Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mareep
Dec 26, 2009

So in a fit of sudden inspiration I've started getting back into painting again. I'd like to work in oils but I don't have any studio space to speak of and nowhere safe to leave that sort of a thing, besides having a huge amount of student-quality acrylics laying around that I really ought to use. I also wanted to work on panel, so on a trip to the art supply store I ended up picking up a 6-set of Golden acrylics and some wood panels!

I've been enjoying it so much I'd like to start using higher-quality paints, but I'm about to get crazy into paint mixing and I'd like to learn a little more about that. I've got the basics and have a reasonable grasp on how to successfully mix a color match, but I'm wondering if it's better to try and mix your own colors as best you can or just buy a tube of whatever color you're gunning for. Like, why mix your own teal if you can just buy a giant tube of it? Is there a good reason to lean either way? I'm assuming it's better to start with mixing your own palette, and it seems like you can get a really broad range of color this way. I'd love to hear if anyone has a particular way they like to deal with color mixing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mareep
Dec 26, 2009

Awesome, thanks so much for this info. I'll definitely check out Alla Prima (yikes that book is ridiculously expensive on Amazon!). I am really excited to work on this, it's crazy how much something so simple as just beginning to play around with color mixing can show you how little you really knew about color theory!