Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

I'm jumping on the Best Buy deal to get a 64GB Air 2 myself.

Does Best Buy give a poo poo if you trade in an iPad with an engraving? I can get $100 from them or so for my 16GB third gen iPad, and honestly I don't think anyone is going to pay more than that on Craigslist since I was stupid and got my name engraved on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

I got the full value of the estimate their site gave me, so don't sweat it if you got an engraving.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

So in Safari I occasionally have pages just replaced by a different website that's clearly shilling poo poo. It tends to happen a few moments after going to the original page, only to be have the bullshit load up and it doesn't even offer the option to go back.

This happens on a lot of pages, so I assume it's something more than just horrible ads. Searching is kinda difficult because I get a lot of hits for ad-free browser apps or "Viruses? iPads don't get viruses." which doesn't help.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Is there any concrete stuff on new iPads in March or just rumors?

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

I don't see why they couldn't just do an iPad presentation in mid/late October like they've done in the past. By the point all the iPhone buzz will have long died down.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

I'll probably get something before then. Old iPad is gone and while March is fine, I think October is just too long of a wait for me.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

I got the 12.9, but will likely return it for a 9.7 Pro. It's just real unwieldy to use, although I adore it for watching media.

Going to play with this weekend and see if I can acclimate first.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Because Google don't want third party apps to be able to play videos in the background as this is a paid feature for YouTube (YouTube red)
Good loving luck. I did a trial of YouTube Red last fall, and it doesn't even do picture in picture. It's literally just the sound, and that's not worth the money.

I have absolutely no idea why YouTube refuses to implement PiP for the app. Twitch has had it for a year or so.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Feeling better about grabbing my Pro now. Going three months without a tablet would have been real obnoxious, especially since I did some traveling last month.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

It's the big german shepherd of tablets

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

The button on my old gen 3 was breaking, so yeah I'd be down for a capactive button

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Getting an iPad this weekend, and debating between the regular and Pro 10.5.

I watch a lot of video on my tablets, so the better screen on the pro is tempting, in addition to the better internals since I don't have a laptop.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

The pro is very good.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

I am baffled as to why Apple stopped making their tablet cases but still make things like $100+ sleeves :psyduck:

As someone who loved the no-frills silicone case on their iPad Air, what's an affordable third-party replacement?

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Ultimate Mango posted:

The top selling ones on Amazon, at least for my 10.5 are a perfect match for the Smart Keyboard color wise and are a nice material. They have one with a built in pencil holder and some with a built in top cover as well. Cheap too, like 15-18 bucks.

What’s cool is even with the back cover and keyboard it STILL fits in the Apple leather sleeve!
You mean this?

May go that route.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

buglord posted:

first world problem but ever since I got my Pro 9.7, my rMBP has been getting very little use. I just wish window management/splitscreen management wasnt such complete garbage on iOS (not that multitasking is much better on macOS). That said, I'm surprised how vintage it feels to work on a laptop after using an ipad for so long.
I miss the old multitasking prior to 11. I liked being able to just swipe down on the secondary window to rapidly switch between apps. Now you got to bring up the dock and gently caress about with dragging.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Anyone have problems with the digital keyboard lately? Sometimes it just straight up ignores when I tap a key, and I have to press it 2-3 times to register. My iPad is only a few months old, so kind of annoying for it to just start happening.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Krispy Wafer posted:

Pretty sure. Went from a 9.7 inch Pro to a 12.9 inch Pro.

Would videos look all weird like soap operas on 120mhz? I always hated that hyper-realism and I've honestly not noticed it when watching movies on the new iPad.
The soap opera effect is a combination of other things like framerate. Refresh rate just makes it look smoother in motion.

Note that not every piece of media will take advantage of it, but it does make the interface a joy to use.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

If you’re patient, wait to see if the new Pros are out. Prices on used may be better.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Think the Mini is effectively dead at this point?

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

I mean, USB-C isn’t an entirely new thing to Apple because Macbooks.

Also, we’d likely get some kind lightning to C adaptor in the box. For now, anyways.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

MarcusSA posted:

What is wrong with the lighting cable?

Like I always see people asking to switch to USB C but I don’t know why. The lightning cable works perfectly and it’s a thinner connector.
Because that’s the standard for modern charging for literally everything else in the mobile world. poo poo, my Nintendo system even charges off it. It’s why people were relieved Apple went with Qi instead of their own weird proprietary thing for wireless: it means you only have to manage one thing for all your devices.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

I wish USB-A (and micro) would die so we can all live in a world of reversible cables.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

I can’t imagine they’d switch to usb-c when they have so many accessories tied up in lightning. It’s not a huge jump for phones, at any rate.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

I think I’m gonna bump up to the 12.9”.

Slave to da fruit stand :negative:

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Duckman2008 posted:

I just realized the iPad thread is relevant again.

$950 for a 64GB 11” cellular iPad is steep. I’m going to get it, but man Apple did not disappoint with the price hike.
Honestly I was not expecting the 12.9" to start anywhere close to 1000. It's surprisingly low for, you know, Apple.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

The old pencils are lightning to charge and the new pros have no such ports. Granted, they could have made it work via dongle.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Boris Galerkin posted:

I'm not getting an iPad Pro but whenever I look at my iPad (2018) I feel so sad. The bezels that were totally fine before now look so bad after using my XS. I'm also finding that I pick up my iPad a lot and just stare at it for a few seconds expecting it to unlock.

That's my story. Sorry I don't have any shipment tracking updates.
The non-laminated screen drives me up the wall, although I imagine most normal, well-adjusted people don’t even notice.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

The Air feels like what you’d expect from a new iPad prior 2017. The 5th and 6th gens are fine, but very much seem like budget iPads given the iterative designs and some corner cutting to keep costs down. So now you have the budget iPad, small iPad, regular iPad, and luxury iPad.

The naming scheme is awful though, not helped by reusing names. Should have refreshed the 6th gen model and called it the iPad Lite or R, and just call the new Air “iPad”.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

japtor posted:

The biggest difference is probably the 2GB vs 1GB RAM. It has another CPU core too...but the iPad mini 4 seems to hold up ok without that.

With the iPad mini being updated the only things left with the A8 are the iPod touch and non 4K Apple TV. Former is rumored to be updated, latter could be due to be killed off or replaced at the media event coming up. I’m guessing A8 support might not have too much life left.
It’s ridiculous they’re still selling the Touch for its price. I’m a tad surprised they’ll keep it going for at least one more generation. Seems like you can just get an older iPhone with no cell plan and have a similar product.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

iPad updates are super erratic with no real pattern the last few generations. If you can wait for 6-7 months for a potential 2019 refresh of the pros then do it.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Yeah, the phones and watches roll out every September like clockwork, but everything else is unreliable.

The 2017 Pro came out in June, wheres 2018 was in November. Not to mention weird one-offs like the 9.7” Pro.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Which is crap because the one my pro 10.5 came with was super long.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Me, sweating and disheveled, returning my 15th iPad: i said STRAIGHT.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

I sacrifice a healthy goat every morning to ensure my iPad maintains its eldritch straightness.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

LODGE NORTH posted:

I like the Logitech Smart Folio, but if they made an Apple Smart Keyboard with a case that wrapped around the iPad like the leather cases on the iPhone, I'd get one.
They used for like, the older Airs, then released the back and cover separately, then stopped making the back cover entirely. It’s maddening.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Krispy Wafer posted:

Weren't iPhone screens only 4 inches when the Mini first came out? They only finally got a phablet with the iPhone 6+ so the Mini was a stopgap until Apple got bigger iPhones. Also Amazon was cleaning everyone's clock for tablets under $300 with their Fires.
More like under $200. Even the big HD Fire is like $150.

They suck for anything outside light gaming and media consumption. Even an ancient iPad 2 feels better to surf on than than the mutant fork of Android they have on those things.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

The 6th Gen got bumped to the 10 as a annual iteration. It is so confusing that the 7 is the same and just...a half-inch bigger and can use the overpriced keyboard case?

It’s just weird.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

iOS is tightly controlled, whereas Android is only going to get that kind of treatment on a Pixel. Everything else has bloatware or some bullshit the phone maker wants to foist on you (Hi, Bixby). Now for some things RAM is kind of non-negotiable, like games or media editing, but for most everyday use you do not need as much RAM in your phone as your PC.

It’s similar to how people balked at the size of the 2018 phone’s batteries, but the XS Max and XR both beat the Note 9 (with and without the resolution bump on the latter). Which is probably why Apple doesn’t give that info out, since battery size isn’t as important as the actual power demands of the components.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Wrong thread