Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

I like the Zagg folio cases because they protect the back and the top can pivot like a laptop hinge. Anyone know if the Air 1 case will fit an Air 2?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

I don’t understand why they moved the time/WiFi on the iPad but not on the non-notched iPhones. Just seems weird.

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

I’m using the mouse on iPad, and liking it a lot, except my scroll wheel is inverted. Is there a way to flip this or is that just the way it’s gonna be?

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

Pretty bummed with ios13 so far. I was doing a simple google search and it froze up my safari browser. This is kind of odd but not that big a deal, so I force closed it. Well it purged all of my open tabs, something that has never happened to me in a decade of iPad ownership. I had some stuff in there I really wanted, so I did an iCloud restore, but that restored everything except my fuckin tabs.

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

mediaphage posted:

There are some bugs. But just to make sure, could it have just opened a new safari window? Imo it’s not obvious when it happens unless you tap the safari dock icon when safari is on the screen.

Edit: oh you did a restore, that almost assuredly cleared them. But there’s still a history somewhere probably, esp if you iCloud keep track of tabs.

The restore was from yesterday’s backup, so I don’t know why I didn’t get my tabs as of yesterday. That’s what happens every other time I restore an apple product.

I’m pretty sure it didn’t open a new window. It froze, I force closed it (using the home button, not a gesture) and then reopened the browser from the home screen with a single tap.

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

I just tried to repeat the process and no way there was multiple windows. When there are multiples, doing the entries I did on-screen pushes away all the other active apps and gives you a presentation of only safari instances. That’s not what I saw before.

I was able to get the iPad to force close all my tabs again, though, just by clicking around normally. It didn’t open a second window, it fully closed my old one and delivered me a blank one as my only active instance. This time I clicked “reopen closed windows” in the top right and my previous instance was still alive there. I guess it would have been there before too, if I hadn’t restored. But it was definitely closed out which is something I did not do, either time.

I still don’t understand why a restore wouldn’t put me back in my browser state from yesterday evening. That’s the whole point of a restore.

Edit - yea, to do a recovery you have to open the app manager, then tap safari again, this shows you any active instances. Then you have to click the little “restore closed windows” in the top right and find what you actually want in there. I am able to repeat this. I have no idea why my primary window is being deposited into this closed window area, or why this status would reach backwards in time to a prior restore point. Oh well, lesson learned I guess.

Edit2 - ok I guess what I did was force close the app intentionally because of the freeze, and then when I opened Safari again, it opened a new window instead of restoring my instance. I get that now. That’s really bad UI design IMO, there should be separate actions for force closing the app and closing one instance of the app. And if there are no active instances, it should restore to your last one instead of giving you a blank slate. At least now I get that. I still feel like a restore should have solved my problem. And if safari tabs are going to be kept in some volatile state outside the normal restore process, then my recently closed windows should be there too! That little area was blank after a restore.

Edit3 - so if I close all instances of safari... if I tap safari from the home screen, it actually does restore my old window. But if I close all instances of safari and then tap safari from the open app carousel, it opens a blank window and deposits my last session into the closed window area. Stupid.

Edit4 - I am actually able to get both the “new window” and “last instance” behavior when tapping safari from the open app carousel after closing all instances of safari. I’m doing exactly the same thing every time and getting both results at about a 70-30 split.

AdmiralViscen fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Oct 2, 2019

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

I do, sometimes.

Like, I want to order some additional school photos for my kid but I don’t need that time-sensitive portal clogging up my bookmarks. But I don’t want to have to go remember to delete it from my bookmarks, either. Maybe I want to do it in a couple of days. It’s kind of what tabs are for.

Tab management kind of sucks in general now. If I want to re-sort a tab it will just turn into this popover thing that floats around on my screen. I know how to turn it into a split view but how do I just make it a tab again? You need to hold the tab for 2 seconds to re-sort it but if you accidentally hold it for 3 seconds then it turns into this other thing.

Edit - Actually I guess this floating thing is invoked by moving your finger a bit too high and dropping the tab onto the upper bar instead of into the tab row? It’s easy to do and I can’t figure out how to put it back. Or even to close it. It seems like I can close it by docking it down at the bottom, going back to the home screen, and clicking safari again? What if I want to open Safari but I don’t want to close it lol. I feel like my grandma.

Oh and messing around with this little pop-over thing, even on a plain google.com window, forces all my tabs to reload even though I have an iPad Pro 10.5. Does anyone have a video that explains what this thing is supposed to be doing for me?

AdmiralViscen fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Oct 2, 2019

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

Also what’s with safari snapping to the bottom of whatever page I was on if I leave the app for a second

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

Yes, that’s right.

After the restore, text message forwarding stopped working correctly also. I am not receiving any SMS texts on my iPad. When i send them from iPad, it says they failed to send on the iPad, but they instantly appear on my phone so they are in fact working. The feature is enabled on my phone also.

What a poo poo experience this has been.

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

SMS randomly started working again with no changes by me.

Anyone else having an issue where gifs and spoiler bars don’t work right? They stay static unless I scroll the screen. So for a spoiler, I have to tap it and then scroll for it to actually reveal. And for gifs, I need to keep wiggling the screen up and down to make it play out like a flip book. This only happens in safari, not discord or iMessage or anything. I’ve tried mobile and desktop view.

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

Will 7th gen iPad 10.2 cases work on the old iPad Pro 10.5?

I’m specifically thinking of the Logitech Slim Folio keyboard. I used this for my Air 2, then they didn’t make one for the 10.5 so I got an Apple Smart Keyboard that I have never really liked, and now I see they are making them for the iPad 10.2.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/logitech-slim-folio-keyboard-case-for-apple-ipad-7th-generation-2019-graphite/6385752.p?skuId=6385752

With the way the world is now I don’t want to mess around with a return so I was hoping I could find some info on it. Most cases on Amazon/YouTube seem to treat the two models as the same, but it looks like the pro is a little bit different in thickness?

Thanks in advance

Edit - actually it looks like Logitech makes a separate case for the air 3, which seems to have identical dimensions to the iPad Pro 10.5?

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/logite...p?skuId=6385753

AdmiralViscen fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Apr 24, 2020

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

I’m experimenting with the mouse on an iPad Pro 10.5 and the scroll wheel behavior is total poo poo. It’s incredibly slow and jittery at best, and at worst does nothing. Dragging with the cursor is an annoying alternative, and that doesn’t even work in Safari since it highlights text Instead in a lot of cases.

Is there some fix for this, or is it just this bad? I tried using an old Samsung mouse and now I’m trying with a new Jelly Comb that seems to be recommended everywhere.

Edit - haha looks like its not just me. Oh well

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

My wife still uses an Air 2

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

I don’t have a 12.9 but I’ve been using the Logitech Slim Folio for several generations and they are great

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

Does iOS 14 offer any improvements for mouse wheel scrolling?

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

AdmiralViscen posted:

Does iOS 14 offer any improvements for mouse wheel scrolling?

Yes, massively

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

Does the 8th gen iPad reuse any older bodies, the way the Air 3 was the former Pro 10.5?

I have keyboards for the Air 2 and a Pro 10.5, any chance they’d be usable on a new 8th gen basic iPad?

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

I’d rather not spend $300 on something to try it

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

Cool, thanks. I tried searching that way on amazon and I was mostly seeing stuff that said iPad 7 or 8 and not including air3/old pro in the lineup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

Same thing happened to my Pro 10.5 a few weeks ago, which is the same body as the iPad Air 3. It didn’t erase my data though, it just wouldn’t stay on for more than a few seconds, and had vertical lines pulsing in from the home button upwards before shutting off

It was 3 years old so I figured I was hosed, was I wrong?