Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

webmeister posted:

If we're talking about mind-blowing gesture shortcuts, I only discovered the four-finger swipe gesture last week :aaaaa:
What about the four-finger pinch to go back to the springboard? Or the swipe-up to bring up the taskbar?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
So an iPad 4 is £480 and I could probably sell my iPad 3 for £350. Is the difference between the two big enough to justify the extra £130? I know that I'd really like AirDrop, but how much has it really improved outside of that? Especially since I'd probably fork out the extra money and go with the £560 64GB model instead.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

FlashBangBob posted:

Just note that a new 10 inch iPad that looks like the iPad Mini is going to be coming out in 3 months. If you can hold off that long. The iPad 4 resell prices are going to continue to fall.
Have they actually announced one yet? I was hoping one might show up at WWDC so I could skip the 4th gen and go straight for that.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
I very rarely achieve anything of any value for work or for making the world the better place on my iPad. I love it.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Not sure if this is really the right place to ask this, but are there any portable printers available that'll work with iPads yet? The sales guys in my company are currently using decrepit old netbooks and old portable printers when out on the road and needing to print sales invoices. Management are pushing to move them onto iPads but they still need the ability to print stuff out - but I can't find anything portable that they can take out on the road that is AirPrint compatible.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
If the new main line iPad is lighter but with the same battery life, I would be very easily convinced to upgrade from my iPad 3. Switching to all-Lightning will be so handy too!

I haven't had any reason performance problems with either my iPad or iPhone 5 so I'm excited to see if there's any crazy new feature on either new device which might push me over the edge into wanting a new one.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
I've installed iOS 7 and after spending the day looking through every menu and updating then running every app to see the changes my battery had drained what the gently caress Apple is screwing us again.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Hell yeah, time to sell my iPad 3 and get those lovely blurred backgrounds on iOS 7!

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
I've had to set up a couple of iPads in my workplace and connected them to their Exchange accounts. The users have been telling me that now they can't access the internet (Safari etc.) on their home or hotel wifi, just while in the company's network.

Is that normal for iPads on Exchange? What needs to be changed to allow their iPads to access any network?

Edit: okay got more info, apparently it's more just a case of when Safari was launched, the users were asked for their iCloud password for some reason. I don't think it's anything to do with Exchange. We're trying to avoid letting these users know the iCloud password because they'd be the kind to buy apps and IAPs without even knowing about it.

Question Mark Mound fucked around with this message at 09:09 on Oct 17, 2013

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
I'm sure I saw a few games, namely Bastion, add in controller support when iOS 7 hit. I'm waiting to see if other big games like the Final Fantasy titles etc get support before I go looking for hardware though.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
They shouldn't be triple the size, but all wallpapers will be zoomed in a bit to allow for the parallax effect on your home and lock screens.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Performance wise the 3 is pretty much fine except for wallpaper changing, it just lacks the cool glass effect for transparencies. My only legit reasons for upgrading to an Air are for the sake of AirDrop between it and my iPhone and the drop in weight.

Incidentally, they're not doing pre-orders at all for it in the UK, are they? What time on 1st November are they likely to release website orders? As much as I want one, taking a day off work to queue outside the Apple Store in Belfast seems a little silly.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Wengy posted:

Eh, you guys are probably right. Might as well sit out this revision and try not to get too frustrated with my 3. I think I'm gonna upgrade all my iOS devices next year, since I've already decided to pass on the 5S too.
I'm going the opposite route, alternating between iPhone upgrade year and iPad upgrade year - so once a year I have a new toy! :)

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
^^^ Thanks!

ShadowFox1001 posted:

After seeing the introduction of the retina Mini, I became more interested in getting an iPad. However, having an iPhone, I don't see how much of a different experience I'd have on an iPad other than the fact that the screen is bigger. I assume most people in this thread own both. What is the benefit of having both?
If you're browsing the internet a lot away from a full PC, the screen real estate is huge bonus compared to an iPhone. Other than that, I would use it a lot for watching movies/TV shows in bed and for reading articles. It's a perfect toilet companion. :c00lbutt:

Plus if you want to slack off in work, using a phone looks like you're texting friends, whereas holding an iPad looks like you're a savvy professional with important work to do.

edit: Also, if you have both, you can be the do the most "white people" thing in the world, and use your expensive Apple electronics products to make a digital ukulele. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdPRhBtO4IA

Question Mark Mound fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Oct 23, 2013

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
I sold my laptop a few months after I got my iPad. I think a PC for tasks you really gotta focus on like media editing or "core" games, a tablet for chilling out and checking Facebook on the couch and a phone for having with you anyway is the perfect combination for computer stuff.

Whenever I bought my iPad, on my way home before switching it on I got some buyer's remorse - assuming that I had blown hundreds of pounds on a gimmicky gadget that I'll get bored of. I don't think I've ever been more wrong about a purchase my whole life. Except for the time I bought Steel Battalion on the Xbox... ouch.

Nihiliste posted:

I actually do use my iPad for work. I cover tech news, and as we speak my iPad is propped up on a desk corner with Pulse running. Speaking of which, I wish Pulse/LinkedIn would get their act together and fix the crashes the app has under iOS 7.
iPads are great for doing work, which is why they're amazing for NOT doing work. ;)

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
I haven't had a chance to go to an Apple Store, but have any of them put iPad Air cases on display yet? I'm curious to know if the cases for the Air still have that rock-hard and sharp edge to their smartcovers/cases.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
I'm trying to plan out what case I'm going to get for my iPad Air and the Kavaj range look pretty good.

Obviously people haven't had time with the Air yet to see if it's a good fit, but has anyone bought one of their cases for the iPad 3 or 4 and can offer an opinion on them?

There's 3 styles, not sure which I'd prefer - but they all have dumb names.
"Berlin" - http://www.amazon.co.uk/KAVAJ-leather-cover-Berlin-Apple/dp/B00G335A58/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1383056618&sr=8-2&keywords=ipad+air+kavaj
"London" - http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00G335E9K/ref=noref?ie=UTF8&psc=1&s=computers
"Hamburg" - http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00G335BJI/ref=noref?ie=UTF8&psc=1&s=computers

edit: Hmm, or the Belkin Lapstand could be handy too when it's out in the UK - http://www.belkin.com/us/F7N065-Belkin/p/P-F7N065%3bjsessionid=C623FBBC994959087621557013497814/

Question Mark Mound fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Oct 29, 2013

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Paradoxish posted:

It's not a slight difference, although that might be difficult to realize if you've never used one before. Even the weight difference between a 2 and a 3/4 is very noticeable, and that's tiny by comparison. The Air is looking to be a much better device in every way that matters.
Given that my only iPad is a 3 and seeing how much it's been poo poo on generally despite me absolutely loving it, I am crazy excited about picking up an Air this Friday.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Anyone know yet if Apple will allow collect-in-store for online orders in the UK? I'm ordering mine online after midnight tonight but I'll be in town on Friday anyway so it'd be neat to pick it up without a risk of them being sold out.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Any word on the Smart Cases? Does the front cover's corners still have those really solid/sharpish edges?

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Holy poo poo this thing is light. It's the first time I've ever picked up a product on the tables and thought "is this a hollow display model?" before I turned on the screen.

Decided not to go with the Smart Case because gently caress those are expensive. I hate having the iPad nude in my bag, though. There were a few I linked to earlier in the thread but they're not out 'til the 21st of November. Has anyone picked up any really lightweight cases yet that let you prop the device up for viewing that they can recommend?

Edging towards a Belkin Lapstand, they seems like a neat gimmick and it'd be nice to not always need a desk.

Question Mark Mound fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Nov 1, 2013

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

James Polk posted:

Badly want the Air, but it'd primarily be for writing and there haven't been any keyboard cases announced for the new form factor yet.

Does anyone remember how long it took keyboard cases to start to come out for the Mini last year?
There's at least one coming out on a few days: http://www.amazon.co.uk/MOFRED%C2%A...r+keyboard+case

edit: Okay, Belkin are coming out with their cases now. Requesting goon tablet-fashion advice!
What do you think looks nicer between Charcoal and Red here? http://www.belkin.com/uk/F7N065-Belkin/p/F7N065B2C00/
Alternatively, this comes in a "Stone" colour but isn't out yet: http://www.belkin.com/uk/F7N061-Belkin/p/P-F7N061/

Also, that last one is microfiber vs twill, will there be a noticeable difference in texture that would be worth the extra £5 do y'all think?

edit2: Arrrgh, but maybe a form-fitting case might be better?! :( http://www.belkin.com/uk/F7N063-Belkin/p/F7N063B2C01/
This was a much harder decision than whether or not I should actually buy the iPad Air or not.

Question Mark Mound fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Nov 2, 2013

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Actions for iPad is free today! :dance:
http://appshopper.com/productivity/actions-for-ipad

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

randyest posted:

Something else I just noticed about the air -- the speaker is loud as hell. On our pads 1, 2, and 3 without using headphones I'd max the volume and cup my hand to project the sound forward. With the air 75% loudness is plenty loud without hand-cupping.

It's just too loud at 100%.
The volume really is something I didn't expect. I kinda wish the speakers had been moved somewhere else, though, since if I'm holding it landscape I find my hand covering the speakers a bit - especially if I'm playing a game on it. Although I suppose I really should just stick some headphones in instead.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Is it just me or does Chrome on the iPad need to refresh way more often than Safari?

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Just follow the included directions (there should be a YouTube video somewhere on their site too) and you'll be fine. I've applied them to like 5 different iPads and now and they've all turned out great. Do your best to get the big bubbles (the ones you can actually feel) and then over the next 48 hours the little ones will just disappear.
Can those skins be easily removed a couple of years down the line when I sell the iPad for the new one?

I've got a slim case on preorder but adding any bulk at all to the Air feels like a crime!

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
I usually only have about 3 or 4 tabs at a time, admittedly, but I rarely notice tab refreshing to be that bad unless I've gone off and played a game that really pushes things then gone back to Safari or if I haven't used it in a day or two.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Stupid question, but are you definitely signed in to the same Apple ID for the App Store?

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Xabi posted:

Is there a way to prevent Skype messages from showing when I'm on the home screen or in other apps? Don't want my mother to see my saucy chats whenever I'm showing her something on the iPad.
In Settings > Notifications there'll most likely be options to switch off banner and pop up notifications for Skype.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

D-Sho Qub posted:

You should be able to use Reflector to AirPlay to your computer. I'm not sure if it supports recording natively but having the video output mirrored to your computer should make it easier.

http://www.airsquirrels.com/reflector/
I'm sure I heard of a few free AirPlay servers existing before. Did they all get shut down?

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Pegnose Pete posted:

Just picked up the new iPad mini. I've had my eye on it for a while. Always been an android guy so this is literally my first iOS experience.

I skipped the smart cover based on the feedback over the last few pages, but couldn't find any advice on putting a screen protector on the thing. Are there any that are more recommended than others?
The most recommended screen protector is not having one at all. iPad screens are solid as hell and it takes a lot to scratch them.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Laserface posted:

Try using an android device and you won't find it slow anymore.
I'd argue against Apple fanboyism and say that any new Android devices that friends have shown off to me seem about as snappy as an iPhone/iPad, but the amount of other people who buy low-end Android stuff because it's cheap really still makes me think of it as a horrendously sluggish OS. I guess it's one of those cases of "blame the hardware for 90% of devices."

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

eddiewalker posted:

VLC is kind of a joke on iOS.

I'm by no means a power user and just use it to watch the occasional movie I've ripped from a DVD. What makes it a joke?

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

eddiewalker posted:

It spent so long pulled from the App Store that when it finally made a Second Coming, everyone made such a big deal about it.

Yet, it didn't really do anything the built-in player couldn't do except play h264 video in mkv containers and a little streaming.

Off the top of my head: no gestures, no over-volume support, no real folder support... Things desktop-VLC and the pay-players have had forever that are really handy on a tablet.

Did it get better? I paid $4 and never looked back.
I can swipe left and right to skip 30sec in the video (up and down changes brightness) and folders seem to work just fine for me. Other than over volume I'm not sure what else makes it a joke.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
On holiday I picked up a lovely iPhone case which was plastic with a wooden panel on the back. After a bit of googling I found the same company is selling other iPhone cases on Amazon but they don't seem to have anything for iPads. Does anyone know of wooden iPad Air cases that are pretty slim (plastic body with wooden panel would be fine, and probably better)? Everything I've found online so far looks hella bulky.

Shipping to UK much preferred!

edit: Not adding a lot of bulk to the sides would be nice. Those cases that only add about 1-2mm to the height/width of the tablet are fantastic for not making it too large.

Question Mark Mound fucked around with this message at 12:33 on Jul 4, 2014

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Facepalm Ranger posted:

I had a complete wooden iphone case for a while for my 4S. Bulky, yes. Protactive and hella awesome and blew everyone's mind, yes.

I've come into a position where I can save £75 a week, and I'm considering getting an 64gb ipad mini or an air after 6 weeks. I have some questions that hopefully you lovely people can help me with;

concerning them in general:
1. If I have an iphone and can use it for tethering to get a signal, is there any point to getting a cellular one?

2. I have an ipad 3 currently (one before lightning pin). whats the main difference between the generations?

Concerning the mini:
1. Is it too small? I like to read comics/book/web pages often on my ipad. Has any ipad mini users use theirs similarly and felt them wanted a bigger screen?

thanks in advance lovely people. And I know I could google, but I like conversing!
I've found that the extra bulk for cases generally isn't worth it for me since I don't drop my stuff often enough. Plus if the next iPhone is as big as people are saying, I need a case to be slim as hell for that!

Tethering an iPad to an iPhone works perfectly so the only thing you'd need to worry about would be data usage (which would be an issue anyway) or your phone's battery life, since it obviously adds a bit of extra drain. I'd always recommend anyone to buy one of those portable USB battery packs if they're using their devices a lot. As long as your iPhone isn't dead and you always have it with you, paying for another contract just for your iPad seems a bit unnecessary.

The difference between the 3 and the Air is the weight (HUGE difference), overall size of the device (screen size is the same), new connectors and generally the Air has WAY more grunt behind its hardware so nothing ever slows down the way it did on the 3.

Personally, the Mini seemed a tad too small for me but it's one of those things where everyone will have a different preference. Do you have friends with similarly sized tablets that you could borrow for a few hours and try reading comics or browsing the net on? I should point out that I haven't gotten around to using a Retina Mini yet, though. My biggest gripe with the original Mini was the screen resolution but not quite up to snuff after being used to iPhone 4+ and iPad 3+. Things will definitely be much more readable than they were but again - personal preference.

Question Mark Mound fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Jul 4, 2014

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
I'm having a bit of trouble with a work colleague's iPad 2 at the moment. I've set up their Exchange emails a while back which seemed to connect and be working okay - but as of today occasionally it will come up saying that it cannot connect to the server. Flicking airplane mode on and off seems to fix this for a while. It doesn't seem to be a wifi issue since Safari works just fine when the problem occurs, and no other devices are having the same problem.

Anything I should be looking out for?

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

wintermuteCF posted:

I'm assuming you're an Exchange admin - if you're not, just suggest this to whoever is (or do it yourself from OWA if you have permissions). Delete the ActiveSync relationship from the Exchange Management Console, then delete the setup on the iPad. Then, recreate it.
I'm the Exchange admin in so much as I've been left in charge of looking after it with pretty much no training or knowledge of what I'm doing. Basically a good old fashioned delete and recreate, then?

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

The Silver Snail posted:

Hello, I need some information. Recently my ipad came up missing after my roommate had some houseguests stay over for a few days. I'm suspecting that they may have taken it, but I need evidence. The two resources I could use acquire remote proof are my iTunes account, and my roommate's iPhone, which has my iPad as a contact. Is there any way I can use these two things to prove that the ipad is still being used, and not just lost in my home somewhere? i.e, does sending a message to an idevice that's drained its battery show up differently on the sender's device? Any information would be helpful, I did not use my ipad heavily, so I'm somewhat deficient in knowing what may or may not be an option. Thanks in advance.
If you login to your iTunes account on https://www.icloud.com there'll be an option called "Find My iPhone" - ignore the name, iPads are covered too. If your iPad is still connected to wifi (or is a cellular one) then you can see its last known location and will be able to remotely lock it and make it start beeping the next time it gets an internet connection so long as it hasn't been completely wiped.

When you go in to "Find My iPhone", click "All Devices" at the top then your iPad's name. From there a window will pop up that lets you play a sound, lock it, or wipe it remotely.

Question Mark Mound fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Sep 7, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
I've installed the iOS 8 GM on my iPhone and it's working just fine - but when I try to install the iPad version of the GM to my iPad Air, it sits on "Extracting software..." with no movement on the progress bar and just seems to do nothing. Anyone else having this problem?