Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I don't know really where to ask this but kind of a newbie question, does anyone have any suggestions for like baby's first art? like, just google youtube "how do I make art" or does anyone have any more specialized recs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I don't know much about art so I picked up a manga art book and started trying to copy the source images that show you how to do the thing step by step

I want to be better to draw my own stuff but I figure this is a decent enough incentive to will myself to do something

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Harvey Mantaco posted:

I did my first painting.

Oh come ON.

Great job.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

WaterIsPoison posted:

Finished my first painting today. Oils using the Draw Mix Paint method, not sure if anyone has tried it before. I've never really done art before, so pretty surprised by the results I guess.

What the gently caress.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Did this at a drink & paint type event.

Not bad, even though the crummy paint and brushes fought me the entire time

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Effective-Disorder posted:

You clearly drank enough, because that looks great!

The lady organizing it asked me and the gf if we were artists, and I was like "she's the art major, I just paint miniatures:gerty:"

edit:

vvvv thanks folks

GreenBuckanneer fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Oct 28, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I haven't painted anything that large in probably.....man I don't know, 15 years?

The entire time I was trying to use what I've learned, but being constrained to 2 hours kind of rushed me, but, in a good way?

The yellow was too transparent, but I didn't want to mix it with white because I didn't want it to be pastel (we had R/B/Y and W/B) and I didn't really feel like I had time to mix the paints with the tools I had, and the brushes were, they were really bad, and then I was unfamiliar with the paint itself, so changing its viscosity on a large scale was also unfamiliar. It looked like they just squirted a large amount on the palette, so it looked chunky, and the blue thinned out enough, but then I needed to cover a lot of ground and didn't want there to be too much obvious brush strokes. I also was going for purple and completely forgot I needed to lighten the mix I was doing to get that effect...:downs:, so I just went with that. the gold metallic I could not for the life of me, make it less "gloopy", it was so thick I just said gently caress it and started loading the brush up and dabbing it instead of stroking with it.

I was more familiar than the gf with acrylics (she was complaining the entire time wishing it was oil paints) and the entire time I was cursing under my breath "I wish I had my nice brushes and some of my paints at home, I could do this so much better with those" :hmmyes:

The person leading the event offered everyone some glitter spray to help seal it and make it glittery, but I think if I did that I'd mask the cat and moon off, then spray the sky exclusively. Maybe once it dries

GreenBuckanneer fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Oct 28, 2022