Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Space.Plant
Jul 23, 2006
Since there's no watercolor megathread, I hope this is the closest one for this.

I want to get some supplementary colors to expand my watercolor color palette. I do have the warm and cool primaries, plus burnt sienna.
The colors I have (all are Winsor&Newton artists' watercolors):
  • permanent rose (PV 19)
  • cadmium red (PR 108)
  • aureolin (PY 40)
  • lemon yellow (PY 53)
  • cobalt blue
  • french ultramarine (PB 29)
  • burnt sienna (PR 101)

A friend also suggested Payne's gray or indigo for a "black". Help please. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space.Plant
Jul 23, 2006

QuestWhat posted:

Advice for for supplies and techniques of traditional media are welcome here :).

I'm not the most experienced with watercolors but I think you should add some secondary colors to your palette (preferably 2 greens, oranges, and violets). Payne's grey isn't bad but I think it looks a little dull (I generally use dark blues or browns for "blacks" depending on whether the object painted is supposed to be warm or cool). I'd also recommend that you get some raw sienna and burnt umber for earth tones if you can.

neonnoodle posted:

Payne's grey is great, def get some. Also you should have some burnt umber.

One thing that jumps out at me is that you don't have a cyan. Cobalt is a little bit cooler than ultramarine, but you might consider getting a phthalo cyan. The greens you get with that will be MUCH brighter. Phthalo cyan + burnt sienna = awesome purples. Be sparing with it, though, because it is really strong and tends to dominate mixes.

You don't need a tube green. Your green problems will be solved if you get a proper cyan.
Thank you both for your help! :)