Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

If I get the iPAd Pro 9.7 32GB how much will I hate life with 32GB? I will mostly have apps on it, productivity and games, and Swift Playground.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Awesome, that is exactly the same setup I'll have. Thanks!

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Craptacular! posted:

So, from looking at Black Friday deals, it seems I can get a 128GB Air 2, a 32GB Pro for $40 more, or a 128GB Pro for $175 more (than the Air 2.)

So if I'm mostly watching streaming content and occasionally playing games, is the audio on the Pro worth the costs and trade offs? I have some nice speakers attached to an Echo Dot in the room I'll be watching most movies in, but my understanding is Bluetooth audio is laggy and the movie will be out of sync etc.

I really can't afford that extra $175 for what I do unless you guys think I'll be seriously unhappy with either of the other options.

Unless you are downloading a crazy amount of content the 32GB Pro is more than fine. It's the one I have and I love it.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

japtor posted:

Last I saw, slightly conflicting rumors, and supposedly more likely to be fall/winter now.

I find it highly unlikely they will bring out the new iPads during the tenth anniversary iPhone launch. It would have to be within the next two months or next year.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

bobfather posted:

I'm not sure it's totally unique - the Pro is marketed as being more suited for photo editing, and the pencil is quite powerful for making quick touch ups.

Is there a way to turn off the Truetone color shifting on the 9.7 inch Pros?

Settings - Display & Brightness

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Calaveron posted:

So what’s the rumor for this year’s pro refresh

Think really big iPhone X.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

I have a pro with 32gb. I made a horrible decision and curse myself every time I have to play the app shuffle. The offloading feature doesn’t help.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Half the time you can't get a iPhone on the charger right good luck getting an unwieldly iPad to teeter on it correctly.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

I was ready to jump on one until no mini-LED. That and the same model chip means another one is probably coming soon if history dictates.

Edit: Though it will be too soon but an announcement for WWDC on the mini-LED and Xcode on iPad that compiles! :swoon::swoon::swoon::swoon:

jabro fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Mar 20, 2020

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Yeast posted:

Expect 2021 for the next iPad revisions.

on ATP they were discussing exactly this. The big bad chip revision is coming, but they didn't want to wait until next year because that would've meant no iPad Pro update between 2018 and 2021, so they did this minor bump. But nothing has materially changed.

2021 we see the 'real' update with new processors, micro-LED, etc etc.

It may have been holiday 2020 originally, but everything is being re-tooled and moved to ensure they don't miss the iPhone 12 launch date because of you know what, and everything else has been delayed and moved to ensure that train runs on time.

They better not delay the 12. I got the Max this time and want to get off this huge phone train ASAP.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

The Dave posted:

It's kind of funny that we still haven't gotten down to what she has to do with the thing but OP seems really heavy on the shade.

Like depending on her job it's very possible that with the right keyboard case it can do everything she needs. Maybe open your mind a little because you seem super pessimistic out the gate.

He literally said that is what they are doing for a week. Maybe open your mind and actually read what is said.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Rolo posted:

It wouldn’t have swayed my decision but just a heads up that the new cactus case doesn’t look like the green in the picture. It’s more like a teal 57 Chevy than any kind of cactus. It’s still the best color so whatever.

Also the Apple Pencil 2 is worth the upgrade. Having it charged and ready without stabbing me in the stomach is nice.

That makes the color way cooler.

Your second paragraph is one of the reasons I want to upgrade from my Pro 9.6. Well that and the touchpad keyboard.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Rolo posted:

Decided to do a GIS comparison and I think I nailed it.

:swoon::swoon::swoon::swoon::swoon::swoon::swoon::swoon::swoon::swoon::swoon::swoon::swoon::swoon::swoon::swoon::swoon::swoon::swoon::swoon:

Good comparison.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

The new camera dongle for iPad. You call it the iPhone.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Martytoof posted:

This is the dumbest reason, but I'd go with 2018 11" Pro over the home-button Pros just for the ease of storing/charging the pencil alone. I use that thing so much that having it stick out the charging port would drive me bananas.

This is not even close to a dumb reason. I have the 9.7 iPad Pro with a Pencil. The cases out there that include a pencil holder have them in a stupid place where if you view the iPad in landscape it is not sturdy at all. Even not touching the drat thing it will fall. Every day I am almost to the brink of buying a new iPad just to have the thing magnetically attach to the iPad. The charging is icing on the cake. I want to hold out for the mini-led but it gets harder every day.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Boris Galerkin posted:

I installed the iOS 14 public beta cause I wanted to try out the widgets and app library and apparently both of those things aren’t enabled for iPad yet. Widgets can only be placed in the existing widget tray and the app library is just missing.

That is correct.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Hughlander posted:

Yep, I brought this one https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07XB45W6C/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1 for myself and then a few months later for my sister for X-Mas. 18 months later still use it every night

Nothing screams quality like XDODD.

Just a quick glance of reviews and some their headlines: Potential Fire Hazard; AirPod part broke easily, phone will not stay charging; Overpriced junk, save your money and wait for better alternatives; Set up is impossible, will damage your product; Suspect quality, possible fire hazard.

I understand your experience is different and everyone's financial situation is not the same but I don't want to lose my family and home and live with the knowledge a $100 would have been the difference.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

mediaphage posted:

i wouldn't buy this but i also think it's funny the top review for me was about a "potential fire hazard" but actually the buyer only read about some and had no issue

I agree and noticed that. But they did mention reviews there and one had pics of the device warping from the heat and said they couldn't pick it up with their bare hand because it was too hot. I choose not buy it because of the potential fire hazard and don't blame the guy for returning it after researching it further for the same reason. Rather read that than "definite fire hazard, burned my house down".

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

mastershakeman posted:

My 4.5 year old is going to be fully online for preK and got a Chromebook with a touchpad for doing his school work. He has no idea how to use a touchpad, and I'm looking at iPads now after never having one before

Last spring we noticed the responsiveness of my wife's iPhone 8 for his online stuff got him to actually do it, as opposed to an old Kindle fire we had laying around. With that in mind Im assuming my focus should be on the processor to make things as snappy as possible.

The pro is too expensive, so it looks like I should be choosing between the mini and the air? Is that correct?

My 5 year old's OG Mini kicks the poo poo out of her school Chromebook. Whatever you decide to get will be better.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

And I have 3 kids between the grades of K - 4. Chromebooks and iPads it is.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Matt Zerella posted:

Legit tempted to upgrade from my 2016 pro to the new air.

I'm thinking this also. I want to wait for the mini-led Pros but the new blue is drat tempting.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Grant DaNasty posted:

I'm planning on getting an iPad soon, and I know I want more than 64gb of storage. Since the 256gb iPad Air 4 and the 128gb iPad Pro 11" are only $50 apart, which one would be the better value?

I don't plan on using it for anything professional, mostly just goofing off, reading comics, and drawing with the Apple Pencil.

The new Air has the upgraded chip. The Pro chip has two more cores but is slower and you’ll see no benefit unless you’re using it for photo processing or other extreme processor heavy things. Even then you’ll probably won’t notice.

The Pro has the slightly better screen being 120Hz but with what you’re doing it’ll be a waste. For 99.9% of the people out there it’s a waste so don’t feel you’re missing out. The Pro also has an ultra wide lens which has no use on an iPad to begin with.

The Air is the way to go.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

SourKraut posted:

If I want to review PDF documents that I need to checkmark and ultimately sign/date, the new iPad Air should be sufficient for that I assume?

More than sufficient.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Boris Galerkin posted:

I downloaded the YouTube app and it works better with the guided access (can just disable the bottom, top, and middle) but the loving ads. Nothing like watching my cat trying to play with the bird on the screen and then LOUD SOUNDS POLITICAL AD. I don’t see ads via Safari in the middle of videos and the ones that come up before that say “skippable in 5 seconds” can be skipped immediately by refreshing the page.

If your cat is watching YouTube for 10 hours a day maybe it should spring for Premium.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Three Olives posted:

So my 12.9 Pro is coming today to replace my 6th Gen iPad...

I rarely very use my Pencil but I do sometimes, I can't cobble together a USB-C=>=Lighting=<=Pencil connection to pair it, right?

I suspect the answer is obviously no but grrrrrr...

Amazon is littered with third party Apple Pencil adapters for charging Gen 1 pencils. Anything from actual charging cables to adapters that connect a USB-C cable to Gen 1 pencil. They are all by companies that you never heard of though.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Twerk from Home posted:

The iPad Thread: Share your weird hacks to avoid buying a new iPad Pro.

But an iPad Air. /thread

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Dugong posted:

Have we heard anything about timings for possible refreshes this year? My 1st gen pro is starting to feel a bit tired but I’m in no rush to upgrade.

I believe the guy who says the AirTags will be out first quarter for the past two years says the 12.9 mini-LED Pro will be out first quarter this year.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

I have the 9.7 Pro. The battery is definitely showing its age. Been holding off getting the Air until I see the min-LED and what new chip will be in these. Hopefully the price difference won't too stupid.

It will be.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Either they will go on preorder when the store opens back up for a Friday release or go on preorder Friday for a release on the following Friday.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Plus this generation has a major screen and processor upgrade. With the software rumors floating around I wouldn’t chance it if you want one anytime soon.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

I want to pull the trigger on one of these real bad. I'm holding out until WWDC to see if the Xcode rumors pan out which I still don't believe but have been wishing for years now. Xcode would be the only reason I would go 12.9. Must... hold... out. Having that $500 Apple dev credit burning a hole in my pocket isn't making this any easier.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

priznat posted:

Oh what Xcode rumours? I love hot goss.

Also anyone have a good app for learning to draw? I have a pro and a pencil but I am poo poo at drawing and thought maybe there is an app that has some lessons..

There is a rumor making the rounds saying with the M1 chip Apple is going to start releasing some of it's full Mac apps on the Pro. Xcode, Final Cut Pro, etc.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

coke posted:

it's on the similar level of lols as the idiots spreading stuff like "wow the m1 macbook air is so fast it need less ram for reasons"

if anything the modern computer or mobile devices are still too slow while the progress of improvement have slowed down, they are probably hitting a wall for performance increase after squeezing all the node and architectural improvements

Please stop snorting your username before posting.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Centrist Committee posted:

Probably more of an iCloud question but safari on my ipad shows three tabs on my phone that I can’t make go away. Close them on the phone, from safari, clear browsing data, toggle safari off and on in iCloud, restart… same three goddamn tabs show up. Any idea how to get rid of them?

Do the settings have your start page open 3 pages?

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

japtor posted:

Isn't his whole channel basically click baity videos about how every new Apple release has some fatal flaw? Like everything is some variation on "WATCH THIS BEFORE YOU BUY!"

That channel is horrible and should just be ignored. Unfortunately they somehow got something like half a million subs and some people (not talking about the person you are replying to) equate that to being an “expert”.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

ThermoPhysical posted:

I'm using an M1 MacBook Air (8-core GPU, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD) alongside my iPad Air 4 and it's great. I set up a little desktop situation with the MBA and I suppose it works with the iPad too but iPad just mirrors itself on external displays. I'm hoping that changes on iPad OS 15 but who knows. :v:

I don't think the 2020 iPads or iPhones are refurbish-able or trade-able yet...nor the 2020 Pixels since I wanted to trade my Pixel 5 for a refurb iPhone 11 Pro Max but they aren't accepting them at the moment.

Have you tried Sidecar?

Edit: I guess that is what you meant with saying desktop situation so ignore me.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

loudog999 posted:

Is the video surround sound thing called something else? That’s what I was asking about, I know it works on my 12 Pro but not the Air 2.

If they are both on the same iPadOS version it should. It’s device agnostic.

Edit: Did you enable it on the Air?

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT211775

jabro fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Jul 4, 2021

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

loudog999 posted:

I have the Air 2, that list has Air 3rd gen and up. I just checked again and when I should be able to turn spatial audio on while watching HBO Max, I just have the transparency option. I’m a little relieved because I would have felt like a real dummy if I just didn’t have it turned on this entire time.

Ah gotcha. I glossed over the generation number. Sorry!

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Apple Notes is crazy with the stuff they don’t advertise. I suggest watching some YouTube videos to get the most out of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I bought a new iPad Air today, I like the power bump of the mini but I want a bigger screen and the new base model seems nice but the air ticks more boxes for me

Is there a good aftermarket magic keyboard alternative? Paying half the price of the iPad Air for a keyboard seems crazy.

Logitech is the usual recommendation.