Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Geburan
Nov 4, 2010
I just want to know which version of the game to play if I just want to play through the content solo. I was always interested in the game and got a key on sale a while ago. Never got around to giving it a go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drinkfist
Aug 2, 2005

Exmond posted:

Real Answer:
To modify their game to appeal to new comers and make things more generic so that new players can follow along. The aim of the relaunch is to attract new players to the game, even at the cost of alienating our older players. Also funcom are not smart (TM)

Hot take answer:
They are dumbing down their game for the casuals and funcom are idiots.

The Niche crowd they had wasn't paying the bills. We had our fun. Let the bumbling idiots flood in and pay for the next book worth of story they have on the shelf.

You forget how we legit had players needing build guides and videos to clear the gatekeeper.

I for one look forward to going into mumble and listening to people trying to understand why the Orachi have gently caress with everything they find. There is also the dungeon runs with bosses that are aware of your immortality and make fun of you for wiping and coming back for more. The game was a great single player game that happened to be multiplayer. I am a huge fan of the writing.

Game was fun and dead. Fiddling with the corpse can only produce an entertaining Frankenstein at this point. Which appears appropriate given the game's story and setting. The only real issue is did they put enough time into the revamp like FFXIV did or is this totally a two man mod crew bastardization style.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Drinkfist posted:

The Niche crowd they had wasn't paying the bills. We had our fun. Let the bumbling idiots flood in and pay for the next book worth of story they have on the shelf.

You forget how we legit had players needing build guides and videos to clear the gatekeeper.

I for one look forward to going into mumble and listening to people trying to understand why the Orachi have gently caress with everything they find. There is also the dungeon runs with bosses that are aware of your immortality and make fun of you for wiping and coming back for more. The game was a great single player game that happened to be multiplayer. I am a huge fan of the writing.

Game was fun and dead. Fiddling with the corpse can only produce an entertaining Frankenstein at this point. Which appears appropriate given the game's story and setting. The only real issue is did they put enough time into the revamp like FFXIV did or is this totally a two man mod crew bastardization style.

Feels like a two man crew with the forum support team to shut down dissident

Drinkfist
Aug 2, 2005

Len posted:

Feels like a two man crew with the forum support team to shut down dissident

Yeah I had a feeling. Welp.

I have a lifetime sub to TSW and got my 200 dollars of enjoyment in the form of playing the drat game for about two years. Everything past this is just bonus.

Can't wait for posts like this gem in here.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

Drinkfist posted:

Yeah I had a feeling. Welp.

I have a lifetime sub to TSW and got my 200 dollars of enjoyment in the form of playing the drat game for about two years. Everything past this is just bonus.

Can't wait for posts like this gem in here.

Who wants to buy some t-shirts?

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC
Beta update today. I'll add the changes as they become known.
  • Dressing Room part 1
  • Lairs and Regionals (but not world)
  • Carpathian Fangs
  • Fists
  • Class feedback forums have become weapon feedback forums (maybe they are going to let people pick two starting weapons instead of that stupid class bullshit?) Nope, still stupid class bullshit
  • More character customization
  • Revamped missions including The Castle
  • Lore gives XP and Currency
  • Post on the economy: Economy

This will probably be the last update before live not be the last update before live. Let's see if they've managed to un-gently caress anything!

Open beta might be a thing soon...

quote:

We will be migrating towards new servers halfway through this beta, but we’ll give you more information as we get closer to the date.

Saltpowered fucked around with this message at 01:04 on May 27, 2017

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

I love the super sperg attitude going on. It's like people are pretending the secret world wasn't a lovely mmo. You guys need to pull your heads out of your asses cause there was nothing amazingly phenomenal about the gameplay they're replacing. It's just a bad game that's being replaced with a bad game.

What horror.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Do we know what the new membership benefits are yet? Or is that still just an under construction geocities page?

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

randombattle posted:

I love the super sperg attitude going on. It's like people are pretending the secret world wasn't a lovely mmo. You guys need to pull your heads out of your asses cause there was nothing amazingly phenomenal about the gameplay they're replacing. It's just a bad game that's being replaced with a bad game.

What horror.

??? TSW thread has always been for making fun of how bad Funcom has hosed up this game. The only people ever defending TSW were the ones that Drinkfist was making fun of literally 3 posts ago.

Len posted:

Do we know what the new membership benefits are yet? Or is that still just an under construction geocities page?

Nope. Probably a flat xp/currency boost and an aurum stipend.

Saltpowered fucked around with this message at 01:48 on May 27, 2017

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

I played this game at launch for a bit and then forgot about it. This video popped up today https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XvHvcF0-pk0. Do you guys in the beta feel thats fairly accurate? I'll probably check it out regardless.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

phosdex posted:

I played this game at launch for a bit and then forgot about it. This video popped up today https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XvHvcF0-pk0. Do you guys in the beta feel thats fairly accurate? I'll probably check it out regardless.

Accurate-ish. He spins a lot of things as positive when they aren't really great changes or are halfway to decent changes. A few posts ago someone said that this isn't really a relaunch as it is a content patch. That's pretty accurate.

I just finished updating so I'll have some info and pictures soon.

Login Rewards:

Looks like one of the things that subs get is a key to one of those random loot chests every day.

Saltpowered fucked around with this message at 02:11 on May 27, 2017

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'
I get the impression part of the reason they're calling this a relaunch and a separate product from TSW is so that Funcom doesn't have to split publisher royalties with EA any more.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Shut up, Nick! You're not Twilight.

Lawlicaust posted:

??? TSW thread has always been for making fun of how bad Funcom has hosed up this game. The only people ever defending TSW were the ones that Drinkfist was making fun of literally 3 posts ago.

But now Funcom is trying to fix the game and people are bitching about that too. It seems like this thread is just for bitching for the sake of bitching really. Which of course is fine that is a key part of the MMORPG experience but as someone whose not really part of the games community it does seem a little absurd at times. Being upset that Funcom is trying to fix its product to appeal to more people so it can continue to operate it is a tad much.

Oh, and its being called a relaunched because they are transitioning to new servers including a reset of the game world. Calling everyone starting over from the beginning a relaunch seems appropriate.

Emberfox
Jan 15, 2005

~rero rero rero rero rero
I don't think people are bitching because Funcom is trying to fix the game. That's a bit disingenuous.

Like, I was really excited when I first heard about the relaunch, but a lot of the "fixes" evaporated that enthusiasm, by both the revamp being kind of lazy, and the freemium model originally being weirdly punishing. I am not exactly sure what would be the draw for any new players to be brought in, aside from the story which was always there.

Emberfox fucked around with this message at 03:44 on May 27, 2017

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Shut up, Nick! You're not Twilight.
I suppose "make profitable" would have been a better choice of words.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

The thing that most turns me off is that they're making us restart and then slowing down progress substantially. I don't mind starting over because at this point it's been what four years since I've finished the non-Tokyo story? But what I do mind is having to grind levels in order to experience it.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

CoffeeBooze posted:

But now Funcom is trying to fix the game and people are bitching about that too. It seems like this thread is just for bitching for the sake of bitching really. Which of course is fine that is a key part of the MMORPG experience but as someone whose not really part of the games community it does seem a little absurd at times. Being upset that Funcom is trying to fix its product to appeal to more people so it can continue to operate it is a tad much.

Oh, and its being called a relaunched because they are transitioning to new servers including a reset of the game world. Calling everyone starting over from the beginning a relaunch seems appropriate.

This doesn't read like you've played the new beta whatsoever.

E: Oh I'm not in the games community, so I'm just gonna :smug:

A. Beaverhausen fucked around with this message at 07:38 on May 27, 2017

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
They're still keeping the old version up, right?

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

"The greatest honor history can bestow is the title of peacemaker."

flatluigi posted:

They're still keeping the old version up, right?

It'll be in maintenance mode but as people start leaving, it'll get to be almost impossible to do any group content and there's only so much that soloing can be entertaining.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

CoffeeBooze posted:

How does restricting how many boss chests you can open fix the game?

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
It's an old game. Too much excitement all at once isn't healthy for it.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.

Schubalts posted:

How does restricting how many boss chests you can open fix the game?

Man don't you hate it when you get too much loot it gets confusing and what are you supposed to do with all of that?

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

Morglon posted:

Man don't you hate it when you get too much loot it gets confusing and what are you supposed to do with all of that?

Absolutely. I'm so glad that Funcom removed all loot drops from enemies. Makes it so much less confusing.

Metallia
Sep 17, 2014

the best case scenario is that funcom ensnares enough whales with this update that they can afford to get some actual story out for this game, but even then someone is liable to go "finally more money to make more conan games!!!!!" and we'll get playerunknown's conan: battlegrounds

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary

Metallia posted:

the best case scenario is that funcom ensnares enough whales with this update that they can afford to get some actual story out for this game, but even then someone is liable to go "finally more money to make more conan games!!!!!" and we'll get playerunknown's conan: battlegrounds

i would unironically not pay money for this

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC
Regarding lairs:

quote:

Hey everybody! The difficulty of lairs seems to have left some confused, so I'd like to address that. Though lairs are available and you're free to try to kill the enemies within, we do not expect much success at this time. This content is meant to be both relevant and meaningful for the endgame, and as such is targeted toward players that have progressed quite a bit.

This rather steep progression expectation is necessary, as if we aim lower on the progression curve the content would be trivialized by players higher up on the progression curve. This would mean lairs would degenerate into solo farms for more advanced players rather than the group content we'd like it to be.

So while you're free to try to test this with as many friends as you can, please bear this warning in mind. Best of luck to those of you that do try to brave these areas.

quote:

It's a very blurry line that depends a lot on player skill, but players should start to have success at very high purple and beyond. Regionals are more difficult and have even higher expectations.

Lairs are now designed to be late endgame content.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

I can dig it. Lairs are a cool idea with poor execution right now maybe making them better has been on the to-do list for awhile

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Len posted:

I can dig it. Lairs are a cool idea with poor execution right now maybe making them better has been on the to-do list for awhile

Regionals were already only the domain of a handful of people. Making them harder to do will just force wealth concentration up higher.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
I wonder if they're going to test the rebalance as well as they did the dungeons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC
New Thread, may Gaia have mercy on our bees.

• Locked thread