Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero
Pricing image is missing the 128GB option. The one I need to start saving for now if the new iPad is July!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Is there anything I need to do now to make sure I'll be able to downgrade my (nonjailbroken) iPad from iOS 7 to iOS 6 in the future if I choose to? I have an iPad 2, and the reports I'm hearing of iOS 7 performance on it aren't particularly encouraging, but I wouldn't mind trying to upgrade and see for myself if I know I can switch back.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Diabolik900 posted:

Basically, you just have to do it before Wednesday, because once it's officially released Apple will stop signing the software and you won't be able to go back.

My iPad (and iPhone 5 for that matter) are running iOS 6 now; I'm perfectly ok waiting until Wednesday to get it so I don't have to deal with finding Dev versions of iTunes for my Mac to keep syncing with it. I just wasn't sure what I needed to download now to make sure I had a signed copy of iOS 6.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

wdarkk posted:

Does AT&T do the "deactivate your sim when you cancel" bullshit Verizon is now? I'm feeling pissed off.

You mean killing the data plan that still has time/data left on it when you tell the iPad to cancel instead of killing the auto-renewal and allowing you to use the remaining time/data? I saw that happen on my AT&T iPad 2, figured I'd just accidentally clicked the wrong thing.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Just please let there be preorders. Don't want to wait in line like I did for the iPad 2 and watch foreign families go in and buy two for each member of the family and have them run out of the model I want like last time.

Wait, I want 128GB. Only crazy people want those, so I should be good! :downs:

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

JazzFlight posted:

Well, there is the fingerprint sensor and separate motion processor, probably.

I'm assuming the motion processor probably won't add greatly to the iPad's utility. Then again, people use iPads as camera, so why not as a portable music player while jogging...

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Sieg posted:

I like to use: http://www.mac2sell.net/

It is a good general guide.

I can't find anyplace offering even half the amount this site is saying for my iPad 2 64GB AT&T

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Sieg posted:

When you say "anyplace" do you mean something like Gazelle? Because you aren't going to pull in close to what it is worth going that route. M2S shows $440, which does seem a little high. On my local CL there are a couple of 64GB Wifi models that people are asking $350 for.

Those were the initial places I looked, but but Craigslist around here is still about $100 under that for newer iPads (although without 3G). And the ads you see are what people are asking, not necessarily getting. Ebay auctions with bids say probably $250-$300 top, vs $205 from Gazelle and $220-$240 for Amazon.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Has Apple officially announced the Oct 22 date, or is it still just a rumor from the (admittedly usually reliable) AllThingsD? Seems like the press invites should have gone out by now given it's 8 days out.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

And the invite is out, and I'm a needless worrier.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

They already do. It was added to the lineup back in January.

Well, for the full iPad. Mini still tops out at 64GB (which I don't see changing).

Gruber is talking about how this is a larger venue than the iPhone announcement, which seems odd. Guessing maybe because it'll also cover Mavericks and the new Mac Pro?

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Just noticed that they're doing 128GB for the Mini as well as the Air now. That plus the mini being $100 cheaper (which I still don't understand since I'd assume the new screen technology in the Mini would be more costly than the Air screen they've been using since the iPad 3) means I might need to hit up an Apple store and see how bad reading some of the more painful PDF/books/textbooks I have is on the smaller screen. I know it won't be as sharp as the Retina display it'll be getting, but it's more going to be text size when seeing the whole page.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

mediaphage posted:

What's the deal with Apple's order page for the iPads proclaiming that they will only work for the provider you select, when you hit the cellular options?

It controls which SIM comes with the device I believe. You can swap the SIM for most carriers, although I think Verizon also requires the IMEI to be one of theirs, so you wouldn't be able to take an AT&T iPad and move it to Verizon in the US.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Nihiliste posted:

I specifically asked for a Kindle for Christmas last year because as much as I like my iPad 3, the weight, battery life, and screen do not make it conducive to reading. I'm upgrading to an Air this weekend - that should be a massive improvement in weight, but I imagine that I'll stick to my Kindle when reading for the other two factors.

Well, the great thing about the Kindle ecosystem is that you can read on whatever device and your position is sync'ed as long as everything has network connectivity. I flip between my Kindle/iPhone/iPad a fair bit depending on where I am, what device I have with me and how long I'm going to be reading.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Feenix posted:

I'm gonna go balls out (I always seem to! ) and get the cellular 128.

Gonna feel gooood.

My plan as well. Just can't decide between Air now or Mini later.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Nihiliste posted:

If you're going to go for the top of the line, a Mini would save a little cash and be more portable. The Air is more practical if you're at home and/or using it for work.

It's cheaper and more portable, but I often end up using it as a PDF viewer which makes me think bigger screen might make more sense. I figure I'll put together a set of the more challenging PDFs I've needed to read, put them up someplace where I can download them, and hit the Apple Store sometime after the 1st to check out the Air's ergonomics with the change in size weight and check how they work on the mini screen size. It won't be the resolution of the Mini Retina display, but should still give a hint to how it'll be.

e: plus the likely-supply-constrained Mini vs the likely-available Air.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Nihiliste posted:

Keep in mind that one of the reasons people are all excited about the Retina Mini is that its resolution should make documents (and websites) MUCH more legible. If your vision is good, you're not losing much by switching from 9.7 inches to 7.9.

Right, but below a certain effective font size it doesn't matter how perfectly formed the characters are with sub-visible pixels; you still aren't going to be able to read them. The retina iPhones and the non-retina iPads aren't that far off in resolution, but reading a full page PDF on an iPhone without zooming is less possible than on the iPad.

It's one of the reasons I'm ok with testing on the current Mini; if the font is fuzzy and hard to read due to character definition, I assume retina will clean that up. If it's just too small to read, then it'll still probably be too small to read with retina.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

MrYenko posted:

Went flying with a friend with an iPad for the first time last night, and I can now see the appeal of a mini. A full size iPad in the front seats of a 172 with two full grown men is...

...Personal.

With a good kneeboard-style mount a full-size iPad is not too bad, though the mini seems a better form factor for that. And approach charts are already almost Mini-sized to start with.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

kitten smoothie posted:

Looks like there is indeed just one model worldwide, and the only difference is Sprint or Verizon one is just on the respective CDMA whitelist. Meanwhile there's two different models of the original iPad Mini given the carrier/region.

http://www.apple.com/ipad/LTE/

And at least in theory, Verizon should have dropped the concept of a whitelist for LTE due to the open access rules they accepted as part of the 700MHz auction. Think Verizon's still figuring out how it all works since they messed it up with the Nexus 7 tablet, but they didn't sell that and they do sell the iPad, so...

melon cat posted:

The only time I'd put video on it is when we're travelling and need some entertainment while waiting between flights. I'd also use it as an emulating device and ebook reader for when we're on the road, commuting, etc. Would 32GB still be sufficient?

\/Mainly SNES/PSX games.

Are you sure the emulators you want exist? I thought the Apple App Store rules prohibited emulators and interpretive languages, and there isn't a jailbreak for iOS 7 yet to let you use any other App Stores that I'm aware of. They do sneak on the official App Store occasionally hidden inside another app, but Apple pulls them when they find out.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

tonic posted:

Supposedly Verizon may refuse to activate a non Verizon device, even though they are all technically the same model. Not sure if this is true or not, or how Verizon would even determine this, but I ordered the Verizon model just in case. Seems like you could always just activate some other Verizon tablet and then swap the SIM into the retina Mini though?

The way it used to work with CDMA/3G is that the IMEI/MEID is used for authenticating access to the network, not a SIM card. Verizon had a list of the ones assigned by/for them, and refused to activate any devices that wasn't on that list. With LTE access is granted by the SIM card, but there still needs to be the ability to fall back to CDMA/3G if LTE isn't available. I don't know if that's included on the SIM card now or is baked into the device like it used to be.

In any case, as part of the Open Access requirements Verizon agreed to as part of their winning the 700Mhz spectrum auction, they shouldn't be able to block any LTE devices, but that isn't helping Nexus 7 owners. Although the fact that Verizon does sell the iPad means they can't use the certification argument for it.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

101 posted:

So before I go in and embarrass myself:

You can go into an Apple Store (UK) within 14 days of buying the product and get a full refund?

Yes. http://store.apple.com/uk/help/returns_refund

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Xabi posted:

e: "14 day return policy."
Doh! That was today.

14 days is their normal return policy. I think you should be covered by their holiday return policy which is basically January.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

smackfu posted:

Does Apple even have different SKUs for the different carriers? It just seems odd that they would be providing Verizon with a whitelist of iPads they sold with a Verizon SIM, just so that Verizon make the device less useful.

Or is this all just internet rumor crap?

Same hardware now, but different SKUs to determine which SIM card is preinstalled in the iPad.

Not sure if anyone's tested moving to Verizon from another carrier with an LTE iPad and reported back here, but we do know what their policy was pre-LTE with Sprint CDMA phones they wouldn't activate. And with the open access conditions on the LTE bands they won the auction for, they shouldn't have an issue with devices from other carriers moving to their network, but that doesn't seem to have stop them from making it painful to put the Nexus 7 on their network.

Don Tacorleone posted:

I'd like to use iCloud to backup my iPad but I have a shitload of Garageband files that make me go a few gigabytes over the limit.

If I disable Garageband from iCloud backup, would my files still get backed up when I plug it into my Mac?

Think you can only set up one automatic backup, iCloud or iTunes. You can still back up manually to the other, but it won't happen every time you plug in.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

DarkJC posted:

In my experience they're just as sturdy as the old covers. I don't really use it for the cover so much as a flexible stand that easily stays with the iPad, and for that it's just as good as the old ones were.

In comparison to the old covers the prices are pretty much the same anyway. If you were happy with the old one you'll probably be fine with the new one.

I like the new smart case, but it's no where near as good a stand as the old 4-fold smart cover. When you made the triangle it stayed in that shape. I've had the 3-fold cover fall apart on me when it gets moved around much at all (including light turbulence on an airplane).

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

DarkJC posted:

I fold it felt side outwards, and when in that position it seems just as strong as the 4-fold cover.

Pretty sure I'm not folding it wrong and am doing felt out (would be happy to hear otherwise), but the short end flap that actually supports the back of the case doesn't have a strong magnetic hold and breaks free too easily for me. Not saying it's general a decent hold (and I love the case weight and protection) but the 4-fold cover almost never fell over on me and this one does occasionally.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

eddiewalker posted:

How are the Amazon Basics lightning cables? I've been thinking about getting the 6ft amazon cable to keep in my work luggage, but maybe a cheap genuine one and a slim USB extension would be better.

Had to send one back because the shielding started to get exposed. Amazon was great shipping out a replacement overnight although for the price it almost made more sense to throw out and buy another rather than deal with the hassle of returning. Decent cable, although it's bigger in every sense (both connectors and the cable is thicker) than Apple's cable. The thicker cable is a bit of a pain in that it is less willing to bend than Apple's cable which makes it slightly awkward to use like I do to charge in bed while using the iPad.

On the other hand, it's hard to argue with a cheap 6ft cable that works.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

roofus619 posted:

An Apple device is covered by 1 year of standard AppleCare, regardless of where it was purchased. However, AppleCare does not cover accidental damage for that, you would need to get AppleCare+, which I believe needs to be purchased directly from Apple at time of purchase.

1 year of hardware warranty, not 1 year of Applecare. Applecare includes phone support in addition to the hardware warranty, and on a new device where you haven't purchased Applecare that's limited to 90 days. Buying an Applecare plan extends both the warranty and the phone support to 2 years. And the warranty is the same whether bought at Best Buy or Apple as Digital Jesus said.

You can buy an Applecare+ plan on an iPad bought at Best Buy no problem, just need to bring the device in to an Apple Store for inspection or apparently run an app that validates the iPad in working over the phone within 30 days. You may be able to get Applecare non-plus after 30 days but I can't find any info on it.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

DarkJC posted:

The benefits of a cellular iPad are primarily that you don't need your phone on you, you aren't using up the battery of your phone to get data, and you aren't using up your phone's data plan. If these aren't a big deal to your then a cellular iPad isn't necessary.

The non-cellular iPad also doesn't have a built-in GPS. Probably only a small subset of user care, but it is another difference.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

The Dave posted:

I imagine full brightness is pretty drat taxing.

I don't think full brightness alone would do that, maybe full brightness and something cpu/gpu taxing. At least, not with the iPad charger. Are you using the iPad charger retpocileh (vs an iPhone charger/third party charger)?

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Venkmanologist posted:

I just bought a iPad mini Retina because Staples was selling them for $100 off. I am having a ridiculous problem and don't know what to do to fix it.

Going to guess you have a bad iPad. Take it back to Staples and swap it. Or take it to the Apple Store and swap it. Or call Apple and arrange to do a RMA.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Martytoof posted:

I actually would be surprised because then it would be viable competition for a Surface note taker. I mean viable in a really loose sense since there's probably not that much overlap between an iPad and a Surface in terms of end users, but I wouldn't put it past Microsoft to just give the Mac side the "bare minimum" OneNote experience and save the great stylus experience for their Windows users.

And since MS dumped Wacom on the Surface 3 I doubt they're going to do much to help integrate their API into a one-off app for iPad.

Just my two cents, of course.

You mean the Microsoft that has released Office for the iPad but not for Metro? The software side cares about getting their software out a lot more than supporting MS hardware sales.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

XyrlocShammypants posted:

Wait until you get your first amber alert

Do iPads even do this, or is it just phones? I have the cellular version of the iPad and I don't think it has ever gone off for the weather alerts I occasionally get (Amber Alerts got turned off right after the first one). Think having my iPad go off as well as my personal iPhone and my work iPhone might be enough to push me over the edge...

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Solly posted:

Bought it in the US and live in the UK, don't know how well the returning it thing would play out. I'll probably just put up with it because nothing I own ever works right.

Is this code for "It's actually a stolen iPad where the serial numbers have been reported to the police" since Apple is, last I check, also doing business in the UK...

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

fleshweasel posted:

I get this keyboard fuckup pretty often. Maybe it comes from using the app in one orientation, leaving, then coming back in another orientation?

Probably a better question for Pokeyman in the Awful thread, but I think he's aware of the issue with the split iPad keyboard. Suspect he may not want to think about keyboards for a few more weeks after the 5 or 6 rejections he had getting a SA smilies keyboard past Apple review.

pokeyman posted:

I will instead perform a reenactment.

:sonia:
:gooncamp:
:goatsecx:
:flaccid:
:dong:
:ccb:
:flashfap:
:jackbud:
:regd05:
:shlick:
:newfap:
:huh:
:hawaaaafap:
:gizz:
:fh:
:fap:
:circlefap:
:bahgawd:
:a2m:

edit: and now that I'm caught up on the Awful thread I see you already posted there. durr.

fordan fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Nov 29, 2014

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Aphrodite posted:

I don't think it's really worth a 1 generation upgrade in the middle of that generation.

Except the benefits of Air to Air 2 isn't the primary reason he's upgrading because he ran out of space and is looking for additional reasons to help justify the purchase. If he's lived with it for a while personally I'd see if I could make it to the next iPad refresh, but I would totally understand upgrading now to be able to get more stuff on the iPad.

Awful App isn't a bad idea since it's a bit of a resource hog than Safari (I think).

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

fleshweasel posted:

How do I get iTunes to never download the apps that I've downloaded to my iOS devices, ever? There is no reason I would ever want such a thing. It just wastes the space on my SSD.

There's a preference to change this behavior in iTunes. (Also whether to auto download music or other store purchases)

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Flameingblack posted:

I have an iPad 30 pin model that's locked out and since it was never connected to the cloud, the option to factory restore is the absolute last resort. Are there programs or hacks or bypasses to unlock an iPad without doing a factory restore? I've been googling and I've found nothing useful so far.

Even a factory restore might not help you if the iPad was running iOS 7 (or newer) and you don't have access to the Apple account the iPad was associated with. Activation Lock would block you from using it after the reset.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Europeans are also complaining in the iPhone thread. The US dollar is doing well right now and Apple uses the US price to set prices in other currencies.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

I would need to hold a Pro before making a decision to upgrade from an Air 1; specs are awesome, but how much does the extra size and weight impact holdability? It might be what gets me to use two iPads; the Pro for when I'm mostly stationary like when on an airliner or in bed or a hotel room, and a mini to carry around.

But none of them have 3D Touch, so buy now or wait?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

As a Surface Pro 3 owner in addition to an iPad Air, yes to most of the above. It's a compromise device. It's a well-made compromise device, and useful for people who need to run Windows applications in a small form factor, but it is a much worse tablet than an iPad, especially with the "non-touchiness" of Windows 10 and lack of apps, and not quite as good for "normal" Windows as a dedicated laptop without the compromise keyboard (hoping the Surface Pro 4 one they announced would work with the Pro 3 is better) and cooling challenges the SP3 faces.