Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I don't use the secondary numbers/symbols keyboard that much anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

shrike82 posted:

what's the impact of the different ram sizes on day-to-day use?

More is always better but not much.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I still don't own a single USB-C device

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I don't really want touch and conventional interfaces to merge. They're good for different things.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

How would Xcode on the iPad work exactly? I mean, you'd presumably want to be able to run code on your iPad which is something Apple has been very skittish about on iOS devices in the past.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Last Chance posted:

shouldn't be much different than the current process of developing iOS apps and testing them on real hardware, unless I'm misunderstanding the question

I'm not real familiar with how that works, would you need an Apple developer account to do that, or is there some provision for running your own apps on iOS if you have a Mac?

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Jose Oquendo posted:

Does Chrome run that poorly on iOS? From what I understand, it's webkit based so it's essentially a re-skinned Safari.

All browsers on iOS are basically reskinned Safari. None of them are quite as fast as Safari though, due to Apple restictions on the Javascript engine.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

It's a mess, they should have just discontinued Apple Pencil 1 and had Apple Pencil 2 work with all iPads going forward.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

It's kinda weird we went to 16:9 displays on computers. It's not really a huge benefit to have a little extra horizontal space for the majority of things computers are used for.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

That's what people originally though the iPad was going to be. Instead it was a really big iPhone that gradually became what it is today.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Remember when so many people were submitting fart apps Apple had to put the kibosh on it

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I don’t get people who consider the iPad a full computer replacement. I have to imagine their workflows are very simplistic and/or completely cloud-based

Just working with files and moving them around is a pain on an iPad, and a Mac or Windows PC is so much better for that.

I can only imagine they have a keyboard case or something because typing more than a sentence or two on a non-tactile keyboard is very annoying for me.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

disaster pastor posted:

Posting from it now, in fact!

Is there a better source for these than loving around and finding out?

There are iPhone/iPad manuals on the Apple Books app that not a lot of people know about. They're free, pretty extensive, and they keep them reasonably up-to-date.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

People have been speculating about this since the iPad first became a thing but it has yet to materialize.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

The thing that annoys me is that if you don't use your device for a day or two you have to use the passcode to turn touchid back on. Just let me use one or the other all the time without locking me out of other poo poo.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Social Animal posted:

I want to sell my iPad Air and Magic Keyboard. Anything I should know or do before I post on craigslist?

Factory reset and turn off Find my iPad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

If you have a Best Buy in your area the 10th generation base iPad is on sale for $350. A lot of people say it's better to get the 9th generation that Apple is still selling but the 10th will probably get an additional year of updates, plus the 10th generation has the updated form factor of the more expensive models.