Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Janus Owl
Jan 9, 2014

This one is oil on canvas. The camera put a slight glare in the top corner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Longhouse
Nov 8, 2010

Chill out, dog

HollisBrown posted:

Fresh Kiln load of new pots today! There are way too many to post so here's the gallery: http://imgur.com/a/bRnEG

Those are insanely beautiful.

Bikini Quilt
Jul 28, 2013

Friends Are Evil posted:

Haven't posted in this thread for a while.

Let's change that.

Your art is some of my favorite in this thread, and as someone whose never touched ink and hasn't drawn anything in like 10 years, I just wanted to let you know that you've inspired me to give it a try. This is probably a long shot, but are there any books / sites / tutorials you recommend for testing the water with ink and the associated techniques? I honestly don't even know where to begin.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

Full Fathoms Five posted:

Your art is some of my favorite in this thread, and as someone whose never touched ink and hasn't drawn anything in like 10 years, I just wanted to let you know that you've inspired me to give it a try. This is probably a long shot, but are there any books / sites / tutorials you recommend for testing the water with ink and the associated techniques? I honestly don't even know where to begin.

Rendering in Pen and Ink is, I think, the gold standard book for line work. It doesn't cover washes, though.

parthenocarpy
Dec 18, 2003

stone brewery Enjoy By 04.20.14

indeed brewery Burr Grinder

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers

Hellbeard
Apr 8, 2002

Please report me if you see me post in GBS so a moderator may bulldoze my account like a palestinian school.
Here's another sketch/technique experiment(s).

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Anyone know if the fixative spray used on painted miniatures (which my brother has a lot of) will work fine on drawings on paper?

Hellbeard
Apr 8, 2002

Please report me if you see me post in GBS so a moderator may bulldoze my account like a palestinian school.

Argue posted:

Anyone know if the fixative spray used on painted miniatures (which my brother has a lot of) will work fine on drawings on paper?

I use fixative for drawings on miniatures so maybe?

Why not do an experiment?

parthenocarpy
Dec 18, 2003

New Belgium Kriek (Lips of Faith Series)

Stone Go To IPA

TheGreekOwl
Mar 1, 2014

THUNDERDOME LOSER

So, I actually got some new pen inks and I wanted to try them out.

This is done with them, not terribly different from my normal ones, but I do like how they come out.

Its for a webcomic thing btw, gota draw the arsenal.

ShrimpToast
Dec 26, 2011

TheGreekOwl posted:

So, I actually got some new pen inks and I wanted to try them out.

This is done with them, not terribly different from my normal ones, but I do like how they come out.

Its for a webcomic thing btw, gota draw the arsenal.

I really like the composition of this. Particularly, the way that the birds help to lead into the negative space on the left. Also, the slightly darker shading of the man helps to draw your attention directly to him. Just curious, what are the dimensions of this?

TheGreekOwl
Mar 1, 2014

THUNDERDOME LOSER

ShrimpToast posted:

I really like the composition of this. Particularly, the way that the birds help to lead into the negative space on the left. Also, the slightly darker shading of the man helps to draw your attention directly to him. Just curious, what are the dimensions of this?

Αbout 35cm x 47cm it seems.

I resized it on photoshop, took the birds which I drew on a separate page and put them there.

Hellbeard
Apr 8, 2002

A sketch and homage to the classic Installation Wizard by Shmorky.

ShrimpToast
Dec 26, 2011

Hellbeard posted:

A sketch and homage to the classic Installation Wizard by Shmorky.

I really like the slight cloudiness and colour of the eyes. The highlights are very nicely done too. What did you use for them?

Here is a somewhat old drawing of mine.

Hellbeard
Apr 8, 2002

ShrimpToast posted:

I really like the slight cloudiness and colour of the eyes. The highlights are very nicely done too. What did you use for them?

Here is a somewhat old drawing of mine.

Thank you. I used a white Gouache paint. A nice drawing but maybe the values are sort of uniform giving it a flat appearance.

artsy fartsy
May 10, 2014

You'll be ahead instead of behind. Hello!
Last year I got into ceramics!

I call it the Crock Pot. :3:

TheGreekOwl
Mar 1, 2014

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Work in progress painting in acrylics

...its not going well...

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers
Nah, it looks pretty good from here - the colours are really popping, and the basic framing is interesting. Everything else is detail work which you can add to later. Shrink it to 1"x2" and you can see how well the basic idea works.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

artsy fartsy posted:

Last year I got into ceramics!

I call it the Crock Pot. :3:

Heh...I like it and that's actually some fine coil work. Coiling can be a pain.

What kind of clay is that and what glaze is it, if you don't mind me asking? Is it commercial stuff?

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers
First attempt at screen printing:

I think I needed to thin the dye before use. Still, dirt-cheap top, and it's not horrible as a prototype.

Bad Sneakers
Sep 4, 2004

me irl
n/m, wrong thread

TheGreekOwl
Mar 1, 2014

THUNDERDOME LOSER
So, I took two random photos on the internetn and I painted them

This was the result

Hellbeard
Apr 8, 2002

TheGreekOwl- Nice work in general, I'd like to see more decisive strokes. Looks a little bit muddy, maybe undefined. Smoother gradations maybe, blend the colors when you want to have transitions. I guess what I'm saying is it's all in the same "intensity"; that look has its place but in my opinion within an intentional spectrum of harder edge and softer transitions. Don't be afraid to ruin the painting with one fell stroke.

I bought an airbrush and also a million stuff that you have to have that goes around the drat thing. Now I'm trying it out and experimenting.

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

I'm still working on nudes with a palette knife and oils. I'm hoping I can show some of these locally soon.

Charlie Root
May 22, 2014

find / -exec chown root {} \;
My window art project that I started a few months back:

Oil-based window paint and adhesive lead strips.

Edgar Allan Pwned
Apr 4, 2011

Quoth the Raven "I love the power glove. It's so bad..."
I have a question for traditional artists: How do you practice making art? More specifically, I have been reading a thread about writing, and many people have been saying that you should write for at least 15 min every day for practice. So for traditional visual artists,what is the daily practice equivalent? Do you have different practices for creative work versus technical work?

TheGreekOwl
Mar 1, 2014

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Edgar Allan Pwned posted:

I have a question for traditional artists: How do you practice making art? More specifically, I have been reading a thread about writing, and many people have been saying that you should write for at least 15 min every day for practice. So for traditional visual artists,what is the daily practice equivalent? Do you have different practices for creative work versus technical work?

Depending on the artist, the equivelent would be to get a sketchbook and whip it out a few times each day, everyday, and draw something interesting that you saw or came in your head.

Otherwise, it depends on the artist and the medium he works on. Certain artists practise from life only, others have tutorials, others copy other's works (for study purposes, not plagliarising) etc. Ask each indevidual how he does it and you will get a different answer.

So, how do I practise.

This is the kind of the work I mostly do. First of all, I always have a sketchbook in hand and a mechanical pencil in which I draw in. If anything passes through my head or I see something interesting, I sit down and draw it, depending on how much time I have.

After that, I do a couple inking exercises each day to warm me up. Don't want to get rusty on that.

Finally, for color, every few days I sit down and do a couple of acrylic or watercolor exercises in order not to forget how colors work.

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers
Personally, i'm all about keeping it varied - i'm not worried about improvement so much as keeping motivated, so I tend to come up with a "problem" and enjoy puzzling out how to solve it. Eg, how do I print my own t-shirts, how do I cast a resin chess set. My stuff is heavily towards the craft end of things, but I reckon the same would apply to anything - variety in order to keep motivated.

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

I'm doing a solo show in July. Here's some new stuff I'm working on for it. The first two are portraits modeled by friends of mine.

Last image is probably NSFW.

AltruisticNemesis
Nov 7, 2007
tra la la
I quit my job for my physical and emotional health and decided to start painting more and doing various other crafty-bits. And as a result of having no income until my disability kicks in- I now have an etsy store. (I wont post the link unless someone asks so it's not blatant self-promotion.)

I don't want to image dump too much just yet (mainly cause I dont want to piss y'all off) So sorry if it's too many :(

On a side note- how do you all take pictures of acrylics and have the colors be true to the painting?

(the detail on the robot one)

Hellbeard
Apr 8, 2002

Congrats on the change! Keep at it.

Here's some airbrush practice drawing. Also used some colored pencils and acrylic with a brush.
Based on the previous sketch that's an homage to Shmorky's "installation wizard".

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

Friends Are Evil posted:

I'm doing a solo show in July. Here's some new stuff I'm working on for it. The first two are portraits modeled by friends of mine.

I really like these. Are they water color/ink? Also, are you on tumblr?

Hellbeard
Apr 8, 2002

I drew on a shirt.

Robohobobro
Apr 26, 2013
I've been working mostly in just digital lately, so I figured I should do some oil painting too so I don't become a one-trick pony (more than I am now, that is). This one's a work in progress, pretty happy with it so far:

And here's a finished piece I did a few days back:

Sorry about the fudgy quality, I took these with my phone's camera.

I really dig AltruisticNemesis' Deadpool piece, it packs a nice punch. And grats on the change, hope you'll start feelin' better and GL with the Etsy business.

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

smallmouth posted:

I really like these. Are they water color/ink? Also, are you on tumblr?

A mix of both watercolors and ink, actually. Lines are usually done in pen or pencil.

To answer your other question, I am indeed on tumblr.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

First time life drawing in several years, feeling rusty.

NWS:

I never really know what to do for the backgrounds.

Bubbacub fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Jun 14, 2014

AltruisticNemesis
Nov 7, 2007
tra la la

Bubbacub posted:

*pictures*

Gorgeous! So left handers (at least the ones I know, incl. me) have a thing where they can't help but get the smear on the side of their hand and it makes a weird muddy blur appearance when using pencils and charcoal. Are you left or right handed? How do you not smear everything everywhere? (sorry for all the questions)

moerketid
Jul 3, 2012

AltruisticNemesis posted:

Gorgeous! So left handers (at least the ones I know, incl. me) have a thing where they can't help but get the smear on the side of their hand and it makes a weird muddy blur appearance when using pencils and charcoal. Are you left or right handed? How do you not smear everything everywhere? (sorry for all the questions)

I'm right handed but I still keep a sheet of tracing paper between my hand and the drawing all the time when I work in graphite, I'd assume it works just as well for lefties.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

AltruisticNemesis posted:

Thanks! I'm a lefty. Some smudging always happens, but I think I've mostly conditioned myself to keep my hand off the paper when I'm drawing, or if I do have to touch, I keep my hand fixed in place and don't drag it around. I picked up careful habits from working with india ink, it's kind of crushing to labor over some intricate crosshatched drawing for hours then ruin it with a big smear from wet ink on your hand.