Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

o jerusalem
Jan 21, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

learning to love the mechanical pencil

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

o jerusalem posted:

learning to love the mechanical pencil
this is extremely rad my friend

o jerusalem
Jan 21, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
thank you! i've had to abandon my paint and ink due to being in a rental, so atm it's pencil or nothing :(

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

o jerusalem posted:

thank you! i've had to abandon my paint and ink due to being in a rental, so atm it's pencil or nothing :(
aw that sucks :( why don't they let you use paint and ink?

o jerusalem
Jan 21, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
it might get on the carpet! :supaburn: :byodood:

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

o jerusalem posted:

it might get on the carpet! :supaburn: :byodood:
man I'd just lay down a big rear end tarp on the carpet and do it when no ones looking. don't let me lead you astray though

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

the mirror would do well to reflect further

Doodling dragons again.

Carotid
Dec 18, 2008

We're all doing it
Watercolor tea kettle:

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

Have been working on this slowly. Not really sure where to place the figure, like do I want a scene or just a background of colour? I'm having trouble deciding. The reference I've used is against a plain white background.

Skoora
Sep 29, 2009

true leftist
Feb 1, 2018

by zen death robot
nvm i found an unopened 12-pack of watercolour pencils, the mysterious no man's land between pencil and paint, my landlords can go eat rear end

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana
Hot drat that is gorgeous.

Carotid
Dec 18, 2008

We're all doing it
Did a quick bungalow study:

true leftist
Feb 1, 2018

by zen death robot

Neon Noodle posted:

Hot drat that is gorgeous.
thank you friend. i'm thinking about starting my lamentable webcomic again in full watercolour, although i will be doing the sky digitally because i can't afford actual watercolour paper and gently caress this blotchy nonsense

please ignore the diagonal horizon line, it was late and i was high

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

Are you using professional grade paints? If you aren’t, please start :ohdear:

true leftist
Feb 1, 2018

by zen death robot
never. it's a betrayal to my art to use anything but dollar store crayons on the inside of a mcdonalds happy meal box

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

true leftist posted:

never. it's a betrayal to my art to use anything but dollar store crayons on the inside of a mcdonalds happy meal box

...but that's MY medium of choice!!

true leftist
Feb 1, 2018

by zen death robot
^ this niche isn't big enough for both of us. crayons at dawn

i found some paper. happy year of the dog everyone

i'll stop spamming the thread soon, i have bursts of energy where i make eighty drawings in a month but then i don't do anything for two years and two years from now there'll probably be no internet

InevitableCheese
Jul 10, 2015

quite a pickle you've got there

Been playing around with organic forms, does anyone have tips for cross-contour lines? I feel like I don’t know where to run them half the time.

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

InevitableCheese posted:

Been playing around with organic forms, does anyone have tips for cross-contour lines? I feel like I don’t know where to run them half the time.

my favorites are the ones that look like dicks

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

Kanine posted:

my favorites are the ones that look like dicks

I found that once I started seeing dicks in one bit of work I would see dicks in all types of work! Just got a case of dick brain I guess.

InevitableCheese posted:

I'm not sure if this answers your question, but when I look at these I feel like they all look like 'slices' of something, the little bits of straight line shading you added don't follow the form, so the sides look flat instead of rounded.

InevitableCheese
Jul 10, 2015

TheMostFrench posted:

I'm not sure if this answers your question, but when I look at these I feel like they all look like 'slices' of something, the little bits of straight line shading you added don't follow the form, so the sides look flat instead of rounded.

Yeah, good point. Adding those wasn’t part of the exercise, but i was trying to see how 3D they would look with some basic shadows. When it’s just the cross-contours they still look pretty flat.

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

It looks like you’re working from the CGMA/Peter Han curriculum (or the adapted one from Draw a Box). Here’s another resource for that concept:

http://jimsoper.blogspot.com/2015/11/structure-lesson.html

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

TheMostFrench posted:

I found that once I started seeing dicks in one bit of work I would see dicks in all types of work! Just got a case of dick brain I guess.

art school did that to me

Carotid
Dec 18, 2008

We're all doing it
Sloppy quick snow cabin:

Dick Holden
Jul 18, 2003

Purple!

InevitableCheese posted:

I like what Steve Huston says about this. If you're drawing lines to show organic form, ie. curved lines, lean into it. It's better to be too curvy than not curvy enough. Work back from there if it doesn't feel right.

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

Anyone here done resin art? I bought some resin and I am hoping to layer some lace over drawings on panel.

Kanine posted:

art school did that to me

Same but vaginas

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

Did a little inking on an old sketch.

another quickie:

true leftist posted:

^ this niche isn't big enough for both of us. crayons at dawn

i found some paper. happy year of the dog everyone

This is great BTW. Crayons at dawn it is!!

sigma 6 fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Feb 14, 2018

InevitableCheese
Jul 10, 2015

Beginner stuff. Been doing Watts Atelier online courses.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
cross post from Other Places Online....finally got some GD gouache

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!
Gouache is deadly.

Duck Party
Feb 26, 2013

There ain't no Party like a Duck Party
A piece I made for the 'Apple and Onion' gallery happening at Cartoon Network in celebration of the release of the new show 'Apple and Onion' which I was lucky enough to work on.
It's acrylic and paper cut out. the inner size is 5x7 the frame is 8x10

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
Does anyone have experience exhibiting art in gallery spaces? I'm starting to submit to places and was curious about some of the details of that world, mainly in terms of gallery fees and pricing your own work. Like what is a reasonable fee to pay for a membership if you're just starting, are there "starter" galleries? How much/or little of my work should I expect to move early on and how does that factor into what I sell it for? Hell, how many paintings do successful artists move per month or per year? If any of y'all have answers to this or more advice it would be greatly appreciated

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

Added a lot of shading to the hair tonight. The end is in sight.

and a little life drawing.

sigma 6 fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Mar 6, 2018

Parachute
May 18, 2003

Duck Party posted:

A piece I made for the 'Apple and Onion' gallery happening at Cartoon Network in celebration of the release of the new show 'Apple and Onion' which I was lucky enough to work on.
It's acrylic and paper cut out. the inner size is 5x7 the frame is 8x10

this is rad and something id want to hang in my kids' room

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!
I sold a mid '70s Sepulveda CA Vox V846 wah for $300 and used the money to buy linocutting tools and inks. These are from my first print run. :hellyeah:

More similar garbage on my instagram.

EDIT:

Duck Party posted:

Omg so you know Matt Layzell then? IS HE A GOON?!

XYZAB fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Mar 14, 2018

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!
Edit: QUOTE IS NOT EDIT

Duck Party
Feb 26, 2013

Yes I know Matt, I've worked with him on both Apple and Onion and Pinky Malinky. I don't think he's a goon, but it's not something I ask people.

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!
That's awesome that you know him. I think I found him through his cartoon fashion drawings of women dressed up in like, pool noodles and see-through plastic cubes. It stopped me in my tracks scrolling through Instagram one day. Do you have the scoop on whether Kitty and Orc is getting its own show? (Please say yes.) :)

Back to the thread topic, I started another linocut. This one needs a couple more layers, but it's getting there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duck Party
Feb 26, 2013

I agree, it would be super cool if Matt got his own show. Unfortunately pick ups for shows are very protected by the networks. Anyone in the know about any pickup can get in big trouble for saying anything especially on the internet. Sometimes shows have been in production for several months to a year before they are officially announced. So basically until there is an official announcement of any show the answer is always 'no, there is no show' even when that's a lie. I personally did short with Nickelodeon a couple years ago and I couldn't tell anyone about that until it was officially announced, so it can be particularly frustrating sometimes. We all just want to tell the world but we can't.