Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

Will be following this thread closely. I cannot wait to upgrade this iPad 3. Who knows why it's burning at me so much, just feels like its time. I know with Apple, you shouldn't let what is coming next influence your upgrade plans, because something is always coming next, but it feels to me that something new is coming soon enough now waiting is the best option.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

Protocol7 posted:

Yeah, this is what I was referring to.

It's certainly not horrible but it's noticeably slower compared to the new iPad, especially in scrolling scenarios.

I think it's a good thing that I don't know anyone with the new iPad and haven't had a chance to play with one. I promised myself I would keep my 3rd until whatever comes out after the new iPad. I started to feel like I was upgrading just for the sake of upgrading with my iPad, since this is the first upgrade I have skipped since the I got my original. Right now, as long as this one plays KOTOR, displays my Kindle Books and comics, and lets me surf the web I am still very happy with it.

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

Will Apple continue to sell the 4th gen iPad new on their site once the new one goes up? If so, based on past releases, do we have any idea what the price may be? My iPad 3 is still hanging in there, mostly because I only surf and read comics/kindle books on it but a $300 upgrade would be worth it just to get all of my devices back on the same charging cables.

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

Tax return time so I am finally getting another Ipad. Just wanted to check in here real quick to see what the opinions of the Air are. I got bit in the rear end with my last Ipad purchase, it was the 3 and just a few months later it was nearly obsolete, just dont want it to happen with the Air. Also, sorry if this has been asked a few times, I have stayed away from this thread for the last few months since I sold my 3.

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

LmaoTheKid posted:

You didn't really get bit in the rear end with the 3->4, only in terms of not having THE NEWEST GREATEST poo poo. While it was crappy when apple pooped out the 4 only 6 months later it's not like the 3 was a total piece of poo poo. Certainly lasted me a long time until I got my rMini.

Either way, you're still in the first half of the new product cycle and you're not going to be disapointed with the Air or the Retina Mini as both have the 64bit A7 processors and whatever else.

Maybe bit in the rear end was an overstatement, I just meant that some games suffered slow downs and stuttering on the 3 that did not happen on the 4. Regardless, thanks guys.. I went out and got and Air on my lunch break and so far I love it

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

SaturdayKnight posted:

N-th'ing the Air. Coming from a 2, this is the best thing ever. But definitely go 32, it's worth it.

Also, Space Grey with Red Smart Cover supremacy. Any other color combo is incorrect.

drat it, I went space grey and black, I've made a huge mistake.

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

I'm thinking about heading to best buy tomorrow to do a trade in, just wanted to make sure I understand this. If I take in my old iPhone 5 and my air I should be getting about $475 in trade in, then on top of that they will give me a $50 coupon for trading up to the air 2 essentially making a 16gb air 2 cost nothing out of pocket? I wasn't planing on upgrading since I have no problem with my current air but if it's free I don't see a reason not to

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

Lexicon posted:

Isn't it only free because you're surrendering two other devices, each with rather good resale value? It may well be worth doing, but that's an odd definition of free.

Yeah, it was just a thought and I've already talked myself out of it. All I use my air for is awful and reading comics, I do most of my gaming on the 6+. Plus it's nice to have a backup phone in case my wife's finds itself in the toilet again.

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

I changed my mind again and did take advantage of the best buy trade in. It went pretty smooth, I did have to give my fingerprint but whatever. The only issue I had was that they only had gold, so now I'm one of those gold iOS device people. As for the device, this thing weighs nothing and is super speedy. I'm glad I upgraded, I have a feeling I won't need to again for at least 2-3 years.

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

My advice to anyone trying to decide between the air 2 and anything else, just get the air 2.

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

I usually ask before I order, but I just ordered one of the new regular iPads to replace my aging Air 2. Any issues with it? The Air 2 was fine for what I use it for, watching movies and remote playing my PS5 and Xbox, but the battery is garbage now. Also, this new one does have spatial audio support correct?

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

stirlo posted:

I think spatial audio (if we are talking about music) is more about iOS version and what you use to listen With/on.

iPad should work fine ; especially a new one

From Toms Guide

Is the video surround sound thing called something else? That’s what I was asking about, I know it works on my 12 Pro but not the Air 2.

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

jabro posted:

If they are both on the same iPadOS version it should. It’s device agnostic.

Edit: Did you enable it on the Air?

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT211775

I have the Air 2, that list has Air 3rd gen and up. I just checked again and when I should be able to turn spatial audio on while watching HBO Max, I just have the transparency option. I’m a little relieved because I would have felt like a real dummy if I just didn’t have it turned on this entire time.

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

Are new models available in store? I tried to buy the new regular iPad and it was given a shipping date of like mid august. I cancelled and used that money for a steam deck instead. Guess I’ll still be rocking my Air 2 for the time being. Plus, I did get one of this years Kindle 10 plus for less than a hundred due my last year model kindle 8 pretty much dying a few days out of warranty. It’s pretty good one you use that firebox app (I think that the name of it) to remove all the Amazon bloat from it and get play store working.

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

Is this a good time to buy an iPad or are we waiting on a new release soon? I have to upgrade my Air 2 because between the battery and 16 gb space it is quickly becoming unusable. I don’t need the newest model, just recommendations for the best, affordable one that I can read comics, stream video, and some gaming on. I’m mostly playing Apple Arcade games but have baldurs gate that I have been waiting to try.

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

Ok thanks, so the Air is the way to go over the cheaper base one and mini? Not sure how comics would look on the mini so that was probably not an option regardless. Also, I just looked it up and didn’t realize I’ve had this one since 2014. I would say that I got my money out of it and hope whatever I buy lasts a similar time.

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

I’m glad I checked again before I placed my order. Ended up getting a base ordered from Costco for $10 cheaper than the Apple Store. For some reason my estimated delivery date from Apple was the end of March, Costco has it here on Jan 31. Thanks again for the help.

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

The Gunslinger posted:

Also speakers on both sides. Most of the time I use airpods now because this bugs me so much, even just sitting by myself at home. The base iPad is still the better value in my opinion but there are definitely tradeoffs.

I think the savings is worth it for what I plan on using it for. My gaming is going to be Apple Arcade and maybe streaming either from Xbox or geforce now, both using a controller. The main thing for me was always going to be comics since Im subscribed to both the DC and Marvel service, so the extra screen space was what sold it. Couldn’t justify the price for the air, and especially pro, for any of those. Just like every other phone/tablet I’ve owned it will also spend a majority of its time lurking these here forums, don’t need any fancier display or speakers for that. And if a new air comes out soon that I want, this will defiantly have a higher resell value than my air 2. I was quoted $90 from Best Buy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

Arivia posted:

I don't know how super justifiable it is but I can tell you one thing - full spreads or weird panel arrangements look GREAT on the 12.9" pro

I see it the same way a guy I knew in college treated beer. He would only drink natural light, no matter what we offered or how many times we explained how poo poo what he was drinking was, he would stick to it. His explanation was that if he ever tried something better he wouldn’t be able to go back to natty and would end up spending more money. Standard size iPads are my natty light and as long as I don’t experience the bigger better screens I can be happy sticking to what I have.