Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Stage manager isn't great but it's not bad either. I run a couple apps that need a lot of screen space but do that annoying "double swipe the bottom bar to app switch" feature so changing windows with gestures kind of sucks. With a couple windows open I can just tap on the background one to bring it forward.

The core issue is that tablets aren't great for multitasking, so any windowing solution is going to blow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Jose Oquendo posted:

Why don't you install infuse on the iPad and have the videos/audio play off that. Seems way less complicated than what you're asking for.

Because I sync 2-300 videos at a time, watch them, delete them. syncing to two devices and then having to delete watched videos from both or even just scrolling to the most recently unwatched item is a royal pain in the rear end. If infuse would let you auto sync a playlist like plex, or plex would let you increase playback speed I wouldn't be in the position.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
My kid picked up a used iPad and it's registered to the original owner. I'm an Android person and know nothing about Apple stuff. Is she out of luck?

I see ads out there for various unlocking programs but that seems suspicious to me.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

daslog posted:

My kid picked up a used iPad and it's registered to the original owner. I'm an Android person and know nothing about Apple stuff. Is she out of luck?

I see ads out there for various unlocking programs but that seems suspicious to me.

Yup.

SOL unless you can get the old owner to unlock it.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
Certain really old iPads can be bypassed through exploits, but I doubt an iPad old enough to be exploited is really worth using in anger.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

~Coxy posted:

Certain really old iPads can be bypassed through exploits, but I doubt an iPad old enough to be exploited is really worth using in anger.

Don’t Unlock In Anger.

Maudib Arakkis
Dec 24, 2023

LEST I GET MORE "OWNED" FOR BEING "STUPID" I WILL SAY THIS IS CATEGORICALLY UNTRUE. IT IS OFTEN PART OF DIAGNOSIS AND STAGING BUT IS ALMOST USELESS FOR TREATMENT.
Copped an open box iPad mini for $370. Finding it to be a much better form factor than my iPad Air. Now, I am trading in my iPad Air for new M3 MacBook Air. I mostly use the iPad Air with the Magic Keyboard so this is just a senseible upgrade.

Are they going to be releasing a new mini soon? The only issue is it feels so slightly laggy during scrolling.

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo
This is relevant to my interests, as well. I'm on a downsizing kick and after going from a ~~gamer laptop~~ to a 2-lb thinkpad, I've rediscovered how much I prefer the laptop form factor (and access to a fuller featured OS) to the 11" iPad. I'm thinking about selling it and downsizing to a mini for more PDF reading/web browsing/light email and figuring I'll go to the laptop if I need a portable workstation. Buuuut I'd rather not downgrade to something that last had a refresh in 2021.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

A new mini is probably coming but they don’t refresh them the same as the rest of the lineup. I wouldn’t be surprised if we saw a new one soon though because yeah it’s been a hot minute.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Hopefully it’ll have a modern M series chip instead of phone leftovers

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

I super want a mini. I adore my M2 Pro 12.9, but I more or less use it as a laptop and mobile CAD device. Having a quick note jotting device would be so rad.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

hatty posted:

Hopefully it’ll have a modern M series chip instead of phone leftovers

A new mini with the current gen iPhone chip would be pretty good.

There’s no way they’d put an M in the mini

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

MarcusSA posted:

A new mini with the current gen iPhone chip would be pretty good.

There’s no way they’d put an M in the mini

Well yeah, that’s a capital M.

Now, a lower case m….

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
So my mum was complaining that her ipad is running out of storage, it's a 64 gb air from 2020. Was thinking of buying the newest air with 256gb, but then a base 11 inch pro is only 50 more but with 128gb so I'm thinking is it worth buying the pro just so it might last a bit longer over the air. I can see the air has an M1 and the pro has an M2? Or is Apple going to refresh the iPads with M3 or we so I should just wait.

She has the smart keyboard thing so it has to fit that still, will probably just trade the old one in

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

An M1 is already overpowered for what they let iPad OS do, and she's not going to notice the power increase from an M2. Just get the Air.

I don't know if the keyboard will fit a current one though.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I'm still struggling to come up with a compelling reason to upgrade from my 2020 pre-M Pro tbh. If I do it's only because the hardware is starting to get buggy. FaceID will just stop working randomly until I restart it like five times, it glitches out every now and then. Just small stuff. Overall I think the square-bezel Pros have aged MARVELLOUSLY. Even my 2018 is still rocking -- I only upgraded because work offered to upgrade all my personal gadgets during COVID for some reason.

I've gone through two keybaord folios though. The rubberized coating on each has disintegrated to the point where it looks and feels too gross to continue. I'm resisting the urge to get yet another folio just in case they change the camera bump on the next Pro or something and it won't survive a hardware upgrade.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I went from a first-gen Pro to an M1 Pro and it was noticeably faster and the screen is better (only 60 Hz on the original!). I genuinely don't see myself upgrading from this thing any time soon.

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Tigers will do anything for a tuna sandwich.

some kinda jackal posted:

I'm still struggling to come up with a compelling reason to upgrade from my 2020 pre-M Pro tbh. If I do it's only because the hardware is starting to get buggy. FaceID will just stop working randomly until I restart it like five times, it glitches out every now and then. Just small stuff. Overall I think the square-bezel Pros have aged MARVELLOUSLY. Even my 2018 is still rocking -- I only upgraded because work offered to upgrade all my personal gadgets during COVID for some reason.

I've gone through two keybaord folios though. The rubberized coating on each has disintegrated to the point where it looks and feels too gross to continue. I'm resisting the urge to get yet another folio just in case they change the camera bump on the next Pro or something and it won't survive a hardware upgrade.

If they go OLED for the pros as the rumors suggest it might convince me to upgrade my 2020 12.9” as the battery is starting to get real sketchy anyway. That’ll depend a lot on how bad the also rumored price hike ends up being, though.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Yeah, the m1 is overkill unless you're in cad work, or a professional artist/image editor/web dev/video editor

Maudib Arakkis
Dec 24, 2023

LEST I GET MORE "OWNED" FOR BEING "STUPID" I WILL SAY THIS IS CATEGORICALLY UNTRUE. IT IS OFTEN PART OF DIAGNOSIS AND STAGING BUT IS ALMOST USELESS FOR TREATMENT.
Who thinks they’re gonna drop a new mini next week

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo
Practicallly certain since I just bought a refurbed 6. Thankfully I'm still in the return window if they do announce, at least.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Well Played Mauer posted:

Practicallly certain since I just bought a refurbed 6.

Thank you for your service :)

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo
Happy to be of service. I will say Iike the form factor quite a bit. It's too small to bother with a case that you'd attach a keyboard to (I tried this but typod so much it just wasn't worth even trying to develop the muscle memory) but it has the split software keyboard they disabled on the iPad Pro for some reason, so it is pretty ok to type on. What few games I play look great on the higher DPI, too. Really hoping they announce a new one that's a significant enough upgrade within the return window but for my use case of "more than a phone, less than a laptop" it's handling everything quite well as is. I'd only really feel driven to upgrade if they improved the RAM or the refresh rate.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
I have a work iPad Pro that just finished its 24 months of AppleCare+. I'm trying to renew the AppleCare+ but it appears tied to my Apple ID and I 1) don't want to make my work Amex the default payment option on my Apple ID or 2) could do a reimbursement but the only option is monthly... it's not worth getting reimbursed the $9.99 every month.

Is there an option to renew for a year (one transaction) or change the payment card for just this purchase? What's the "right" way to do this?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Afaik you can only do the monthly at that point.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Hed posted:

I have a work iPad Pro that just finished its 24 months of AppleCare+. I'm trying to renew the AppleCare+ but it appears tied to my Apple ID and I 1) don't want to make my work Amex the default payment option on my Apple ID or 2) could do a reimbursement but the only option is monthly... it's not worth getting reimbursed the $9.99 every month.

Is there an option to renew for a year (one transaction) or change the payment card for just this purchase? What's the "right" way to do this?

You might be able to buy some Apple Gift cards with whatever payment method you want, apply it from your Apple ID. I *think* it will ding that for the monthly AC instead of any credit card.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

I’m having a problem with my on-screen keyboard; in safari and clip studio the keyboard has become a floating miniature that I cannot get to turn back into the full sized version that is docked to the bottom of the screen. This does not effect apps like Awful here which has it’s own keyboard . Yes I’ve tried to use the 2 fingers spreading away from each other to resize it. How can I get the loving thing back to normal? I have to use the Apple Pencil to peck the tiny keys and it’s driving me up the wall. He;lp

Grimmeh
May 9, 2004

...Putting The Fun Back Into The Funeral

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

I’m having a problem with my on-screen keyboard; in safari and clip studio the keyboard has become a floating miniature that I cannot get to turn back into the full sized version that is docked to the bottom of the screen. This does not effect apps like Awful here which has it’s own keyboard . Yes I’ve tried to use the 2 fingers spreading away from each other to resize it. How can I get the loving thing back to normal? I have to use the Apple Pencil to peck the tiny keys and it’s driving me up the wall. He;lp
Can you tap and hold the bottom of the floating keyboard, and drag it to the bottom of the iPad screen? When you remove your finger, the keyboard should stop floating and snap into place.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Unfortunately this sub menu pops up on the bottom of the screen and prevents the keyboard from docking.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Pinch it open: put two fingers on it and pull them apart to put it back to full size.

e: Nevermind you said you’d done that. Try moving it back to the bottom of the screen in a different app.

Maudib Arakkis
Dec 24, 2023

Turn off split keyboard in settings

Maudib Arakkis
Dec 24, 2023

People will tell you that pinch to zoom mess all the lifelong day. It doesn’t work

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Arivia posted:

Pinch it open: put two fingers on it and pull them apart to put it back to full size.

e: Nevermind you said you’d done that. Try moving it back to the bottom of the screen in a different app.

There are some apps where it simply is in the normal position, docked on the bottom. The apps where it does show up as a mini floating keyboard all have that sub menu on the bottom of the screen (seen in my previous post) that blocks the keyboard being blocked. :/

Maudib Arakkis posted:

Turn off split keyboard in settings

No setting for that apparently.

AH HA SOLUTION FOUND- in the sub menu seen in that previous post, I went to the keyboard switcher (Shown as ENUS (english US) in the menu and it had a "Hide Keyboard" button there. When I hit that the keyboard disappeared and when I went to bring it up again it was back to the normal docked position and size. That wasn't very intuitive at all.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

That wasn't very intuitive at all.

Hey bro that’s not very “it just works” of you. Apple going to come abduct you

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
UK goon here, going to New York in May. I have a 1st generation iPad Pro 9.7 inch that's still perfectly functional, but a lot slower than I'd like and it's now only getting security updates on iOS 16.

Are there any trade-in deals available in the Apple Store or something similar where I could get money towards a new iPad?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

WattsvilleBlues posted:

UK goon here, going to New York in May. I have a 1st generation iPad Pro 9.7 inch that's still perfectly functional, but a lot slower than I'd like and it's now only getting security updates on iOS 16.

Are there any trade-in deals available in the Apple Store or something similar where I could get money towards a new iPad?

yes, Apple does trade-ins. But you won’t get the credit right away until they process it so you’d be best served by sending/bringing it in to Apple first and having the amount added to your gift card balance after about a week or so if your goal is to walk into an NYC Apple Store and walk out with a new iPad or if you want to have it on Day X before your trip or whatever.

Not sure if it’s way faster in-store or if they still have to send the old device away for you to get your credit

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

trilobite terror posted:

yes, Apple does trade-ins. But you won’t get the credit right away until they process it so you’d be best served by sending/bringing it in to Apple first and having the amount added to your gift card balance after about a week or so if your goal is to walk into an NYC Apple Store and walk out with a new iPad or if you want to have it on Day X before your trip or whatever.

Not sure if it’s way faster in-store or if they still have to send the old device away for you to get your credit

I was hoping to be able to get it slightly cheaper in New York but I'm only there for 5 nights. If I trade in the iPad and get a new one, would I then get refunded the amount it was worth or something?

Is another option that I go to the Apple Store near me, trade it in now, then use the credit when buying a new one in the US?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

WattsvilleBlues posted:

I was hoping to be able to get it slightly cheaper in New York but I'm only there for 5 nights. If I trade in the iPad and get a new one, would I then get refunded the amount it was worth or something?

Is another option that I go to the Apple Store near me, trade it in now, then use the credit when buying a new one in the US?

I personally have never done a trade-in in person, but the way it works over the post/internet is that you fill out the info on the webpage and then Apple tells you how much they’d give you assuming that the device works/etc as described. If you agree to it then you wait a couple of days and Apple sends you a special little prepaid box and then you send the device away to be processed. You wait a few more days and then Apple deposits the balance in your gift card account. Then you can use that online or in person to buy poo poo from Apple at the Apple Store.

It might be faster/more immediate in person with some kind of in person inspection like retailers such as GameStop do. I don’t know if Apple does that.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

Every time I’ve done a trade-in at the fruit stand the credit has been applied immediately on my purchase- I do it whenever I get a new phone. I’ve never had to wait for Apple to process anything because they do it right there, they run the diagnostics right in front of you and complete the trade-in immediately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

I traded my air3 in towards an air4 at the Apple Store and they applied the credit towards the purchase immediately, no waiting required. IIRC they powered it up and checked the screen, but I think that’s all they did.