Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy

abraham linksys posted:

i have a few friends who use ipad pros who are like "oh yeah the first-gen pencil is trash compared to this you should save up," and there's zero loving chance i'm going to drop $500 more on a tablet just for a nicer pencil, especially when my main use case for this thing is "a screen to watch netflix on while i am working on my laptop, and also sometimes used to look at recipes in the kitchen." the last time i actually used a stylus of any sort was a nintendo ds, so i have no idea what my expectations should be, is it relatively easy to do "normal" hand-writing with or do you have to write like you're on a whiteboard?
The new pencil is better in pretty much every way, but calling the the old one "trash" is silly.

In use, there is one major difference between the new and old pencil: you can double tap the side of the new one to change which tool you're using in a drawing app. You can't do that on the original. For a serious graphics person, I'm sure that's really nice.

When not in use, relative to the new pencil, the original one is a mild pain in the rear end.

New pencil magnetically attaches to the ipad frame, original has to be carried separately.

New pencil charges while it's magnetically attached, original has to be charged by either shoving it in the ipad lightning port or finding your special dongle to connect a lightning cable. You then have to carry that tiny dongle around too.

New pencil just charges as-is, original has a tiny cap covering its lighting connector that does not attach to the pencil. Don't lose it while you're charging!

But those are annoyances, not dealbreakers. For the last two, there is a selection on Amazon and elsewhere of $5-10 silicone things that can attach the cap to your pencil and/or the dongle to a lightning cable.

The third option is the Apple-sanctioned Logitech crayon, which was originally made for schools. Same deal as the original apple pencil, but not pressure sensitive. Has a charging port like a phone rather than bayoneting into the ipad. Price hovers between $50 and $70. I only used one for about 30 seconds, but it seemed fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy

Taima posted:

Having an iPhone should be the base requirement for buying into Apple and then all product decisions and design considerations should flow from that.
You're completely overlooking education and corporate use, to start.

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy

Question Mark Mound posted:

Horribly specific use case and I assume the answer is "no", but is there any way to toggle complete palm rejection for a certain app or at-will (e.g. in accessibility settings on a triple-home click or something) and only allow the Pencil to work?

Sometimes my friends and I play Pictionary using Tabletop Simulator on the PC, and it would be cool to be able to use the Steam Link app to be able to physically draw my drawings with the Pencil on my iPad rather than the mouse on my PC. However, if my palm touches the tablet at all that counts as a mouse input.

I have used a thin winter glove with conductive fingertips for a similar purpose (using a cheapo stylus to write a lot of text). It was the easiest solution and surprisingly not too hot.