Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Fry's is doing a $100 gift card with any iPad Air purchase right now.

http://www.frys.com/ads/page42

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Space Racist posted:

I will say I'm blown away that the original mini is still for sale. I guess someone out there must be buying them, but the notion that the A5 is going to be supported another year is crazy.

Original iPad mini looking real good as a kids tablet if you want to stay in the iOS ecosystem.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Just bought a mini 2 to replace my aging iPad 3. Gonna be so glad to finally be rid of the 30 pin connectors.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I replaced most of my Apple cables with Amazon basics ones and it's much better.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Fallorn posted:

I have a stupid 32gb Ipad if I was to upgrade it would be to an Ipad air? What happened to regular big ipad.

iPad Air is regular big iPad. Air is 5th gen, Air 2 is 6th gen.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Yeah the Air 2 was a massive bump over the original Air. With retailers already clearing out stock with $100 off discounts it probably won't make much difference if you pick one up before or after the refresh.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Thwomp posted:

I'm just real confused by Apple and their iPad lineup. I have an iPad 3rd Gen and I'd consider an upgrade but 1) The Air 2 is almost two years old and 2) the smaller Pro has features I don't really need (Pencil/Smart Connector support).

The Air 2 skipped a yearly upgrade and is now due for one, especially after the 9.3" Pro announcement. But we probably won't see anything until the fall. If the current rumors are true that the new iPhones are getting newer connectors, it's probably best for me to just wait and see if those changes appear (since I don't need an upgrade immediately) and then see if they migrate to new Air 3s/mini 5s.

Apple is probably moving away from a yearly update cycle for the iPad's since people don't update yearly for those.

Also Apple isn't moving away from lightning connectors anytime soon.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Yeah, Apple is still the biggest brand but their market share slipped to about 30% now.

http://www.statista.com/statistics/276635/market-share-held-by-tablet-vendors/

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

If you can find a local Walmart near you with stock, they're clearancing the iPad Mini 3 16gb down to $150

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Apple-iPad-mini-3-16GB-Wi-Fi/37650848

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

awesome-express posted:

I just got the $329/£339 iPad delivered today. It's thicker and heavier than the iPad Air 2 and the chamfered edges are no longer polished to be shiny.

I've previously owned 2 iPad Air 2s and feel like this one is a bit of a downgrade.

It is a downgrade. That's why it's $170 cheaper.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I'm looking to sell my 2012 rMBP and get an iPad Pro instead. Right now it would be for browsing, media consumption, and reading textbook material for an online school. I have a Mac Pro at home for any real heavy lifting.

I'm looking at the 9.7" 128gb Refurb on Apple's site for $530 but I keep hearing everyone go on and on about the upgraded screen and increased RAM on the 10.5". Going for the 256gb there would be another nearly $300.

Thoughts? I don't really have a reference point so I can't say if I would even want or need the other features the 10.5" has. Or is this something that making the jump to the 10.5" is going to get me a much longer life out of it?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I've owned a couple iPads, the last one I used was the iPad 3. My kids have a Mini 4 and iPad Air 1. I was using the Air 1 this morning for reading some school stuff which is what prompted me to consider ditching the laptop finally.

I could probably get by with the 64gb version actually, I just know I don't want the 32gb.

Maybe I'll wait until they hit the refurb store. It's been 90 days so they should be showing up pretty soon.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I bit the bullet and bought the 10.5" 256gb iPad Pro this morning w/ Smart Keyboard and holy smoke this thing is incredible

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Watched Glow in HDR on the 10.5 this morning as it very pretty.

Also I just discovered that the Smart Keyboard has a MacOS style alt-tab whaaaaaaat

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

japtor posted:

Otherwise if you hold down the command key long enough it (should) pop up an overlay showing available shortcuts within the current app. Maybe not all of them but it’s something.

:aaaaa:

I'm learning so much!

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

GobiasIndustries posted:

Also wtf I can't swipe up to get to the pause menu now if I'm listening to music or a podcast, I've gotta do it twice? This is...not a good feature.

e: double-clicking the home button is a fairly meh workaround imo. sorry for venting, this just seems like they made a bunch of changes for the sake of change.

You don't have to swipe twice, just swipe up further

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Best Buy has the iPad pros on sale so if you're looking to upgrade now would be a good time. 10.5" and 12.9" are bth $100 off. 9.7" w/ cellular is $479. Open box models save another $70 on some models.

Last years 12.9" was also marked down to $550 https://www.bestbuy.com/site/promo/ipad-pro-20170929

FCKGW fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Sep 30, 2017

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

[quote="“ethanol”" post="“477172926”"]
But why get a $170 keyboard when any $30 Bluetooth one works
[/quote]

The Bluetooth one isn't built into my Smart Cover

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

[quote="“carry on then”" post="“477173045”"]
There would be an ongoing class action lawsuit against Amazon if it didn’t.
[/quote]

Fire tablet users are in an abusive relationship

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

KingKapalone posted:

If I have a bunch of mkv files and want to put them on my girlfriend's iPad for a flight:

1. what format should they be in?
2. what player would be needed?
3. can I just navigate to my NAS and drag them over somehow?

I'm not an iPad or iPhone owner, so don't know much about iOS.

Endless Mike posted:

If you have a Mac, spend money on Waltr and just dump them directly.

I was just about to post this. The app seems like one of those you'd see on late night infomercials, but it's really an amazingly simple piece of software. You plug in your iOS device and drag them into the interface window. It will convert, download, and put them into the default iOS videos app. It works really fast and I use it all the time to load up videos on the kid's iPads for long car trips. It works on Windows PCs now too, used to be MacOS only.

https://softorino.com/waltr/

The original Waltr software is $20 and will do everything you want. There's a Waltr2 but as far as I can tell all they added was WiFi sync and doubled the price.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

jackhunter64 posted:

nPlayer for MKVs, always. Drag and drop from a computer, or it also supports network storage.

https://itunes.apple.com/app/apple-store/id539397400?mt=8

you don't understand, he doesn't want to pay for software that solves the exact problem he has

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

TraderStav posted:

Is there a knock-off of the Smart Cover for the Air 2? I'm looking to keep the profile as slim as possible and just need something that'll give the iPad something to sit upright. The smart cover would be perfect, but not looking at spending $40 on one.

Thanks in advance!

I have a spare one that I’m not using. You can have it for cost of shipping. It’s space grey. PM me your details and I’ll send it out.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

What’s your budget? There’s a few deals this Black Friday you should be able to capitalize on.

iPad 5 (current) is going to be $250 at a bunch of stores.
iPad mini is going to be down to $300 at a couple places.
iPad Pro 10.5 was down to $500 yesterday at Sam’s Club, may pop back up soon.

I would say either get the iPad 5 or iPad Pro. The mini is getting old and may not survive the next round of refreshes.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I was deciding between the 9.7” and 10.5” for a while. The 9.7” has 2gb of ram while the 10.5” has 4gb. The ProMotion screen is very nice in-person, and a big improvement if you use the Apple pen. Also the base storage was doubled from 32gb to 64gb so your entry point has twice the storage as well.

I’d say if you can find a 10.5” for $499 on Black Friday, get one of those. $70 for double the ram, double the storage and a better screen is well worth it. If not, the 9.7” is still a great unit.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

smr posted:

Whoops; I thought he was asking about Pocket Casts, not the garbage default app.

As to Overcast... man, I have paid for that app and everything, but I just bounce off of it HARD. It's crap. It struggles with keeping album art for my podcasts, the UI is a dog's breakfast, I just do not get the hivemind on it. I'll take Pocket Casts all day every day (and they have a much better web client as well).

it's a good app, brent

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

If you have a Microcenter near you, they have the iPad Pros for $500 right now. In-store only, so pickup or get someone to price match.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Depths posted:

is major lag when opening the notification bar on the 10.5 normal?

I’m having the same issue. I think something in the notification shade is not rendering immediately and causing the delay.

I haven’t seen it since I updated to 11.1.2 though.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

The ProMotion is so good I’ll just spend hours paging between the home screen.

Also the speakers own bones.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

ufarn posted:

Any good note/draw apps now that Paper has been gimped for a freemium model?

I was going to tell you to just pay for the app if it's that useful to you but $6/mo for a drawing app is :laffo:

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

eddiewalker posted:

It’s everywhere there’s a Microcenter. In store only, limited stock.

Target’s $539 was a little cheaper last week when you factor sales tax and redcard, but that deals over.

Starting on 12/10, Target will have them back on sale at $529 or $503.50 w/ Red card

128gb mini on sale too

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

jokes posted:

I was just worried because they're still like $400 still and he might as well wait if he doesn't need a tablet today.

Best Buy has the iPad Mini 4 for $275 right now, lowest they've ever been from them. If you have an Amex, there's a $25 off $250+ offer at BB too.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/apple-ipad-mini-4-wi-fi-128gb-space-gray/4265700.p

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

jokes posted:

Sold out? drat.

You can try price matching at Target.

Target will have them at $299 - 5% Red card in Sunday's Ad as well.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

GobiasIndustries posted:

Last night I updated my Air 2 to 11.2.1 and after the update when I tried to unlock it went into a screen I'd never seen before that said 'Attempting Data Recovery'. It scared the poo poo out of me but after it completed it seems like everything is fine. What exactly happened there?

I just had this happen to my iPhone today. Only ill effect was that Apple Pay stopped working until I restarted it.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Best Buy has the iPad Pro 10.5” for $100 off the 64gb and $125 off the 256gb this weekend so now if a good time to buy.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

We’re in that sweet spot halfway through the cycle where the iPad is still pretty new but there are also a bunch of sales going on juice the numbers a bit and keep momentum rolling.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Question Mark Mound posted:

How much better are the iPad smart covers/cases vs the £10 ones you can get off Amazon? I've always only ever used cheap cases for my iPad and can't really work out what would make the Apple ones better.

My biggest problem with the cheap knock off smart cases is that they often use a cheap cardboard or thin plastic insert for the flaps and it’s hard as hell to find out that actually sits flush and doesn’t curl or bow out at the edges.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Sexual Aluminum posted:

I recently updated my iPad Pro and now embedded gifs on SA don’t work. Help?

Safari or Awful app?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Is Notability still the go-to note taking/ PDF annotation app? It’s pretty old at this point and the reviews are in the 3s now.

I have OneNote but I can’t get used to the interface and PDF annotation kinda sucks

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

BGrifter posted:

I can only imagine what a horror show off brand AirPods must be.

You can find out for only $6.67! Or $18 if you want the pair!

http://www.dx.com/p/hbq-i7-mini-fashion-bluetooth-wireless-stereo-single-earphone-white-469521

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I love the new App Store