Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
I'd like the Pro to come with less heft.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Rinkles posted:

I'd like the Pro to come with less heft.

Most of that heft is the incredible battery life so I’d rather keep it at its current weight. You can one hand it just fine even!

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

The 12.9 pro is incredibly light for what it is imo

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It's the cases that make the 12.9 a brick. Use it naked and it feels amazing.

Flowing Thot
Apr 1, 2023

:murder:
I'm never giving up my keyboard.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

The Logitech Slim Folio Pro keyboard rules I’m never giving this thing up. I’ll deal with the heft (It’s not that heavy at all).

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Kirios posted:

The Logitech Slim Folio Pro keyboard rules I’m never giving this thing up. I’ll deal with the heft (It’s not that heavy at all).

Magic Keyboard blows it out of the water tho

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Both are massive failures due to no method of securing the pencil.

(I still use the poo poo out of the magic keyboard though)

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo
Unless you ever want to view something in portrait without taking the thing off or having a giant piece of plastic hanging off the side. The versatility of the Logitech meets my needs better but the Magic Keyboard is the way to go if it’s a laptop 95% of the time.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

trilobite terror posted:

Magic Keyboard blows it out of the water tho

Nah I tried it I like the keyboard on this way more. More throw to it, more confidence, faster typing, etc.

No need nor desire for a Pencil.

Flowing Thot
Apr 1, 2023

I lost a pencil because the thing doesn't have a pencil holder and I'm still pissed.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Flowing Thot posted:

I lost a pencil because the thing doesn't have a pencil holder and I'm still pissed.

Just lol if your pen isn’t attached with this

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I'd never get any work done trying to make sure the chain was spiraled in a perfect circle.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I just keep my pencil in my pocket

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

MarcusSA posted:

Just lol if your pen isn’t attached with this

“These people entrust you with their fortune, yet you cannot entrust them with a simple inkwell?”

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQ1pO-tZbYA

I’m sorry, I had to

priznat fucked around with this message at 09:54 on Dec 26, 2023

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

xzzy posted:

I'd never get any work done trying to make sure the chain was spiraled in a perfect circle.

I’ve never felt so seen

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

xzzy posted:

Both are massive failures due to not actually protecting the iPad with a full case.

Spigen Ultra Hybrid Pro + wireless keyboard ftw

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
I just got my first ever iPad so apologies in advance if this question is dumb.

How can I stop Spotify (for example, I'm seeing other apps do it as well) from downloading content to the iPad? It seems to mirror my phone but my phone has way more storage so I don't really need that same content downloaded on the iPad in most cases.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Red_Fred posted:

I just got my first ever iPad so apologies in advance if this question is dumb.

How can I stop Spotify (for example, I'm seeing other apps do it as well) from downloading content to the iPad? It seems to mirror my phone but my phone has way more storage so I don't really need that same content downloaded on the iPad in most cases.

Local storage management is up to the app, spotify has it hidden in settings. You need to wipe the cache every now and then if you hit the limit often.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

SlowBloke posted:

Local storage management is up to the app, spotify has it hidden in settings. You need to wipe the cache every now and then if you hit the limit often.

Like a setting to say don’t download to this device? I’ll have a look, Spotifys settings aren’t that well laid out.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Red_Fred posted:

Like a setting to say don’t download to this device? I’ll have a look, Spotifys settings aren’t that well laid out.

Click on your face/icon on the upper left, then go settings->memory. You cannot set percentages, just flush the app storage.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
My Apple Smart Keyboard Folio is loving up in subtle ways. It acts like when you have the modifiers stuck down in windows and start typing and random things keep launching or happening.

It’s very intermittent and there’s no way to clean the thing. Anything else I should try before going to the fruit stand or buying something else? It’s less than two years old on my iPad Pro.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Cross posting, Idk how Apple okayed it, but fyi ScummVM is available on iOS App Store (free) atm.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

Rinkles posted:

Cross posting, Idk how Apple okayed it, but fyi ScummVM is available on iOS App Store (free) atm.

Hot drat you’re not kidding… thanks for the heads-up! Place your bets how long it’ll be there.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

Doesn't look like the OP is up to date - any advice on a good ipad for the value to use for streaming / general ipad stuff? Not looking for next-gen or crazy performance just good bang for the buck.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Probably just get the 10th gen tbh.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Tom Tucker posted:

Doesn't look like the OP is up to date - any advice on a good ipad for the value to use for streaming / general ipad stuff? Not looking for next-gen or crazy performance just good bang for the buck.

iPad 9th Gen on sale, it's under $250 all the time.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

If you have a Best Buy in your area the 10th generation base iPad is on sale for $350. A lot of people say it's better to get the 9th generation that Apple is still selling but the 10th will probably get an additional year of updates, plus the 10th generation has the updated form factor of the more expensive models.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

TOOT BOOT posted:

If you have a Best Buy in your area the 10th generation base iPad is on sale for $350. A lot of people say it's better to get the 9th generation that Apple is still selling but the 10th will probably get an additional year of updates, plus the 10th generation has the updated form factor of the more expensive models.

For $350 I’d honestly just jump to an Air on sale for like $100 more.

Flowing Thot
Apr 1, 2023

Don’t listen to these guys OP spend 1000 dollars on a 12.9” pro for the better screen.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Better speakers too. I loving love my pro for watching TV.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
iPad 9 if you want a Pencil or you have other Lightning devices.
iPad 10 if you don't have any other Lightning devices, but you don't want a Pencil.
iPad Air if you want a Pencil.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
I'm looking at the iPad comparison page on Apple's site and it seems to imply that the 11" model didn't go past the 4th generation. I thought both sizes got updates right up to the 6th gen?

https://www.apple.com/uk/ipad/compare/

I was thinking about getting a battery replacement for my 1st gen Pro 10.5" (weirdly, the dodgy corner shop replacements here cost more than the £129 for an actual Apple Store one!) but if I can get a second-hand 3rd or 4th gen for not crazy money I might just look into that instead. Is there anything software-wise I'm missing out on by not getting the latest and greatest? It's mostly just used for web browsing but the 120hz screen is a must for games - though it was frustrating on my Pro missing on on stuff like text recognition in photos that my phone can do so an upgrade would be nice for that.

Question Mark Mound fucked around with this message at 11:47 on Jan 4, 2024

Flowing Thot
Apr 1, 2023

Question Mark Mound posted:

I'm looking at the iPad comparison page on Apple's site and it seems to imply that the 11" model didn't go past the 4th generation. I thought both sizes got updates right up to the 6th gen?

https://www.apple.com/uk/ipad/compare/

I was thinking about getting a battery replacement for my 1st gen Pro 10.5" (weirdly, the dodgy corner shop replacements here cost more than the £129 for an actual Apple Store one!) but if I can get a second-hand 3rd or 4th gen for not crazy money I might just look into that instead. Is there anything software-wise I'm missing out on by not getting the latest and greatest? It's mostly just used for web browsing but the 120hz screen is a must for games - though it was frustrating on my Pro missing on on stuff like text recognition in photos that my phone can do so an upgrade would be nice for that.

The 11" model is didn't exist for the first 2 generations so the m2 11" pro is 4th gen and the m2 pro 12.9" is gen 6. Yes it is a very dumb way to name things. They are the same otherwise other than screen.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Flowing Thot posted:

The 11" model is didn't exist for the first 2 generations so the m2 11" pro is 4th gen and the m2 pro 12.9" is gen 6. Yes it is a very dumb way to name things. They are the same otherwise other than screen.
Ahh, thanks for the explainer! Apple really need to drop the "generation" naming. :(

I guess I'll be more than okay with a 3rd gen 11" Pro then if the price is right, I can't imagine the newer one is gonna bring that much of a benefit, even in all the "neural engine" machine learning stuff.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

Ahh, thanks for the explainer! Apple really need to drop the "generation" naming. :(

I guess I'll be more than okay with a 3rd gen 11" Pro then if the price is right, I can't imagine the newer one is gonna bring that much of a benefit, even in all the "neural engine" machine learning stuff.

The M1 11' pro barely touches the edges of the CPU because the OS is so limited. And any resource-heavy app is probably something you're going to want to use full-screen anyway, so multitasking is generally an on-starter. I would edit 2hr+ podcasts on mine with like 4 hours of footage up on screen and it never felt like the tablet was struggling to keep up. I think the M2 is only really good if you have a hyper specific workflow where you know exactly what you'll need it for in advance of buying it. Like if you need for some reason to export video at the absolute fastest benchmark speeds.

I really feel like for their tablet lineup they kind of refined themselves into a weird corpo corner by putting the M1 in the air and pro iPads. Unless they go ahead and put an actual desktop OS on those things (or do something super demanding with AI in the future), those tablets are basically completed.

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo
The pros age very well, even the older ones. I had a 10.5” cellular from 2017 that my kid ended up inheriting last year and up to that point it was still a laptop replacement for me. I wasn’t going anything heavy duty but for a non-artist/video editor it was more than adequate five years later. Unless there’s a massive sea change in computing power need at the laptop level I think the new Pro’s battery will give out long before it’s obsolete.

That said kill the MacBook line and make iPad OS have a docking mode that functions like a desktop OS and my life gets much better. They won’t do it for business reasons but man would it be nice.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I hope my bigPad M2 lasts twenty years!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

AFAIK there’s no difference between the M1 and M2 iPad Pro beyond the chipset. Woot and Amazon fairly regularly have been selling official refurb and new-old-stock M1 models for like ~50% off, which is how I got my NOS M1 iPad in November. It rips.

There’s a big update coming this year supposedly bringing a full physical redesign of the iPad Pro and its peripherals (Magic Keyboard, etc) with an OLED screen and Magsafe being the marquee features, but they’re also expecting a commensurate price bump.