Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.

Team Lunch posted:

I was inspired by TheAbominableSnow to try and draw a wendigo:

White color pencils are fun.

Holy poo poo. I would buy a print of that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

It looks cool! I like what you did with the bone, it feels ghostly

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

Worked more on that painting I posted earlier. I went a bit far with the colors though, I may dial it back a bit in the next few layers

Hellbeard
Apr 8, 2002

Please report me if you see me post in GBS so a moderator may bulldoze my account like a palestinian school.

a hole-y ghost posted:

It looks cool! I like what you did with the bone, it feels ghostly

That's what she said. :smith:
:goonsay:

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

Hellbeard posted:

That's what she said. :smith:
:goonsay:
:goleft:

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Team Lunch
Nov 4, 2009

Detective Thompson posted:

Holy poo poo. I would buy a print of that.

Hey thanks! I'll look into getting some made.

Content: still messing with white pencils. Here's a Krampus!

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

Team Lunch posted:

Hey thanks! I'll look into getting some made.

Content: still messing with white pencils. Here's a Krampus!

these are cool, do you have any more in this series other than the wendigo?

Team Lunch
Nov 4, 2009

a hole-y ghost posted:

these are cool, do you have any more in this series other than the wendigo?

So far I've only got those two plus a chupacabra:

Not sure how many I'll do- would be neat to have a set of 8 or so. It's pretty fun so far.

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

Team Lunch posted:

So far I've only got those two plus a chupacabra:

Not sure how many I'll do- would be neat to have a set of 8 or so. It's pretty fun so far.
cool stuff, keep going :thumbsup:

anaaki
Apr 2, 2008
Pet painting just for fun. I had these 6"x6" canvas squares to use up. I don't really like acrylics but I don't have a home setup for oils.

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

More of my decent into minimalism.

parthenocarpy
Dec 18, 2003

Made something new today:

There is very little I can do to demonstrate final look when it comes to images. Just to illustrate some depth, compare the next two pictures:

Finally, here is the project in front of a white screen to highlight the edges:

You can see more images at the imgur album

edit: holy crap this album already has more hits in an hour than my blog has in its entire time online

parthenocarpy fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Dec 23, 2014

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

smallmouth posted:

not necessarily a criticism or comment, but why are you using charcoal for these? It's far from an ideal medium for this sort of thing because of its texture and smudginess. Dark marker, ink pen, or paint on bristol board or on gesso paper mounted on panel would get you much cleaner areas and lines. Don't let me stop you if it's intentional, but I think one of those would be much more conducive to this style.

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

a hole-y ghost posted:

not necessarily a criticism or comment, but why are you using charcoal for these? It's far from an ideal medium for this sort of thing because of its texture and smudginess. Dark marker, ink pen, or paint on bristol board or on gesso paper mounted on panel would get you much cleaner areas and lines. Don't let me stop you if it's intentional, but I think one of those would be much more conducive to this style.

Thanks for the suggestion. I do plan to transition to other mediums as the project evolves. Although I do kind of like the mess and imperfection of it all.

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Got some brighter shades for Christmas, decided to do this silly idea I've had for a bit.

Team Lunch
Nov 4, 2009
Here are two more of the series, will try to make a goal of 8.

Goatman and Jersey Devil:

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

These are all outstanding. What paper are you doing these on? Definitely still interested in prints of some of these if you get around to it.

Zoben
Oct 3, 2001
Kind of a weird piece, but whatever.

Zoben fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Jan 2, 2015

DEO3
Oct 25, 2005

smallmouth posted:

I love these, and I'm jealous of your ability to convey so much with so little.

Here's my latest, I don't feel I'm quite finished with it, but it needs to be submitted to a show in a couple of hours - so time's up!

"Alone the Dark" 14x11 on Scratchboard

Team Lunch
Nov 4, 2009

DEO3 posted:

I really love this. Very eerie.

I've done two more of the series I'm working on- only one away from my goal but I might keep going. Here's mothman and a banshee:

These are all outstanding. What paper are you doing these on? Definitely still interested in prints of some of these if you get around to it.

Thanks! The paper is just brown cardstock scrapbook paper with pencil and white color pencil. I'll start looking into prints after I finish the next one- if anyone has any experience in having things sold as prints online let me know- in particular what sites are good and which to avoid.

Numero6
Oct 10, 2012

ここは地の果て 流されて俺
今日もさすらい 涙も涸れる
ブルーゲイル
I like your Mothman, it's pretty original.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

Been doodling with hands lately. It's far from perfect, but better than my first try

SoulTaco
Apr 8, 2003
A figure study I am working on. Just a few more things to fix and I will start coloring it.

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

Here's something new.

Hellbeard
Apr 8, 2002

Please report me if you see me post in GBS so a moderator may bulldoze my account like a palestinian school.

Another exploration/experimental technique combination.
Super mixed technique, all traditional.

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

This belongs in a museumon a thrash metal album. This is great.

Friends Are Evil posted:

Here's something new.

As is this. I continue to love your work. I assume those are prints in your store, right?

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

As is this. I continue to love your work. I assume those are prints in your store, right?

Originals, actually. They're relatively small and also there's a lot of them.

Invisible Ted
Aug 24, 2011

hhhehehe

Friends Are Evil posted:

Originals, actually. They're relatively small and also there's a lot of them.

I actually thought they were prints when I ordered mine, I was pretty amazed and excited when an original came.

Carotid
Dec 18, 2008

We're all doing it

DEO3 posted:

Here's my latest, I don't feel I'm quite finished with it, but it needs to be submitted to a show in a couple of hours - so time's up!

Loving this, great job.

My boyfriend loves to talk about history/mythology/folk tales, and one of his favorite stories is the Navajo myth of the Coyote throwing the stars into the sky. So i wanted to do a watercolor painting of it for his birthday:

Hellbeard
Apr 8, 2002

Haha, thanks! :allears:
That would own(metal cover, that is). :black101:

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

DEO3 posted:

I love these, and I'm jealous of your ability to convey so much with so little.

poo poo, just looking at this makes my wrist hurt. awesome job! how long did it take to do that?

Team Lunch
Nov 4, 2009
:aaa:

This is my last for a little while, it's a rat king:

PS: Thanks, Numero6 :)

DEO3
Oct 25, 2005

a hole-y ghost posted:

poo poo, just looking at this makes my wrist hurt. awesome job! how long did it take to do that?

The road, sidewalk, fence, area probably took 20-30 hours, and I probably spent just as long on the lights/sky before deciding to sand that half of the picture off and start from scratch. I tried everything I could think of to get it to look like how I wanted using only scratching tools and sandpaper, but in the end I was forced to admit defeat and used an airbrush to finish it. So all together I'd say 60-ish hours?

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

parthenocarpy posted:

You can see more images at the imgur album

edit: holy crap this album already has more hits in an hour than my blog has in its entire time online

The album was interesting! Your work is looking as good as always.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

the mirror would do well to reflect further

Team Lunch posted:

Here are two more of the series, will try to make a goal of 8.

Goatman and Jersey Devil:

This stuff is SO awesome!

Another photoscan scan. This time with a DSLR.

Although it wasn't a great dragon to begin with, I wanted to scan it before any more of it broke apart. Nevermind that there is already a dragon skeleton built into zbrush. This was more to test my first DSLR.
Original sculpt made of super sculpey and wire armature.

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

Some new studies.

DEO3
Oct 25, 2005
"Adrift"
18x14 on Clayboard
Photo Credit: Kurt Arrigo

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

DEO3 posted:

"Adrift"
18x14 on Clayboard
Photo Credit: Kurt Arrigo

How'd you get the background color?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DEO3
Oct 25, 2005

dupersaurus posted:

How'd you get the background color?

Airbrushed the background first, then taped a stencil I had made of the girl's silhouette to the board - spraying her in over the background, then finally scratched out the highlights using a fiberglass brush and exacto blade.