Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
what's the point of the ipad air? i've been thinking about getting my first ipad (really pissed i missed the $250 10.2 sale :(), but i've seen a few reviews be like "well the air has a better screen and processor so you might want to save up for it." is that really the only difference? it just seems like the most pointless product, being up to twice the price for... what, better performance for a handful of apple arcade games? it still only has first-gen pencil support, no magic keyboard support, and anyone who wants a productivity tablet would just get a pro so i really don't get the point

anyways, assuming i get the 10.2, how bad is that first-gen pencil for doodling and note taking? i'm absolutely not an artist and just want a blank canvas for doing the occasional scribbling on. i have a few friends who use ipad pros who are like "oh yeah the first-gen pencil is trash compared to this you should save up," and there's zero loving chance i'm going to drop $500 more on a tablet just for a nicer pencil, especially when my main use case for this thing is "a screen to watch netflix on while i am working on my laptop, and also sometimes used to look at recipes in the kitchen." the last time i actually used a stylus of any sort was a nintendo ds, so i have no idea what my expectations should be, is it relatively easy to do "normal" hand-writing with or do you have to write like you're on a whiteboard?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

sourdough posted:

I don’t use a stylus, where I hear the laminated screen does definitely make a difference

this is interesting, I've actually been trying to Google whether there's any significant difference in the drawing experience between the Air and the 10.2, but most articles just talk about the slight screen size. probably not worth the extra money to go from a discounted 10.2" ($250-300) to a refurb Air ($420) even if there is, I guess

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

the apple pencil seems to be like a week backordered from apple and up to a month backordered on other sites so i suppose i have evaded this impulse purchase for now. took a brief look at the logitech crayon but it seems like it's not worth the tradeoffs unless it drops below at least $50

will still keep an eye out for any $250 ipad drops over this weekend, since i still have use cases beyond drawing anyways, but i suspect last weekend's sale (and everyone matching it) kinda cleaned out inventory for a bit given the current situation...

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

twelve hours have passed and the pencil is back in stock at best buy so i'm back on my bullshit

one more thing i've had trouble googling, because the internet is a loving nightmare of "top X thing" sites that have never once actually used a product they're writing about : what's a good stand or case with kickstand for propping up an ipad (10.2) on my bed? like i just need a kickstand that is wide and sturdy so it doesn't fall over on an uneven or wobbly surface. i see all the keyboard cases have a stand like that but i'm a bit unclear if you can use those stands without the keyboard

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

i ended up going with this cheapo case my friend vouched for as something flat and long enough to stand up in bed

went ahead and ordered an ipad since it's down to $280 on amazon and i want it soon and do not want to deal with a run on stocks over memorial day. ordered the pencil from best buy as well which will get here tomorrow so i have something to stare at wistfully while waiting

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

japtor posted:

*This reminds me that I had a knockoff Pencil shaped stylus (with active small tip). It actually worked ok, but being a regular stylus it had the obvious issues that’d come with that. I think there’s newer knockoffs that are actual Pencil knockoffs capability wise, but at least at the time they were about the same price as the Crayon so I never bothered. There’s YouTube reviews and stuff though.

I read about this a bit, but one of the weird things with those newer styluses is that they require custom per-app support for things like pressure sensitivity. i was looking at adonit's lineup but the compatibility pages scared me away

it seems like the one advantage with the adonit is that if you do use an app that supports their shortcuts thing, you could use that like you would the double tap on the pencil 2, and i believe it would work with non-pro ipads. again that requires special app compatibility, but it might be tempting?

i just went with the pencil with the knowledge i can probably sell it if i want to try a different one. when they like refresh the ipad in two months with pencil 2 support or whatever it'll probably lose most of its resale value but not all so i'd live

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:negative:

tbf I was right to be concerned about shipping lag since they're already saying they won't ship until 5/27. I'm impatient enough to be okay having paid $30 more for faster arrival

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

drat, why didn't any reviews I saw of the 10.2 iPad mentioned it only has speakers on the bottom of the thing? If I fuckin watch something in landscape mode it all goes in one ear, which is incredibly obnoxious. So much for a media consumption device, this would be a deal breaker if returning things wasn't a pain in the rear end right now

Did the air solve this at least jeez

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

this thing also has no "leave unlocked in my house" mode like Android has so it's super hard to use as a kitchen tablet since touch id won't respond to wet fingers

options are to turn off passcodes and touchid, which disables apple pay and makes it impossible to use touchid for like 1password unlocks, or to just leave the screen on never sleep mode, gah

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

oh my God you also can't have more than one loving timer at on this thing out of the box

I will never complain about Android software quirks again good lord

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

withak posted:

You can have as many timers as you want, only one per device tho.

I assume this is also how I would get stereo sound

I got some $3 multi timer app and I guess there's some weird way with this shortcuts poo poo to use it with Siri

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

just assuming the answer is no here, but is there any way for this home screen widget thing to just persistently show the same global audio controls on the lock screen and in the control center? I tried just enabling the Pocket Casts widget but it just shows you the logo of the playing podcast with no control, and Spotify doesn't even have a widget

the amount of low hanging ux fruit here is really funny to me, like a decade into this tablet stuff and several years into "the iPad as a thousand dollar productivity machine." I'm not really angry enough to return it (yet), it's just really frustrating, and a real bummer to see all these issues when I've been thinking I might be returning to iPhone in a year or two

good call on using multiple alarms, though having to delete them after every use is gonna be annoying. This Timer+ app does have a little home screen widget so I'm gonna try using that I think, not much more work than yelling at my tablet (especially because "Hey Siri" doesn't work when I'm playing audio out of the iPad at any volume anyways)

e: also discovered that if you enable a passcode and touchid but disable touch id for unlocking, then you can set up the iPad to only require a passcode after 4 hours, getting me back to my goal of instant unlock since this thing isn't leaving my house. Would love to leave Touch ID enabled for those 4 hour unlocks and have no idea why I can't

abraham linksys fucked around with this message at 21:09 on May 25, 2020

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

so half the reason I got this Pencil was because I thought it would be fun to, like, handwrite notes while reading something in Safari and be able to use some kind of handwriting conversion to get it into text

this has mostly been okay, but I'm annoyed that I cannot find a single note taking app with handwriting support (or just free-drawing support with no text conversion) that can also handle the concept of "inserting a link to a web page." the only one i can find is, of all things, the actual Apple Notes app, and I guess I can just keep using that, but it doesn't have handwriting recognition and its drawing support is pretty limited. really flummoxed that something like Nebo doesn't have that since it seems like such an obvious feature (you can highlight individual handwritten words and, like, make them "bold;" why the gently caress can't you just add a link? gah)

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

I get that but I also thought that by 2020 I could expect a note taking application to support the hot new technology of hyperlinks, and really did not think to look for that specifically when researching what apps people liked

OneNote seems okay though. Maybe if I could use my iPad for just reading and sketching notes and then type them up on my Mac it’d be an ok workflow? Maybe I should just be using Apple Notes at that point. Heck I use Notion for my computer note taking so I guess if I could export sketches to images and then import that into Notion that could be okay

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

The Dave posted:

So One Note actually has ink to text...

...only on windows.

microsoft truly getting the last laugh on me here considering that this entire tablet rabbit hole started with me thinking about getting a Surface Go and then being disappointed by the price/performance situation

oh poo poo onenote totally updates in real time on my mac when i write on my ipad though that's pretty baller

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

if I get a USB charger beefier than this 12W one the iPad 10.2 comes with, will it charge faster? i've been spoiled by USB-C and don't expect miracles but it seems like this thing takes 6+ hours to charge while in use, and of course the Lightning cable that comes with it is like 3 feet long so I can't easily keep it plugged in while using it. it also charges hilariously slow when plugged into my Macbook with a USB A->C adapter, to the point I'm surprised it even bothers showing the charge icon (and, to be fair, I get that tablet batteries are way bigger than phones and this is basically like if you plugged a laptop into another laptop to charge)

that said, positives?:

* it has served me well today in taking Zoom calls, so maybe I will convince my work to pay for part of it
* I like that with the Firefox app I can toss a tab from my laptop to my iPad or back very easily. plus it has a widget for opening a new tab from the home screen, which is nice because the Spotlight search only opens tabs in Safari, because of course it does. I suppose Apple has sidestepped the BBQ default browser issue with vendor lock-in
* the Apple Arcade games I've played so far are fun and while I think most are either on Switch or coming soon, at least it's way cheaper to play them here. apparently you can just loving connect a Dual Shock 4 to an iPad now which is the most pragmatic thing I have ever seen Apple do, after years of failing to convince anyone to buy a tablet-specific controller because who the gently caress would do that. I dunno if I can then like AirPlay from my iPad to my Macbook so I can play it on a larger monitor? I assume this would not support Chromecast for playing on a TV, and no I will not buy an Apple TV

I might buy a Logitech K380 for doing typed notes directly on this iPad; I'm kinda shocked by how universally-liked that keyboard is (sans expected cheap Logitech reliability problems) considering the keys look like garbage, but for $30 it's worth a gamble I guess. there's some neat cheap compact Bluetooth mechanical keyboards out there but they all appear extremely backordered for understandable reasons

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

Ok Comboomer posted:

You can just play Apple Arcade games straight on your MacBook, which also should work ootb with your DualShock 4/Xbone controller.

I think it saves your progress between devices too.

I suppose it says a lot about the state of Mac gaming that at no point in the last year did I ever hear a single person mention that Apple Arcade works on Mac :psyduck:

I guess it's new with Catalina, so maybe it's my fault for not upgrading yet, but eesh. Does it only have games that opted into a Mac release?

also my big problem with Firefox is that they built this separate Firefox Focus app that has adblocking built in, and you can configure Firefox Focus as a content blocker for Safari so Safari has ads blocked, but I can not find anyway to use adblocking in the actual Firefox app. I lived without adblock on mobile but now that I'm seeing desktop sites with way bigger ads on iPad it's way more annoying

abraham linksys fucked around with this message at 22:02 on May 26, 2020

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

Cough Drop The Beat posted:

The 2019 iPad charges at up to 30W and you will see a huge difference. I use a RAVPower 30W USB-C PD charger and it charges my 10.5" iPad Pro in no time. https://amazon.com/dp/B07GNHJN9H/

well, I assume the 10.2 iPad isn't going to support USB-C PD because the 10.2 iPad is... not USB-C? or is it able to do fast charges via a USB-C to lightning cable?

the cable/adapter that ships with the iPad 10.2 is lightning to USB-A, because of course it is, so I also have to factor in another $20 for lightning to USB-C :shepface:

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

the nice thing about the tablet fad completely dissipating is that the scourge of idiots at concerts holding up tablets to take videos has been vanquished. with this being the case i suspect most people really don't need a rear facing camera on their tablet anymore

of course now it's idiots holding up 6.6" phones that are just annoying, but still

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

will say i actually laughed out loud when i plugged my ipad into my mac for the first time and itunes opened automatically

easy to turn off but what a strangely anachronistic thing in 2020. who is using desktop itunes sync? why does any of that functionality still exist in desktop itunes? even the actual music management part seems odd when they could just move it all to the cloud now (which i guess they did with itunes match, but even that's weird since they might as well just do direct mp3 uploads at this point, space is cheap)

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

the gmail app has a custom “what browser do you want to open this link in” pop up

it only lists safari or chrome

I hate every tech company

Is there any way I’m missing to easily open a link from desktop Firefox on my iPad using safari? I don’t give a poo poo about using Firefox on iOS other than being able to open tabs from desktop (and the other way around). I assume by now someone’s tried and failed to reverse engineer iCloud tabs or whatever

maybe like if there was some iOS app that i could "share to" from iOS safari that would then send it to some list I could view on desktop Firefox, and then provide a list of my Firefox pages when opened on iOS that I could open in Safari, that would work? but I'm guessing Apple would reject that because it's duplicating existing functionality or whatever the gently caress

abraham linksys fucked around with this message at 17:07 on May 27, 2020

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

Endless Mike posted:

Agreed. It is weird and anachronistic to be using a Mac with iTunes in 2020.

o/t for this thread but I'm waiting to upgrade to Catalina until whatever the hell is going on with unsigned binary startup performance is fixed https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=23273247

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

oh, holy poo poo, you can use AirDrop to send tabs between devices. it's kind of slow, requires Bluetooth to be on, and makes an absolutely terrible notification sound (real desktop Linux-rear end noises), but at least here in 2020 I have finally found a use for AirDrop! this also won't work for my Windows box I guess, and will make it more annoying if anyone ever releases a Windows laptop good enough for me to switch away from Mac, but it's a decent fix for now

Jose Oquendo posted:

Apple isn't going to fix this, as it's a feature, not a bug. That's on whoever is making these to sign them.

the long latency of the check is most definitely a bug, the check itself i am okay with on a "well all computing is hosed already anyways, this isn't so bad" level

abraham linksys fucked around with this message at 17:50 on May 27, 2020

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

Last Chance posted:

Do you mean Continuity?

no, I mean Airdrop. You can use Airdrop as a share target for a link (whether sharing from iOS Safari or Mac desktop Firefox), which pops a notification on the receiving device. This opens the link in Safari on iPad, or whatever your default browser is on Mac. for my use case of "I opened a recipe on my laptop and want to throw it to my iPad," it seems to work okay

quote:

Also if you've been signed into iCloud on any iDevice or Mac you can always access open browser tabs on other devices

as far as I can tell this requires me to use Safari on desktop which you could not pay me enough to do

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

The Dave posted:

Please don’t tell me you’re janitoring your Bluetooth in 2020.

I dunno, I don't own any Bluetooth devices I use more than, like, once a week (basically just some living room speakers I throw music on while cleaning), so I've always just left it off in the past. I'm getting a K380 though so I'll probably start leaving it on indefinitely on my Macbook and iPad.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

FCKGW posted:

Why not just use Firefox on iOS?

If iOS 14 lets you set Firefox as a default browser as has apparently been rumored, then sure, I'll do this. As it is now, having every single click in an external app open Safari, and then having to share to Firefox just to open in it in Firefox, is incredibly obnoxious and quickly leads to me losing track of which tabs I've got open in which browser.

BTW, anyone running Catalina: what's your CPU usage like when using Sidecar? Duet is okay but uses like 10% CPU when idle (and more if I, like, throw a Youtube video over there or something), which is pretty rough. I've got Webpack, IntelliJ, and like five Electron-wrapped apps open and need to hold on to all the resources I can get :v:

I also guess that, according to the docs, if I want to use Sidecar I'm going to have to log into my personal iCloud account on my work Macbook, which... sucks? Is this a weird use case? Why is iCloud even in the mix if I'm using Sidecar over a USB cable? this is like "Animal Crossing only allows one island per Switch" levels of baffling

abraham linksys fucked around with this message at 20:33 on May 27, 2020

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:negative:

i am apparently forever doomed to 12 W charging hell with this particular ipad

e: several reviews and Apple Community posts indicate it "should support fast charging" but I can find no report of someone who owns one of these confirming it, lots of people saying it "doesn't seem to work with their cables," and I'm sure as heck not dropping $20 to $40 on a Lightning to USB-C cable to find out

abraham linksys fucked around with this message at 00:08 on May 28, 2020

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

Last Chance posted:

App Library and always-on homescreen widgets are not a part of iPadOS 14. Guess we learned why they split up iOS and iPadOS lol

sorry, just to be clear, the device with 10 to 13 inches of usable screen space is the one that's not getting homescreen widgets

loving hate this company

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

oh thank loving god they fixed apple music to have a persistent bottom bar player like spotify instead of the terrible weird popup player

i have no idea why this was tied into an os release, but i guess i'll take it. maybe big sur is going to come with a desktop app that doesn't run like total, complete rear end? it's amazing to me how that thing runs worse than the web client does on my windows box

otoh i just tried to open the new "listen now" interface and got an endless loading spinner, and frankly i'm relieved to see that apple continues to be bad at creating software you listen to music in. there should be some constants in this ever-changing world

e: oh my god i forgot the new "music" widget is a completely useless recently played thing instead of being music controls on the home screen like i've wanted since i got this thing. i assume apple wants me to either:

* leave my ipad on locked all the time, making the widgets pointless
* carefully open the notification center every time i want to change my music
* yell at siri every time i want to pause (this is definitely what they think the normal way to do things is, isn't it)

abraham linksys fucked around with this message at 09:32 on Sep 17, 2020

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

apple being incredibly antagonistic towards people trying to launch game streaming services on their storefront, and then having the safari team work directly with amazon so they can avoid the store entirely, is some real loving galaxy brain poo poo

can't help but notice that they have not helped stadia with a similar conundrum

japtor posted:

For input their controller is wifi/online connected to the service rather than to the device. For Xbox Game Pass I guess they're stuck with the App Store BS unless/until Safari gets gamepad support.

ios safari supports the html5 gamepad api but i have no idea if it's actually usable. this is, uh, also something the safari team could help with, were they so inclined

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

Hadlock posted:

I do computer toucher poo poo on my Thinkpad in the house; the 180° true lay flat display hinge is awesome for using on the couch

i'm gonna need some kind of diagram or illustration for this because the only ways i can imagine this all sound dreadful

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

Shaocaholica posted:

Ok I got a pencil in a iPad bundle. How am I supposed to charge this thing realistically? I've got 2 little parts that can easily get lost. What accessory should I buy to charge this thing?

don't you just plug it into the ipad

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

ThermoPhysical posted:

The Magic Keyboard is $100 everywhere... is it REALLY needed?

do you not plan to type a lot on your iPad, or do you already own a bluetooth keyboard? if the answer to either of those is yes, probably not!

I have ESR's case for the base iPad, it's fine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

ThermoPhysical posted:

Oh sweet. Do you use the magnetic one?

I have this one: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07WR9ZMKJ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It has a magnet that keeps the stand together when rolled up and keeps the cover on the iPad when it's closed, works fine. I don't think it has a magnet or space for the Pencil, though (which I ended up not really using anyways, so not a huge deal).