD5000 would be way more than enough I imagine.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

LurkingAsian posted:

Those temperatures are the norm in many modern laptops. The macbook air regularly exceeds 95C. The casing gets warm, but never uncomfortably so. Higher internal temperatures allow for more efficient heat dissipation and more compact designs, I am not super concerned. As for my desktop, it has loud case fans which are not temperature controlled. I don't really care about it too much since I rarely use it and will turn it into a server.

I don't think you're correct.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Yo we get you hate thinkpads or whatever but there's a site called google you could look at. Also maybe other Haswell laptops will be recommended when they are actually released.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

I'm glad that most companies finally got the message about using nice displays in their latops, but I wish they had gone with 16:10 instead of 16:9. I would just buy a macbook but I actually like touchscreens :(

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Vinlaen posted:

Are there any 13" laptops with an IPS screen and a 1440x900 resolution?

I don't like the scaling on 1080p or other high dpi screens and 1440x900 is pretty much perfect at 13" ...

Only Apple is doing 16:10 and the Airs are TN not IPS, IIRC.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

A lot of people do it. Just know you'll lose a bit of battery life.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

e: actually nm

feller fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Jan 4, 2014

feller
Jul 5, 2006

The Dave posted:

You're really not though.

Some people like the touchscreens, this isn't as objective as you're trying to make it seem. It's ok for people to like different things.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

I meant to quote shrughes, but yeah you're right. Not having the touchscreen isn't a big deal, and definitely doesn't gimp you in any way.

The touchscreen is great for when it's on my lap and I want to lazily scroll through a webpage though.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

shymog posted:

I'm going to sell my gigantic Asus G74SX while it's still got some resale value. Now I'm traveling regularly and that G74 is painful to take on flights. Hindsight is a bitch.

I need something extremely portable, but still powerful. Primary use is software development but will probably be used for occasional indie games (Starbound/FTL kinda stuff).

There are a lot of options I'm seeing but I would prefer to keep it fairly cheap, as in sub-$1k. Coming with a no-OS option would be awesome too.

My requirements:
- Intel, preferably Haswell i5 though Ivy Bridge isn't out of the question
- 1920x1080 or higher resolution.
- 12-14". (13 seems like the sweet spot)
- 4 or 8GB RAM
- 128GB+ storage, can be SSD or mechanical HDD

Am I just dreaming that I can grab all this under a grand?

There's a 13.3" Clevo W230ST on Mythologic that looks non-awful but comes in a bit over a grand.

The 13" Retina MBP also looks amazing and would be great for work/travel/etc but at $1300-1500 it's way over budget.

Get the yoga2 using the barnes and noble link in the OP. It's a really good laptop even if you never use the tablet functionality.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

shymog posted:

That resolution :stare:

What are the chances that Lenovo is going to update that with "Iris Pro" graphics or whatever soon? $1129 for 8GB RAM + 256GB SSD with a Haswell i5 makes it pretty damned tempting, though it's pushing my budget a bit.

99.9% sure it won't be updated until Broadwell comes out and most likely not with Broadwell's version of the 5200.

Is that price using the link in the OP? Even if so, that's a pretty great laptop for much less than most ultrabooks.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Ragehaver posted:

Yeah, it's incredibly crummy for a 2013 laptop. I was blown away that this is what counts as acceptable these days. Just having a hard time swallowing that it's a $400 upgrade due to their crappy coupon policy.

Look into the Acer V7. It's not amazing, and the Y410 is probably better if you can stand the red keys, but it's at least 1080p (with a touchscreen if that matters to you).

It's not complete poo poo like most of Acer's laptops, but no one will mistake it for a macbook.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

When that's come up before, everyone's suggested just buying from lenovo. Those other guys' batteries are cheap for reasons other than just lovely capacity.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

shodanjr_gr posted:

I just got handed down (or sideways) a Dell M3800. It's the first super high DPI windows machine that I'm using. I'm setting it up right now but here are some first impressions:

The screen is gorgeous in Modern Win 8, fine for most desktop operations (with DPI scaling of course) but absolutely horrible at places. The device manager renders at scaled low-DPI and looks horrendous.
Having a touch screen is somewhat useful, even on a laptop. The touch screen response is terrific. Also, I develop some touch-centric stuff for my research, and being able to debug code right on my workstation (without a secondary tablet device) is gonna be just awesome. The keyboard is OK. I found the travel to be fine, however the keys themselves are smaller than they should be...which is weird since there is a TON of empty space and dell could have fitted a bigger keyboard very very easily. The touchpad is actually quite good for windows machine standards but not apple-quality. The machine is quite light for its size and the build quality is decent (metal on top, rubberized plastic inside and on the bottom. The screen is covered with glass, which is just awesome.

I can't really comment on battery life but the previous owner said he was getting about 5-6 hours under normal use (with the 6-cell). Performance is lighting fast for basic windows stuff, i'll run it through the paces in development/gaming tonight.

Perfect timing, I was contemplating getting an M3800. I'm looking forward to your followup.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

shodanjr_gr posted:

Some more impressions on the M3800....

I ended up ordering the model with the 1080p screen. I agree with you completely about hiDPI and I figure I'll just use an external for anything that needs higher resolution anyway.

I may end up regretting this decision, but hopefully it keeps its value pretty well.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Vegetable posted:

Is there a way to enable circular scrolling on the Yoga 2 Pro? (You scroll on your touchpad as if using an Apple ClickWheel: by moving in circles) I was told earlier in this thread that it's possible but now I'm stuck with two finger scrolling.

I don't know if this will work but it seems like it should.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Vegetable posted:

That seems to be a wiki for Linux? I don't see anything I might use.

Look a little harder

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Vizio apparently announced a refresh of their 15.6 thin + light that will come with the Iris Pro 5200. They also claim to have made the keyboard better and doubled battery life.

It seems like it's going to be great if it's priced anywhere near the last few generations were. I wish it had more ports though.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Straker posted:

Okay, but that's actually the opposite of thing; other poster was saying to unplug it when you're not using it.

edit: come to think of it, if you are being a dick and leaving it plugged in all the time, you're not going to care when the battery loses life prematurely anyway :)

You have a strange definition of 'being a dick'

feller
Jul 5, 2006

shrughes why are you always a jerk when arguing with people in here? No need to get so rowdy about laptops.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

All thinkpads are Tough as far as I know. The ideapads not so much.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

ejstheman posted:

I don't think you can really say this unless...

There are also under-the-hood improvements which I think is what Hadlock was getting at. It's not just about the interface.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Bombadilillo posted:

How's the heat on it? I hope laptop cooling has improved in the last 5 years but I'd like first hand confirmation.

These guys do great reviews and they have a section on thermals.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

1TB SSD? Are you sure? Especially for 900 euro, that seems... not right.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Get it anyway and install your own SSD. It's very easy.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Kjermzs posted:

I am in need of assistance...

The N56JR just came out. It looks pretty good according to the notebookcheck review. Ignore what they quote for the price though. It's about a thousand dollars.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

HauntedRobot posted:

Anyone got any thoughts on how the Asus N56JR would hold up as a coding/gaming laptop? Mostly Minecraft and Civ V and maybe some other similar types of games. I had a years old Clevo that died of overheating and obviously it's an improvement on that, but I've got no idea how it stands in the price/performance/likelihood-of-bursting-into-flames triangle. Anything obviously off about the specs for the money (given that's probably where my budget is).

I have it. The temperatures are good according to both my experience and all the benchmarks I've seen. I haven't had any problems with noise either.

It has a TN panel if that bothers you, though it's a pretty good TN panel. The wifi card is either Intel's 802.11n or an atheros abomination. I got one with the atheros so I'm switching that out for an 802.11ac card I got. I'd suggest replacing the hdd with an ssd as well (you can also put either drive in the optical bay).

Do not upgrade to windows 8.1 from the stock install. Either do a clean install then upgrade or wait forever until asus pulls their head out of their rear end.

feller fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Feb 14, 2014

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Dobermaniac posted:

I'm looking at buying a y510p around July/August months. Really hoping that they have a Haswell refresh or maybe get lucky with Broadwell coming out. I don't know if I should just hold out until Broadwell. This will be my main computer for four years. Mainly play wow and want something to play with high settings. Don't really care about battery life, but don't want the fans to be super loud. Should I look at something other than y510p?

I believe this is the refresh. Optional 4k resolution screen :lol:

Does Windows do 400% scaling?

feller
Jul 5, 2006

It'll be msata but yes (just make sure to buy an msata one). Alternatively, you can put the hdd in your optical drive bay and ssd in the just vacated hdd slot.

Also can use that bay to SLI 755s, but ugh.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

External DVD drives are like 30 bucks

feller
Jul 5, 2006

J.A.B.C. posted:

I'll probably just stick with the Win7 Disk I just bought instead of buying a new Win8 Disk. Unless there's a way to fresh install it without spending that money.

Just got done with the recovery again.

Search for an msdn version of win8, verify its hash against the version on msdn and make a bootable disc/usb. When you go to install, it will use the win8 key in your bios (but maybe grab that before hand and write it down just in case).

You own win8, this isn't :filez: or anything.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Yeah I can't imagine going to a meeting with a customer and bringing out my REPUBLIC OF GAMERS laptop. I'd die of embarrassment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Sounds like she might enjoy a tablet