Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
Can I put an existing ebook collection on an iPad? Do I need to use special software for that and does it come with the cables required for this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
I'm not really familiar with Apple release schedules, is there a new Air expected this year? I'm thinking about replacing my Android tablet and the Air looks like the sweet spot between price and performance but the current model is already a year old.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
I'm considering getting an iPad to replace my current Android tablet and I'm wondering if the things I do with my tablet currently would still work and work in the same way:

-blocking ads
-transferring movies onto it from my windows pc for playback outside of wifi
-sending links from my pc to it, something like pushbullet if anyone's familiar with that
-accessing files on my NAS via a file explorer type app

As you can probably tell, I'm completely unfamiliar with Apple products so any input on if and how those things work on iOS would be appreciated.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

Sri.Theo posted:

You can install an adblocker. There are a couple of good options with varying levels of customisation but they don’t work within apps.

So no blocking ads in Youtube or the browser for example?

Sri.Theo posted:

You can use transfer movies via iTunes.

Only through iTunes? I have to install it to copy movies onto it, for playback via for example VLC?

CygnusTM posted:

There are also 3rd party apps for video playback like VLC and Infuse, and also apps for file share access.

Needing 3rd party apps to do it is fine, I was just wondering if it was possible to do at all.

CygnusTM posted:

Looks like no Pushbullet for iOS. The Apple ecosystem has Continuity features for that kind of thing, but it sounds like you don't use anything else Apple. There is Pushover, but I don't think it does everything that Pushbullet does.

Pushover seems fine, all I use Pushbullet for now is to send links to websites I have opened on my desktop to my tablet.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

FCKGW posted:

If you use Firefox on the PC the the Firefox iOS app can share links natively back and forth

Does the Firefox app work well in general or is Safari the best option on iOS? In any case, sounds like me needs are all covered in some way or another, so I'll be picking one up when a deal rolls around. I'm mainly interested in video consumption and some light browsing but I'm used to flagship devices that are pretty fast and responsive, so I figured I'd go with the Air over the base model.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
I'm looking for an app that let's me connect to an SMB share (the Files app does this) and allows me to set a shortcut to a specific folder (the Files app does not do this). Does anyone have a recommendation for this? I just got my first Apple device, so I may very well be missing something obvious either regarding App recommendations or how to use the default Files app.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

CaptainCaveman posted:

In the Files app, navigate to the folder you want, tap and hold on it a moment, and drag it over to Favorites?

Edit: I guess technically, navigate to one folder up from the one you want the shortcut to so you're seeing the folder, not the contents of it.

I tried this but it didn't seem possible, as there was no 'Favorites' on the left hand site. I have since installed the app FE File Explorer app and it does do what I'm looking for.