Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eggyolk
Nov 8, 2007

Big post coming up.

One of my old coworkers

Long story short, I used to work as a commercial sign painter. It was a cool, life destroying job, so now I'm making a painting about it.

The initial sketch

Sketch fleshed out

Transfered to wood panel and painted

Bit more progress

Beginning variegated loose leafing

Border leaf on, figure nearly done

Close up of current stage

So I was wondering if anyone has any experience painting over metal leaf. I've read that painting over imitation leaf is fine with oils except for minor adhesion issues. Most likely I'll seal the leaf before doing a second coat just to be safe. Plan is to put imitation gold over the black lettering, and genuine copper behind the figure for the setting sun. Then a sealing coat, then Mucha-esque line work. Any recommendations for safe ways to go about this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eggyolk
Nov 8, 2007

Tardigrade posted:

Anyone have experience with water-soluble coloring pencils? I recently splurged on a bunch of materials and picked up a box of Prismacolors since I've never tried using them before. Anything they do particularly well?

They're pretty awesome tools. Pair them with a water brush like this and you can get really cool effects in a really portable package. They don't do big flat washes too well but they're ace when you want to soften line work.

eggyolk
Nov 8, 2007

Autechresaint posted:

I've been in the video game industry as a 3d artist for the past 14 years but I am currently unemployed and bored. I've always had a love for watercolors, ever since high school, and have started doing pet portraits for my friends and commission. Here are a few examples of my recent works.

These are really well done and especially precise. What's your process like?

eggyolk
Nov 8, 2007

Autechresaint posted:

Quick question for anyone who sells paintings here, what would you charge for a watercolor portrait like this?

It really depends on your market, material costs, time, and audience, but what matters most is building a network of clients. Then you can charge based on the demand your work garners, or just be so spectacularly good that clients are willing to bid on your service. Do some stuff of friends for free, paint surprise pieces from social media photos, do practice pieces of celebrities and popular figures, build up a portfolio that can back up your asking price.

It also helps immensely to have a rock solid structure to your painting approach. When people see consistency in your art they're more likely to throw some bills your way for it. If your portfolio is a few completely disparate pieces then no body can really be sure what they're paying for.

eggyolk
Nov 8, 2007

Stroszek posted:

From a photo by Vivian Maier.

What material is this? Seems like you're losing a lot of information from the source, particularly the depth of the scene and the form of the figures. Could just be your photo though.

eggyolk
Nov 8, 2007

Keep cross checking your reference. Maybe look at it in a mirror or flip it digitally to keep it fresh. For a first pass it's mostly there. Better photos of the painting would help a bunch of course.

eggyolk
Nov 8, 2007

Cool project, are you using resin? How do you arrange the pieces in the bottles? Would be great to get a better idea of your process, sounds like there's a lot you could do with it, especially if it is resin as there's been a lot of similar medium work around here in Brooklyn.

eggyolk
Nov 8, 2007

ursa_minor posted:

really small drawings

I really dig these. Any particular reason for doing the exploded structures? These seem like a perfect entry for a small works show. Lots of potential for development in the idea. Maybe experiment with different formats of paper.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eggyolk
Nov 8, 2007

Hellbeard posted:

I got a bunch of stuff I ordered so I'm trying out techniques and combinations. I'm using Talens China Black ink with a "school" and "Mapping" nib, Kuretake Zig Clean Color brush-pens, Mitsubishi uni Posca white paint marker and Faber Castell Polychromos on Strathmore 300 Sequential medium - Vellum finish.

:nws: http://i.imgur.com/s8wscBC.jpg :nws:

I'm really digging the pencils on the Vellum finish. I like the white marker ability very much too. I wonder if there are other ways of adding brighter colors. I'm considering getting some gouache.

Modedit: please link to NWS images

Looks good, you'll probably really enjoy gouache. I use white gouache on my inked drawings to add highlights. It's great because it doesn't resist more linework like watercolor tends to. Plus you can push it around any time you feel like because it's never truly dry.

Here's a picture of my finished painting from a few pages ago.