Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

the mirror would do well to reflect further

Kanine posted:

a lot of my professors during my freshman year seemed either neutral or negative about watercolor painting for some reason

My very old painter friend who paints every drat day only paints in oils and watercolors. He maintains that getting better at watercolors means he gets better at oils because watercolors are so much less forgiving than oils. I tend to agree.

Here is his website.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

Finally finished the other hand which was blocked by the bottles on the bar. Now to laquer and move on to the next mural.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

silicone thrills posted:

Went to Daniel Smith and got some new watercolors. More greens! Green gold is officially my new favorite color, seriously.

Couldn't sleep the other night and did this one. It's just relaxing to paint forests.

Loving these watercolors.

Excuse the blurry pics in this timelapse but here is the process of that mural.

Timelapse of that mural

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

Made a timelapse for the Amber Ox mural too.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

Cleaned up version of that monk.

Another quick portrait.

sigma 6 fucked around with this message at 09:07 on Aug 3, 2018

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

"In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king."

sigma 6 fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Aug 15, 2018

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

Crossposted from daily drawing.

Here is another sketch for a new mural I am working on.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

Inktober 2018

Sylvia Ji homage.

PITT warm gray brush pens with white jellroll ink on top.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

Huge fan of your style. Very graphic design / tattoo design - ish.

Some Krampus doodles.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

lofi posted:

Still working on this. I've had a weird thing where one of my greys is WAY more matte than my others. I think it's where I've used white in the mix vs. just colours. I'm hoping a glaze layer and varnish will even it out a bit. I have so had enough of this fucken picture.

Looks great IMO but I would even out the background a bit. Big strokes seem like they could be blended back more.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

Zoben posted:

Here's a tinted gesso painting I did of my cat Bubby about 20 years ago

Gorgeous. I had to look really closely to see that it was actually a painting. Amazing work. A lot of people find this kind of realism boring. I think they are wrong. Most people who find realism boring either lack the skill or resent the skill it takes to make something so accurate with a paintbrush.

dupersaurus posted:

Yeah, as much as we love Bob, what you see is decades of experience and training, and him using as a template a painting he had made before taping that was sitting just off-camera. A lot of planning and experience go into making those happy accidents.

Don't tell me my child hood hero and patron saint of oil painting was just another example of media manipulation!

sigma 6 fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Jan 23, 2019

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

Virtual Russian posted:

I really have a soft spot for realism, but I'd dial this a little back if I were you. You're kinda coming off as someone that's projecting some insecurity. Realism is valid and cool. Non-realist works are also valid and cool. When realist works are bad they are boring due to lack of creativity/intriguing content. When stylized/abstracted works are bad they seem uninspired because they lack skill or creativity. A lot of the best and most notable abstract painters/sculptors began their training as realists, skill is absolutely a solid foundation on which to build. I would agree that there are people out there that lack skill and are trying to cover it up.

I hope this doesn't offend, I'm not saying this is you, just how its coming off to me. I run into the skill oriented realism vs abstraction dichotomy a lot, and can't help but say something.

This is a discussion which is academic but still interesting. Style over substance. Or rather... concept over execution or... maybe just the idea that style will eventually develop given enough practice? Or maybe just the idea that concept should trump "realism"? I don't think that people would accuse Banksy of being too realistic vs too stylistic. Although maybe just passe. Ideas trump style and style trumps realism? I feel like this poo poo is all relative. It is about what resonates with the audience.

Anyway here is a drawing. Cuz content.

(from ref)

With highlights.

sigma 6 fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Mar 31, 2019

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

Using 3d to make imagery to laser engrave onto coasters. Sure. Why not?

Note: Only one of these is made from a zbrush model. The rest are 2d but my plan is to make more 3d / toon shaded renders into coasters.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

More laser engraving.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

Zoben posted:

More ink madness, commission for a band

Based on sacred geometry, Metatron's Cube to be exact

Colors to come next but I don't post them in this thread because I do digital coloring.

Woooooooowwwww..... nice work!

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

Y Signal posted:

Mixed media portrait of Nicolas Cage I did as an assignment for a class I was in this past quarter. Watercolor, airbrush, gouache, fluid acrylics and colored pencil over graphite.

This speaks to me in the way that the obama hope poster did.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

How can I buy this one?

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

Zoben posted:

Very nice! Really dig the composition, great subject matter + colors for a tot's room :)

New sketchbook drawing, I actually got to the bottom and was like "gently caress!" because I wanted to continue the composition so I taped another piece of paper to it, hence the vertical composition

I really love this. Except there is no shadow falling onto the hair. No shading to really make the profile of the face pop. I stared at it for 3 seconds before I reealized there was a figure and face. Your work is fantastic.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

Atomic Leviathan Prototype

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

Dickbat at Rest

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

Zoben posted:

Super cool! I'm assuming toned paper, what'd you use for highlights?

I started with graphite. Mechanical pencil. Then I used a white gellyroll ink pen for the highlights. Then finished with sakura micros / brush pens for the blacks. It was a prototype for an artdome piece. Here is the artdome piece it turned into.

Looking back I should have tinted it blueish and not orange. Hm.

EDIT:

Had to do it now that I actually said why the orange version annoyed me.

sigma 6 fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Sep 8, 2019

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

silicone thrills posted:

Teeny tiny oil painting of a teeny tiny birb. Painting is smaller than my hand.

Also here's a little process gif because phones apparently can easily do this built in these days.

That's fantastic. I didn't know phones could make GIFs easily these days.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

Sketch of an artdome piece I am working on.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

silicone thrills posted:

I've been trying to get emotion across in my drawings for years and I always feel like everything falls flat and im in a hella lovely mood doing my daily sketch and I think I finally got it.

Behold feeling frustrated and down (layoffs at work have me feeling very doomer)

That's not bad at all. Concentrate on shading. I use black and white charcoal on toned paper to push forms. Remember shadow defines form.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

lofi posted:

Copics are great, but remember to put something under your drawing surface, they love to bleed through stuff.

Alcohol based markers will bleed most. So there is that.

On the topic of painting. My best advice is a cheap medium. Floetrol is a latex medium but works just fine with acrylic. Costs MUCH less and works very very well. 16 bucks for a gallon vs. 20+ for less than half that amount at an art store.

EDIT:

Crosspost from daily drawing thread.

Another sketch of a Jordu Schell sculpt.

sigma 6 fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Jan 10, 2020

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

Zoben posted:

Doin some lines up in heah

Gonna be honest here. I really want to laser burn your stuff. Very high contrast / lack of shading is perfect to burn.

Here is another sketch of a Jordu Schell sculpt.

EDIT:
Some old GIFs I made of my friend's painting progress. Thought these might help anyone who is struggling with acrylic painting. He never mixes paint on the palette, only the canvas. Uses Floetrol as a paint medium to make the paint go farther. Never water, despite acrylic being water based. Never spends very long on the underlying pencil drawing and works with a fairly limited color palette when making glazes / layers.

Made this painting using a very similar technique a while back.

sigma 6 fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Jan 21, 2020

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

Continuing to struggle with the laser burner. Getting some better results but midtones are a bitch.
So frustrated with raster based images I am about to split out the tones into separate images like one would for screen printing. *ugh*
Had to ink back over this one to make it work a little better.

Claeaus posted:

Very cool!

What would be the major benefits of only mixing on the canvas?

Since his method is really about adding layers of glaze (acrylic + floetrol) it is less about mixing and more about layering translucent colors to make blending of hue work.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

HungryMedusa posted:

I promise to pay with a drawing with those alcohol markers - I have the perfect idea for them.

I had an idea this Thursday of a Valentines drawing idea, so now it is crunch time. It usually takes me a month or more for a colored pencil piece, and I need to finish this latest in 2 weeks.

The gifs above are sweet. Here is the last one I made

Sooooo cool. Nice work!!

Here is another Jordu Schell inspired sketch.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

xposted from the artdome thread.

From The Lighthouse

Not sure if I am going to laser burn these.

Zoben: Your work (very very immaculate linework) lends itself better to laserburning TBH.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

Those are great. There should be a SA sticker swap.

sigma 6 fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Feb 17, 2020

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

Dooope. Yeah. Down for a sticker swap. Definitely.

Current stuff

sigma 6 fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Mar 3, 2020

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

Zoben posted:

That's awesome! I love faceting forms into planes, and iridescence is one of my favorite surface qualities. Is that glass or plastic or....broken CDS?

Cut CDs but yeah - creating CD shards is surprisingly difficult.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

Flavius Aetass posted:

if you just fold a cd with your hand it will explode like a frag grenade

I may need to try this to get a wider variety of fragments.

Crossposted from the Draw Every Day thread:

Not really a daily drawing as more practice with the laser burner.
Design by Eli Quinn

One more by Mr. Quinn. This one was a bitch because the settings for cardboard as so much more sensitive than wood. 1 % can make the difference between engraving vs. cutting. Must have made at least 8 trying to get settings right.

sigma 6 fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Mar 19, 2020

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

lofi posted:

put the CD in a bag, and then snap it? that should stop it going everywhere.

Good idea!

One last burn of Zoben / Eli Quinn's work.

This one took 4 passes but it turned out much better than the last one. Like I said - wood is more forgiving than cardboard.

With wood it is a question of getting the contrast you want. With cardboard it is the same but even a tiny fraction too much will burn holes through.

I really like this!

sigma 6 fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Mar 22, 2020

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

Handen posted:

Self-isolation/layoff means time to paint.

This looks so good / consistent, I thought it was a filter at first.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

heavy liquid posted:

Really enjoying using just pencils and paper lately.

Some sketchbook portraits

These are amazing!

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

Crossposted from the daily drawing thread but maybe a better fit here.

First and second design are mine. The girl(s) are a famous surrealist photographer. Beer coasters with polycrylic finish. Sorry for the slight blur.

sigma 6 fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Jun 22, 2020

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

Another sketch of a Jordu Schell sculpt.

sigma 6 fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Jun 24, 2020

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

Zoben posted:

I love the coasters you sent me, man. Photos don't really do them justice as the texture, patina, and finish are amazing.

Glad you liked them. Each one is a little different and lately I can't seem to decide on how glossy I want the finish to be.

Claeaus posted:

Really like this one! It's like it's from some weird fever dream Sam & Max concept art.

Thanks! This is a different run plus a couple others. No polycrylic though.

sigma 6 fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Jul 1, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

Did another burn of Zoben's art today.

So remember the Maya apocalypse "Baktun" back in 2012? Well... I guess it was supposed to be 2020. drat Mayan math. Definitely failed that course in school.

f