Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

My bf gave me a $1000 gift card for Christmas to get an iPad Pro and he laughs every time I say no really the new one is just around the corner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

Duckman2008 posted:

Oh, that was my point , like, that’s so much storage just to get RAM, and even the RAM is likely inconsequential. But still a bummer when I would love to be able to pay like, $50-100 for a 128GB Pro with 16GB RAM.

I know it’s really not possible to buy to future proof but I’m on a 2012 MacBook Pro that I intend to keep using for at least another five years and I hope I can get a decade out of the iPad Pro after not owning one since I sold my ipad 2

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

I had assumed that the m1 Mac announcement was going to literally be an iPad so who knows what they have planned.

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

AlternateAccount posted:

Chrome is still going to be mud after about 10 open tabs isn’t it?

The 1tb and 2tb models have 16gb of ram

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

Wish I knew I couldn’t use my apple gift card to preorder before 15 minutes ago

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

Jose Oquendo posted:

Are you sure? I just bought the new Apple TV and paid for most of it with an Apple gift card.

I went through the iPad purchasing process and it has the option to apply one as well. Sign out of the store on your browser and try again.

Oh wait it’s just with applecare monthly it won’t work???

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

Sock The Great posted:

Did anyone else order on 4/30 and still not receive a tracking number/shipment notification? Got my confirmation email at 8:09 on 4/30 and mine has been “Preparing to ship” since Saturday.

Yep, mine is still on processing

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

there will be some test website for the 10000 backlight leds that will show you which ones are defective in ways that will never be visible during use

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

My preorder wasn’t going to get here for another three weeks so I found 1tb 12.9” for local pickup nearby.

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

i went with silver because i'm only interested in black if they can bring back the old iPhone 5 black

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

Old iPads had bloom too it was just the entire screen

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

is there a way to disable skip intro and autoplay in apple tv plus?

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

I decided to pick up the Magic Keyboard for my new Pro and gat drat I didn’t realize just how nice this thing is. I really am liking this and will probably be using my 2015 MBP less and less now. This makes me even more excited for Capture One to come to the iPad next year.

Happened to me and I was perfectly happy with my laptop before I got this and I haven’t opened it since then.

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

i have a 12.9” ipad that i wasn’t necessarily buying to replace my laptop, but i haven’t really touched it since i got the ipad. that said, if you’re not sure between the two and the screen alone isn’t enough to convince you i would go with the 11”. the 12.9 is honestly just on the verge of being too heavy, especially if you don’t plan to use it with the magic keyboard all the time. i’ve gotten used to it but it really is too heavy to hold in your hands all the time when you use it, so it’s almost always either leaning against my legs or on the magic keyboard

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

Boris Galerkin posted:

Is there a way I can use my iPad or iPhone as a wireless touchpad for my MacBook Pro? I don't need anything fancy like screen doubling. I just wanna move the cursor around when my MacBook is on the table and I'm on my sofa or something to click some boxes here and there. Yes I know a wireless mouse would work but my iPhone/iPad is something I always have with me so that would be easier.

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/touchpad/id297623931

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

TOOT BOOT posted:

It's kinda weird we went to 16:9 displays on computers. It's not really a huge benefit to have a little extra horizontal space for the majority of things computers are used for.

yeah sure if you only ever use one application that fills up the whole screen

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

Wengy posted:

Just ordered a 12.9 M1 Pro as a replacement for my sluggish 2016 Pro. I got the Magic Keyboard (no-brainer IMO), but am hesitant on the Pencil. Should I buy it too down the line or is it more of a gimmick? I’ve never used one.

I have a 12.9 iPad and magic keyboard which I use all the time, I never use the pencil but it’s fun and nice to use when I do. If you’re already hesitant you’re fine.

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

why do you assume everyone is going to be drawing and taking handwritten notes?

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

I’m not taking notes though

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

sourdough posted:

Same. I sometimes use it to scroll instead of my finger, and it's good for hitting the little precision X to close out bad popup ads, but it wasn't really worth the $130 for me.

it’s a cool gadget and I don’t exactly regret buying it, but I think it should be very obvious to most people if they need it and if you’re on the fence you probably don’t. if you aren’t regularly drawing or writing with an actual pencil an Apple Pencil isn’t going to change that

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

The notes app

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

I definitely have the problem with white text on black backgrounds, but I don’t have the issue with video content at least. The iPad is now the best looking display I own and I love looking up hdr videos of people just walking through city streets

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

Is there any way to use iPhone apps that don’t have an iPad version in slideover or something? I can use the weird blown up version if I have to, but I use the iPad in landscape most of the time so it sucks having to pull the iPad off the magic keyboard to use 1 app

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

There should be a place to go in an Apple store to pay money for the thing you are holding in your hands

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

yes but what do i do with this $29 in my hand, just throw it on a table?

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

Jose Oquendo posted:

There is. Every one on the sales floor (so like not the Genius Bar) can check you out. It's pretty quick.

okay and if they are all occupied where do i go to wait for the next available employee

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

Rolo posted:

Is there any way to output from the speakers while inputting from USB C on the pro? I'm using Garage Band to record some USB audio and it picks it up but won't play it until I unplug the cord.

Audiobus will do that but I don’t know if there’s anything built in that will do it also

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

I can’t confirm but I’ll try it when I get home

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

CaptainCaveman posted:

Is there a case for the iPad Mini 6 that can do landscape and portrait and holds the iPad magnetically rather than having it snap into a frame?

I have the ESR Magnetic case and it's pretty good, but for reading books I prefer the Mini in portrait orientation. I also like being able to just pull the iPad off the magnets to get it out of the case rather than popping it in and out of a frame/holder/clips, but all the rotatable cases I've seen so far seem to use those instead of attaching magnetically. (The closest I've seen are some where the iPad fits into a holder that then attaches magnetically to a stand/case.)

seconding this request, I haven’t seen any that work with the current model

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

i got a 12.9” 1 tb pro and a base model mini and i use them both regularly

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

Goodreader

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

I wouldn’t call it a laptop replacement exactly but my 12.9” pro almost immediately became my main computer.