Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Not sure if this is better suited for CC but I've been mulling over getting an iPad to use with ProCreate but I can't really decide on which one.

It would be pretty much, just ProCreate. Maybe I would use it to read some color PDFs that my Kindle Paperwhite isn't really suited for, or needs color.

I used to have a tablet, but it was like, a $100 Acer one and it's basically junk, reboots itself every few minutes, plastic shell is practically falling off, feels like you could twist it in half fairly easily.

I generally do not buy Apple devices, in fact, I tend to not like them, though, mostly that's due to third party apps than the device themselves. So, anyways, ProCreate sounds like the bees knees for digital art, and getting back into art I have physical art supplies, I'm swooning over being able to sketch in layer 1 and then make my fine lines in layer 2 and so on where it'd be a little "easier" in some aspects to do stuff digitally.

I don't need a desktop replacement, in fact I could probably maybe get away with a wacom tablet, but the portability of an iPad is what's drawing me in. I tried on my phone and it's laggy and the apps are kind of clunky, even on a Pixel 4, and all the reviews I see seem to shine about using the device to draw on.

So, of course the iPad Pro 12.9" looks sexy and I like the "well if you get the new one you won't have to worry about it getting old and clunky in 2 years when the new shiny thing comes out" but it's a bit out of my comfortable price range.

I was thinking more of like, either the iPad Mini latest gen (so you get the pencil with it) or a iPad pre-owned previous gen or something. However, I don't really know what's good or what's worth it, and was looking for some opinions, thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I picked up an Air 4th gen w/ the pencil 2 and a cheap flip case and holy moly this thing is bigger than I expected, even though I used a measuring tape.

Part of me is kind of worried I didn't get a big enough internal space but it's probably find since I can upload the art to google drive I think...

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I had a similar thing happen once with a monitor but they emailed back saying they couldn't tell what was wrong, whereupon a sent a long email on what to do to check, they didn't respond, but I got the monitor back and it was working again.....for another 6 months (bad capacitor)

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Good sign, got a new ipad and been on the phone for 30+ minutes with applecare trying to get a year of appletv+ for free, since I should be eligible. Even screenshared (neat) to show I was not actually full of poo poo. :sigh:

edit: took about an hour to get a code + two screenshares and troubleshooting.

GreenBuckanneer fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Feb 4, 2021

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Protocol7 posted:

Also, it's completely dumb, but I wanted the blue pad to match my blue phone. :colbert:

I wanted the rose gold one because my manly rear end likes the girly colors but they didn't have it, and I figured it'd be in a case anyways so it didn't matter.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I'm a little worried about the pressure sensitivity with using the pen. Sometimes on some apps it doesn't register as full pressure until I'm noticing it starts to begin to warp the LCD (you see the lcd water effects kind of thing) so maybe the paperlike will help that

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

ThermoPhysical posted:

Looks like the new iPad Pro 11-inch's accessories will fit the 2020 iPad Air. This could be fun!

Target had one of the accessories out and someone on Reddit tried to buy it (and took a pic). They couldn't sell it until April, but at least it confirms any of the new accessories will work.

It mentioned the Apple Pencil 2...I wonder if the new Pencil will only work on the bigger Pro...

I have that same folio case for my ipad air, it's not bad

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

is there a thread suggestion for third party keyboard/mice that don't require AAA/AA batteries?

I don't want to buy a magic keyboard or whatever because I want to be able to set up my 2020 iPad Air separately on a mount, and have the keyboard/mouse be a separate entity.

In a few weeks/months I might want to get a dock/plug on the cheap so I can charge the ipad from the mount and hook up an external hard drive to it as well.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

sleepwalkers posted:

Logitech MX Keys

That's about 60-80% more expensive than I was hoping for. Maybe I should just get a cable dock and wired keyboard instead....

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Arivia posted:

Yeah, the catch that you're running into is that any keyboard that connects to the iPad is going to use one of three things: the lightning/usb-c port, bluetooth, or a smart connector. the smart connector would be directly connected to the pad, so that's not what you want. you don't want something connected by the port, so there's actually no wired connections left - only bluetooth. that means the keyboard is already wireless, so it's unlikely to have a wired power connector. then you've cut it down further by saying you don't like removable standard batteries for some reason, so you pretty much have only two options left: top-end high quality wireless keyboards (of which the mx keys seems to be general consensus) or crap wireless keyboards (in which case go ahead and just order whatever the hell thing looks cute on amazon because it'll die before the new device shine wears off).

Having to remember to charge some AA/AAA batteries is just not tenable for me, so I guess wired it is!

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I'm half debating getting an ipad pro 12.9" but I just can't justify the price but for a mini-fake laptop/art tablet and use my phone as a hotspot makes me HRMMM

Oh that's a good question:

Can you hook up a controller to the ipads?

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Arivia posted:

update: i am very tired and frustrated at how hard it is to get a handful of folders to sync from my desktop computer to my ipad. i would literally like itunes to just take my files and sync them to the ipad, but apparently that's too much to ask. drag and drop file storage has to be configured on a per app basis, and doesn't seem to sync automatically. my best effort so far is using readdle's documents app to sync a google drive folder, because lmao apple won't let you store files for offline use from icloud to the ipad in case you don't live in a major city's downtown 24/7.

Yeah, the iPad Air 4 is my first iPad I've ever used, coming from Android, and I'm really grumpy about each app being sandboxed from everything else. I've never got any viruses or malware on the android ecosystem. It grinds my gears since I consider myself in general a "power user" and don't end up liking it when software keeps me from doing what I want.

But, I still like the ipad, it's just kind of backwards to me for things I consider "normal"

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Comatoast posted:

Erm, the "Files" app can connect to smb shares. I use this feature to manually copy my keepass database to my phone every so often. It's a simple copy/paste operation into a folder on the phone.

Anytime I leave the network the SMB share is on and try to re-connect to it, I have to press the eject button and re-connect to it entirely, which is a bit irritating.

On top of the fact the Files app chugs on big files and I've had to restart the whole ipad to get it to unstick

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Arivia posted:

I did try those. Syncing was supported to cloud services that aren't iCloud, as I noted, so I'd be paying $15 a month to Google for the ~250GB of PDFs that fit on my iPad storage normally.

And disregarding the time spent uploading and downloading, and using up your data

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I just tried it out over my hotspot at work today. Works….decently well….but you absolutely need a controller. The touch screen interface works but it’s awkward. Nothing beats holding the hardware controller in your hand.

It’s fine with a turn based game, but there’s totally latency of a good 250-500ms, and who knows how much that’d eat into my “unlimited” data.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Krispy Wafer posted:

It's not that it's turned off by default, it just doesn't work. The iPad isn't recognizing it as a trackpad or touch sensitive mouse. It see's it as a mouse without a scroll wheel. So it works, but like a mid-1990's mouse without a scroll wheel.

And considering how few people have posted angry rants about their 11 year old input devices not working with iPads, it's never going to work.

I would say "who buys a mouse without a scroll wheel" but then I think of my experience with a gaming mouse on iOS where I have to scroll slowly or if I scroll quickly like on PC, it goes all the way down like I just hard flicked the screen and it pisses me off.

Then again, I also want my back/forward/middle click to work how I want it too...

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Arivia posted:

You have to attach specifically a trackpad, then turn it off in the trackpad settings, then it applies whenever you plug a mouse in.

:whoptc:

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Just for the sake of argument, the max watts of a wall outlet is 1800w, so unless you're plugging in 18 100w chargers you're probably fine

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

xzzy posted:

Well my concern is more with a company trying to cram a half dozen usb-c ports into a tiny little plastic box and have each port deliver max power and melting itself to death.

That's fair, they can make them small, to a point. It's probably a liability over convinience for now

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Because not everyone wants the mini?

The air has gone a bit without a refresh but it’s very far from bad.

The mini is too small for what I wanted the iPad for, which was drawing and playing some games or browsing the web while at work on a hotspot (I would have preferred to get an iPad Pro, but that was out of my price range) so I got the 2020 Air.

Other than some general iOS complaints (iOS seems pretty terrible for mice with more than 1 button, or wanting back/forward buttons in safari which I use for literally everything all the time in Windows/Firefox, as an example) I think it's great and has done everything else I've asked of it.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Sorry, I meant, I use the back/forward buttons on a hardware mouse all the time on a desktop, and wish I could figure out a way to use them on iOS. I can connect a mouse and it works, but not how I want it to.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Martytoof posted:

For sure. I think I failed to get that across in my post. TouchID would be the only thing that would make me go "hmm" but ultimately it's really really cool to see the 2018 still cranking. The battery on that thing will go before it becomes unusable IMO

My 2020 iPad air pretty much stays connected to power 95% of the time, barely letting it dip below 90% most of the time.

I know letting these batteries full discharge ruins them so I just leave it plugged in as much as possible.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Jose Oquendo posted:

This isn't true anymore if you leave the default power management settings turned on.

Obligatory don't janitor your batteries or give a poo poo about them. Your battery IS going to lose its max capacity over time. There's not a drat thing you can do about it.

I wish when the batteries go in these devices they'd at least offer a way to replace them, like free for first battery change or something

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I got the 64gb ipad air 2020 version and wish I had gone for the 256gb version instead

however, especially for media consumption (especially if you pre-download videos like netflix stuff) you can offload some of that into a somewhat cheap USB drive if you also get a USB-C dock for it, so there's still options.

Then again, I got a stand for it and have my air hooked up to a USB hub where I have an actual desktop (windows) mechanical rgb keyboard and windows gaming mouse connected to the ipad air lol

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

anothergod posted:

Literally anything you want to do can be done on the regular iPad. If you want to consume video or game the mini is really great and has the most powerful non pro chip. The air is old, expensive for what it is, and overpowered for what you need, but like all things it can be worth it if you find a deal.

if you have a semi recent phone, an ipad mini is typically only 2" larger, and was harder to justify (for me) for something that is only 100$ cheaper than an ipaid air which was 4" larger. Realistically, the 2020 air is only less than 2 years old, and everything I've thrown at it works perfectly (as a mini computer I draw on sometimes, so screen size is more important to me than a more powerful cpu I haven't been able to max out as is)

I don't like watching content on my pixel 4xl because it's not large enough, an 8.3" screen wouldn't be large enough either. (if I had the money I would have got the 12.9" ipad pro)

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

anothergod posted:

Yah. The air is plenty powerful for non pro workflows. It’s also pretty cumbersome in bed and heavy to hold near your face. The standard iPad does all that for half the price. I think the last time I was in this thread it was a bunch of air owners justifying their purchase the same way. Gotta have the power/size just in case.

Tbh I personally find holding a phone in bed is cumbersome already, and holding a switch is cumbersome. I've been debating getting a bed mount for tablets instead

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

ijyt posted:

If people are having a hard time seeing the green on an Air they need an optometrist, not a bigger screen.

Yeah old people have constant eye problems, at least the 60+ year old's I work with. Eye leaking, lasik surgery, stopping what they're doing to put their face close to the screen while looking down their glasses

I hope my eyesight doesn't degrade that much when I'm old

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Endless Mike posted:

It will, and it's normal. Maybe not eye leaking, but as you turn 40, your near sight will degrade (far sight can stay totally fine), and you'll almost certainly need reading glasses at some point. Sorry you have to learn this way.

I'm 33 and I'm nearsighted and have a slight astigmatism, and I never had glasses till middle school and I'm 33 now. Last time I went to the eye doctor, my eyesight got better?? The doctor said that happens sometimes??

I can see fine close up but I did notice a slight change in wearing glasses at my gaming pc that blades of grass were better defined. I usually always have sunglasses available, and use them often, along with the blue tint on my glasses too when I can.

It's really currently only an issue if I want to read text 20-30' away that I need the glasses without squinting.

I really doubt something so drastic would change in 6 years

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Mister Facetious posted:

Going on ten years now and damned if the 2012 Mac Mini wasn't one of the most value efficient purchases I've ever made.

I will agree, though some users I've talked to expect their 2012 mac mini to have the performance of a 2021 mac mini and well, that goes about as well as you'd expect

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Clark Nova posted:

In a lot of cases you can't run the app on a mac even if they don't offer a mac version, because the developer can explicitly disallow it and most of them do

Why?

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

MarcusSA posted:

Awful app

You can't search with it, I end up using the forums through safari instead because of that

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Won't you have the thing in a case anyway?

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

The Grumbles posted:

No because I am a fool and I like the sleek feel of naked technology

I just can't justify having a thousand dollar device without some sort of protection, even if it's minimal

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

The iPad not being able to extend it's screen to a second screen instead of mirroring is a Non-Starter for me.

My windows computer has 3 monitors right now, so that's the bare minimum for me for my expectations for a computer replacement. Before you ask, I use all three monitors. I also have 3 monitors at work, too.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Endless Mike posted:

This is not intended as a dig, but I can't imagine a world where an iPad will ever be an adequate computer replacement for someone who considers three monitors the bare minimum.

To be fair, it has the hardware. Using it as a single replacement monitor is fine, albeit a bit wonky. It certainly needs an output to a 27"+ monitor though for actual desktop tasks

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

what's the best audiobook player for iPad that supports downloaded books? on android I use Smart Audiobook and it's perfecto

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

~Coxy posted:

"BookPlayer"

Assuming you have a bunch of MP3s on a computer the easiest way to load them in is through iCloud Drive.

I tried that one and the resolution was a third of the screen and zoomed in, it was unusable

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Worth it to upgrade to an m1? Or whatever 2022 air from 2020?

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Tacier posted:

Not unless your iPad is feeling sluggish for your purposes. I mainly web browse and watch YouTube, so I’m only now getting ready to upgrade from an iPad Air 2 from 2014.

I was thinking of more to upgrade the storage to a bigger one, I picked 64 and should have gone bigger

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Endless Mike posted:

The one time I had to replace an iPad was because I knocked if off the counter and it hit the tile on the corner.

Most tablets aren't really built with falling on their corners. They're usually fine if they fall on their face or on their back, sans the glass fracturing.