Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Will any iPad with a usb-c port be able to use external storage drives?

e:actually, you can also use lightning adapters?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

the 12.9" iPad pro is out of stock everywhere i checked

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

any recommended non-apple covers/keyboards?

12.9" pro

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

How will it be different? Mostly the cameras?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Is lack of webm support just stubbornness on Apple's part, or is there some semi valid reason?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

I was comparing my monitor to other screens because I was dissatisfied with the image but to my surprise the screenshot I was using looked even worse on my 12.9" iPad Pro. Very bad definition in dark areas. It also looked miles better on my SE. I got my sister to lend me her own Pro for a comparison, and again it looked much much better there. Side to side I'd call the image on my Pro unacceptable. True tone/night shift were set to the same on both.

Is there some kind of recalibration I can do? Is there an accepted tolerance level for screen quality, any chance I could exchange it? I got it as a present a few months ago but only really started using it recently because of some life/covid complications.

Rinkles fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Nov 29, 2020

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Anyone else notice that the screen gradually dims a bit when playing a YouTube video? It goes back up to normal when you pause, and then dims back when resuming.

The only thing I’ve found googling is that the iPad can do this to prevent overheating, but I didn’t think YouTube would be that intensive. This is a 2020 12.9 Pro.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

If I need to get my iPad exchanged because of a faulty screen (separate from my earlier complaint) is there any chance I could get this year’s model? Maybe smaller size to compensate for the price difference. Or is that unlikely?

I’ve never dealt with apple cs before.

Rinkles fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Apr 21, 2021

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Thought so, thanks.

Is the battery on the Pro not so great? My brother always told me he never has to think about the battery on his (he has the smallest non-mini), but on mine I wouldn’t mind having a power saver mode. Also it gets pretty warm even when just using the awful app.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

12.9 is a little heavier than I'd like.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Is there an obvious reason why iPads, afaik, don’t have support for three and four finger gestures?

E:I put that the wrong way, cause apps can surely have those gestures, just surprised there aren’t any on the OS level, but maybe that’s intentional so app makers can use their own.

Rinkles fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Apr 29, 2021

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

hatty posted:

They do I thought? I use the bar at the bottom for this now but you could switch apps and go back to the springboard with three and four finger pinches and swipes.

Oddly that wasn’t in any of the gesture guides I saw.

But mostly I’d love to make custom ones, the way you can with windows precision trackpads.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Last Chance posted:

Yeah, they do have them, and have had them for a pretty long time now…

What’s another one?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Thanks

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Does anyone use and can recommend using their iPad for drawing on their PC?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

MarcusSA posted:

I’ve had the 12.9 since it was first introduced and it’s a pretty awesome size. It’s also deceivingly light which the first gen wasn’t so much.

I can’t wait for this refresh since it’s the second most used device I own.

Apple also has a generous return policy so just get it and see how you like it.

I find the size a little unwieldy in bed. A little too heavy to comfortably hold in one hand if I'm on my side.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Is the M1 chip likely to make the new Pro more than an iterative upgrade over last year's Pro? Like anything besides just being somewhat faster?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

MarcusSA posted:

The M1 is incredibly powerful.

Yeah but I was wondering what it means in practical terms.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

I’m guessing there’s no way to get full screen YouTube embeds when using the Awful app? Besides opening the video in YouTube

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Now that I've gotten used to navigation on the iPad navigation, I miss having those options on my iPhone SE. I sometimes pull up the control center when I want the app view.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

I don’t know how to change to a floating keyboard when using Gboard.

If it’s already floating when switching from the default keyboard, it’ll float as Gboard. But I don’t know how to flip between floating and non floating with just gboard. The normal methods (like pinch) don’t work.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

On iPhone in Chrome there’s a Zoom Text option for changing text size in whatever you’re viewing. I don’t see it on iPad. Does that mean the only way to change text size is via the global system setting (which isn’t what I’d like to use)?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

I've seen their stated reasons, but it's dumb that the ipad doesn't have a calculator (or weather app).

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

I'd like to lend my Pro to my younger brother for him to try out a 2nd gen pencil. I wanna just give him the device for a couple of weeks; let him use it at his leisure. Can I do so without giving him access to my iCloud data (photos, notes, etc.) without signing out of the device?

I don't want to sign out because iirc Apple doesn't like you de-/activating too many devices in a short time span (and I've already had to do so a few times this year).

Rinkles fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Sep 17, 2021

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

So is the lidar used for anything, or did it end up mostly a conference bullet point?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

I'd love that too, but I can see Apple wanting to maintain that segmentation.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Any opinions on keyboard cases?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Arivia posted:

Does tap to click not work?

But yeah, if you have an iPad that fits it the question for a keyboard case is really just "why aren't you buying the magic keyboard folio" (and there are valid answers, including price; you just ask what about the magic keyboard doesn't work for you and then find something that fits that difference instead)

you mean the magic ($350), or the folio ($200)?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Arivia posted:

the magic, sorry. long week. it's an apple laptop keyboard for your ipad, with all the great quality that entails

yeah it looks great. this would be a present, but paying the equivalent of a chromebook just for the case doesn't feel right, at least on my budget.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

the previous gen Magic Keyboard goes on deep discount often and 100% works with the new iPad Pro. I think it’s been as low as $150 this year.

good to know thanks. this would be for a 2020 12.9 Pro.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

tuyop posted:

Gonna get a Brydge one of these days

Huh, those look good and are significantly cheaper than the magic.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

MarcusSA posted:

Fwiw Best Buy has the Magic Keyboard for $199

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/apple-...T&skuId=6340357

Pretty solid deal.

Thanks. I see the latest version is full price. Is there any functional difference between the two, or just shape accommodations for the thicker M1 Pro?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

odd choice to not have tap to click on by default on the magic

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

I guess it’s nice that it’s there but the mouse experience on iPad really isn’t great, is it?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Sometimes you have to simulate your mouse being a finger, sometimes you don't. Idk, maybe I'll get used to it, but it's not an intuitive experience to me.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Any nice looking, free (no ads), full screen clock apps? I'm surprised the stock app doesn't have that mode, unless I missed the option.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Thanks.

Kinda bizarre that Apple's app store has practically no search filtering. There's how many millions of apps now?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

An air might be more comfortable, though. I find the 12.9 more heavy than I'd like for couch/bed use.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

xzzy posted:

Anyone got a favorite cable brand for a nice usb-c to usb-a? I have some no-name one I got off Amazon a long ways back and it doesn't clip properly into my ipad's port, allowing it to fall out if I look at it wrong.

After looking at reviews, starting from the cheapest till I got to Anker, everything seemed to have issues. But the Anker adapter was 5x more expensive, and I didn't need it for anything essential so I went back to the bottom of the barrel option (two for $3).

And they work, but it seems YMMV, and who knows how long they'll function, and I haven't tested speeds thoroughly yet.

These are the cheapo ones I got

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B097518CPS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

sorry