Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004

OH geez. I thought iOS 7 couldn't get uglier. I was wrong :psypop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004
So, the big question for October. Will you be buying a Gold iPad?

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004

That says the Mini may have the A7.. I find that hard to believe and keep the existing Mini price point. Do you think they'll raise the price? I figured the Mini would get like an A6X chip or something.

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004
God I hope the new iPads have a fingerprint sensor. Ever since I got my iPhone 5s, I've been trying to unlock my iPad 3 with my finger.

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004
Looks like we get a live stream today. Yay

http://www.apple.com/apple-events/october-2013/

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004

JazzFlight posted:

Anyone know a live stream that works on Windows computers?
Please don't say http://www.ustream.tv/ltktv because I HATE those guys from the last live stream. They were talking nonstop and covering the stream with their stupid "follow me on twitter" jokes and cut-away shots.

I have seen in the past where people dig into the HTML of the page and pull out the actual stream URL and then put it into VLC. I'm not sure how to figure that out until the stream starts though.

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004
Holy poo poo, the Apple Store is down.

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004
So, it's 9:18pm in California, so do they usually do this things right at midnight? That's quite a long time for me to sit here :f5: ing

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004

gucci void main posted:

This release is going to be a massive gently caress up if they have to do it this way.

Maybe the plan is to sneak it on the site and all the people who are rabid about getting one will be "in the know" and be able to get one, and it'll be sold out by tomorrow morning.

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004
Just ordered my 32GB Silver Retina Mini with the Apple Store App on my iPhone.

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004
I got my Retina Mini I ordered at midnight on the 12th in yesterday. I also got my switch easy canvas for the mini. The switch easy is nice, but there's a couple of things different about it than the canvas I had with my iPad 3rd gen.

For one, instead of the velcro, it has a snap in plastic part of the back case that holds that part shut. It's not as easy to switch it into stand mode now, so that's annoying to me. The other thing is, it doesn't seem to want to stay closed. I'm hoping that this is because the hinge needs to wear some and get more flexible. It's frustrating to set it on your desk and have it not shut (and therefore not go to sleep immediately).

As for the mini itself, it's awesome and everything I've wanted in an iPad (minus touch ID).

I haven't tested mine for image retention. I'll probably do that eventually and if it has it, I'll probably take in it and get it swapped.

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004

echobucket posted:

I got my Retina Mini I ordered at midnight on the 12th in yesterday. I also got my switch easy canvas for the mini. The switch easy is nice, but there's a couple of things different about it than the canvas I had with my iPad 3rd gen.

For one, instead of the velcro, it has a snap in plastic part of the back case that holds that part shut. It's not as easy to switch it into stand mode now, so that's annoying to me. The other thing is, it doesn't seem to want to stay closed. I'm hoping that this is because the hinge needs to wear some and get more flexible. It's frustrating to set it on your desk and have it not shut (and therefore not go to sleep immediately).

As for the mini itself, it's awesome and everything I've wanted in an iPad (minus touch ID).

I haven't tested mine for image retention. I'll probably do that eventually and if it has it, I'll probably take in it and get it swapped.

I just took the mini out of the case and holy crap is it easier to hold in one hand naked. *sigh* Now I'm thinking of sending the canvas back. Anyone have any experience with super thin cases that don't add much weight?

I also just noticed, the Retina Mini has an extra microphone. And the canvas doesn't have a cutout for it. I'm thinking there are many many cases that are missing this cutout.

echobucket fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Nov 20, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004
Sent my Switcheasy Canvas back to Amazon and went and picked up the Apple Leather Smart Case (Product Red) tonight. I love the feel of it, and the fact that my iPad Mini still feels thin in it.