Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carotid
Dec 18, 2008

We're all doing it
Your pottery is awesome, HollisBrown!

I'm teaching myself how to paint with watercolors. Half the battle is just learning to let the paint do its thing.

I'm using poo poo quality paint, at some point I need to pony up and get better pigments. The burnt umber I have right now is tragically gritty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carotid
Dec 18, 2008

We're all doing it
Finally started taking formal watercolor classes, here's the result of class 1:

Hooray pear. I realized today that I have never painted a still life, and hoo boy you learn soooo much faster when you're painting what's in front of you. Can't wait to see how I progress over the next few weeks.

Carotid
Dec 18, 2008

We're all doing it

Bubbacub posted:

Yeah, isn't it fun? You'll use watercolors for years and the medium will still surprise you, but the initial jump from making smudgy blobs to having the control to render images is always exciting. You have a great start! Post more paintings as you go.

Thank you! Yeah, I made a million smudgy blobs before I got the confidence to try painting actual things. Taking classes is really increasing my output; it's nice how class makes me want to practice what I learn on my own. I painted this still life on Monday:

And this still life was from my last class, where we were supposed to experiment with mixing grays:

I felt kind of stuck with this painting. I don't know if it's because the setup for the still life was a little too far from where I was sitting, but I had trouble judging value and shadow placement this time, on top of almost completely neglecting highlights. This, along with feeling lazy, resulted less of a real-life rendering of the still life than I would like. I'm going to practice fading out my edges more without scrubbing them to death.

Carotid fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Jun 26, 2014

Carotid
Dec 18, 2008

We're all doing it

Carlton Banks Teller posted:

Working on a triptych for a summer class and have my 1st and 3rd 6"x6" panels worked out:

Yeah, this is awesome.

Just finished my forth watercolor class, we did a standard still life in color:

I ran out of time before I could darken the shadows on the table, but overall I'm pretty pleased with it. I feel like I'm improving a lot on making things look more realistic.

Carotid fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Jul 9, 2014

Carotid
Dec 18, 2008

We're all doing it

DEO3 posted:

Here's my latest, I don't feel I'm quite finished with it, but it needs to be submitted to a show in a couple of hours - so time's up!

"Alone the Dark" 14x11 on Scratchboard

Loving this, great job.

My boyfriend loves to talk about history/mythology/folk tales, and one of his favorite stories is the Navajo myth of the Coyote throwing the stars into the sky. So i wanted to do a watercolor painting of it for his birthday:

Carotid
Dec 18, 2008

We're all doing it
One of the reasons why I chose watercolor over acrylic was because I knew my lazy rear end would ruin too many brushes from not cleaning them thoroughly.

More coyote-related painting, this time a coyote skull:

Carotid
Dec 18, 2008

We're all doing it

This is watercolor and brush pen, I used a warm red, cool yellow, and cool blue primary color palette. Pretty happy with the transparency of the color, I've been having trouble laying down layers that were too thick.

Carotid
Dec 18, 2008

We're all doing it
More improvised watercolor painting:

This is my biggest improvised piece yet, at 11" x 15". The reindeer skull one I posted earlier is in a small watercolor book I made, which is about 7.5" x 9.5" when open. This one was particularly fun since I had enough space to use a big fluffy 1" oval wash brush for the paint. The ink is a Pentel brush pen, a water brush pen filled with sumi ink for large areas, and a Pitt pen for details. Pretty happy with this one.

Carotid fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Apr 6, 2016

Carotid
Dec 18, 2008

We're all doing it
I feel like I can smell that page. I mean that in the best way.

Carotid
Dec 18, 2008

We're all doing it
Yup, echoing everyone that those are beautiful. I'm still working on developing a confident hand when inking. Do you have any particular tips/suggestions, or is it mostly a matter of practice-practice-practice?

Carotid
Dec 18, 2008

We're all doing it
I found an old Moleskine watercolor book I haven't painted in in a while (the paper quality is ehh) and decided to give it another go. Turns out the paper can hold more layers of color than I thought, and I do like the smooth texture. I got sick for Memorial Day weekend so I've had plenty of free time at home to churn out a few pages:

Carotid
Dec 18, 2008

We're all doing it
Double-post for coyote:

Carotid
Dec 18, 2008

We're all doing it

Did a bowl of ramen, still learning how to use colored pencils in a satisfactory way that complements watercolor.

Carotid
Dec 18, 2008

We're all doing it
^^^ Fantastic, VP.

Tulips in springtime are Chicago's way of saying "I'm sorry about winter, babe. Will you take me back?"

Carotid
Dec 18, 2008

We're all doing it
Pomegranate:

Carotid
Dec 18, 2008

We're all doing it
Avocados:

Carotid
Dec 18, 2008

We're all doing it
Dual-sex butterfly, watercolor, brush pen and metallic Sharpies:

Carotid
Dec 18, 2008

We're all doing it
This is a drawing one of my coworker's child clients had done:

I saw it at my coworker's desk and was really struck by the design. So I made this watercolor painting inspired by it:

Carotid
Dec 18, 2008

We're all doing it
Another cool drawing by one of my coworker's kid clients:

Inspiring another watercolor painting:

Carotid
Dec 18, 2008

We're all doing it
Blue shroomin' :shroom:

Carotid
Dec 18, 2008

We're all doing it
Flower rod:

Carotid
Dec 18, 2008

We're all doing it
Rainy late November:

Stylin' new glasses:

Carotid fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Nov 29, 2016

Carotid
Dec 18, 2008

We're all doing it
Fair Isle mittens:

Carotid
Dec 18, 2008

We're all doing it

It's really loving cold in Chicago right now

Carotid
Dec 18, 2008

We're all doing it
Lovebirds Pete and Bert:

Carotid
Dec 18, 2008

We're all doing it

More bird

Edit:

For jellyfish

Carotid fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Dec 27, 2016

Carotid
Dec 18, 2008

We're all doing it
Breaking in a new notebook with a crow woman:

Carotid
Dec 18, 2008

We're all doing it

HungryMedusa posted:

Carotid - those sketches are all delightful. I would love to see something in an opaque medium from you. I think you would kill it.

I've been considering trying out gouache, actually. I used acrylics for a little bit in the past but I don't like how they make notebook pages stick together. Does anyone have recommendations for a good brand for gouache? I don't mind starting off with the good stuff.

Carotid
Dec 18, 2008

We're all doing it

A rooster with some failed Sharpie feather experimentation for 2017

Carotid
Dec 18, 2008

We're all doing it
Practicing some negative space painting, definitely some room for improvement:

Carotid
Dec 18, 2008

We're all doing it
Yes, it's based on an exercise in Gordon MacKenzie's "Complete Watercolorist's Essential Notebook." All of my recent paintings have been very fixed with bold lines and solid colors, so I felt the need to practice something different and more fluid.

Carotid
Dec 18, 2008

We're all doing it
More watercolor and metallic Sharpies:

Carotid
Dec 18, 2008

We're all doing it
More watercolor:

Carotid
Dec 18, 2008

We're all doing it

Munoma posted:

Is this supposed to be something?

What is the story behind the art?

No story, just made it up as I drew.

Carotid
Dec 18, 2008

We're all doing it
Still on an ornate ladies kick:

Good lord, Daniel Smith watercolors are SO vibrant :lsd:

Carotid
Dec 18, 2008

We're all doing it
Sodalite genuine is great for hair:

Carotid
Dec 18, 2008

We're all doing it
More ladies:

I'm dipping my toes into mixing skin tones. I think I'm starting to figure it out. Definitely need more value though.

Carotid
Dec 18, 2008

We're all doing it
That's a nice coq you got there

Carotid
Dec 18, 2008

We're all doing it

Avshalom posted:

hail kokhabiel

Love your style, great job.

More watercolor:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carotid
Dec 18, 2008

We're all doing it

I've been practicing faces lately; slowly but surely getting better with proportions.