Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

JazzFlight posted:

Do they just dump that poo poo in a landfill or what?

Yeah, probably write it off on their taxes too. There's a lot of incentive to produce speculative cases, if you get it right and your the only one in stores on launch day you can print money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

echobucket posted:

OH geez. I thought iOS 7 couldn't get uglier. I was wrong :psypop:

Looks fine to me. :shrug:

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Protocol7 posted:

It asks to login to the Apple ID used to activate the iPad, presumably as an anti-theft measure. I want to know if logging into your own account after you login to the Apple ID will transfer the ownership, so to speak, so if I have to reset my new iPad in the future it won't have to be logged into his account.

Was iOS 7 ever installed on this device? Activation Lock hasn't been added to 6 IIRC.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Protocol7 posted:

Actually, yeah. I reflashed it to 6.1.3. Didn't think the recipient wanted to fight the beta.

Ah, then what you'll have to do is put it back on and disable activation lock when you erase all contents and settings, then you can do a DFU or iTunes restore.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Endless Mike posted:

They didn't for the 5s until a few weeks out, I doubt they will for the new iPads.

That's what I thought too but the Apple Store seems to say otherwise.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Nihiliste posted:

Word is that Apple will be doing Personal Pickup for the Air starting on the 1st. Presumably there's a good chance that if I place an online order the moment that becomes available, I can pick up my iPad the same day?

I'm hoping so. I'm going to be two hours from the nearest Apple Store on the 1st so it would be nice not to have to leave the hotel the night before.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Japtor posted:

I didn't try myself but supposedly you can use the Target gift card to buy the regular credit card ones.

I'm pretty sure you can't do this anymore. I was in line behind someone buying a Visa gift card the other day and when the cashier rung it up the screen flashed something like "Item cannot be purchased with Target gift card" and she had to acknowledge it before she could ring anything else up.

Gynocentric Regime fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Nov 5, 2013

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Isn't it $90 now?

$79

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747
Maybe a little off topic, but has anyone heard of any MFi controllers that are compatible with the iPad? I'm using the Moga Ace on my iPhone but I'd love to play games like Oceanhorn on a bigger screen.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Nut Bunnies posted:

Do you have an Apple Store near you? Make an appointment at the Genius Bar and bring the original receipt. They may be able to remove the lock.

Nope. Apple has no way to remove the lock other than replacing the logic board, and believe me I've tried; you'll have to have the user remove it from their account or write it off/sell it for parts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Martytoof posted:

Are there any decent 3rd party right angle lightning connectors? My iPad is probably going to sit on my nightstand in landscape mode when I'm not using it, and having that cable just sticking out to the right is annoying. If I could get something that would at least come out right and immediately run down the side of the iPad that would be preferable.

These are the ones we use on the iPad cart at work, the connector is pretty solid and it's $4 less than the official cable.

http://www.lilitab.com/products/right-angle-lighting-cable