Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
Hi there, a local store is selling the 2018 ipad wifi+cell/32g variant at 349€. Is there any downfalls from going last model? My last ipad was an air 2 (which i expect to have a better screen to the current cheap model) so i know how the basics work. I don't care about smart cases (i still have a old logitech bt keyboard that i bought for my mk1 ipad) or wireless charging.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Endless Mike posted:

Technically it's the current iPad. It'll be faster than the Air 2, but yeah, the screen's not quite as good. I like mine fwiw, though I don't know if that's a good deal or not.

Undiscounted price is 489€ so it's quite a jump

Boris Galerkin posted:

The only problem I see here is the 32GB size. Even with iCloud or Dropbox etc it’s gonna be a pain to micromanage. Any chance they have a 64GB one at a similar price?

I survived with my ipad 1 and ipad 3 at the minimum flash quota(16g) so storage gymnastics don't scare me that much.

Thanks everyone for the replies.

SlowBloke fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Jun 8, 2019

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
I managed to snag the last unit present in the store...rose gold :blush:
The iPad is stupid fast compared to my old air 2 but the screen is not bad as I thought. Hopefully it won’t slow down to a crawl once iOS 13 goes GA

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
Can any beta 3 tester do me a solid and check how developed the files SMB feature is? If it works fine for connecting and browsing a nas, I might as well uninstall FileBrowser once iPadOS ships

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Clark Nova posted:

Video playback works but is limited by codec support

So it's mp4 (h264/h265 codec) only correct? no mkv files right?

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

hooah posted:

Not sure if this belongs in this thread or the iPhone one.

My wife recently got an iPhone 8 (from a 5s), and ever since, her iPad mini can't send texts. I believe it receives fine, however. How can I fix this?

I had the same happen to me when I purchased my XR, when you register/activate your phone all preexisting iMessage and FaceTime accounts will get messed up. Check on both devices if the addresses are correct.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

hooah posted:

By addresses do you mean the iCloud email addresses?

Email addresses and numbers, in my case registering my iPhone removed all my email addresses(leaving the phone numbers) from iMessage/FaceTime. Double check on both devices.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
I don't know if somebody else posted this problem in the last few pages but if you have issues enabling a bluetooth mouse with ipados 13.4 when having a keyboard already connected, i've found that disconnecting everything and connecting to the mouse first(and keyboard second) solved the issue. Mouse works fine afterwards, no need to turn anything on in accessibility. It's kinda puzzling how now that i've a mouse connected all the false touches, focusing at random and being unable to select a word magically solved themselves(and now works perfect like when I using a bloody ipad1)

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Duckman2008 posted:

Worth mentioning for screen on the base iPad is not as good as the Air or of course the Pro. Big reason it’s so cheap.

I did the jump from a air 2 to a ipad 6 and maybe i'm getting blind but the screen isn't that worse(i honestly never really noticed the change). I do use it 99% indoors so maybe that's the reason.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

frogbs posted:

Is bluetooth mouse support on iPadOS finicky for anyone else? I'd say scrolling on my Logitech M720 Triathlon works about 50% of the time, which is super frustrating.

I’m using a Microsoft designer mouse on my iPad 6 and it’s mostly ok, I get some missed scrolls but it’s usually the ui crapping out due to lack of resources.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Martytoof posted:

I sometimes stream my iPad on discord by plugging it into my MBP and using QuickTime Player to do a screen recording then streaming that window.

Why not having twitch capture the screen directly and cut the middleman? The iPad can encode the screen hardware accelerated and if link latency is an issue, connect a usb-c ethernet card.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Martytoof posted:

I’m not streaming to twitch, it’s more for language learning with friends on discord, and discord on the iPad can’t do screen sharing yet as far as I know :(

Oh sure, pretty much everything does screen capture but discord, which is kinda weird given the gaming target...

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Taima posted:

The problem is, as long as a camera exists on the pro (a bad decision arguably and we can go into why it shouldn’t) the bump is just physics. Cameras need physical space to operate. It’s difficult for me to blame a consumer product for physics-based issues :shrug:

I think there is a Feynmann book on how Apple cannot make devices without bumps and are not allowed to make the phones/tablets a few millimeters thicker overall, with the resulting empty space inside used for stuff like heatsinks or batteries....

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Taima posted:

That's interesting, I don't suppose you know what book it is?

I actually kinda side with Apple on this- the iPad Pro 3rd gen is the perfect thickness imo. I would not support a thicker end product even if it did result in no bump, or greater heat dissipation/larger battery.

Apple is mostly all-in on their ecosystem, but they refuse to make individual parts required, to its own detriment as a holistic ecosystem (imo). Having an iPhone should be the base requirement for buying into Apple and then all product decisions and design considerations should flow from that.

For instance, say you need to scan a document on your iPad. It should prompt you to take that scan, on your phone, not on the iPad, and then transfer over the resulting image seamlessly. The iPad shouldn't have a camera at all. This is for several reasons:

1) The iPhone needs, and has, the best cameras available at any given time.
2) Phones have, on the whole, a far shorter upgrade cycle than tablets, therefore there is a high probability that your tablet will nearly always have a worse camera than your current iPhone.
3) Your phone is, by and large, always on you and readily available by default. Therefore its availability can be assumed.
4) Avoiding a duplication of redundant cameras removes a failure point and is arguably environmentally friendly, a stated Apple design goal (though we can argue about how much they really care about that, it's still a selling point to some degree, or at least a minor marketing win if framed correctly).

You are off your rocker, the biggest ipad markets are education, point of sale and media consumption(all running on the lowest end ipad/ipad mini) where being thin is actually detrimental(as you will need to fit them in a shock/child/manchild proof case anyway, so who cares about cutting one extra millimeter) and cost is king. Clueless c-level that need an all apple ecosystem from iphone to apple chair wheels are a drop in the ocean.

If i had to ask finance to buy all of our ipad users extra iphones rather than our stock androids due to the ipad "subpar" rear cam, it would incur an extra expense so big we might as well give them surface pros.

SlowBloke fucked around with this message at 19:35 on May 24, 2020

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Taima posted:

But if the camera on my iPad Pro fell off tomorrow, I wouldn't give a single poo poo.

This sentence has always been said by people that never experienced an ipad 1. The lack of cameras cripple the device to a overglorified kindle/archos, jumping from a ipad 1 to ipad2 was night/day.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

MarcusSA posted:

Front facing yes. Rear one? Lol absolutely not.

A good number of ipad as a point of sale systems rely on the rear camera for qr/barcode scans...doing selfies on a ipad to scan codes would be awful

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

FCKGW posted:

You don’t have to put a case on it, you can always just ignore the bump.

Using a apple pencil with a naked ipad pro is annoying as it will be wobbly... That's my main crux with ipad pros, every now and then i keep my ipad naked (esp in the summer to slightly improve thermals) and having to get some spacers on the ipad to properly jot down stuff is some next gen cargo cult

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Combat Pretzel posted:

Is there any way in iPad OS, or an app, to show more details about the WLan connection? My new router supports WPA3 and I want to see whether it's getting used or not. The connection details in iPad OS don't appear to show negotiation details.

http://www.my80211.com/home/2019/10/5/ios-13-and-ipados-wi-fi-diagnostics.html

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Boris Galerkin posted:

I could understand if xCloud was like Steam where you needed to buy each game you wanted to play, but isn't xCloud more like Netflix and/or Apple Arcade where you pay a subscription and can play everything in the catalog?

There are two options, remote xbox streaming where you stream your game library(every installed digital or what game is in the disc tray) from your console or xcloud streaming where you stream whatever is currently on gamepass from a server in an azure DC. The former was never available for iOS, the latter had a very limited beta.

SlowBloke fucked around with this message at 10:59 on Aug 10, 2020

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
Quick question, after upgrading to ios14 I don't see any 1440/2160p options on YouTube app on neither my XR nor my iPad 6th gen, is there any compatibility matrix to check? The codec is there on both devices(in safari experimental there is "WebRTC support for vp9" so I would guess it's supported).

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Martytoof posted:

I defend Apple on a lot of things, but removing functionality on a higher end (or any) product for no discernable reason just can’t be the hill I die on. I never used it but it literally costs them nothing to leave it in and if people don’t use it then they don’t use it.

Like if it’s about being annoyed by accidentally turning something on I’d love to ping Apple about the stupid globe language key on my keyboard that I inadvertently LITERALLY hit five or six times a day with my palm that Apple insists on not giving me a way to turn off despite the fact that I can switch languages with the useless capslock button.

If I had to take a guess, apple started making the split screen keyboard less relevant in public docs the moment smart connector appeared, they want you to use a keyboard for landscape typing on newer models...

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
I'm going to go buy a new ipad in a few hours, the local tech shop is doing some offers on a base wifi ipad air 5th gen or ipad 9th. Is it that big of a jump to justify pretty much 2x the price?

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
Got a 9th gen iPad, i'll wait for usb-c across iPhone, iPad and AirPods to make the big jump.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

The Grumbles posted:

I think the older chips actually don’t have the architecture needed for multiple separate displays.

A12z in DTK was able to drive two monitors if i remember correctly.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

101 posted:

Honestly I'm always fascinated how corps come to certain decisions so :justpost: if you want to

OP is mentioning intune which until very recently had a sorta mediocre MacOS support(plus unless you use ADE/ABM you cannot do zerotouch deploys). We just deployed our first M1 macs and being finally able to zerotouch them(since we can't purchase direct from apple and our usual suppliers cannot do the proper ABM registration) makes it finally usable. I'm expecting similar feelings if they want to jump away.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
Lol my choice of getting a heavily discounted ipad 9 a bit ago has been vindicated. The choice of using a dongle on the ipad10 rather than going pencil2 is idiotic, esp since the ipad9 is still in production if the point was expending pencil1 stocks.

SlowBloke fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Oct 19, 2022

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

The Dave posted:

I don't know which flavor of android this is, I've only been an iOS user, but I remember these HTC devices and this weather widget being like the pinnacle of mobile design:

That skin is platform agnostic, it was the same on windows mobile 5 or android. It was made by SPB if i remember correctly.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

sleepwalkers posted:

it was made by htc as a part of senseui and they used it on both their winmo and android devices. they tried really hard to not make winmo suck rear end on touchscreens…
it was popular enough that basically everyone else made their own version of it, and iirc the early android market days there were a ton of widgets just straight up ripping those assets.

Early HTC android and winmo5 had spb software in the stock image(at least in my locale), touchflo/senseui were done years later. I think I considered it a cool value add compared to my i-mate of that era.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

The Grumbles posted:

Lightning cables are everywhere and ubiquitous

I do wonder for how long, 30pin cables vanished rather quickly once every apple device went lightning.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

AlternateAccount posted:

iPad Pro refuses to install 15.7.2

- Downloaded, click install, during verify it fails saying I am no longer connected to the internet. I am.
- Deleted and redownloaded update. Same result.
- Restarted iPad. Same result.
- Connected iPad to Mac. It sees 15.7.1 and says that's current.

What do I do here?

Use apple configurator to force the upgrade?

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

devilmonk posted:

Are iPad versions 5, 6 and 7 still “ok”?
Would be replacing an Air2

I recently sold my iPad 6 to a colleague since it swapped harder than a vista ready pc running on a 5400rpm drive. I would suggest trying to go for an 8th or newer. My base spec 9th gen is pretty much another planet compared to it.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Buff Hardback posted:

When you restore your backup to a new device, one of the prompts on your old device is "hey, do you want to wipe it in preparation for giving it away? this will turn off Find My"

Only on ipados/ios 15+, older versions won't tell you anything.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Rinkles posted:

Does the YouTube app keep defaulting to 720p for anyone else, even with wifi more than fast enough for 1080p?

Youtube defaults to 480p on my iOS devices even if there is enough bandwidth for 2160p(1000/100mbps)

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Rinkles posted:

It really is pretty embarrassing that Apple couldn’t put together a proper iPad app for Classical. Can’t even slide it over.

Lots of music apps are poo poo on iPads. Bandcamp is designed for iPhone only for instance.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Jose Oquendo posted:

Have you looked at Keynote? That has some of the same functionality and you can control keynote on your iPad with iPhone and Apple Watch.

Powerpoint for iOS (not the all in one app) also has apple watch remote capability.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Tetraptous posted:

I don’t like the pen support in PowerPoint. It’s a lot clunkier than GoodNotes, which is why I go through the extra step of importing my slides into it. The GoodNotes pens feel better, look better, have easier menus to switch colors, and support things like drawing straight lines and shapes easily.

Its been years since I last used Keynote, and I hadn’t thought to try in on my iPad. I’ll give it a whirl and see if I like it better.

I wouldn’t use the Apple Watch remote support for classroom lectures since I mark up my charts as I go, but would for other things. Nice to know that’s an option with both PowerPoint and Keynote. Is Microsoft going to continue support for the standalone PowerPoint app? I thought the all-in-one was the new hotness.

I'm not expecting much on the mobile front until the new unified desktop app is out, stand-alone apps are sorta static development wise, they get bug fix but no new features.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

xzzy posted:

Are FAT32 and exFAT the only filesystems that iPad can read/write from that can also be read/write on a Windows system?

Some google searching suggests this is the case but I figured a doublecheck would be easy in here, mostly because the search engines think I'm actually interested in osx and windows which is close but not quite.

iPads only support filesystems supported by SD cards(FAT for SD/SDHC and exFAT for SDXC) for their sd readers addons. Stuff like NTFS or EXT is no good.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Mister Facetious posted:

What are some decent micro-sd card reader/adapters for iPad pro? Preferably usb 3.0 or better.

I suggest getting a mechanical microsd to sd card adapter and then whatever fullsize se reader the photographer boards/reddit are currently suggesting. Every usb-c microsd reader i've used has been flaky.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Oh man, scrolling text on this iPad 9 makes my eyes go crossed after being on a iPhone 13 Pro for 18 months. drat it's jittery.

My ipad 9 is perfectly fine since I also keep my iPhone at poverty spec levels(just gone from XR to 14, cannot perceive the higher luminosity or increased resolution lol).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Laserface posted:

I use my phone to record my band rehearsals/writing time.

is there a better way to get large video files from the iphone to the ipad than syncing via my icloud stuff? seems stupid to upload then download then delete off the phone.

ideally some kind of automation/shortcut, but i'll settle for something manual.

Airdrop struggles as some of the videos are 45min+ and the whole point of wanting them on the ipad is to make editing them into shorter clips of riffs/ideas easier.

Use a WIFI equipped disk as an intermediary

https://www.amazon.it/SSK-portatile-archiviazione-intelligente-automatico/dp/B0814WPH5M/

You can upload the files from iphone to disk over wifi and from disk to ipad using usb-c.