Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spaced ninja
Apr 10, 2009

Toilet Rascal

Odddzy posted:

I looked around but didn't find the appropriate thread for this question so here goes.

My Ipod got stolen and I was wondering if there was a way with an ipad that's associated to the same account to lock it or something. I changed my passwords and stuff but didn't have a tracker app on it at the time.

You don't need to have Find my iPhone installed on the iPod only to have the service enabled in the iCloud settings. If it was enabled you should be able to head over to iCloud.com and check the find my iPhone icon. If you didn't have the service enabled you are kinda screwed, sorry.

Good luck, hope you get your device back. My niece had her's stolen a while back and since they couldn't get past the passcode lock they just decided to toss it on the ground a few times. Luckily not only did she get it back but a quick trip to the Apple Store and they replaced it for free because I got a really cool genius.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spaced ninja
Apr 10, 2009

Toilet Rascal
Curious if anyone else has had this happen, I have an appointment tomorrow but figured I'd check just to get a heads up. I bought a iPad back in April of 2012, I returned it due to a dead pixel and got AppleCare+ on the iPad at the same time. It appears that they used my original iPad's serial for the AppleCare+ contract. So when I look up my current iPad is shows no coverage. I still have all the paperwork with the original serial number on them but I'm just curious if they are going to honor this or if I'm just hosed and will have to pay the $250 to get a new iPad. I attempted to call apple support but they want $20 just to answer a question.

spaced ninja
Apr 10, 2009

Toilet Rascal

DarkJC posted:

What happens if you use the system level AirPlay mirroring? Or does that just not work when an app has disallowed AirPlay as well?

This actually works but you get a really really lovely picture. On my 42" you just get a small screen in the center surrounded by giant black bars. It works if you can't get anything else but certainly not an ideal situation.

Also the Sunday Ticket thing is one stream per login. So if you are logged in on your iPad you can not watch from a web browser or iPhone at the same time.

spaced ninja
Apr 10, 2009

Toilet Rascal
Anyone pick up the new adonit jot script stylus? Considering finally replacing my bamboo stylus but all the videos make it sound really really loud which I think I would find really annoying while taking notes in meetings. I also really like the pogo connect but doesn't look like it is compatible with the Air.

spaced ninja
Apr 10, 2009

Toilet Rascal

japtor posted:

One thing I'm wondering about is the parallax effect (as has been dubbed by some sites at least) where there's a disconnect between where the tip is touching vs where it's recognized on screen. Hopefully the new iPads have laminated glass like the iPhones to help reduce this, but until then Adonit has been getting around it with a little offset in their API. Not sure if Wacom has something similar, but I'm more curious how they compare with non aware apps if you have any in your workflow.

And other than price difference I think the size might be a factor for me, I remember some reviews saying the Adonit one felt a bit chunky. The Wacom is only like 1mm less but that might be a noticeable difference in hand cause I'm used to thinner pens/pencils to begin with, just noticed even the nib is thinner too. They also charge with a standard micro USB port on the stylus vs the little extra doodads you need with the Adonit and Adobe ones.

They haven't released one for Metro yet? :psyduck: I forgot about the lack of touch Office on Windows and that the Mac/iOS team was separate, I guess I'm just used to the latter being way behind.

I recently picked up the new adonit pen. It is a slight bit chunkier than a standard pen but it still feels pretty nice. The offset thing is true and is really terrible IMO. In most apps that support the pen you have to set your wrist position. As long as you always write in this EXACT position you'll be fine. But the effect is really noticeable if you change angles at all. I stopped using the pen and went back to my old wacom bamboo.

Chances are I'll pick up the new wacom pen as well, I'm a nerd for styluses I guess. But I honestly don't have much hope for it.

EDIT: I will add I mostly use the pen for taking notes, but it seems to work better in the adobe apps for drawing. Adobe line is pretty awesome.

spaced ninja fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Sep 5, 2014

spaced ninja
Apr 10, 2009

Toilet Rascal

TheQat posted:

Is there any consensus on the best iPad stylus at the moment? Preferably with a fine-ish point, no disc like some Adonit ones have

I have the adonit pixel point touch and it sucks. It's loud on the screen, and has a weird parallax effect where the ink never ends up where I want it unless i'm holding it at some predefined angle to the screen. I have since switched back to my wacom bamboo stylus (squishy tip one).

I've been meaning to check out the new wacom stylus as I hear they have some stuff that combats the parallax effect somewhat but just can't justify another 100 bucks on a new stylus.

spaced ninja
Apr 10, 2009

Toilet Rascal

japtor posted:

I thought there was something for insert space, vaguely recalling some youtube videos I saw on it a few weeks ago. Might be a new line thing too for all I know.

Draw a quick line up or down in the line of text to add or remove a space. Unaware of a new line yet.

spaced ninja
Apr 10, 2009

Toilet Rascal

Xabi posted:

My iPad Pro is often losing its WiFi connection. It happens every day, usually only for a few seconds, and until the pandemic I could sort of accept it. However, now I’m using the iPad quite often for Zoom calls and I will suddenly disconnect because the WiFi connection is lost.

When I google it it seems to be a fairly common problem. However, it will probably be difficult for them to recreate the problem if I hand it in for an inspection (and because of the pandemic the whole operation would be a bit of a hassle): Is there any hope or do I just have to live with it? I’ve reset everything including the router multiple times and the iPad is the only device with this problem.

Can you check the console log hooked up to a Mac? I had something similar happening on my iPad but it only happened while my laptop was backing up over WiFi at the same time.

spaced ninja
Apr 10, 2009

Toilet Rascal

Dugong posted:

Have we heard anything about timings for possible refreshes this year? My 1st gen pro is starting to feel a bit tired but I’m in no rush to upgrade.

Looks like March.

https://www.macrumors.com/2021/01/07/new-ipad-pro-march-launch/

spaced ninja
Apr 10, 2009

Toilet Rascal
I’d stay away for now. Multitasking was a hot mess in the last build, constantly causing springboard to restart. Doesn’t seem fixed in latest build either. Private relay seems to cause some sites (gmail) to just not work.

spaced ninja
Apr 10, 2009

Toilet Rascal

priznat posted:

Are the icloud type things like the disposable emails enabled yet or is that going to be later?

It is all in and works fairly well, as mentioned I have had a few random issues with private relay but 90% of the time it has worked great.

spaced ninja
Apr 10, 2009

Toilet Rascal
Guessing if there is a monetary limit it’s ~100, I had to snag an employee to buy a HomePod mini and they are just out.

spaced ninja
Apr 10, 2009

Toilet Rascal
Rumors seem to be we’ll get a refresh, possibly just shoving a m2 in the current pros, but no redesign this year. Also an October event seems unlikely so they will probably just show up with a press release in the next 1-2 months.

spaced ninja
Apr 10, 2009

Toilet Rascal
Anyone else getting some really weird issues when trying to share via messages with stage manager on?

It’s been like this for all of iPadOS 16, curious if it’s a known issue or I should do a restore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spaced ninja
Apr 10, 2009

Toilet Rascal

spaced ninja posted:

Anyone else getting some really weird issues when trying to share via messages with stage manager on?

It’s been like this for all of iPadOS 16, curious if it’s a known issue or I should do a restore.

This is still broken in latest beta. I had to install it to know this because there are absolutely no release notes. I really wanna like stage manager but 16 has been a horrible mess and I hate it.