Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Shachi posted:

To be honest, I think $300 for the mini is an adequate price but $400 is a bit high. I'd hate to buy the (old) mini and then kick myself for not dumping the extra $100 but I just don't feel more than $300 is worth paying for any tablet.

Would you pay $100 more for an iPad Air than an iPad 2? Would you pay $100 more for an iPhone 5s than an iPhone 4s? You will kick yourself for not dumping the extra $100.

Shachi posted:

E: To add further complications to my decision I was just pricing some stuff out and realized the loving iPad retina (not air) is the same loving price as the retina mini and the Air is only $50 more. I guess I'm late to the party but that's almost infuriating enough to make me not want either.

Why is that infuriating?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Endless Mike posted:

SwiftKey is the iOS8 predictive keyboard plus swiping. Hopefully the Apple implementation doesn't let them massively change how the keyboard looks, though, because SwiftKey is really, really ugly on Android.

This is true, but you can change the themes at least. The general consensus is if you primarily swipe, Swype is slightly better, and if not, Swiftkey is better. Both can do tapping or swiping, though. Also the Google Keyboard is better than either one, and hopefully Google releases it for iOS!

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

JazzFlight posted:

Yeah, this broke my video-out for a lot of different apps using my analog composite video-out cable.

Strangely (and fortunately enough), the Crunchyroll app still does video-out through the cable.

Is that like a cooking how-to videos app? I have been looking for possible kitchen uses, I might have to give it a try.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
It is running out of electricity

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
I don't have any complaints about the home screen except that I think it makes sense to have an app drawer with everything, then home screen with whatever apps I want for easy access. Android widgets are fine, but not necessary imo, icons are enough, just let them be present or not on the home screen. Not a big deal, though.

I personally think the frosted glass in iOS looks weird and cluttered, though. Why is it useful to see the colors of icons behind the screen I'm actually using? It just makes it look more cluttered and complicated than necessary, when a flat background would be just as good. Obviously just my tastes, but I think it would look a lot better going back to a solid color. That's the only visual thing with iOS that I don't like, as someone with an Android phone and iPad.

sourdough fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Jul 12, 2015

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

fleshweasel posted:

I just don't see how rubbing a rubber dingle on glass can satisfactorily replicate the experience of writing on paper with a pen or pencil. I can see how this is equivalent to the kindle argument "I just don't see how this can replicate the feel of a paper book" but I honestly think that writing on paper is more helpful by virtue of it being paper.

Any disadvantage in it feeling worse is completely made up by the fact that you now have permanent, digital, stored-in-the-cloud, searchable notes, rather than a stack of notebooks. I don't actually write with a stylus so much, but for reading science articles and typing short notes on them, all digital is the only way to go, and I suspect heavy note-takers feel the same. What note-taking I do is all typed in Evernote now, which is also about a million times better than my previous system of writing on random scraps of paper.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
How is the anti-glare on the Air 2? I just bought a used one for enough cheaper than new iPad that I don't really mind even if it's not a big difference, but my main usage is reading on it in brightly lit rooms, so seemed like a no brainer to go for it over the new iPad given the prices.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Buying a 3.5 year old smaller iPad that probably won't see any more updates in order to save $60 seems unwise to me.

They never said what it would cost them, or whether their mom was old or had poor eyesight lol

sourdough fucked around with this message at 20:36 on May 12, 2017

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
Just sell as-is and buy a used replacement iPad

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

I Am Crake posted:

I'm looking at the iPad comparison chart on the Apple website and it's not pretty.

iPad: € 409
10,5 inch iPad Pro: € 739

That's an 81% price difference.

Before the whole Pro lineup buying an iPad meant getting best-in-class tech and design for € 500 (or an identically specced tiny one for € 100 less!). Now I get to choose between the iPad "we put no effort into this at all" for a whole lot of money or the iPad "oh sorry, did you say you wanted a tablet? We thought you said laptop" for the price of a used car.

Really I just want a 10,5" A9 iPad with the new screen and bezels. I already have a MBP so drat the Pro functionality and especially drat putting in 12MP camera's with all sorts of tech wizardry and 4K recording in a device you'll never ever ever use as a camera. Hell I'd even be perfectly happy with having no camera on the back and just a 1080p FaceTime camera on the front if it would shave a couple of bucks off the retail price. All of the cool new software stuff would be work to the walls awesome on a device like this and it would look absolutely fantastic.

Edit- It makes all the business sense in the world and is great for Apple, but horrible for their customers. Thanks Timb.

What? Just buy the cheaper iPad

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Matt Zerella posted:

The screen is perfectly fine for all of those uses and people bitching about the non laminated screens are just sperging.

Sperging more or less than people gushing about 120 hz display?

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
Like, it's competitive with a decent laptop keyboard, or it's better than that godawful first/early Surface keyboard?

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Endless Mike posted:

I assumed he was talking about this atrocity.

I do agree giving it a try before buying, if possible.

Yeah, didn't remember what it was called, but pretty sure that's it. I think the Surface Pro 2 got the first actually usable one? But they still sold some version of that for a bit longer, I think. Anyway, just curious whether it was like leaps and bounds above or just a really good tablet keyboard.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
Get the size you like more

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
Who knows if Apple will refresh it, but there's plenty of difference between an 8" 4:3 iPad Mini and a 5.5" 16:9 iPhone. If I didn't read bigger format things occasionally, I'd much prefer the Mini for being a good deal bigger than a phone but still small enough to comfortably thumb type and just being a little less unwieldy (* than a big iPad, if that wasn't clear).

sourdough fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Jul 20, 2017

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Virtue posted:

Like a dirty table or something that I think might scratch the back. I'm not using my ipad on a bed of nails or anything. So really I just want one of those desk pads you put your keyboard and w/e on except ipad sized. Or an alternative if anyone has any bright ideas. Leaning towards a mouse pad right now.

A...case? Pretty sure they make things that just cover the back of the iPad and don't have a flap or anything covering the screen.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Enemu posted:

OneNote is a bug-riddled confusing catastrophe in my experience. I'm not a power user by any stretch so all the bells and whistles it has are real superfluous, and there are two versions (desktop and UWP) with monstrous sync issues between them even on the same device (I used a SP4). Using the surface pen on the desktop version was laggy and bad, and trying to do anything more than doodle or take hand notes on the UWP version was nigh-impossible, so I had to swap to the desktop version which then wasn't synced at all :confuoot:

I had pretty much the opposite experience. Evernote was always way more than I needed, so when they started charging, I jumped right away to OneNote. Syncs flawlessly between my phone, laptop, and office computer. I don't need it for much, just basic written notes separated into a few broad notebooks, but I've had zero reason to look for something else.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Taima posted:

You spent like $600 to read comic books a bit better?

I won't judge, but I would argue that it's not a compelling use case for most people, and most people would not derive enough of an upgrade going from Air 2 to 10.5 Pro to justify dropping like 600 bucks over just using the tablet they already own, especially if they aren't trying to use the Pencil or other Pro-specific features.

I mean let's be real man the screen is not even 1 inch bigger.

For sure, and "much higher quality picture" is really overselling the Air 2 to Pro difference.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

thehoodie posted:

Hi thread, I just inherited an iPad Mini 4 and have no idea what to do with it. I think I would mostly use it for reading articles (mostly PDF, maybe .epub - what are the best apps for this), and for playing games. But I am also open to 1) making it look cool, 2) making it do other cool things.

So basically, what are some must-have apps, and what else should I know about this thing?

Oh, I should say that I have an Android phone and no other Apple products so no interconnectivity.

Read on it, browse the internet on it, play games, do whatever. There's nothing magical an iPad Mini does, it's just a wifi-only bigger display iPhone. If you don't find that useful over just using your phone, your iPad will soon begin collecting dust!

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Kilometers Davis posted:

Hold the main app you're moving around and tap the others you want to move with it.

*with a different finger. (Right? Haven't tried it, but I think it's a multi hand/finger thing... Didn't sound like anything too easily discoverable)

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

dexter6 posted:

I was wondering what was causing that. So it's a forum's problem and not an awful app problem?

It's in awful.apk too. Glad someone else mentioned it before I tried a round of uninstall/reinstall of the apps.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Proteus Jones posted:

I think content creators can really bump up against the limits of the iPad. I know illustrators can really tax it, especially professional illustrators and digital painters. It's also a pretty capable piece of hardware for home music studios with some of the prosumer stuff out like the KORG apps or some the modeling guitar amps like Ampkit or Amplitube.

K, so that's like a fraction of a percent of the millions of iPads sold each quartet

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Proteus Jones posted:

Dude I'm not disagreeing with you. I was one of the ones talking about the slowdown of sales because no one sees a need to jump every year

Someone asked does anyone really need the cutting edge model, and I answered yeah, there's some. Are they tiny percentage, sure. Not trying to argue otherwise.

E: gently caress, I missed a "not". That tends to be a important loving word in the context of the first sentence.

Oh yeah, no worries, didn't mean that to come off as an attack on you

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

nervana posted:

Are there any problems updating ipad air 2 to ios11? ios 11 killed my iphone 6 and i do not want another dead device on my hands.

Mine seems fine, maybe a touch more stuttery than before but not a big deal.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Calaveron posted:

Man wouldn't a full screen ipad ala the iPhone ecks be pretty cool

No, it's nice to have bezels to hold it

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Calaveron posted:

I have a 9.7 pro and I'm so tempted to buy the newer model but uhhhhh I can't really justify it

Yeah, it's just an iPad. You can do email and docs and "consuming anything" just fine on any modern iPad.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
Yeah, I'm sure new iPad would feel faster, but my Air 2 still feels plenty fast (and has plenty of free space), so I'm not feeling an itch to upgrade.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

FCKGW posted:

They even make matte screen protectors that make the ipad feel more like paper too

Is that a good solution if the goal is just cutting down glare on a non-laminated display?

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

japtor posted:

That’s the main reason they exist afaik.

How’s the graininess with them these days? I know that was an issue before way back when the retina screens started coming out, like the matte texture wasn’t fine enough and the anti glare effect arguably wasn’t worth the image degradation.

Yeah, guess I was asking if they're worth using for that purpose. I decided to move to a 2018 iPad from an Air 2 and don't know yet if display difference will bother me, so having an option to add a nice matte finish to it would be good to know about.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
Eh, I sold an Air 2 and got the basic 2018 iPad because I got tired of seeing little bits of lag and, more annoyingly, waiting like tens of seconds occassionally for pages of a PDF to load if I scrolled too many pages at once. It's a noticeable, though not massive, performance increase from my Air 2, anyway, so I'd definitely go from an Air 1 to the new one. The display is also not nearly as noticeably worse than the Air 2 for me, that's the only thing I was worried about. The other negative I saw was that it sounds more hollow if you tap it with your finger nail, which yeah it does, but lol at trying to make that an issue.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

MarcusSA posted:

Also they moved the loving time. Why god?? Whyyyyyyyyyy

To make the usage on either side of the notch symmetric

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Three Olives posted:

Buy the iPad 2018 32GB, spring for LTE, trust me, dollar for dollar it makes such a difference for everyday use as long as you can afford the $20 a month and don’t need to store a lot of local media.

No don't, that's what your phone is for

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

POCKET CHOMP posted:

Yes please fix it for me.

I guess pause is inaccurate, but it's definitely a slowdown. A "flick" compared to a slower swipe produces different results for me, even if they're done to the exact same height from the bottom of the screen. The faster one tends to return to the home screen, the slower one tends to open up the multitasking, but again, it feels inconsistent (and not to mention unintuitive) to me.

Please don't take this as an attack on the sanctity of iOS 12's iPad gestures if such a thing offends you :)

It's really bad. It worked great on iOS 11. This is an attack on iOS 12's gestures. Also the inconsistency of gestures between an iPad and an iPhone SE is also bad, but not unique to iOS 12, just a bad OS in general.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

rio posted:

Are there any notable improvements in ios12 that I would be losing out on staying with 11? An easy fix to the gestures to me would be to just not upgrade but I have been holding off and trying to see if there are any tangible benefits to updating.

It is overall nicer, small but noticeable smoothness improvements on iPad 2018 and iPhone SE. There are just a few little things like that that are dumb.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Pants Donkey posted:

The non-laminated screen drives me up the wall, although I imagine most normal, well-adjusted people don’t even notice.

Yep, I went from an Air 2 to iPad 2018 and noticed for about a day that the screen was a little worse, but have long since stopped noticing or caring. Screen is good, performance is good, and it's silly to spend the money for a new iPad Pro if you're just going to browse SA and watch Netflix on it. I can't imagine caring about the bezels, ha. The horror of having a place to comfortably hold the thing :cry:

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

PRADA SLUT posted:

Apple sells a refurb of mine for $580, so I was thinking $300 as a 'base price', and throwing in a keyboard cover and pencil takes it to 350?

I mean, a new 32 GB 2018 iPad is still $330, right? I'd easily have jumped on someone selling yours in excellent condition for that, even though I don't do anything at all needing a Pro. I'd think $400 or $450 for it with those accessories would still sell quickly, but I don't really know.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
32gb is fine for me as a internet, Awful, reading, Netflix machine. I remember seeing an ad somewhere that they'd be $250, wanna say BH Photo Video or Newegg or Best Buy maybe? Don't remember if it was only Black Friday or in advance.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

priznat posted:

drat, not fixable. Debating trading in for the $80 or whatever towards a Pro now :haw:

If price is a concern, just get the base iPad, it's good

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Binary Badger posted:

All right, loving fine, it's time to trade my 1st generation iPad Mini in for the new iPad mini 5th generation.

A12 chip and 256 GB storage will give me the finest experience of playing FTL on the train ever.

Forget all that, I dunno how you dealt with that display for this long :gonk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Len posted:

How do I take a PDF that's on my desktop and put it on an iPad? I thought you would use iTunes but apparently not anymore. I tried to download it from the website it was on but am apparently too stupid to figure out how to save it to the device. I thought I had but then when I clicked on it to open it just disappeared and didn't open.

Edit: And like always I bitched on the internet and then immediately found the right google search. If there's an easier way than opening a thing in Safari and copying to iBooks I would love to hear it.

Put it in Dropbox, open in Dropbox app on iPad? Email it to yourself? Downloading from the website on your iPad also should definitely work, unless I'm missing something.