Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

They better find a way to cram a second usb-c port into this alleged redesign.

Get rid of the useless rear camera if space is needed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Old people loving love using iPads as cameras, they’d never remove that

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
The back one is good for scanning documents in a pinch but it shouldn’t be so big

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
lol I used my iPad as a second angle camera the other day while filming some educational materials and it worked really well. I stacked some boxes and put the Magic Keyboard on top of them. Worked like a charm

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

It's cool to set up your iPad in its Magic Keyboard to use as a FaceTime camera for your AppleTV.

AirPlay the sound to your HomePods obvs

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

The Grumbles posted:

The M1 11' pro barely touches the edges of the CPU because the OS is so limited. And any resource-heavy app is probably something you're going to want to use full-screen anyway, so multitasking is generally an on-starter. I would edit 2hr+ podcasts on mine with like 4 hours of footage up on screen and it never felt like the tablet was struggling to keep up. I think the M2 is only really good if you have a hyper specific workflow where you know exactly what you'll need it for in advance of buying it. Like if you need for some reason to export video at the absolute fastest benchmark speeds.

I really feel like for their tablet lineup they kind of refined themselves into a weird corpo corner by putting the M1 in the air and pro iPads. Unless they go ahead and put an actual desktop OS on those things (or do something super demanding with AI in the future), those tablets are basically completed.
Sounds good! My only worry is Apple's tendency to software-lock OS features from old devices that could absolutely keep up with it, but I'll hit that when it happens if I do decide to upgrade.

trilobite terror posted:

AFAIK there’s no difference between the M1 and M2 iPad Pro beyond the chipset. Woot and Amazon fairly regularly have been selling official refurb and new-old-stock M1 models for like ~50% off, which is how I got my NOS M1 iPad in November. It rips.

There’s a big update coming this year supposedly bringing a full physical redesign of the iPad Pro and its peripherals (Magic Keyboard, etc) with an OLED screen and Magsafe being the marquee features, but they’re also expecting a commensurate price bump.
I think those massive sales are US-only. :( I'll keep an eye out though and hope that maybe they announce a big redesign early which should maybe drop the price of the older models.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

~Coxy posted:

iPad 9 if you want a Pencil or you have other Lightning devices.
iPad 10 if you don't have any other Lightning devices, but you don't want a Pencil.
iPad Air if you want a Pencil.

What's the reasoning for this? Just b/c the 10th doesn't support Pencil gen 2?

I just bought my youngest the 9th Gen b/c it was on sale at Target for $250 which is a goddamn steal. Then I was going to get my 9 year old a 10th gen and pencil to get her started on Procreate and Dreams (she's in a huge painting/drawing phase right now).

And then second adjacent question

What's the best cover/case for kids? Stand and screen cover needed. No keyboard necessary. Just need to make sure the stand is sturdy and not the kind that slip down easy.

BonoMan fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Jan 5, 2024

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

BonoMan posted:

What's the reasoning for this? Just b/c the 10th doesn't support Pencil gen 2?

I just bought my youngest the 9th Gen b/c it was on sale at Target for $250 which is a goddamn steal. Then I was going to get my 9 year old a 10th gen and pencil to get her started on Procreate and Dreams (she's in a huge painting/drawing phase right now).

Yes - the gen 1 pencil works fine (great even - it's a fantastic stylus), but there are fundamental problems that get fixed by the gen 2, both related to charging. I guess the Air just has a much nicer screen for drawing as the screen is much closer to the glass?

If you have young kids then they're especially relevant:

The first is that to charge it, you have to use a lightning plug in the top end of the pencil. For 9th gen and earlier, you can plug it in directly to the iPad, which is stupid and awkward but it works and is fast. For the newer base iPad you have to use adapters and things, as it's USBc, which most kids would lose.

The second and more fundamental design flaw - and the one that you probably need to know as the parent of young kids - is that with the Apple Pencil that the battery is so tiny and there's no way to switch it off, but it needs a little bit of charge to be able to communicate with the iPad or wall charger and start charging. This means that if the battery loses all of its charge then the pencil is dead forever, and even if you plug it in it won't be able to wake itself up enough to do the lightning handshake and charge itself up. We bought one from a second hand shop and it was DOA because it had been in the shop window for too long.

It's a known and big issue where people leave their Apple Pencil gen 1s in a drawer for 6 months, only to come back and find it completely dead and buried. You have to be really diligent in making sure you charge it fairly regularly.

To charge on the Air, you just magnetically attach the pencil to the side of the iPad. This means that the pencil is always charged, and that you'll never lose it. This isn't just a convenience thing - it also serves to stop your Apple Pencil dying with no way to revive it, because it will probably never leave your iPad.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

UM *ahem* Apple solved the charging problem with the Gen 10 by introducing the Apple Pencil USB-C which works with any USB-C iPad. Sure, they could have just put the magnet charging in the Gen 10 so you could use a Pencil 2, but instead they made a whole new Pencil that you can plug your same USB-C cable into! We think you're going to love it!

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Endless Mike posted:

UM *ahem* Apple solved the charging problem with the Gen 10 by introducing the Apple Pencil USB-C which works with any USB-C iPad. Sure, they could have just put the magnet charging in the Gen 10 so you could use a Pencil 2, but instead they made a whole new Pencil that you can plug your same USB-C cable into! We think you're going to love it!

Also with less features than apple pencil 1 at an higher price to boot!

The General
Mar 4, 2007

The Grumbles posted:

To charge on the Air, you just magnetically attach the pencil to the side of the iPad. This means that the pencil is always charged, and that you'll never lose it. This isn't just a convenience thing - it also serves to stop your Apple Pencil dying with no way to revive it, because it will probably never leave your iPad.

It is still very easy to lose your Pencil. It took me a few days of learning how to handle my iPad and not have the pencil pop off to the floor. Combine that with a kid and you'll 100% want a case that has a strap or other holder to keep the pencil secure.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Apples refusal to address the pencil security in any way at all is almost as bad as no calculator app.

It's such an obvious oversight but they're all "this is fine"

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

The Grumbles posted:

Yes - the gen 1 pencil works fine (great even - it's a fantastic stylus), but there are fundamental problems that get fixed by the gen 2, both related to charging. I guess the Air just has a much nicer screen for drawing as the screen is much closer to the glass?

If you have young kids then they're especially relevant:

The first is that to charge it, you have to use a lightning plug in the top end of the pencil. For 9th gen and earlier, you can plug it in directly to the iPad, which is stupid and awkward but it works and is fast. For the newer base iPad you have to use adapters and things, as it's USBc, which most kids would lose.

The second and more fundamental design flaw - and the one that you probably need to know as the parent of young kids - is that with the Apple Pencil that the battery is so tiny and there's no way to switch it off, but it needs a little bit of charge to be able to communicate with the iPad or wall charger and start charging. This means that if the battery loses all of its charge then the pencil is dead forever, and even if you plug it in it won't be able to wake itself up enough to do the lightning handshake and charge itself up. We bought one from a second hand shop and it was DOA because it had been in the shop window for too long.

It's a known and big issue where people leave their Apple Pencil gen 1s in a drawer for 6 months, only to come back and find it completely dead and buried. You have to be really diligent in making sure you charge it fairly regularly.

I have a Pencil 1st Gen. Did. Not. Know about the battery thing (mine is in a drawer somewhere)

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
My pencil mk1 has been embedded in my ipad mk9 cover for almost a year, i've plugged it in and it charges without making any fuss.

Flowing Thot
Apr 1, 2023

:murder:
I lost my 1st pencil and wil never find it again thanks to it having no way to actually secure itself to the ipad. The 350 dollar keyboard addon also doesn't include anything to hold it on there.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

SlowBloke posted:

Also with less features than apple pencil 1 at an higher price to boot!

The USB-C Pencil is $20 cheaper than Apple Pencil 1.

Also, if anyone has a dead Apple Pencil in your drawer you can pay Apple $29 for a battery replacement (they give you a new pencil)

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

The Grumbles posted:

I think this is a bit overstated. I bought some iPad Air cases and there was a iPad Pro case in the lot that had a Pencil 1 in its compartment.
Years later I got an iPad Pro 10.5" and the Pencil works to this day.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

FCKGW posted:

The USB-C Pencil is $20 cheaper than Apple Pencil 1.

Also, if anyone has a dead Apple Pencil in your drawer you can pay Apple $29 for a battery replacement (they give you a new pencil)

I've actually never checked the official prices, just went by the big store ones where the pencil 1 is cheaper.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

~Coxy posted:

I think this is a bit overstated. I bought some iPad Air cases and there was a iPad Pro case in the lot that had a Pencil 1 in its compartment.
Years later I got an iPad Pro 10.5" and the Pencil works to this day.

Maybe it’s a luck of the draw type thing. When we were going through the rigmarole with apple apparently the ambient temperature it was stored at might have an effect. Some users also reported waking up their pencils by putting them on top of a radiator for a few mins, although that never worked for us.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
"Fun" fact, you can charge a Pencil 1 in an iPhone, but not in an AirPods case.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

SlowBloke posted:

I've actually never checked the official prices, just went by the big store ones where the pencil 1 is cheaper.

I don't think that's the case anywhere unless you happened on a random sale? The C is $20 cheaper pretty universally

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Apple event on the 12 with speculation on the M3 iPads.

I have an M1 Pro that is still fast AF but if they upgrade the screen I’m gonna be seriously tempted.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

MarcusSA posted:

Apple event on the 12 with speculation on the M3 iPads.

I have an M1 Pro that is still fast AF but if they upgrade the screen I’m gonna be seriously tempted.

Says who? I tried looking for this and all I see a few YouTube videos with no sources but absolutely zero confirmation from any of the big Apple sites.
I think Gurman predicted a spring event sometime in March but that's all he said.

FCKGW fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Mar 2, 2024

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I do a lot of space fart music hobby-ing on my 5th gen pro and I've never maxed out the cpu. I could if I wanted to as a gimmick but with any normal usage managing the audio units becomes cumbersome before the cpu does.

I'll never argue against progress, but the M1 chip is so dang good still.

What they should really upgrade is the ram across the board. I got the 8GB version and I have had a couple sample-heavy plugins get punted by the OS for being too greedy. If I'm running out of ram before the cpu locks up the baseline is too small.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Yeah my M2 iPad Pro is still such a champ. I don’t think I’ve ever even thought about its performance, it still just sails through everything I do.

Flowing Thot
Apr 1, 2023

:murder:
OLED would be a good reason to upgrade.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

FCKGW posted:

Says who? I tried looking for this and all I see a few YouTube videos with no sources but absolutely zero confirmation from any of the big Apple sites.
I think Gurman predicted a spring event sometime in March but that's all he said.

That's kinda what speculation is. Unconfirmed rumours with no real source or citations.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Flowing Thot posted:

OLED would be a good reason to upgrade.

What if it's another $1-200

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Mister Facetious posted:

What if it's another $1-200

It will be even without OLED I bet. $iNfLaTiON

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
I've been tasked with bringing the wife's aging iPad up to speed in preparation of a holiday. Naturally, it's very very full due to photos and messages. What's the best way to free up storage without deleting these things from the greater iCloud ecosystem? Separate iCloud account after a wipe?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

bolind posted:

I've been tasked with bringing the wife's aging iPad up to speed in preparation of a holiday. Naturally, it's very very full due to photos and messages. What's the best way to free up storage without deleting these things from the greater iCloud ecosystem? Separate iCloud account after a wipe?

can you give her more iCloud storage and move the photos and messages there?

Edit: if you want to for-sure keep everything you should be making hard backups somewhere, even if it’s just copying all of the photos/message logs to a folder on a hard drive.

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Mar 3, 2024

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

The General posted:

That's kinda what speculation is. Unconfirmed rumours with no real source or citations.

I’m more wondering about the date, not the iPad. No one has pinned down a date yet besides “March”

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
I finally have an iPad that can do stage manager and maybe I’m missing something but it seems kinda awful? It’s like Split View except you have less space to work with. Maybe it’s better on a bigger iPad or an external screen but on an 11” iPad I just don’t see how useful it is to have more than two, maybe three apps visible and even three is pushing it for usable space.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Question Mark Mound posted:

I finally have an iPad that can do stage manager and maybe I’m missing something but it seems kinda awful? It’s like Split View except you have less space to work with. Maybe it’s better on a bigger iPad or an external screen but on an 11” iPad I just don’t see how useful it is to have more than two, maybe three apps visible and even three is pushing it for usable space.

Yeah, i only use it when i need an external screen. Otherwise I generally only have two apps open at once, not counting YouTube PiP

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

May as well throw it here since my google fu is failing.

I have an iPhone and a 12.9 iPad pro. I run infuse on the iPhone with local media on it. When I'm at the gym I'd like to display the video of that to my iPad for the larger screen, and have airpod audio in sync with the video.

Does anything actually work to do that?

I see the latest iOS let's you have an ipad as an airplay receiver but that looks to be only for vision pro not for iPhones.

I had an app that would do janky network things but the audio was never quite right.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Question Mark Mound posted:

Stage manager last I checked is awful. I have the 12.9, used it for half a day and have had it turned off since then.

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Tigers will do anything for a tuna sandwich.

Yeah I definitely remember being upset my gen4 12.9 was originally softlocked out of stage manager, then when they changed that and I actually tried it I almost instantly turned it back off because it’s awful.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Duckman2008 posted:

Stage manager last I checked is awful. I have the 12.9, used it for half a day and have had it turned off since then.

Did I infect you

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Hughlander posted:

May as well throw it here since my google fu is failing.

I have an iPhone and a 12.9 iPad pro. I run infuse on the iPhone with local media on it. When I'm at the gym I'd like to display the video of that to my iPad for the larger screen, and have airpod audio in sync with the video.

Does anything actually work to do that?

I see the latest iOS let's you have an ipad as an airplay receiver but that looks to be only for vision pro not for iPhones.

I had an app that would do janky network things but the audio was never quite right.

Why don't you install infuse on the iPad and have the videos/audio play off that. Seems way less complicated than what you're asking for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Arivia posted:

Did I infect you

Yes.