Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
It supports ad locking apps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Mister Facetious posted:

Safari on iPad doesn't support adblockers/tampermonkey, right?

It supports ad blockers.

No "monkey" scripting, though.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

Mister Facetious posted:

Safari on iPad doesn't support adblockers/tampermonkey, right?

I mean there are adblockers like 1Blocker or Wipr that can be used across iOS and macOS. There was a new extension framework put in place with iOS 12 and High Sierra that enabled this.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Dick Nipples posted:

I mean there are adblockers like 1Blocker or Wipr that can be used across iOS and macOS. There was a new extension framework put in place with iOS 12 and High Sierra that enabled this.

Ooh, tell me more.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
I'd also be curious to hear what the consensus best ad/tracker-blocker is across iOS and macOS. It seems the most highly rated ones cost money, from a couple bucks for Wipr or BetterBlocker, to a monthly subscription or one time $40 cost (lmao) for 1Blocker X.

On my Mac, I use Firefox with it's built-in blocking as well as the uBlock Origin plugin, and on my iPhone I use Firefox with just it's built-in blockers. But I've been seeing a couple articles about how the latest Safari has the best tracker blocking in the business. So I'm kind of interested in switching back to Safari, but only if the Ad Blocking is as good as I've been getting with Firefox/uBlock.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
I use Wipr, its excellent and doesn't break sites.

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I wish I had something clever to say.
Wipr is good for set it and forget it. 1blocker is good for customization. Is it really $40? Wow. I paid when it first came out a couple of bucks and then when they made a new app I paid like $12 but it was universal across iOS, macOS.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well
I recently got a Logitech Combo Touch and challenged myself to only use my iPad this past week for personal stuff, and I was surprised how much I could do. Honestly the biggest stumbling block was Safari IMMEDIATELY reloading tabs if I switched focus to another program. So frustrating, especially if you’re trying to login to something using 2FA.

I’m on the base 10.2” 7th gen, is the iPad Pro better about that, or is it just an iOS thing?

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.

frogbs posted:

I recently got a Logitech Combo Touch and challenged myself to only use my iPad this past week for personal stuff, and I was surprised how much I could do. Honestly the biggest stumbling block was Safari IMMEDIATELY reloading tabs if I switched focus to another program. So frustrating, especially if you’re trying to login to something using 2FA.

I’m on the base 10.2” 7th gen, is the iPad Pro better about that, or is it just an iOS thing?

More RAM will help, but even the newest iPad Pro is massively bottlenecked when it comes to intense multi-tasking with only 6GB of memory.

john500y2k
Jan 29, 2009
Might be worth checking out Lockdown for ad-blocking and privacy. It works system wide on iOS not just for safari and runs locally.

https://lockdownhq.com/

Have been using it now for several months on my iPhone and really happy with it so far.

Should also mention it is free and open source.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

frogbs posted:

As mentioned but there's limits. It'll just depend on the sites and apps and whatever whims of iOS. It's been generally fine for me but there was an update that jacked it up pretty bad. They improved it since then but still there's times where it's confusing.

For 2FA, if you can put it in slideover that can be a workaround for it, and might be more convenient anyway. Otherwise are you using an ad blocker? Depending on the sites you're visiting they can potentially help save a chunk of memory usage.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

john500y2k posted:

Might be worth checking out Lockdown for ad-blocking and privacy. It works system wide on iOS not just for safari and runs locally.

https://lockdownhq.com/

Have been using it now for several months on my iPhone and really happy with it so far.

Should also mention it is free and open source.

Be aware that it is a VPN. The filtering happens across the VPN gateway. This is not a bad thing, per se, just be aware that all your traffic crosses their infrastructure if that matters to you.

That being said, they do have a audit reports available on their site for their app and infrastructure privacy controls.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Proteus Jones posted:

Be aware that it is a VPN. The filtering happens across the VPN gateway. This is not a bad thing, per se, just be aware that all your traffic crosses their infrastructure if that matters to you.

That being said, they do have a audit reports available on their site for their app and infrastructure privacy controls.

Last I checked Netflix does not play nice with VPNs so that’s an issue to be aware of as well. (This was when I was traveling in December and tried to watch some stuff).

canyonero
Aug 3, 2006
Different solution but 1Password can generate 2FA codes too and automatically copies the code to your clipboard.

TVGM
Mar 17, 2005

"It is not moral, it is not acceptable, and it is not sustainable that the top one-tenth of 1 percent now owns almost as much wealth as the bottom 90 percent"

Yam Slacker

Proteus Jones posted:

The "Firewall" part of the app seems to only route traffic though an on-device VPN. I've seen Android blockers do the same thing.

Of course you can subscribe to their VPN service for ~ultra-protection~

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

WWDC preview / last minute tweet leak

https://twitter.com/L0vetodream/status/1274930688756609024

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

TVGM posted:

The "Firewall" part of the app seems to only route traffic though an on-device VPN. I've seen Android blockers do the same thing.

Of course you can subscribe to their VPN service for ~ultra-protection~

Ah, OK. I didn't do a super deep dive on their site. Thanks.

TVGM
Mar 17, 2005

"It is not moral, it is not acceptable, and it is not sustainable that the top one-tenth of 1 percent now owns almost as much wealth as the bottom 90 percent"

Yam Slacker
Looks like hand-writing is in. Also :siren: set default browser and mail :siren:

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
No setting default note taking app?

Also, I guess that year of free TV+ with my iPad will find an use, with what that Foundation series on it.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Combat Pretzel posted:

Also, I guess that year of free TV+ with my iPad will find an use, with what that Foundation series on it.
There's a couple good things. "For All Mankind" is good. "Fraggle Rock" is cute. "Mythic Quest" is okay. Not enough to spend money on, but worth the cost of free.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

Endless Mike posted:

There's a couple good things. "For All Mankind" is good. "Fraggle Rock" is cute. "Mythic Quest" is okay. Not enough to spend money on, but worth the cost of free.

I liked Mythic Quest.

Wife and I have been enjoying Central Park as well.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well
Man, I was really hoping for Xcode on iPad today. Wouldn't that be have been a great way to let people start developing for the Mac transition? I guess maybe they're thermally limited enough that running ARM OSX and desktop apps could have been painful?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

frogbs posted:

Man, I was really hoping for Xcode on iPad today. Wouldn't that be have been a great way to let people start developing for the Mac transition? I guess maybe they're thermally limited enough that running ARM OSX and desktop apps could have been painful?

I wonder how different the new devkit is from the iPad Pro, aside from the RAM/storage that’s been mentioned.

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Not as taciturn, but still terribly powerful...

Is there such thing as an iPad keyboard with a NumPad/8 directional arrow keys?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Pakistani Brad Pitt posted:

Yes, but it isn’t built into a folio case (it’s any Bluetooth or USB keyboard with numpad)

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Pakistani Brad Pitt posted:

https://www.apple.com/ca/shop/product/MQ052LL/A/magic-keyboard-with-numeric-keypad-us-english-silver

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Combat Pretzel posted:

I read that in high school and have zero memories of it except for space aristocrats sniffing tobacco out of little tins and people blowing stuff up with atomics, but I do remember thinking this is going to be impossible to film. I don't care if it's bad, I just hope its not boring.

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

Krispy Wafer posted:

I don't care if it's bad, I just hope its not boring.

I don't expect Apple to ever make interesting TV, partly because it's an afterthought to them and afterthoughts rarely amount to much, and partly because compelling content often means controversial content, and this Apple executive group is allergic to controversy.

But I really don't expect this particular show to be good, because the central conceit of the Foundation series has aged like milk in the seventy years since the first book was written. A magic algorithm that can predict the course of human history? A technocratic society set up on a bunker-planet where the brightest minds can be safe from the rising tide of barbarism as society falls into chaos? Come on, this sounds like some Silicon Valley tech baron's sick wish-fulfillment fantasy.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Blotto_Otter posted:

I don't expect Apple to ever make interesting TV, partly because it's an afterthought to them and afterthoughts rarely amount to much, and partly because compelling content often means controversial content, and this Apple executive group is allergic to controversy.

But I really don't expect this particular show to be good, because the central conceit of the Foundation series has aged like milk in the seventy years since the first book was written. A magic algorithm that can predict the course of human history? A technocratic society set up on a bunker-planet where the brightest minds can be safe from the rising tide of barbarism as society falls into chaos? Come on, this sounds like some Silicon Valley tech baron's sick wish-fulfillment fantasy.

I’ll still watch it. I’m sure your superior intellect will be happy to say why it’s poo poo too but I’ve been enjoying their space show.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Combat Pretzel posted:

Really ghetto workaround might be using a shortcut to launch whatever app when Notes is launched, like this:

https://www.cultofmac.com/634640/ios-13-shortcuts-replace-stock-apple-apps/

But from the lock screen, going from the default app to the other app requires an unlock. Fine on Face ID devices probably, but can feel clunky on Touch ID.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Blotto_Otter posted:

Lee pace is in it. I'm in.

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

Matt Zerella posted:

Lee pace is in it. I'm in.

I'm a sucker for nearly anything with Jared Harris, so I'd love to be wrong about it.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
Apple is run by a bunch of Coldplay dads who are even more out of touch than normal Coldplay dads because they’re all ludicrously wealthy and a bunch of them actually know Coldplay IRL

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I thought everyone at Apple was friends with Bono.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Krispy Wafer posted:

I thought everyone at Apple was friends with Bono.
Have you seen their prices? Apple would never do anything pro bono :rimshot:

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Question Mark Mound posted:

Have you seen their prices? Apple would never do anything pro bono :rimshot:

I know there are a lot of Apple haters here, but I didn't know it was U2.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
I’ve been using the new magic keyboard now for 2 months and I just wanna say it’s real good.

TVGM
Mar 17, 2005

Yam Slacker

e.pilot posted:

I’ve been using the new magic keyboard now for 2 months and I just wanna say it’s real good.

Agree. Though my big complaint (besides the price) is that I don't get the design decision for the molded sharp edges.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Man that reminds me I really should buy a keyboard for my 2020 Pro. I’ve just been using the one from my work 2018. It doesn’t sit flush on the back because of the camera cutout difference but otherwise works just fine enough for me to forget it’s not “mine” :haw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
I just got an iPad 7th gen and before I update the OS from the factory 13.4.1 to 13.5 or whatever the latest is I want to know: 1) is there any reason to jailbreak modern iOS/iPadOS? And 2) if there are reasons, can this version be jailbroken? This is my first Apple device in 15 years so I'm a bit out of the loop on jailbreaking.