Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.
There's a lot of really great stuff in here. I appreciate all the talent. Friends Are Evil's stuff really works for me. I'm a big fan of all that dark, forbidding atmosphere.

I made this silly thing for my buddy's wedding gift. He's a huge Nightmare fan, and I got Robert Englund to sign the back. His wife, another good friend, hates Freddy and gave me the stinkeye when he opened this.

This project is pretty cool, these two really sticking out to me in particular. Nice work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Kind of a silly question, but do you use a stamp for your signature, or is that painted by hand?

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Made this for another friends' wedding. They're both Futurama/Daft Punk fans, so I thought I'd combine 'em. Bender came out too blue, though it has a better contrast than the photo makes it seem. He's got a bit of a blue cast to him in the show, but when I painted him he was too gray. So I thought I'd add a little blue wash, try to thin the paint with water and have some of the gray still come through. But I still have no idea what I'm doing and wasn't sure how much water to use with the acrylics before it got too diluted and wouldn't hold. I guess I used too little and he ended up too blue. Calculon was too flat just plain gold, so I went and mussed him up, I guess trying to give him a burnished metal look, but he sorta just looks like he fell in the mud. Still, I think overall it came out okay for me not really having the right skills to pull it off correctly. I think I need to stick to more abstract stuff in the future.

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Found some small 3"x3" canvasses at Michael's, did a little something for the season.

Didn't really realize until I took the pictures how much you can still tell where I painted over the skull with black. It used to be bigger, but I wasn't as happy with the skull when I looked at it the next day, so I painted over part of it, made it smaller. Needs a little more black over those parts, I guess.

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Dreadwroth posted:

Got back into the swing of things, working on a brand new painting.
"The One Who Feeds" wip

Posting from Awful app, let me know if that breaks tables.

This is pretty neat. Any further along by now?

Been thinking a lot about witches and sorcery and stuff lately for some reason. Made this the other night.

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

TheAbominableSnow posted:

Crossposting from the Goonmail thread. I made some Cryptid-themed holiday cards (Cryptidsmas) to send to folks over there and I'm still super pleased with them, so I figured I'd stick them here too.

These are all wonderful, but for whatever reason the Flatwoods Monster really sticks out to me. Great work. Gonna be some happy goons getting those.

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Team Lunch posted:

I was inspired by TheAbominableSnow to try and draw a wendigo:

White color pencils are fun.

Holy poo poo. I would buy a print of that.

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Got some brighter shades for Christmas, decided to do this silly idea I've had for a bit.

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

These are all outstanding. What paper are you doing these on? Definitely still interested in prints of some of these if you get around to it.

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

This belongs in a museumon a thrash metal album. This is great.

Friends Are Evil posted:

Here's something new.

As is this. I continue to love your work. I assume those are prints in your store, right?

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Wow. Will this and/or the one with the teeth from your last post go up for sale eventually, or are you keeping those?

Also, I got Cephalophore in the mail yesterday, and it's amazing. Just need to find a suitable frame for it.

Crocobile posted:

Hope I didn't kill the thread. :x Here's an acrylic painting I did recently, a Lord of the Flies fanart/tribute. Finding reference for a severed pig's head was way way easier than I would have ever imagined.

This is great work.

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Team Lunch posted:

I've put up the ones so far in a society6 page if anyone wants to get a print.

Nice, I'll have to grab a few soon. Out of curiosity, what are the dimensions of the originals?

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Boi Hole posted:

A couple of my paintings are going to be displayed in a local art gallery - the first time any of my stuff has been shown in public.

I'd hang these on my wall.

Hellbeard posted:

Another illustration.

Those space bus schedules are hard to figure out.

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

I like this gorilla. Good work!

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

I really like the deer on the music sheet. And the raccoon has a neat style going on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

I think they're referring to the texture of the canvas. Canvas is woven, and the interlocked fabric has a pattern to it. I think they're saying that for this type of image, that texture coming through the paint throws the image off, and that you'd be better off doing it on paper that doesn't have such an obvious texture to it. I can see where they're coming from. The penguin is all solid colors and straight edges. Looking at it, I see the origami influence, and would expect it to be smooth like paper would be, but the canvas texture isn't quite smooth so the image looks off. Whereas on paper you'd get that smoother origami look. At least I think that's what's being said.