Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Placenta_Souffle
Dec 30, 2010

finga lickin good
http://sabenerica.deviantart.com/art/Goodbye-Mr-Fish-333320428

http://sabenerica.deviantart.com/art/The-Trixter-332501107

http://sabenerica.deviantart.com/art/Lovers-Thorn-302051579

http://sabenerica.deviantart.com/art/Refuge-207974118

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:
Yay, a place where I fit in!

I graduated in 2012 with a BFA in Fibers. The only reason I say this is because I haven't made any artwork since. I'm burnt out or something. It's hard to not have a studio space.

This is from my senior thesis. It's one piece out of 5 and it's pretty small - it fits in the palm of your hand if you crumple it all up.

I originally wanted to do Printmaking and have a background in it, so finally I was able to take lithography and loved it. Too bad I can't do it at home :(

It's definitely not "traditional" in the sense that it's like portraiture or drawings but I'm pretty proud of all of it.

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx

These are nice, but you need to link to the images directly in your posts. Don't direct link to the DA image, please use an image hosting service such as imgur.

QuestWhat
Nov 11, 2012

Shnooks posted:

Yay, a place where I fit in!

I graduated in 2012 with a BFA in Fibers. The only reason I say this is because I haven't made any artwork since. I'm burnt out or something. It's hard to not have a studio space.

This is from my senior thesis. It's one piece out of 5 and it's pretty small - it fits in the palm of your hand if you crumple it all up.

I originally wanted to do Printmaking and have a background in it, so finally I was able to take lithography and loved it. Too bad I can't do it at home :(

It's definitely not "traditional" in the sense that it's like portraiture or drawings but I'm pretty proud of all of it.

Oh, don't worry if traditional/classical subject matter isn't your thing. The "traditional" aspect of this thread is the media that that we use to make the art posted here (in other words, not digital), which you work qualifies for. I'd definitely like to see the remaining 4 pieces of your thesis project if you have some photos of them. :)

Watermelon City
May 10, 2009

Wu-Tang Clan raku bowl :coal:

Duck Party
Feb 26, 2013

There ain't no Party like a Duck Party
Heres a big horned sheep ram commission I did for a band thing. It's acrylic.

Galileo Fingers
Jun 28, 2008

A flower :)

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

What are the dimensions of that? It looks pretty small and I'm always really, really impressed with people that can paint tiny.

Galileo Fingers
Jun 28, 2008

ToxicSlurpee posted:

What are the dimensions of that? It looks pretty small and I'm always really, really impressed with people that can paint tiny.

It's a 5"X5" canvas, done in oil.

Here's another one, 4"X4"

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
Yeah that is small. Fantastic work, in any event. How do you go about painting things that small?

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

New piece for a Twin Peaks-themed exhibition I'm participating in.

Just a Fish
Mar 22, 2012
scalp massager, bunch of fish bowl stones and a hand full of nuts turns in to a metallic plant :D

Smam
Jul 31, 2003
Yay, traditional art!

Just recently finished this guy:
"I am a lizard, a shark, a heat-seeking panther."- watercolor on paper, 2013

It's messy but I haven't used watercolor in ages and felt good about finishing a piece after a long time just doing doodles and making birthday cards for people.
Been testing the waters about trying to sell this but I don't know the first thing about trying to sell art. I mostly paint and draw just for myself, despite a BA in Illustration that says I should be doing more with my work than just sticking it in a folder under my bed.
I just like silly looking celebrities so much- it's pretty much all I ever want to draw. :3:

Ron Don Volante
Dec 29, 2012

^ How much would you be looking to sell that for? I'd definitely be interested in buying at least a print of that if you could make one.

Smam
Jul 31, 2003
edit: $$$ related info moved to freelance thread, or contact me at bobbymilk4@gmail.com

Smam fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Jul 18, 2013

QuestWhat
Nov 11, 2012

Smam posted:

Wow that's awesome! I don't know if it's ok to post about sales in these threads so if not someone let me know and I will edit. Don't want to break any rules or anything. But I'd happily let the painting go for $175-ish framed and I can definitely do prints. If anyone is interested you can let me know at bobbymilk4@gmail.com
I also do commissions of just about anything or would love to trade, other artists in this forum are brilliant!

If you're looking for work/freelance stuff (at least from people on this forum) you should probably post something on the work for hire thread.
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3527487

Smam
Jul 31, 2003
Okay cool thanks, I appreciate the suggestion. I've been painting and drawing for years but the idea of doing it for money is still foreign to me. Derail over. :)

Seneschal
Nov 24, 2008
Finished this last week, it's finally dry.
Oil on panel, 12"x12"

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

New piece.

JuiceOne
Sep 5, 2007

Sooo creepy, Friends Are Evil! And Seneschal, the colors on that piece are sublime. I do chalk pastel murals from time to time, here's my most recent one:

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author
Hmm... Well, I guess this fits here better than any other thread.

I found this crappy faded print of a mountain landscape in the garbage three years ago and held onto it because I liked the frame and thought, "Hey, I can always paint over the panel." But I didn't know what to paint so it sat around for a long while. This is what it looked like, sorta:

Then I needed to give a housewarming gift to my friend (goon friend) and I was broke and I thought I'd try to make something out of his favorite quote. This is the result:

The quote is from here. It's practically the guy's mantra.

Anyway, it didn't take much time and I like the way it turned out. I think I'll make more.

Just a Fish
Mar 22, 2012
Huh, that's a pretty drat good idea, never though of that before

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author
There's a strange effect which is somewhat lost in the photo. When you are looking at it your eyes either focus on reading the letters, or piecing together the landscape, but not both at once, so your focus sort of shifts between this harsh message and the soothing scene, strengthening the contrast between them.

This thing has been sitting in my living room for two weeks now, and it's really depressing as poo poo to encounter it while drinking your first cup of coffee in the morning, so I can't wait to touch it up and give it away.

I would like to try again, though. I am going to go find a cheap 2nd hand painting, and paint over it in blue with "Think about your life, think about your choices," which I think I could handle if it were constantly confronting me.

QuestWhat
Nov 11, 2012
Series of small plein-air landscape paintings that I made between September 2012 and February 2013. I took a landscape painting class during my Junior year as a way to get accustomed to oil paints and working within a time-limit. All pieces are 5”x 7” and made with Oil on muslin boards.

I should revisit/continue this project. Had fun with it the first time.

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

Here's a new ink wash I just completed.

PersonalGenius
Mar 1, 2013

Barefoot on the Moon

twoday posted:

Anyway, it didn't take much time and I like the way it turned out. I think I'll make more.

You totally should make more. You'd probably have no trouble finding more prints like that in thrift stores and people are really into buying typography stuff right now. You can do movie quotes & sell them.

Pineapple Salad
Apr 4, 2012

What a neverending story, Mark!
New semester, new projects.

Warmed up by doing a quick self-portrait, with some weird color choices as I forgot to bring solvents to class.

Still trying to complete last semester's self-portrait, which became overwhelmingly purple over time.

And an unfinished woodcut for some album art.

zwdzk
Dec 12, 2012

smug

Seneschal posted:

Finished this last week, it's finally dry.
Oil on panel, 12"x12"

This is fantastic. I love the color palette. Are there any artists that have inspired you? Keep up the great work.

Rather Tonic
Apr 28, 2008
Here are some small drawings I did as a trade. They are trading card size, 2.5" x 3.5". Graphite and marker, on bristol board.

Also, Seneschal, your painting is gorgeous! I agree, the color pallet is amazing.

TheOnlyStarFish
Apr 22, 2010

"And the fucking pants. Goddammit, the fucking pants. again. If there is anyone on this planet who likes those fucking pants other than you 3 people, they’re probably 5 years old and laugh at anything random."
Trying out a new technique for painting. Pencil drawing with acrylic wash.

This is just acrylic.

mareep
Dec 26, 2009

So in a fit of sudden inspiration I've started getting back into painting again. I'd like to work in oils but I don't have any studio space to speak of and nowhere safe to leave that sort of a thing, besides having a huge amount of student-quality acrylics laying around that I really ought to use. I also wanted to work on panel, so on a trip to the art supply store I ended up picking up a 6-set of Golden acrylics and some wood panels!

I've been enjoying it so much I'd like to start using higher-quality paints, but I'm about to get crazy into paint mixing and I'd like to learn a little more about that. I've got the basics and have a reasonable grasp on how to successfully mix a color match, but I'm wondering if it's better to try and mix your own colors as best you can or just buy a tube of whatever color you're gunning for. Like, why mix your own teal if you can just buy a giant tube of it? Is there a good reason to lean either way? I'm assuming it's better to start with mixing your own palette, and it seems like you can get a really broad range of color this way. I'd love to hear if anyone has a particular way they like to deal with color mixing.

QuestWhat
Nov 11, 2012

redcheval posted:

Paint mixing.

Depends on the situation. I generally mix my colors but sometimes for the sake of connivence I just purchase a tube of the color I'm looking for (usually when the same color I mixed didn't come out right/looked dull).

As for me, I've recently have gotten back into linocut printing and decided to make some stickers out of them as an experiment:

(print run of 53)
(print run of 30)

It was fun. I think I'll make some more...

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx

redcheval posted:

I've been enjoying it so much I'd like to start using higher-quality paints, but I'm about to get crazy into paint mixing and I'd like to learn a little more about that. I've got the basics and have a reasonable grasp on how to successfully mix a color match, but I'm wondering if it's better to try and mix your own colors as best you can or just buy a tube of whatever color you're gunning for. Like, why mix your own teal if you can just buy a giant tube of it? Is there a good reason to lean either way? I'm assuming it's better to start with mixing your own palette, and it seems like you can get a really broad range of color this way. I'd love to hear if anyone has a particular way they like to deal with color mixing.
Learning how to mix colors isn't just about being able to get the color you wanted. It's mostly about understanding how colors shift, and about learning how to handle your materials. Learning how to mix color is like learning how to play an instrument. As you experiment with adding tiny touches of colors and seeing how it affects the overall harmony, how colors look next to each other, how much pigment you need to get a color where you want it -- as you practice these things, you become one with the medium like a skilled musician. You learn to transpose colors, appreciate the relationships between colors, and know more and more immediately how to capture the colors you see in nature.

Having a tube of a color like teal isn't wrong or bad; in fact, you can create some really cool limited palette compositions using shifted primaries. Like, for instance, take your teal, and use that as the blue. Then you could use an Indian red or burnt sienna for your red, and a light tint of raw umber for your yellow. The range of colors you'll mix from that will be awesome.

Get the book Alla Prima by Richard Schmid. One of the biggest things he emphasizes is doing extensive color grids, mixing each paint with each other and with white, until you really, REALLY know what you're dealing with.

mareep
Dec 26, 2009

Awesome, thanks so much for this info. I'll definitely check out Alla Prima (yikes that book is ridiculously expensive on Amazon!). I am really excited to work on this, it's crazy how much something so simple as just beginning to play around with color mixing can show you how little you really knew about color theory!

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Hey I can actually participate in this thread, I just got back into finishing my degree. First piece of the year, and I really like it.
Plaster cast of my hand, red thread, and an old picture frame.

"Hand in Red"

Yeah I know I suck at names.
EDIT: Man my phone camera is crap, its actually a bit darker than it appears in the picture.

Dreadwroth fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Sep 11, 2013

QuestWhat
Nov 11, 2012
/\/\/\ That's pretty dope! How long did it take to make?

Here's something I've finished recently:

Mark
15” x 20”
Watercolors and Pen Ink on Paper
September 10, 2013

This was an assignment for my Watercolors class. We had to pick a cliched subject matter in watercolor painting (lighthouses, closeups of eyes, fairies, etc.) and give it a twist. I got wolves and it occurred to me that I’ve never seen a painting of a wolf pissing on something to mark it’s territory (although I have seen photographs of them doing it in the National Geographic and such) so I thought; “Sure, why not.” I haven’t used watercolors in a couple years (granted, I’ve have done plenty of ink washes though) so I’m surprised that this came out much better than I had expected.

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich
/\/\/\Nice painting, I could never do a watercolor that was anything but totally absract./\/\
I think it took a couple of days total for the plaster to dry, the rest took a few minutes since I used an entire spool of thread to keep it in place. The next project is gonna take a lot longer, I have to construct a piece of wearable art to be entered in a local worn art fashion show thing. I have a wicker basket, lots of rope, a pile of tshirts, duct tape, and a canvas dropcloth. I think this is gonna be pretty cool, pics to come.

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed
I'll share two pieces from my new series, which is called "Frosted Glass"

I'm working with a professor who did a research project about women who were addicted to crystal meth, the interviews took place at a recovery program. The interviewee for my transcriptions was addicted to meth for 20 years and was 11 years sober at the time of the interviews. I'm working with this professor for 12 weeks and she wants me to do a piece each week and we're hoping to get an exhibition together combining my art, her art, and the art of a third student at another university. It's exciting because I work three jobs (including this one), and am a grad student so art kind of gets put on the back burner most of the time. Because I have to do one piece a week with all this, I can't really dedicate a huge amount of time but I'm pleased with the results so far.

"Frosted Glass" is a mixed media series based on the transcriptions of three interviews with a recovered meth addict regarding her long battle with addiction. Three interviews were reviewed to create the pieces involved, and there is a mix of style to relate to both times of lucidity and times of anguish and struggle in the interviewees life.

"Frosted Glass" is ongoing.

"Mother"
18”x24”, watercolour and ink on paper
This is the first piece of my “Frosted Glass” series, and focuses on the interviewees life as a mother. She spoke of how she tried to keep her addiction away from her children and one method of this was by spending money on toys to keep them busy while she was using crystal meth. I began to reflect on what the norm and ideal is of mothers, and immediately I thought of the Madonna. She is representative of pure love, and I drew connections between how the interviewees children might have thought of her when getting luxurious gifts, and juxtaposed that ideal with the reality. In many classical depictions, the Madonna has an elongated waist, which I chose to connect with the dramatic weight loss the interviewee experienced, as she stated her doctor’s showed much concern for her health due to how underweight she had been after admitting herself to a recovery program.

DOGBITE

18”x24”
Ink and watercolour on paper

This piece does not focus on the interviewee, but instead on someone she knew. The interviewee spoke of hearing about a friends death on the news. He had stolen a car and was pursued by the police, including a K-9 unit. The acquaintance of the interviewee shot the police dog, and was shot by the police after. The dog lived, but the suspect died. I had this clear image in my head of the adrenaline of the entire situation; the two animals with one of the most basic instincts: fight or flight. One had the duty to fight, the other was attempting flight but wound up fighting. The man was like a cornered animal and was lashing out, just like the dog. I couldn’t help but begin to equate the two and their primal impulses.

A side note on the second, I was having trouble getting "in" to it. I wanted so badly to try and convey a raw feeling of the dog/persons aggression. I kind of went along and then remembered a song I used to listen to when running: Becoming Insane by Infected Mushroom. I put on my headphones, cranked the volume and holy poo poo. My mind. The music just reonated in me so much, the guitar, the bass...I felt a huge rush, the most exhilarated I have felt in a long, long time. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kipooHI1NGc

Not sure if it's kosher or not but I'll be posting each piece on my tumblr..http://trespois.tumblr.com/

Arthus
Nov 11, 2011

SansUnicorn

Rather Tonic posted:

Here are some small drawings I did as a trade. They are trading card size, 2.5" x 3.5". Graphite and marker, on bristol board.

Also, Seneschal, your painting is gorgeous! I agree, the color pallet is amazing.

These are amazing, great detail.

I've been on a fish trip as well. No idea why I ended up with a cubefish though, ball and pyramidfish are halfway done as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feste
Apr 7, 2009

twoday posted:

Hmm... Well, I guess this fits here better than any other thread.

I found this crappy faded print of a mountain landscape in the garbage three years ago and held onto it because I liked the frame and thought, "Hey, I can always paint over the panel." But I didn't know what to paint so it sat around for a long while. This is what it looked like, sorta:

Then I needed to give a housewarming gift to my friend (goon friend) and I was broke and I thought I'd try to make something out of his favorite quote. This is the result:

You should totally check out the documentary on Wayne White called Beauty is Embarrassing (on Netflix). He worked on Pee Wee's playhouse among other notable achievements, but he sometimes paints text over thriftshop landscapes.

Some have related text, other times it's just something really goofy or profane.