Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Both my iPad and AppleTV are still processing, though I'm not too surprised about the iPad, since it said I wouldn't get it until June.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Interesting.

I did order an iPad with cellular which is probably one of the least common configurations.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this
I ordered the 12.9” 256GB wifi space gray about 7 minutes after it went up for pre-order. I assume it’s one of the most popular skews but I guess I got it in time! I was kinda worried, with supply issues.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

MarcusSA posted:

Interesting.

I did order an iPad with cellular which is probably one of the least common configurations.

So did I! My order email says 8:29 AM so maybe I was just a bit too late to get the very first wave. Also I went with 256 GB which might just be uncommon enough. Who knows. NBD really, as long as it's here by August, I'll be fine.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

It will no question before then. You’ll probably get it first week of June tbh.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I should hope so! It says by June 9th. August is when I have a short vacation, so I'd like it by then is all! :)

SuperTeeJay
Jun 14, 2015

Do Apple Stores typically have their own stock on launch day? I'm sure someone will beat me to it but I might book an appointment for early on the 21st if there's any point in going.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

SuperTeeJay posted:

Do Apple Stores typically have their own stock on launch day? I'm sure someone will beat me to it but I might book an appointment for early on the 21st if there's any point in going.

It depends on availability. I will say either way Apple stores will get inventory before other sellers (for the most part).

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

If you bring up the Apple store app around their daily inventory refresh you can semi-quickly get what you want. Might take a week of trying to pull it off, depending on demand.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

SuperTeeJay posted:

They always have at least some launch-day inventory.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Don't sleep on Best Buy, they usually have inventory on launch day as well but no one is obsessively refreshing their website to get one.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://www.amazon.com/amFilm-Protector-Tempered-Sensitive-Compatible/dp/B07JQ3YZT7/

Is this going to fit my new IPad Pro 11 or have they changed up the sizing this gen? Is there a better option? I’d rather not pay Zagg prices.

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol

Cartoon Man posted:

https://www.amazon.com/amFilm-Protector-Tempered-Sensitive-Compatible/dp/B07JQ3YZT7/

Is this going to fit my new IPad Pro 11 or have they changed up the sizing this gen? Is there a better option? I’d rather not pay Zagg prices.

The screen size & notch of the new 11" is identical.

Regarding brands - honestly, I've tried dozens of different brands over the years and haven't noticed any being superior over another. I always end up taking the drat things off because it drives me nuts how much more reflective they make the ipad screen.

The Anti-reflectivity coating they put on the ipad pro is so good and the screen protector completely prevents it from doing its job.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Brain Issues posted:

The screen size & notch of the new 11" is identical.

Regarding brands - honestly, I've tried dozens of different brands over the years and haven't noticed any being superior over another. I always end up taking the drat things off because it drives me nuts how much more reflective they make the ipad screen.

The Anti-reflectivity coating they put on the ipad pro is so good and the screen protector completely prevents it from doing its job.

I like screen protectors on my phone (because it goes in my pocket, etc), but I get always have a folio case for my iPad and never felt I needed a screen protector. Maybe if I used it outside for work or traveled a lot, but yeah, not as big a need on an iPad.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

My kids will use and abuse it and the screen protector definitely helps. Amfilm is good quality at a cheap price and you get two as a bonus.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
iPad review finally out.

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2021/05/2021-ipad-pro-review-more-of-the-same-but-way-way-faster-thanks-to-m1/

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

tl;dr: it's fast

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.
Consensus seems to be its so fast the software is legitimately hampering it at this point. Almost seems to be to the point of why does the iPad have this much power if Apple isn’t going to open it up more or take advantage of it.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Disappointing Pie posted:

Consensus seems to be its so fast the software is legitimately hampering it at this point. Almost seems to be to the point of why does the iPad have this much power if Apple isn’t going to open it up more or take advantage of it.

All we have now is wild hope and dreams they address this in WWDC

(lol they wont)

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

(lol they wont)

This year’s model they give you the speed, next year’s model they actually let you use it.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.

Disappointing Pie posted:

It would cannibalize the poo poo out of their laptop market but man, a dual-boot MacOS/iPad OS iPad Pro would be such a dream

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I feel like the hardware has been too fast for the software for four years now

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Endless Mike posted:

This might happen, but it doesn't launch for another couple weeks!

Spoilers: they will all say it's very fast, the screen looks great, and the slight increase in thickness isn't noticeable.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

hatty posted:

Yeah. The showed slight awareness to this by actually doing iPadOS but then proceeded to do nothing with it for 3 years.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

I really hope that 1gb models show up in stores sooner rather than later- I have a feeling that they might be a bit more available as most people will most likely get lower end models. The thought of an M1, 16gb of RAM and 1tb of space for what essentially is a Clip Studio Paint machine for me is sending me. My 2019 model has been struggling with pieces with lots of layers and I'm a bit tired of that.

edit: I just wish they went for colors like the new iMacs with these. :(

GATOS Y VATOS fucked around with this message at 16:31 on May 19, 2021

coke
Jul 12, 2009

hatty posted:

please stop saying or spreading things like this

even the all powerful top end 8 core intel mbp 16" with 64gb of ram still loads the forum with a bunch of twitter embeds slowly with blank/gaps on the page from time to time and takes a while for the full contents to 'pop in', this is with safari that's supposed to be very optimized as well

the pop-in effect is also definitely noticeable on the older ipad pros with content heavy pages or different websites, and will most likely get worse as web pages get more and more complicated

so yeah it's always nice to have something faster

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

edit: I just wish they went for colors like the new iMacs with these. :(
Tell me about it!

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this

coke posted:

please stop saying or spreading things like this

this is a very weird, abrasive response to that post! It's not like apple is reading our posts and they're gonna stop making the fastest mobile chips on the market because of it. calm down!

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
iPad thread: please stop spreading like this

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

I need the Ars stamp of approval on products I am considering (and I knew you were right).

Ok Comboomer posted:

iPad thread: please stop spreading like this

Please please please.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

The Verge gave it an 8/10. I'm cancelling my preorder on this horrible disaster piece of poo poo.

coke
Jul 12, 2009

George Kansas posted:

this is a very weird, abrasive response to that post! It's not like apple is reading our posts and they're gonna stop making the fastest mobile chips on the market because of it. calm down!

it's on the similar level of lols as the idiots spreading stuff like "wow the m1 macbook air is so fast it need less ram for reasons"

if anything the modern computer or mobile devices are still too slow while the progress of improvement have slowed down, they are probably hitting a wall for performance increase after squeezing all the node and architectural improvements

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
At the risk of spreading lies, really does seem like software is holding it back (not necessarily iOS, just generally). I went from a base 2017 iPad to a 2020 pro in part because I got annoyed with PDFs taking a while to load in acrobat reader...and they still can take a while to pop in on the pro after scrolling a few pages, when my lovely Chromebook doesn't do the same, nevermind a real laptop.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

coke posted:

it's on the similar level of lols as the idiots spreading stuff like "wow the m1 macbook air is so fast it need less ram for reasons"

if anything the modern computer or mobile devices are still too slow while the progress of improvement have slowed down, they are probably hitting a wall for performance increase after squeezing all the node and architectural improvements

Please stop snorting your username before posting.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

very weird posting about the not at all controversial idea that ipados is not helping the very good iPad hardware.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

coke posted:

even the all powerful top end 8 core intel mbp 16" with 64gb of ram still loads the forum with a bunch of twitter embeds slowly with blank/gaps on the page from time to time and takes a while for the full contents to 'pop in', this is with safari that's supposed to be very optimized as well

I probably agree with you, but this has to be the worst loving example in particular.

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

I would absolutely love to see what kind of IDE you could gin up that would be 100% Apple Pencil focused. Say, a zoomable infinite canvas for coding could be absolutely gamechanging I reckon.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

literally nobody was arguing that they shouldn’t be faster or that Apple should purposefully kneecap anything

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
iPads should be slower and apple should purposely kneecap them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

(lol they wont)
You'll get freely movable widgets on the home screen and like it :colbert: