Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

101 posted:

Haha, me neither. I've always wondered why they don't put the better camera on the front. Skype/FaceTime is the only thing me and all my family use iPad cameras for.

I've only used my iPad's rear facing camera to take photos of my phone which is my actual camera. The front facing one gets a lot of use through Photo Booth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Honestly the 3rd gen is kind of a blunder to fill the gap between the 2nd gen and a Retina iPad (that would later be the 4th gen.) It's just not a great iPad, like how the 4th gen iPod is a blunder.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Endless Mike posted:

The 3rd gen is retina, though. What are you saying? Mine works great.

I know. It's just nowhere near as good as the new iPad.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

japtor posted:

Basically they quadrupled the pixels being drawn but only doubled up on GPU power (and without a die shrink it ended up with a massive SoC as a result), and otherwise only doubled up on RAM while leaving the CPU the same.

It's not bad by any means, it was just a stopgap.

Yeah, this is what I was referring to.

It's certainly not horrible but it's noticeably slower compared to the new iPad, especially in scrolling scenarios.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

trilljester posted:

Played with an iPad Mini this past weekend at the Apple Store. Absolutely amazed at how light it is compared to my iPad 2. Worth buying now or waiting until October for retina display?

Sorta up to you. I don't particularly care about retina display or anything and it certainly handles Netflix just fine. I'm not a big gamer on it and even then it handles everything I throw at it.

It is a little outdated by today's standards but its still a solid device. Only you can decide if you're fine with whatever it has now or if you'll want to wait to get the best of the best.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Skittle Wood posted:

My retina iPad, which I got through Amazon back in December now has a small dent in one corner. I can live with it, but if I wanted to do something about it, what options do I have?

I can only think of a couple, and I'm going to order them from what I believe to be less of a headache to the worst headache possible.

1) Find something to cover the corner, like a case.
2) Take it to an Apple store and have it replaced for a price.
3) Sell it and buy a new one.
4) Have someone replace the entire housing for a price.
5) Replace the entire housing yourself.

There may be a few other options, but short of "cover it up and live with it" no option is very good.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
I've heard good things about this:

http://clamcase.com/bluetooth-ipad-keyboard-case.html

Owning an iPad mini, though, I just own a Logitech k760 and use the smart cover to prop it up. It works well enough for me, but the Clamcase is absolutely what I would buy if I had a big iPad.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

TraderStav posted:

Holy smokes that thing looks sweet, but $170 is a big nut to swallow. I was thinking the $99 for the Zagg was on the high end. I'll keep it in mind, I appreciate the feedback!

I would still recommend a solution similar to mine. The separate bluetooth keyboard is still highly portable, but there's nothing extra hanging off the iPad for when I just want to sit on the couch and goon it up. The k760 is solar, too, so you never get to worry about battery life.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
I'm trading my iPad off and I want to factory reset it before I give it to the other guy. I did a test reset and it asked for my Apple ID before I was able to set it up. Is there a way to get around this, or are we going to have to reset each iPad on site and activate it using our own Apple IDs and then it's tied to the new accounts?

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Sieg posted:

What?

I'm not even sure what you are asking. Just have the other guy use his own Apple ID.

It asks to login to the Apple ID used to activate the iPad, presumably as an anti-theft measure. I want to know if logging into your own account after you login to the Apple ID will transfer the ownership, so to speak, so if I have to reset my new iPad in the future it won't have to be logged into his account.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Hasters posted:

Was iOS 7 ever installed on this device? Activation Lock hasn't been added to 6 IIRC.

Actually, yeah. I reflashed it to 6.1.3. Didn't think the recipient wanted to fight the beta.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
What kind of screen protection is everyone using? I'm deliberating between the Zagg fullbody or some such, or a vinyl back skin and tempered glass front.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
I thought the same on my Mini, but it was definitely scratched in a few places. Don't want the same thing to happen to this iPad.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

withak posted:

Your pig friend doesn't need one either.

And why don't I or his "pig friend" need a screen protector, exactly?

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
That's why I'm open to options. I'm not going to buy some cheap poo poo off eBay for $3.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
At the very least, I want a skin that goes on the back. I don't have the patience for something like the iCarbons, since you'd have to use a blowdryer to form the corners and I can already tell that will just drive me insane when I don't get it right.

I was thinking either this:

http://www.karvt.com/products/ipad-2-new-ipad-ipad-4-wooden-skins

Or something like this:

http://www.spigen.com/tablets/apple/spigen-sgp-ipad-3-3g-wifi-skin-guard-series.html

Now the Karvt is real wood and apparently a bitch to take off on top of adding a fair bit of thickness. The Spigen ones are probably less of a hassle but I'm a sucker for wooden poo poo so I lean towards the Karvt.

The iPad will be moving between a folio case and a regular smart cover which is why I want to go the skin route, as it seems like it'd work with both. Does anyone use anything similar?

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
The technology is there. I have a Polaroid portable Bluetooth printer that natively works with iPad. It prints your photos on little wallet-sized photo paper.

Now, has anyone actually made a fullsize, portable 8.5"x11" printer? No loving idea. But I wouldn't give up the search quite yet.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

nrr posted:

That's the thing, gifs don't play smoothly once they're fully loaded. The stuttering goes on forever. It's even more frustrating when the exact same gifs run fine on my iPhone 4 and my connection is 100mb so that sure isn't the issue.

I had the exact same experience. IPad Mini with iPhone 4. Ran great on the iPhone, and more often than not wouldn't even play on my iPad. Same problem now, too - great on my Note 2, runs like rear end on my iPad 3.

Maybe something to do with effective resolution? Who knows. Minor thing for me - iPad is there for games, Facebook and GarageBand.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

chupacabraTERROR posted:

I have a mini and gave my 3 to my gf, but I want a 5 because the RAM on the mini annoys me and I want a bigger screen again. I hope the new 5 is lighter than the 3/4 though, that thing is a beast compared to the mini.

First world problems...

I went from the Mini to a 3 and the weight doesn't bother me. Usually curl up on the couch and play Peggle, though, which the Mini was a bit too small for.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
I think it's unlikely. There's a reason Apple is sticking to 1024x768 effective resolution nowadays. They don't want to go fragment the ecosystem like Android.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
It'd be a great size for something like a business terminal or some other stationary device that just needs a screen and an iOS app to function.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

1997 posted:

Third generation also does LTE, which is why it has a SIM.

Yeah, Verizon LTE does SIMs. So you're both right, Verizon is CDMA, but their 4G devices use SIMs.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

slow crow posted:

iOS7 on the iPad makes life in general more beautiful.

Is there any way towards having these devices not made by slaves? I feel like the increased productivity I've experienced has conserved at least $10 I'd gladly put towards buying the workers actual isopropyl to clean the screens for shipping as opposed to carcinogenics that cost fractions of a US cent less per litre.

Yeah, I think they have the donation forms at your local Starbucks. Ask them for one when you go to get your next Grande Caramel Mocha Latte.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Nihiliste posted:

I don't think it makes you a yuppie or hipster to wish Apple was more interested in the labor conditions its products are made under.

They're one of the only companies I know of that actively investigates questionable labor conditions in the first place.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Yeah, pisspoor labor conditions, suck, but Apple's not the worst about it.

How many manufacturers have this on their website:

https://www.apple.com/supplierresponsibility/

https://www.apple.com/supplierresponsibility/reports.html

Saying that iPads are made by slaves is a little harsh. You want to talk about a tablet made by slaves, buy a $50 Android tablet.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Defrag a SSD? Did you defrag the iPad? Is that even possible? :psyduck:

Also it's slow on my 3 as well so I just assume iOS 7 isn't optimized for iPads very well. The iPad 4 probably has enough raw power to not show it as horribly.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Oh. Yeah, I don't know what the new iOS does. It is really choppy initially and smoothed out on my 3, which is now 24 hours post-update. It's still way noticeably slower than iOS 6, but not horribly laggy and freezing doing simple things.

It is one of the legitimately biggest changes to iOS, if not the biggest, so it'll be ironed out in the future I guess. Apple probably had their mind on iPhones more than iPads.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Aphrodite posted:

Apple saw how ugly Microsoft is making everything and said "Us too!"

I hate that white is back in design. White space sucks.

I agree, if only because I have my phone all black-themed to not sear my retinas whenever I want to look at a late night text message or something. I mean, I'll take the new iOS over the old glossy stuff, but I can't go 5 minutes in the default iOS 7 apps without thinking "this didn't have any afterthought put into it."

I don't have an iPhone, so I can't gauge if it's better there, but a lot of stuff on the iPad just seems without afterthought.

Also I kinda like the Metro interface but only in Windows 8.1 where you can have an actual image as a wallpaper.

e: I'm totally using afterthought wrong, but I'm too lazy to fix it. The point is that iOS 7 on iPads is still rough around the edges. :colbert:

Macichne Leainig fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Sep 20, 2013

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Aphrodite posted:

It's not Metro, Metro is all colorful with background colors. I'm mostly complaining about Office 2013.

Well I guess we'll see how official app offerings from Apple turn out. I was a little disappointed to see the iOS Pages not updated, but I guess they probably want to get the fully fledged version working first.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

LingcodKilla posted:

I'm sorry I was making up everything I said to impress you with my standard iPad. It's draining faster and that's that.

Turn the percentage off and quit sperging out about it.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
gently caress, I waited too long to sell my 3rd gen, didn't I.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

suddenlyissoon posted:

There's roughly a 50 dollar difference right now between the 3rd & 4th gens. I upgraded from 3rd to 4th to stay in the Apple Upgrade cycle...If I could sell my 4th 32gb wifi for 375 I'd probably take it. For reference, I've never gotten less than 450 for the 3, 2 or 1 gens.

I have a 3rd gen 16GB in pretty good condition, plus smart cover and a full array of cases. I think I could squeeze $300 shipped out of it, and that's all I want.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Does the warranty cover speaker crackle? Because my iPad has always done that at high volumes, but if I can get a good one out of it, I might just go. I don't jailbreak my stuff so the volume caps are stock.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
The Air nomenclature has been to describe products that are lighter than their competitors. The iPad Air is no exception.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

teagone posted:

What, I can't create stuff on a MacBook Air then?

You can, but the MBPs are the laptop models marketed to professionals. Airs are supposed to be everyday companions for everyday people. Both machines can be used for both, but they're marketed to different lifestyles.

I guess this still makes no context in terms of the iPad Air, but whatever. It's a pound. That's pretty drat good for a tablet.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
No, goons, don't tell me this, or I'm going to have to buy yet another electronic device that I barely use. :negative:

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
I think I'm going to bank the money from selling my current iPad, and wait for refurbs of the Air to pop up on the Apple store. As much as I'm tempted by other tablets like the 2014 Galaxy Note 10.1, I'm far too invested in the Apple ecosystem (and to be frank every non-iPad I've ever owned has been garbage.)

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Jet Ready Go posted:

Refurbished iPads don't typically pop up until the next upgrade gen appears, like a year from now.

I can be patient. :colbert:

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
I remember hating that about my Mini smart cover so when I switched to a 3, the actually usable smart cover was pretty nice. Wouldn't buckle every time you breathed at it wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Speaking of Skinomi, I got two skins in the mail today and applied one on the back of my iPad Air. Three things hit me:

1) It appears to be the same material as a (glossy) BSE -- which I think is 3M Scotchcal, or it used to be.
2) Having the soap solution in a fine-mist sprayer makes application MUCH easier than immersing the skin in the solution. Much easier.
3) I don't like the way Skinomi cut their corners -- it requires part of the skin to bend all around the corner, which is doable but a pain. BSE's V cut seems a lot more practical.

Ugh, is that the poo poo where you have to heat gun the thing to get it to adhere to the corner? That drives me nuts. I'll take a V cut over that for sure, hell of a lot less effort.