Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
The new air doesn't have a 120hz screen. That's a major dealbreaker. I will continue using my 2017 iPad pro 10.5 :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

BGrifter posted:

Feels weird that a year later the new iPad is a Pro with a worse display for the same price unless you can live with 64gb of storage. Anyone who bought a launch M1 Pro 350+ days ago wins the value wars.

It’s been interesting watching you go through the exact same process I did Grumbles.

Yeah I just feel like their whole fucky pricing ladder has caused this huge choice paralysis in me, as opposed to just pushing me up the tree or whatever the psychology is.

The 128 pro is actually 20 quid cheaper than the 256 iPad air on Amazon right now, so I'm tempted to just go for that, and get the nice screen and speakers (I like the idea of using it as an internet radio/portable music player with decent sound). Getting a 144 hz monitor and the effect that had on general browsing/desktop stuff was one of those tectonic, no-going-back upgrades for my PC on par with getting my first SSD, which is why I think it'll make a big difference on the whole feel of the iPad.

But thanks everyone for your input, its appreciated.

anothergod
Apr 11, 2016

Why is it called an iPad Air? It's not really lighter in weight or performance or price....?

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

The Grumbles posted:

Yeah I just feel like their whole fucky pricing ladder has caused this huge choice paralysis in me, as opposed to just pushing me up the tree or whatever the psychology is.

It price laddered me right out of a purchase. I decided to wait for the fall and see what the M2 Pros look like rather than drop over a grand on a 350+ day old Apple device.

I doubt the upgrade will turn out to be worth the wait, but buying Apple products at launch to get maximum life out of them has served me well. I can live with my 2017 iPad for a few more months.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

anothergod posted:

Why is it called an iPad Air? It's not really lighter in weight or performance or price....?

Good question! You see,

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

anothergod posted:

Legacy naming

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Arivia posted:

The 1:1 display for letter paper and extra brightness were the whole reason I bought the 12.9” Pro myself. Makes it an excellent lightbox for tracing and other art. Otherwise I keep it below half brightness.

i wasn't kidding, i THINK i could do this on like a wacom drawing tablet but it's a great capability to go with the other stuff i do on my ipad

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

Arivia posted:

i wasn't kidding, i THINK i could do this on like a wacom drawing tablet but it's a great capability to go with the other stuff i do on my ipad

This makes me want an iOS Etrian Odyssey game so bad.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro

Arivia posted:

That's rad

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

BGrifter posted:

Anyone who bought a launch M1 Pro 350+ days ago wins the value wars.

I got my wife's in June for 989 (from 1199 local currency, air5 64GB is 929 here)

:hellyeah:

anothergod
Apr 11, 2016

BGrifter posted:

This makes me want an iOS Etrian Odyssey game so bad.

This is kind of like someone asking for Super Mario 64 and then me linking them a Super Mario Bros 1, but also, like, Wizardry rules and I spent a *long loving time* finding the perfect Wizardry clone on iOS. And this is genuinely perfect.

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/niz/id1546187733

That said, uh, there are no frills here.

*Preedit - there was no in game mapping in Wizardry. I am just a Wizardry nut and Niz is really good Wizardry clone.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

FlapYoJacks posted:

The new air doesn't have a 120hz screen. That's a major dealbreaker. I will continue using my 2017 iPad pro 10.5 :colbert:

Same. Just had its battery replaced, hoping to get another few years out of this one.

candide
Jun 16, 2002

The Tipping Point

shrike82 posted:

it's a compromised keyboard setup and iPadOS limits what you can do with keyboard entry

hey, speaking of

I have the M1 iPad Pro 12.9” 5th gen and Logitech Combo Touch. Key repeat for letters isn’t working for me using the external keyboard.. but only for some apps. Tried searching for this issue and can find some mentions about MacOS but nothing recent.

Is this a known bug? I can hold backspace, space, non alphanumeric e.g. @@@@@@@@@@@@@ and it repeats just fine. I can adjust the rate in Accessibility settings. But I can’t hold down a letter and have it repeat, but only in some apps? It does not work for me in Awful, Slack, or pretty much anywhere in the OS. But it does work in the Blink terminal app.

A few minutes ago I went into Accessibility settings to decrease the delay for Key Repeat so I could delete faster by holding the key down. I’m wondering if that’s what “broke” it cause I feel like it used to work everywhere.. but I'm now second guessing myself. Although I don’t use the iPad that much, I’ve had this thing since release so it’s surprising to me that I’m just now noticing it.

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

Yeah that’s normal behavior for iOS (and macOS?) for first party apps.

For third party apps it’s anyone’s guess since they can get actual keystrokes and decide what to do with them.

candide
Jun 16, 2002

The Tipping Point

Mattavist posted:

Yeah that’s normal behavior for iOS (and macOS?) for first party apps.

For third party apps it’s anyone’s guess since they can get actual keystrokes and decide what to do with them.

Ugghhhhh that's so annoying :gbsmith:

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006
UK goons - the Curry's clearance store page on eBay is currently listing some iPad pros listed as refurbished, but they're actually just new items with damaged boxes, sold at a huge discount. I just pulled the trigger on a 2021 11 inch M1 pro for 600 quid, which is kind of an obscene deal. They have a few items still there - do take a look if you're in the market.

edit: oooh they have magic keyboards too - I've kind of blown my budget (and I have a nice USB c mechanical keyboard I wanna use on the go with it anyway) but same deal - new items with damaged boxes at steep discounts.

The Grumbles fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Apr 26, 2022

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe
Is there any way to disable multi-touch to select text with the stock keyboard on ipadOS? I don't see an obvious setting in the keyboard accessibility preferences. I apparently type in a way that inadvertently triggers select mode and I will frequently accidentally select and delete words or sentences I just typed.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Qwijib0 posted:

Is there any way to disable multi-touch to select text with the stock keyboard on ipadOS? I don't see an obvious setting in the keyboard accessibility preferences. I apparently type in a way that inadvertently triggers select mode and I will frequently accidentally select and delete words or sentences I just typed.

Look at the tap accommodation settings: https://support.apple.com/en-ca/guide/iphone/iph77bcdd132/ios

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
There’s zero system level controller customization, correct? Dead zone adjustment would be helpful.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Which is easier or better for an elderly person learning? Mail app on iPad or Gmail app?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
My mother figured out the Apple mail app on her iPad and she's 69 in July

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Housh posted:

Which is easier or better for an elderly person learning? Mail app on iPad or Gmail app?

Apple mail app is ok but I prefer how the gmail app auto sorts things for me.

The Apple app just throws everything at you.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006
Yeah I mean depends on the person but I feel the Gmail app is better in that it hides all the not quite spam filter worthy promo stuff to it's own tab, thus mitigating any old person mishaps.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

For the folks with high end iPads does is basically become your main computer? How does it behave plugged into monitors?

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
It can only mirror, it’s partly why I can’t replace my MacBook with one.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Kirios posted:

For the folks with high end iPads does is basically become your main computer? How does it behave plugged into monitors?

Time wise it’s become my main device but i still rely on both my PC desktop and MacBook Pro for edge cases.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

hatty posted:

It can only mirror, it’s partly why I can’t replace my MacBook with one.

Bummer I thought they fixed that! Yeah that's a deal breaker for me, drat.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Kirios posted:

Not at all, it's for video watching and reading big docs on the couch

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Even if you can get over the mirroring issue, app support just isn't that great. A lot of cloud/web based have annoying glitches. Some workflows can be done, like photo editing in Lightroom, music production, and certain types of video editing but it's still very much a support device alongside your big desktop.

I think its best professional use case right now is for artists with the pencil.

Flyndre
Sep 6, 2009

Kirios posted:

iPad is for the couch, where I spend most of my time. But any time anything involves a doc or a spreadsheet I use my MBA

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Kirios posted:

Mine can't be my main computer as it only mirrors. I use my desktop PC and iMac for main things and my iPad mini for leisurely stuff. My 12.9 iPad Pro is strictly for drawing via Procreate. The M1 is nice and snappy with the size being the best thing about it for art.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

The iPad not being able to extend it's screen to a second screen instead of mirroring is a Non-Starter for me.

My windows computer has 3 monitors right now, so that's the bare minimum for me for my expectations for a computer replacement. Before you ask, I use all three monitors. I also have 3 monitors at work, too.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

shrike82 posted:

pencil's great, keyboard's so-so

people arguing that the keyboards are good enough that they're willing to use the iPad over a Mac laptop makes me scratch my head

it's a compromised keyboard setup and iPadOS limits what you can do with keyboard entry

I'm returning both of them. The keyboard is really well-designed but there's no way I can type for extended periods on there and the camera position is too weird-looking to use it for Zoom that way. The Apple Pencil is also really slick to use but it's not worth it vs a cheap knockoff, at least for me.

e: M1 iPad Air is terrific though, no complaints

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Kirios posted:

With a mouse and keyboard I do a lot of “real work” on it. It’ll never be my main computer because it won’t do the same stuff a Windows desktop does for me, but if it properly supported external displays, it’d be like 70% of the way there for me.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Kirios posted:

My iPad Pro 12.9" has been a perfect replacement for a laptop for me, but I can't do everything I do on my Windows desktop on it. For portable work (writing, reading and marking up PDFs, some drawing) it's perfect though.

e: without the Pencil and Magic Keyboard it would feel far less powerful, though.

Arivia fucked around with this message at 17:58 on May 1, 2022

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Pretty hot deal

Apple Magic Keyboard for 12.9" iPad Pro (3rd Gen, 4th Gen, & 5th Gen) - Black (Refurbished) $159.99

https://computers.woot.com/offers/a...ta=MXxOfDB8WXww

Only up for 4 more hours as of this post

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
The few times I played with using an external screen, keyboard and mouse on an iPad Pro, I kept running into funny situations where it would appear as portrait mode.
Probably something I'm missing but yeah, it's not just like a laptop that you can close the lid and dock.

Grimmeh
May 9, 2004

...Putting The Fun Back Into The Funeral

MarcusSA posted:

Pretty hot deal

Apple Magic Keyboard for 12.9" iPad Pro (3rd Gen, 4th Gen, & 5th Gen) - Black (Refurbished) $159.99

https://computers.woot.com/offers/a...ta=MXxOfDB8WXww

Only up for 4 more hours as of this post
Thanks!

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

i'm curious what the workflow is for people who use the pros with the magic keyboard and find it usable as a laptop replacement

it's so big and unwieldy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

shrike82 posted:

i'm curious what the workflow is for people who use the pros with the magic keyboard and find it usable as a laptop replacement

it's so big and unwieldy

It’d be nearly no problem for me, writing documentation. RDP for screenshots and poo poo and Word + notes or whatever for writing it up, just swipe between them.