Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
Do people really prefer using cases here over sleeves? I totally get it for phones but cases totally wreck the iPad experience for me (especially floppy-rear end covers), as :smug: as that may sound. Same goes for aluminum MacBooks. I'd much rather keep my rMBP in a sleeve or on my desk than slap a hardshell on it.

I've had an Air 1 for over a year now and the thing's as naked as when it was pulled out of the box. I keep it in one of these whenever it isn't in use and it's pristine. And I really use my iPad a lot and take it all over.

The Herschel case has probably the best quality I've seen for the price (better if you get it for $13 at TJ Maxx like I did, tho). I think the padding is quite good and the fit and finish are excellent. The outer materials are hardwearing and the fleece interior is a very nice touch.

The only thing worse on an iPad than a case is a case with an attached keyboard, which is why I like this thing. It's portable enough for my needs and the typing experience is much better than most iPad keyboards'. I also like the Keys to Go if you'd rather have some more portability and ruggedness at the expense of typing feel and cost. My girlfriend has a venerable Ultrathin Keyboard, which I personally hate and don't recommend. The build quality's also a little suspect.

Soft synths and music apps are one of my primary iPad uses so I'm naturally curious about the Pro. I haven't seen it in person yet but the sense I'm getting is that, for me, it would benefit from exactly the same treatment. No hard case or floppy bits and a separate keyboard for when you need it. The ProCREATE looks godawful for when you want a tablet and I couldn't fathom making an already big tablet even bigger.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Stefan Prodan posted:

How do you prop it up if you don't use a case?

I honestly don't prop it up very often. I keep some cheap little stands around for the rare occasion that I do.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
I'm 99% positive that it will be more cost effective to just get him an iPad Air 1 or previous-gen Mini (not too old, they're kinda weak)- maybe refurbished if you really wanna save.

I commend the consumer responsibility that your parents are showing by getting it repaired but an iPad 2 is just so far behind in terms of basically every spec that it's actually a worse experience to use now because the software is so much newer. Even a two year-old Air has exponentially more power with which to run an OS and apps. And this is before you touch on the retina display, better battery, and lighter weight.

I can't see spending $250 or whatever on a repair justifiable when Airs were going for roughly the same amount last weekend.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

SIR FAT JONY IVES posted:

For dad? I seriously suggest you just buy him a refurbished iPad Air and sell his old one as is on eBay. I'd be happy to kick in some of the cost of a refurb Air 16GB if it saves you the hassle of dealing with that.

The iPad Thread- We crowdfunded some random goon's Christmas in lieu of letting his parents suffer the indignity of repairing an iPad 2 (it doesn't even have a retinaRetina display!)

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Whoops.

Happy holidays goon siblings.

I'm sure mom and pop are super proud.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

GobiasIndustries posted:

For Christmas this year, my family is buying my grandparents an iPad Air 2, to replace their original iPad. Since their iPad is so old and running a very old version of iOS I presume, will I be able to help them migrate over to the Air via iTunes backup, or is it so old that it'll basically be starting fresh?

It really depends on what they have on it.

Also, can an OG iPad backup to iCloud? If so, that would be my recommendation, and probably the easiest solution.

Any (still existing) App Store apps should transfer regardless.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
Hold onto it and maybe try to keep the battery from totally bricking if it's not too much of a PITA? Might be worth a couple hundo to an Internet person in 25 years.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
Got to play around with the Surface Book and iPad Pro w/ Pencil yesterday.

I only got like 15 minutes with each device but I was honestly surprised by how much better and more natural/responsive the Pencil felt in use than the Surface Pen. I tried a bunch of drawing apps and OneNote on both.

Pencil support needs to come to the smaller iPads (not the current ones, obviously).

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Dec 23, 2015

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
Also- I wonder if the 3D Touch tech that arguably more people want to see come to the iPad would be compatible/cost-effective with Pencil support.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

hooah posted:

My wife got an iPad mini 2 for Christmas, and the rear camera seems somewhat grainy. Is expected, or did she get a bum unit?

How grainy? You'll never get pictures to look as sharp on the retina screen as ones taken with better cameras but it's also definitely possible to get a bum camera unit.

If you're seriously concerned your best bet is probably to A/B it with a floor model at your local Apple Store or whatever.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

AlternateAccount posted:

Battery stats for my iPad pro today were:

Standby: 99hrs
Usage: 99hrs

4% left. That can't be right. Battery life on this thing has seemed kind of crap from the beginning. I reset it, there's no weird apps pounding all day, is there something else I should try?

Take it to the Apple Store. If you've reset it a bunch and it still gives you wonky battery and charging behavior then it's a hardware issue.

My girlfriend's new 6S was doing the same thing and they ended up swapping her phone.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
All this keyboard case chat just highlights my biggest beef with premium keyboard cases- they're more trouble than they're worth for me. They're better for typing than a less robust portable keyboard but they really hobble the tablet form factor where it's supposed to shine.

I just keep one of these in my backpack for when I need it. Collectively with the iPad, the combo takes up a similar volume to a keyboard case anyway.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

tuyop posted:

I think the answer is "books". Like, a novel provides over 20 hours of entertainment and is max 4mb.

Maybe games? I spent like 3/4 of an 8-hour layover nostalgia-tripping through GTA: Vice City on my Air 1 one time.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Boris Galerkin posted:

Hat does an iPad pro have over an air again? 3D sensitive touching? (Not counting the better processor of course since I imagine all upgrades will get them).

Pencil Support and four speakers for portrait/landscape stereo.

I have an Air 1 that I use for reading/annotating tons of biology literature PDFs and I've also played extensively with a Pro/Pencil combo. I would highly recommend getting an iPad with Pencil support over one without, it's a huuuuge step up from other, 3rd party styli.

If the new 10" iPad ends up being Pencil compatible, I'll probably replace my Air with one.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Social Animal posted:

Yikes really? This is my first iPad so I wasn't sure how bad it would be. If the sale is still going on tomorrow then I'll exchange it otherwise I'll just return it if it's a waste.

They are literally coming out with brand new ones tomorrow.

Even if the upgrade isn't worth the additional cost to you, the mini 4 will still be just as heavily discounted- if not more so.

Pre-upgrade announcement fire sales are for suckers who can't wait for post-upgrade announcement fire sales.

Fortunately you can return it all the same.

And yes, get the 64gb- you'll eat through 16gb in no time. I like to doodle with phone pics, play games, and make music (softsynths, not GarageBand) with my Air and I'm constantly hitting the 32gb wall and it's super frustrating.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Amish Ninja posted:

Disappointing to be sure. I haven't bought an apple device in a long time, but I'm thinking of grabbing the iPad Air 2 now mainly because I want a tablet and the one I currently have (Lenovo Yoga) is a total piece. Now that the IPA2 is $100 cheaper would it be worth it to just get one and call it a day?

Sure thing- but if you think you'd want high-performance stylus compatibility in the future, it might be worth spending the extra money for the new 9.7" Pro. At $599 for 32gb, it more-or-less costs the same as the Air used to at that storage level, even if the stylus is another $100 on top of that.

I'm one of the seemingly rare unicorns that actually does work stuff and even makes things using an iPad and the Apple Pencil is by far the nicest, most capable stylus you can get.

It easily rivals the Surface Pen, minus the annoyingly bendy tip.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

japtor posted:

The performance difference isn't really slight.

As mentioned it's basically what an iPad Air 3 would be in everything but name. It could just be like what they did with the retina MBPs, where they jacked up the price for new models and left the old one behind for a lower price, and eventually the retina MBP price came down. Or it could be like the iPad mini where it was originally $329, got bumped to $399 and hasn't come back down for the newest models.

Splitting the lineup like this allows Apple to keep the Air 2 (which is, troublingly for Apple, still plenty powerful for what a great many iPad owners do, or don't do, with their tablets- which in turn influences the breadth and depth of what developers will code for the platform) around at a lower price point and also market a more powerful, more capable version differently- as though it were for a different class of user.

They want to shake the perception that the iPad is only good for the lightest of jobs but they know that too many of their users won't ever put more than a handful of apps on their tablet and maybe consistently flip between Messages, Safari, Music, Facebook, and maybe YouTube or Netflix.

I think that ultimately Apple want to prove that the iPad can be a 'serious tool' and incentivize customers and developers to explore that direction but they don't want to invest in bringing that hardware upgrade across the whole lineup when they know that a sizable majority of iPad users never come close to taxing the hardware limits of the Air 2, far be it something with way more power, and will never spend money on the Pencil or be interested in currently-nonexistent Smart Connector peripherals.

It's a calculated move but it makes sense. My dad will probably be happy setting up fantasy football picks and Facebooking on his Mini 3 until 2020, whereas I could actually use a Pencil-equipped iPad with more horsepower and a legitimately capable, usable camera for my academic work and softsynth hobby.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Tenterhooks posted:

I think it might be. I'm an illustrator who uses a Wacom every day. Since the big Pro was announced, I've been itching for Pencil support to come to the smaller sizes. The 12.9 is too big / expensive for what I see as being the Pro's best function (for me at least) - it's a digital sketchbook. I often work on roughs for clients in a regular Moleskine-style notebook when I'm out and about but I always need to get to a scanner / Photoshop at some point to actually do anything with my ideas.

The entry-level 9.7 Pro convinced me to give it a try. In theory, it's all I need to carry to do a pretty substantial part of my job from anywhere.

Do update us on how it goes....

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

I said come in! posted:

I use my 13" non-retina Macbook Pro primarily for watching video (usually movies streamed from my desktop HDD, or twitch.tv) while doing other things on my desktop. By today's standards it is a heavy laptop with a low screen resolution and a terrible hard drive (that I replaced with a Samsung SSD). So I was thinking about selling my MBP and getting the 13" iPad Pro to replace it. I was curious about your guys thoughts? Why might I want to go with this tablet over some of the other tablets in the 10" or bigger range? I am not really that familiar with tablets in this size range and what they offer. I currently have a 2013 Google Nexus 7" that i'm going to just give to my parents.

Because iOS takes hot flaming dumps on Android in the tablet sphere, plain and simple. I get that there are tons of reasons why people prefer different flavors of Android phones over iPhones but Android tablets don't get nearly the same level of investment and polish.

An iPad is simply going to give you a much better, more polished experience with waaaaay more available and interesting software, and you'll be able to do much more with it if you want as a result.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

I said come in! posted:

Thank you, those are very good arguments for a iPad Pro. I do like my Google Nexus tablet but the screen is too small now for what I want to do with it.

Android tablets just never caught up to the iPad saleswise so there's been consistently way more fragmentation and incompatibility issues, more troublesome manufacturer-specific "flavor," fewer/less modern features and more bugs in the OS, and a worse app ecosystem- which all sort of help perpetuate each other and depress sales.

For example, the iPad (and to a lesser extent the iPhone) has been a surprisingly rich and powerful platform for hosting software instruments like synths, effects, and drum machines for about four or five years now and it can easily communicate with other MIDI-compliant devices, now wirelessly even. Android juuuuust got core MIDI like a year ago and there are plenty of tablets on the market that don't ship with that version of the OS or don't have an easy way of getting it.

For a while, the "Recommend me a tablet" thread was basically the "Just get an iPad. If you can't or won't get an iPad then I guess you can get..." Thread.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

I said come in! posted:

Apple is the only one who makes a 13" tablet that I can find? The rest are 10" and having something a bit bigger for video would be really nice. I just need to make sure I can actually sell this Macbook Pro now. :D

:phoneb:~~~~~:o: just do it baby :o:~~~~~:phone:

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Rubiks Pubes posted:

Animated emojis like the ones in the post above mine look weird with True Tone on. It's like the iPad can't render around the movement to fix the tones.

Good thing he's asking about the 13" one which doesn't have a True Tone screen.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Calaveron posted:

So is it worth it to upgrade from an air 1 to a pro 9.7? Super tempted.

If the extra juice, nicer cameras, and Pencil support are worth it to you.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Creature posted:

If I recall correctly, Apple didn't do online preorders until the iPhone 5, so if you wanted one on launch day you had to queue. These days it's just the turbonerds who line up.

One of my favorite memories of the 5 launch was taking delivery of my new phone at like 10 AM, setting it up over a late breakfast, and then using it to call my friend who was still camped out in line.

Online preordering done changed the game.

Rubiks Pubes posted:

I wasn't referring to whatever post you think I was referring to. Just posting an observation.

And I wanted to clarify in case that poster interpreted it as being about him. Sorry if it came off pointed.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Calaveron posted:

Kinda bullshit 9.7 smart keyboards are impossible to find

Nobody wants them why would you care? Get the Microsoft one that people like.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Tab8715 posted:

How fragile is an iPad or how do I know if I need a case? And if I do, which one because they are way too goddamn many. :smith:

I have literally this (and I got it for $13 at TJ Maxx for some indiscernible reason) and only this protecting my silver Air.

It has been that way for the entire 2 years that I've owned it and it's never gotten so much as a blemish. Whenever it's not being used it goes straight into the sleeve and that's about it.

That aside, the drat thing gets tossed, trucked around, and left in my bag pretty much nonstop. I use it constantly for school and work.

The things that hurt iOS devices are drops and neglect/being left in the way. If you're good about those two factors then you don't need extra protective stuff marring the looks and finish. Don't drop it- or use it over tables/etc if you're a klutz- and don't leave it places where it can be sat on/spilled on/stepped on/knocked down without a padded sleeve.

If it gets crusty/dirty/oily, just wipe it down with a soft, maybe lightly damp, cloth and never use any alcohol or stripping agent like Windex.

Boom, you are now an iPad expert and your iPad will remain beautiful, nude and resplendent, barring someone else's gently caress up.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Question Mark Mound posted:

I think that's mostly just for character sheet stuff, thanks though! I'll compare it to some on I found called "d20 Fight Club"

There are tons of D&D sheet apps out there.

Or if you'd like, I could even send you a macro'd PDF for 5th Edition that'll work with PDF Expert or similar high-powered reader apps.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Question Mark Mound posted:

That'd be awesome, thanks!

cryptoclastic posted:

I would be interested in this as well actually!

Aight, PM me your email addresses.

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Apr 11, 2016

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
QMM, apropos of your initial D&D question: I would try using OneNote before Scrivener.

OneNote has officially eaten Evernote's lunch in the 'dedicated organization and notes platform' field and it's free, cloud-connected, great on desktop, and probably better suited for what you need than Scrivener, which is more of a dedicated long-form writing platform for people writing novels/dissertations/long articles/books/kindle smut.

Also/alternatively, most good note-taking and PDF apps come with some degree of paper scanning and text-recognition features, and ScannerPro is always getting discounts and promotions.

I use ScannerPro myself for work and school to digitize notes, diagrams, forms, and receipts all the time. You could always write your stuff out on paper and make a digital backup or reference that way.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Calaveron posted:

Yeowch. For some reason my nib is turning pink and I hope this isn't a thing that'll affect performance because I'm having a blast learning how to paint on procreate with it

The iPad Thread: My nib is turning pink

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

HarryPurvis posted:

Another thing that has jumped out to is support for 12.9 Pro accessories are far more limited compared to the rest of the iPad lineup. Would it really be so hard to create a bluetooth or smart connector keyboard with a kickstand that supports multiple viewing positions and has a magnetic hinge so I can snap the iPad on and off easily?

The 12.9" form factor was just introduced this past fall with the Pro while 9.7" has been more-or-less the standard screen size from Day One. On top of that, the Air 2 has been out for over two years at this point and is also compatible with *some* Air 1 peripherals- which is also a good time to point out all of the iPad/2/3/4/Air owners who still want cases and poo poo. The Air 2's also substantially less expensive (and more of a mass-market device) than the Pro when new. Also iPads as a segment haven't been selling as aggressively as they used to and case manufacturers are probably less fired up to flood the market with lots of affordable designs- especially not for a bigger, more expensive device that's already being marketed as the "niche" member of the family.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
Apple needs to lower the price on it. At least take $100 off of it.

Frankly I think they kind of need to do it to the whole iPad line- except maybe the Mini- but I can't imagine how they'd do it without people immediately yelling fire and brimstone about tablets, Apple, or both.

Either that or they need to start maybe bundling peripherals and pushing the iPad Pro more as a complete system than as a bigger iPad with some available add-ons.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
^^--This.

My Air doesn't have a protruding camera but I never lay it flat on a hard surface. I'll always put it on top of its sleeve if I'm gonna set it down somewhere that isn't pillowy. Sometimes it'll end up on top of a book or whatever, but never flat on, like, a table or the floor. That's part of how I've kept it so clean without any case or skin bullshit. All nude, no 'tude.

Anyway, the camera shouldn't be an issue if used like that. Alternatively, a skin/shell should make the camera sit flush, but why cover up that sexy rose gold we all know you want?

And I'm not just saying it because I'm biased toward having the nicer camera (not for dipshit iPad photography, for actual work and school stuff. If it's as nice as the 6S' then it's a drat useful thing to have if you do a lot of scanning/imaging/benchwork that you want to document quickly).

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
The only downside is apps. If you plan to really get into the App Store, a lot of apps aren't optimized for the bigger screen yet. They just get stretched from 9.7" which is pretty balls.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

beergod posted:

Loving the screen. So huge.

Is there still no way to download files (From BitTorrent or elsewhere) directly to the iPad?

VLC player, but they'll have to go through a computer first.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

The Lord Bude posted:

The Air 2 is significantly cheaper than the 9.7" pro, so assuming I have no interest in the pencil am I really missing out on that much by just getting the Air 2? Usage will be web browsing, Netflix, Hearthstone, kindle app, email and perhaps some other games if anything takes my fancy.

Nope. Get the Air 2 if you think it meets your needs. It's still a really capable device and you'll probably have a great time.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Housh posted:

I just bought a 9.7" Pro with the silicon case and smart cover. The store was out of the stylus so I'm going to order it online. I just grabbed the smart cover because I didn't like the keyboard on the 9.7"

Are these cases good? I can still return the cases in 2 weeks according to the apple store guy. This is my first ipad.

Get a sleeve and use the iPad nude instead.

It's the only way to feel Jony's sweet, sweet aluminum against your skin like so many metal caresses. Like Steve caressing you from beyond the grave.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Digital Jesus posted:

I'm about 48 hours into owning a 12.9" Pro and I'm pretty conflicted on it. As a work tool, absolutely brilliant. The screen is freaking gorgeous and I'm enjoying the Pencil for making notes and scribbling on PDFs. Unfortunately I'm finding it impractical for reading in bed compared to my Air 2. It almost feels like I still need my Air or even a Mini as well, but that would be overkill.

I'm using it naked at the moment but I have a Sena Vettra folio case on the way. I'm used to using Apple's leather smart cases on previous iPads, how does this compare both quality-wise and in terms of added bulk?

What apps should I be grabbing to really make this thing shine? I want to completely fall in love with it but I'm not quite there yet.

Air

Air 2

Look around, browse other models and maybe get whatever you're comfortable spending?

$319 for a refurb 32gb Air kept on your bedside table or couch or wherever you want a smaller "home" tablet to reside isn't bad.

If you still have one, just keep it. Use it at home and try to differentiate its use from the bigger one's.

As for apps, do you like making music? Can you play an instrument? Do you like games? What kind of games? There are lots of apps out there buddy. :colbert:

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Digital Jesus posted:

I still have my Air 2 but I intend to sell it on as having two iPads is a little too indulgent.

I do play guitar/bass and have been screwing around with some iOS synth stuff as well. Love games, just about anything really. I guess I was just looking for general recommendations for things that are specifically nice on the giant screen. I've already found a few apps that look like poo poo scaled up that much, which might be contributing to me not really loving the thing.

If you like synths, I know that Korg Gadget and Moog Model 15 have both been optimized for the bigger Pro display and Model 15 has Pencil support. Lots of others probably have been updated as well at this point, but I couldn't tell you which, and those two are flagships that every iOS synthesist should have anyway. For best results, add a MIDI keyboard.

My Air was a gift so I don't feel the same economic incentive to try to recoup money from it, but I can totally see where you're coming from. Funnily enough, music is my main excuse for thinking about keeping it.

Apps like Audiobus and Audioshare are good for routing and recording stuff through multiple apps from within a single iPad but I've been feeling increasingly constrained by having one screen.

I'm thinking that I could have one iPad serving as a control surface with TouchAble and TC-11/TC-Data while the other hosts a synth or something like that. For all that having multiple iPads seems decadent and stupid, refurbs and gently-used older models that could easily pull that duty are dirt cheap these days.

LODGE NORTH posted:

Found out the answer to this is iCloud Music library which is essentially just iTunes Match for Apple Music users? I don't know, but it does what I need it to.

:viggo: iTunes Match used to have the same functionality with its 'upload' feature for songs that it couldn't find matches for. If you had them in your library, it would just search for a bit and then upload them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

roofus619 posted:

Speaking of iTunes Match, does it still have the issue where explicit songs are getting replaced by the censored versions when downloaded? I stopped using it a few years ago and that's the reason way.

I don't know, but I'd assume that they fixed it back when it made the news. I've literally never had that problem and I've been a subscriber since 2012.