Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Wow, looked like ARC Squadron to me, too!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Don't listen to these idiots. If you buy a decent screen protector (not matte, not anti-glare,) from a fairly reputable company, (or even get one free with say, a Switcheasy Case) they are functionally invisible and you do not suffer any screen ugliness whatsoever.

I'm not sure what screen protector raped some of these guys' mothers, but clearly it's left scars.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Man, Macrumors has an alleged video of the new iPad's chassis, and let me tell you, if the iPad "Maxi" is like they claim, I'm going to have a much tougher time getting a new Mini. The size, weight, etc... wow. Looks like it will be pretty cool!

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Nihiliste posted:

Don't underestimate the value of size, though. An 8-inch tablet is a lot easier to hold in your hand(s) and stuff into bags.

Oh I'm definite not underestimating it. I still will want to see what's what... but that video made it REALLY look like the size differences were negligible.

Of course, if they did THAT to the iPad... I have to imagine a similar scaling back in size and weight may come for the Mini as well.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, I will PROBABLY go with the iPad "maxi" unless there isn't any feature/spec gap between the two. But I imagine there will be. I imagine the full-sized iPad will be better *somehow*.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Deadpool posted:

I'm running iOS 7 on my iPad 2 and I haven't noticed any big hit in performance at all. Maybe a few quirks here and there but there's no way I'd want to go back to iOS 6 for any reason.

iPad mini here. Same sentiment as well...

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I know it means nothing (and I'm buying the gently caress out of one) but I hate the Air name. It smacks of "variant." Like "this is the lighter, leaner, stripped of certain features to keep it mobile and easy iPad Air."

I know that's not the case. I just hate the name.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

I had no problem walking into Best Buy and buying my iPad 3 and an Apple TV 3 in the late afternoon (~4 PM I think) of day one; and that was a third-party retailer which usually receives far less stock.

You'll probably be fine, but if they have in-store pickup as an option you might as well check stock before you go in.

Whereabouts do you live? I've found in SF and the Bay Area lines were enough to deplete the first day's stock of iThings, and the following days were a wash.

Certainly not calling you false, but I think it's area dependent.

I live in Seattle now and maybe things'll be better?

University Village Apple Store had lines for the 5S but they didn't look heinous. Then again it was already later in the day so maybe the bad lines were over...

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

eddiewalker posted:

"iPad Air Supplies Expected to Be Plentiful at Launch With In-Store Pickup Available." -Macrumors

Everything is a speculation at this point.

I hope so, too. I'm not standing in line but I REALLY want one day one. :)

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I'm gonna go balls out (I always seem to! ) and get the cellular 128.

Gonna feel gooood.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I just want you all to know that despite not being an incredibly wealthy household, we're not selling any of our 2 current iPads as I get an Air.

Instead, I'm going to get a specialized picture frame and hang it on the wall downstairs and strip it of ALL apps except home automation ones.

This will be good if our phones or iPads aren't handy, or also for the nanny.

Right now, our iDevices can control:

Our Sonos system.
The baby monitor Dropcam.
My Nest thermostat.
Our Philips Hue Lights and lightstrips throughout the house.
Possibly a video doorbell thinger one day soon.

And the upside is one day my 10 month old can have that older iPad.

(Sorry if any of this post sounded douchey. I'm real big into home automation! :) )

Bonus image of my Philips Hue Lightstrips mounted behind my TV. Not just a novelty, but great ambient lighting for TV watching.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Don Tacorleone posted:

I'm getting an Air to read comic books too, because the Mini annoys me with all the pointing and dragging you have to do to fit panels and so on. It's just nicer to have the whole page (or almost) and not continuously have to focus on moving the image around.

This is all awesome. Do you have a webpage or a thread to follow / try to do this kind of poo poo? We're finally living in the future.

Not really. It's hard enough getting any of this done with a 10 month old and having any free time. But I will happily provide a pic or two (and detail any advice or pitfalls to avoid) if I come across any, once it's done. :)

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

EC posted:

I'm having a hard time digging up info on this thing. The starter pack ($199) is apparently the only way to get the Bridge, which is required for the light strip ($89) to work. So you're almost $300 into it at this point?

Also, how is it getting a video signal from your TV in order to adjust the color of the strip to match?

I DID find a XBMC add-on which will work with it, but if rather it work with my receiver's HDMI out if possible.

Sorry, I guess this is only VERY loosely related to iDevices in general, but you are right. I got the 3 light starter pack and then the Light strip. (and then another light strip, and then the bloom.)

While yes, it's expensive to start with, it's pretty rad.

The color matching my theme was just my manually setting it. If you ever find a way or a hack or an app or something that will have it match like the Ambilight TV, please PM me. I AM ALL EARS!

:)

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

porktree posted:

Unrelated, I saw a custom KS license plate on my way home from work that read FEENIX.

Hey that's my license plate in GTAV ! :)

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
24 hour Walmart or not, I wouldn't expect them to go on sake before 8 or 9. No way Apple is going to let a 3rd Party scoop them on their own product.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

FlashBangBob posted:

They've done this in the past. Apple does not really give a poo poo who is selling their products, as long as they are selling.

Oh really I thought I remembered it all being 8 am in the related time zones. My bad if I'm wrong.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Endless Mike posted:

You should be able to just swap the SIM into the new one, but maybe I'm wrong about that.

Ohh thats a really good question. I have a Cellular Mini. I'm getting an Air. I don't need BOTH to be activated and on Cellular. I hope I can just put my Mini's SIM in my iPad Air and be good to go.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Yoshifan823 posted:

Ugh, I'm looking at home automation stuff and wishing I had more spending money/owned a home.

I just want to build a tiny efficient home designed to be controlled by my iPad. I'm sure that would be completely inexpensive, right?

It's less expensive than you think, but still kind of a luxury expense...

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Guys I just want it to be 12:01 so I know what's up. Ya know????

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Had one. In store. Credit card was mysteriously declined. All out in my area. What the gently caress, Apple?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
So I got a space gray 128 WiFi.

I kinda wanted an LTE but the site got all asinine about my credit card for some reason and by the time I went to change it, they were sold out of the 10 nearest Apple Stores to me.

This makes me wonder if 128 LTE is just INSANELY POPULAR or they got very few of that combo.

Either way, gonna ask tomorrow if I can swap if they have one on hand. Otherwise, I'm really not disappointed. I travel very little and I can tether if I need to. :)

It's funny. Guaranteed delivery by 11/4 is loving impressive but it's just not the same if it isn't day 1. :shrug:

Edit: actually their stock may be more plentiful of those. It shows in stock now. Maybe they were temp held while orders were processed and then not completed?

Feenix fucked around with this message at 08:35 on Nov 1, 2013

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I may return this smart case. It's not bad, but it feels like the border that hugs the edge of the iPad is very prominent and lippy. (Or at least get a black one so I don't notice.)

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Anyone else pick up a Smartcase today for their Air?

How do you like it? I'm not sure I love how mine feels/looks/works.

The magnetic support "triangling" is way more finicky and specific than before... often coming undone. It feels kind of like an amateur case. Very awkward to pick up. And lifting the cover is harder because it's very flush with the rest of the case edge.

Feenix fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Nov 1, 2013

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
With regard to the smart case, it's bit the worst thing ever, it's just not that great. And in an early morning consumer-joy-haze, it didn't really sink in that it was 80 dollars. I'm pretty likely to return it soon.

[Edit] so wait, with the purchase of this new iPad do I get the ilife/iwork stuff free?

Feenix fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Nov 1, 2013

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Yea my smart case is going back. There is nothing it is doing that I value. The dangling flap is always awkward.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

JazzFlight posted:

Yeah, it still can.

I find myself completely removing it when I use the iPad for reading or browsing since I can't fold it on itself as a handgrip anymore. Still works well as a stand (either orientation) and protective cover, though.

I would argue it doesn't work well as a stand. With 3 panels all you get is a faint magnetic lock if you get it just right and a slight knock, bump or tug it completely undoes itself.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Weight being the only minor negative, I'm waiting for the Switcheasy Canvas for the Air. It's the best folio
Case I've ever had.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

eddiewalker posted:

It looks like it would double the thickness of an Air.

And it doubled the thickness of my mini (and my 3) so in a relativistic sense it would still be much lighter and smaller than what I've had previously.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Man none of the big quality case makers have an air case out yet. :/

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

averox posted:

So uh hey guys. What's the best method for me to back up data on jailbroken ipads and transfer them to a non-jailbroken ipad?

iCloud.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
( non-jailbreak emulator chatI put Super Punch Out on it and its got hosed up orientations and no on-screen buttons. Very odd.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
For what it's worth... I was told by the company that the Switcheasy Canvas, Cara and Pelle were going on sale this week.

I'll be getting a Canvas.
[edit] would the iCade 8-Bitty presumably work with SIOS Emulator on a stock iPad?

[edi2] Holy poo poo it does!

Aside from some hosed up button layouts. (I mean REALLY hosed up!) It works great! Holy poo poo this is the best!

Bring on the better controllers!

Feenix fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Nov 5, 2013

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I can 100% say that... when the Air came out, I was slightly hesitant that it indicated some PRO model was down the line. That said... if part of what makes the PRO the PRO is being *larger* you can count me the gently caress out.

I do not need a computational computer screen I have to mount on my desk and treat it like an iMac.

Not at all interested.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Maybe it's just because I'm at home and my internet/Wifi is good, but the Air's occasional refreshing of Safari Tabs could not be further from an imposition (and actually it is often barely noticed.)

Just jumped around. Seems like 1 in 4+ tabs refreshes when clicking around. And, yeah, it literally does like a flash of the screen and it's loaded. Sooo... I'm not disputing other people's complaints. But it doesn't seem (to me) like any kind of real issue. Maybe it's different if you have/use the Cellular one out in the wild?

Feenix fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Nov 6, 2013

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

https://www.bestskinsever.com makes the best skins, well, ever. I especially like their matte offerings (instead of the typical glossy skins you see) because it doesn't make the iPad look like it's made of shiny, cheap plastic.

Getting a front-glossy back-matte for my air upon your recommendation. This is my first wet-application protector. Seems simple enough... And a little more forgiving than the dry.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Just follow the included directions (there should be a YouTube video somewhere on their site too) and you'll be fine. I've applied them to like 5 different iPads and now and they've all turned out great. Do your best to get the big bubbles (the ones you can actually feel) and then over the next 48 hours the little ones will just disappear.

Is dust and specks any less an issue with these? Over the years I've become good at the dry-apply ones but it's always a crapshoot as to what may be floating in the air nanoseconds before you close it down. Then again, it may be the staticky nature of the dry-apply films that attract or capture those specks.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Yes. And with wet apply, you can remove and reapply the skin three or four times within the first five minutes if necessary. Just make sure to keep your fingertips wet.

SWSP mentioned the small bubbles will go away over a day or two, which is true, but to add - when you first put one on, it's probably going to look like poo poo. Use your judgement, but resist the urge to fiddle with it too much. Even with a sloppy application, it's surprising how many defects just go away in 2-3 days.

Good advice. Thank you both.

Just adding my experience... I read someone in this thread talk recently about their air crashing to Apple logo. I just had that happen too. Was in the multitasking app switcher. No harm came of it but I never got that on my mini with ios7...

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Switcheasy got dem Canvas's for the Air. For anyone who cares. The only disappointing part is it was Lime Green, turquoise, Pink or Black. So I went Black. The Lime Green was nice but I feared ultimately it would look dirty.

http://www.switcheasy.com

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Nihiliste posted:

Yeah, I'm sad about the colors - they had such great ones for the earlier iPads. I was hoping to get another tan one for my Air, but I'll have to be content with black/gray.

The olive/army mini Canvas was my absolute fave.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
So this is my first wet apply (best skins ever) but I gotta say, (granted, I just put it on) The glossy front does NOT look very good right now. I'm hoping when it cures, some milky stuff, tiny bubbles (and most importantly, a really moire-ish rainbow look to my screen (like everything is made of colored pixels, for lack of a better term..) goes away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

averox posted:

Glossy skins were never good. It's just poo poo your threw on back in the day because "omg protection against scratches!" and poo poo. Definitely give it some more time to dry but if it's milky, you probably have too much water under there. Obviously this is going to be notice a lot more since you're staring at the display with light shining through but hopefully the excess liquid should dry out.

I just put a matte back on my Air and it came out very well. I am used to applying these drat wet apply skins though so it wasn't an issue for me because I know what to expect and how to apply it. The corners probably took the best of any device I've had to apply these on. With the exception of the feel and the edges, if you took a glance at it you'd never even know it was there.

Yeah I got a matte back as well. Application went well. Having to kind of coax and work the corners as they slowly dry/adhere.

The front is glossy. Ive had glossy fronts on all my devices dating back to iPhone 1 and never seen a sort of rainbow pixel look. Its possible, I suppose, I used too much water, but honestly, after reading up on tips and watching the official video, I was actually wondering if I'd been too conservative with it.
We'll see in about a day, I guess?

[edit] Also I am having trouble relating to your first sentence. Glossy screens were ALWAYs good, as matte screens always murk up the retina displays. Glossy Screens (for me) have always been extensions of the existing screen. Not noticeable in the slightest except around the holes for the camera and such where you would notice the raised nature of the extra layer's edges.
:)