Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

I've been doing a lot of figurative studies in oil with a palette knife. Spoiled for newds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

I'm still working on nudes with a palette knife and oils. I'm hoping I can show some of these locally soon.

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

Friends Are Evil posted:

I'm doing a solo show in July. Here's some new stuff I'm working on for it. The first two are portraits modeled by friends of mine.

I really like these. Are they water color/ink? Also, are you on tumblr?

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

A couple more paintings I did this week. I think I may put down the palette knife for awhile.

IMG_0729 by philip painter, on Flickr

IMG_0724 by philip painter, on Flickr

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

A painting I did in oil and pencil. I hope to use this technique on a new series.

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

I'm just starting out with oil, but what I've learned so far...

Oils take a long time to dry, particularly if you lay them on thick. Some of my knife paintings take weeks to dry to the touch, and even then may take months before they set completely.

You can dilute paints with a bit of turpenoid and they will dry faster, but using too much turp can cause cracking. I usually use turp with my paint for initial washes and the underpainting. Other thinning mediums like linseed or safflower oil slow the drying time even more. I haven't noticed that cold wax affects drying time much either way.

Also some substrates are better at drying faster. I use Dick Blick's multimedia board for some of my paintings, which sets up the paint very quickly compared to canvas.

That said I don't paint like Bob Ross with a base layer of white for blending.

Here's a portrait I'm calling done before I overwork it. It's a bad pic, but you get the idea. I learn so much with each piece.

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

Here's some mixed media sketches I did this morning. I'm hoping to do some larger, more finished pieces like this with models.

140726-1 by philip painter, on Flickr

140726-2 by philip painter, on Flickr

140726-2detail by philip painter, on Flickr

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

perceptron posted:

I'm just spinning my wheels at the moment but heres a late one. Lots of masking tape and slow construction.

Is this a completely dead image or is there something interesting? Ive been losing out on a lot of competitions and opportunities recently but i've spent so long staring at stuff I'm completely lost as to how to judge it, does anyone else have this problem?

http://imgur.com/zSg4a4P

Edit: still loving up img tags every time i give up

I think it's a cityscape. I like it--there's a lot to look at. Although I think the staircase structure really dominates it. The only thing I could suggest is maybe putting some red lights in among the city lights to get the eye to move away from the structure some. The couple chem trails you have moving out help some, but they're too much like the rest of the palette to do the work by themselves. Also the edges have a bit of a seam where the brushstrokes break down. I assume that's where it's been stretched over a frame?

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

Here's the painting I'm currently working on. I haven't decided if I'm going to take it any farther or not.

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

I had someone commission me to paint a past family dog.

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

HungryMedusa posted:

I really, really like this. The only thing that bothers me is how solid that right paw is. It distracts from the face which is amazing.

I would urge you to do a series of animals in that style. I have a feeling they would sell really well (if you're into that sort of thing.) There are a lot of "abstracted pet portraits" out there, but a lot of them don't "get" abstract like this does.

Thanks so much! I agree about the right leg (can't unsee :smith:). Unfortunately I don't want to overwork anything with it now.

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

A mixed-media painting I did last weekend with a model.

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

I've been doing a lot of charcoal drawing lately. I'm slipping more and more into abstraction and gesture. I'm just going with it for now.

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

More of my decent into minimalism.

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

a hole-y ghost posted:

not necessarily a criticism or comment, but why are you using charcoal for these? It's far from an ideal medium for this sort of thing because of its texture and smudginess. Dark marker, ink pen, or paint on bristol board or on gesso paper mounted on panel would get you much cleaner areas and lines. Don't let me stop you if it's intentional, but I think one of those would be much more conducive to this style.

Thanks for the suggestion. I do plan to transition to other mediums as the project evolves. Although I do kind of like the mess and imperfection of it all.

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

Nah, this thread moves kinda slow.

A couple studies in oil using a limited palette.

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

Studies in charcoal and oil with a live model.

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

Drink beer and paint nudes errday.

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

A portrait of my MiL for my wife. I'm not sure if I'm going to call it or do some more work on the veil and background.

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

I decided to use a brush pen yesterday instead of charcoal. Things got weird.

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

A couple paintings I did this morning with the intent of expressing emotion rather than technique.

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

TheNBucket posted:

Do you use oil-paints in your art classes, and how does that work?

When I tried oil at home the smell from the turpentine was awful. I can only assume it'd be a hell to sit in a class with that turpentine stench for 4-5 hours every day.

Most oil painters use odorless turpenoid now.

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

TheNBucket posted:

What about the fumes? I've heard quite a few ~stories~ about people who end up with health issues regarding the brain.

Really? I guess long term exposure might be an issue. I'd be more worried about some of the heavy metals in the pigments and linseed oil.

Gotta suffer for art.

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

A sketch in oil from this morning.

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

TheNBucket posted:

Was that painted from a photo or a live model?

That was from a photo reference. I try to paint from life as much as possible, but it gets expensive.

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

TheNBucket posted:

I'd love to see the photo.

I got it from this book. Art Model Studio, Vol. 4 by Redline Media, LLC
https://itun.es/us/NstnU.l

The model's name is Melissa Troutt.

Vol. 1 is really good too, but I'm unsure who the model is.

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

A couple new sketches in oil.

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

Another in oil.

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

Keep on truckin.

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

A couple more studies in oil.

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

Avasculous posted:

Something I was wondering about- what would you say are the advantages of oils at this point given that Open acrylics can kind of emulate the working time, without all the horrible fumes?

Oils have much more pigment per volume than acrylics. Acrylics change color slightly when they dry, as well as shrink significantly. Oils do not change color or shrink much when dry, so they retain brushstroke and texture much better.

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

I've noticed color shift even with Golden. It's not huge, but it's something to be aware of if you intend to go back and rework a painting after it has dried.

I'm not knocking on acrylics--I use them myself.

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

edit: crap, wrong topic

Here, have some sketches in conte.

smallmouth fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Jun 13, 2015

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

Here's a time-lapse video I made of a couple sketches I did this morning. I was going to do more but I bumped the tripod and ruined the rest of the pictures.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLjatujvncM

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

Here's a gif.

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

a hole-y ghost posted:

Dr. Dragan David Dabić!? I like the drawing but your numerous crimes against humanity are reprehensible, I'm sorry.

You sound like you need some healing, my son. Send three payments of $19.99 to....

smallmouth fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Jul 21, 2015

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

I use lava soap.

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

Study in oil.

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

I did this recently. I'm not very happy with it, but whatever. Every painting is learning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

Haha, nice feeling of acceleration here, Delta Echo.