Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

QuestWhat
Nov 11, 2012
Hello all and welcome to the traditional art thread. Here you can post any art that you've made with paint, graphite, or other kinds of traditional media that you feel like and give feedback to other goons who post their work as well.

Both works-in-progress and finished pieces are welcome as well as 3D works.

The only real rule for this thread is that the work must be of traditional media; No digital art. If you made it on a computer, tablet, etc. post it in another thread.

Crossposting from the Daily Drawing threads is okay but try to keep it to a minimal if the content is more appropriate for those threads.

Enough rule talk, let's post some art:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuestWhat
Nov 11, 2012
Here's some work that I've recently completed:

Study for a painting that I'm going to be working on.

Picture of my cat who went missing shortly before finishing this.

Final for my abstract painting class.

QuestWhat
Nov 11, 2012
Your work is always great. Which artists are you influenced by?

QuestWhat
Nov 11, 2012

scarycave posted:

My scanner sort of lightened it up a bit and I didn't want to modify it since I'm not sure if its against the rules of this thread or not.

If you are referring to cleaning up the scan/photograph of the art that should be fine. The art just has to made with traditional media. Nothing is more annoying than trying to get your work photographed properly only to have to try again and again because you can't get some annoying glare out or the color becomes desaturated.

QuestWhat
Nov 11, 2012

Just a Fish posted:

I prefer glass and metal, i hope that's ok.

3D/sculpture work is perfectly fine for this thread, as long as it's not digitally made.

QuestWhat
Nov 11, 2012

HungryMedusa posted:

This is my latest - colored pencil and Neocolor II on Stonehenge paper. I am not super happy with the leaves, but this was my first time experimenting with the Neocolors, so I call it a success.

Really reminds of those videos where scientists would submerge rodents into containers full of breathable liquid (forgot what it's called exactly). Really cool.

Anyway, here's are some drawings from a recently completed sketchbook (all were done in graphite, felt markers, and/or India ink):

Model from a figure drawing session.

Character from a comic I drew a few months back.

Cats, because they are cool.

Self-portrait. I think this is the first one I've made of me smiling.

Visiting family for the summer holiday. Quick drawing of my parent's patio table.

Portrait's of my sister and mother.

Little obelisk in a park near where my parents live.

QuestWhat
Nov 11, 2012

Shnooks posted:

Yay, a place where I fit in!

I graduated in 2012 with a BFA in Fibers. The only reason I say this is because I haven't made any artwork since. I'm burnt out or something. It's hard to not have a studio space.

This is from my senior thesis. It's one piece out of 5 and it's pretty small - it fits in the palm of your hand if you crumple it all up.

I originally wanted to do Printmaking and have a background in it, so finally I was able to take lithography and loved it. Too bad I can't do it at home :(

It's definitely not "traditional" in the sense that it's like portraiture or drawings but I'm pretty proud of all of it.

Oh, don't worry if traditional/classical subject matter isn't your thing. The "traditional" aspect of this thread is the media that that we use to make the art posted here (in other words, not digital), which you work qualifies for. I'd definitely like to see the remaining 4 pieces of your thesis project if you have some photos of them. :)

QuestWhat
Nov 11, 2012

Smam posted:

Wow that's awesome! I don't know if it's ok to post about sales in these threads so if not someone let me know and I will edit. Don't want to break any rules or anything. But I'd happily let the painting go for $175-ish framed and I can definitely do prints. If anyone is interested you can let me know at bobbymilk4@gmail.com
I also do commissions of just about anything or would love to trade, other artists in this forum are brilliant!

If you're looking for work/freelance stuff (at least from people on this forum) you should probably post something on the work for hire thread.
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3527487

QuestWhat
Nov 11, 2012
Series of small plein-air landscape paintings that I made between September 2012 and February 2013. I took a landscape painting class during my Junior year as a way to get accustomed to oil paints and working within a time-limit. All pieces are 5”x 7” and made with Oil on muslin boards.

I should revisit/continue this project. Had fun with it the first time.

QuestWhat
Nov 11, 2012

redcheval posted:

Paint mixing.

Depends on the situation. I generally mix my colors but sometimes for the sake of connivence I just purchase a tube of the color I'm looking for (usually when the same color I mixed didn't come out right/looked dull).

As for me, I've recently have gotten back into linocut printing and decided to make some stickers out of them as an experiment:

(print run of 53)
(print run of 30)

It was fun. I think I'll make some more...

QuestWhat
Nov 11, 2012
/\/\/\ That's pretty dope! How long did it take to make?

Here's something I've finished recently:

Mark
15” x 20”
Watercolors and Pen Ink on Paper
September 10, 2013

This was an assignment for my Watercolors class. We had to pick a cliched subject matter in watercolor painting (lighthouses, closeups of eyes, fairies, etc.) and give it a twist. I got wolves and it occurred to me that I’ve never seen a painting of a wolf pissing on something to mark it’s territory (although I have seen photographs of them doing it in the National Geographic and such) so I thought; “Sure, why not.” I haven’t used watercolors in a couple years (granted, I’ve have done plenty of ink washes though) so I’m surprised that this came out much better than I had expected.

QuestWhat
Nov 11, 2012
I had some time this weekend to make some more linocut stickers (apologies for blurriness):

Credit for reference image of the cat goes to fellow goon AzureSkys.

QuestWhat
Nov 11, 2012

Dreadwroth posted:

Wow this thread is moving really slow, I hope I didn't kill it!

It ain't your fault. Sometimes we just forget certain threads exist.

For content, here's a series of splatter paintings that I made for an abstract painting class last winter. The assignment was to make one painting with an improvised composition within three weeks, but every time I brought one over to my professor for a WIP critique, he would say that the painting was finished and that I should make a new one. In the end, I made three paintings instead of one.

Improvised Blue I, II, & III
48” x 40”/48” x 39”/ 48” x 20” respectively
Acrylic on Canvas
February 2013

QuestWhat
Nov 11, 2012

Dreadwroth posted:

Those are really good, you planning on trying to sell them?

Thanks.
To answer your question: No, but maybe I should.

To be honest I don't know how to sell my art.

VVVV Thanks.

QuestWhat fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Oct 25, 2013

QuestWhat
Nov 11, 2012
Some more watercolors:

12" x 10"

15" x 20"

Sketchbook (crossposted from the October DD thread)

QuestWhat
Nov 11, 2012
Made another splatter painting:

Improvised Orange/Violet
48” x 40”
Acrylic on Canvas
October 28, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuestWhat
Nov 11, 2012

Space.Plant posted:

Since there's no watercolor megathread, I hope this is the closest one for this.

I want to get some supplementary colors to expand my watercolor color palette. I do have the warm and cool primaries, plus burnt sienna.
The colors I have (all are Winsor&Newton artists' watercolors):
  • permanent rose (PV 19)
  • cadmium red (PR 108)
  • aureolin (PY 40)
  • lemon yellow (PY 53)
  • cobalt blue
  • french ultramarine (PB 29)
  • burnt sienna (PR 101)

A friend also suggested Payne's gray or indigo for a "black". Help please. :(

Advice for for supplies and techniques of traditional media are welcome here :).

I'm not the most experienced with watercolors but I think you should add some secondary colors to your palette (preferably 2 greens, oranges, and violets). Payne's grey isn't bad but I think it looks a little dull (I generally use dark blues or browns for "blacks" depending on whether the object painted is supposed to be warm or cool). I'd also recommend that you get some raw sienna and burnt umber for earth tones if you can.