Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Time for annual Holiday Picture!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Super Grocery Kart posted:

Time for annual Holiday Picture!

D'aaaawwwwwgs :3:

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

I kinda wanna do one of those cheesy late 80s early 90s Napoleon Dynamite gaudy portraits with the laser show background for a Xmas card

Pup and I then a side portrait of him staring at stars and poo poo in the corner

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

Hey guys - hug your pets a little tighter. I got a message from a friend of mine who had to put down her best friend, a corgi named Frankie, earlier today. They discovered that he had a malignant tumor they were unaware of that must have ruptured. Had to put him down.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
Rest in peace, Frankie. Good dogge. :smith:

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

Naked Bear posted:

Rest in peace, Frankie. Good dogge. :smith:

Arishtat
Jan 2, 2011

Yo dad quit sticking your camera in my face and give me the cookie you promised!

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
PHOTOBOMB!!!!!!!

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Jay Rust posted:

8 am: fluff

4 pm: gruff

Wed, 11 am: ruff

(Infection around the base of the tail caused by overlicking :()

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop
I put in an application for a Great Dane rescue site this morning. Bella was a great dog and irreplaceable. She had a great life with us and I want to try and give that to a new pal.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
Guys from HUHA came around to work with their latest trained airport dogs - bought one of everything. No-kill shelters are my no-kill poo poo.

Wish I'd taken photos, there was a good fuckin' dog.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Writer Cath posted:

I put in an application for a Great Dane rescue site this morning. Bella was a great dog and irreplaceable. She had a great life with us and I want to try and give that to a new pal.

That's fantastic news, I hope it works out!

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

I love this dog so much. Please tell he she's good, from me.

Edit vvvvv done, and done vvvv. Since her older sister’s passing, Vivi has stepped up big time to cuddle mom and pops in bed at night. She’ll never quite fill Benny’s shoes perfectly in that department, but she’s doing her best and she’s fuckin killing it.

Nerdrock fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Dec 8, 2017

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.

Nerdrock posted:

I love this dog so much. Please tell he she's good, from me.

Thanks! I will let Luna know she is nerdrock approved but you have to give Vivi pets courtesy of me

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Writer Cath posted:

Happy to hear. There’s no “standard” period of time with mourning, even though some people want to associate one. If it feels right and is what you truly want then go with it.

PenisMonkey
Apr 30, 2004

Be gentally.

ComfyPants
Mar 20, 2002

Found on Youtube, doggo's first snowfall https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s6IUyhVgToc

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

zeris pls make this the gip background

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

Suicide Watch
Sep 8, 2009
How many of you guys have dogs, and what are you living and work situations like? I'm thinking of adopting and of course will likely start by fostering but working full-time with a 40 minute commute eats a huge portion of my day and I'm concerned I can't be there for even an adult dog. Thoughts?

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
I'm high on cough syrup first cold of the season hell yeah

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

What's a good smaller dog breed that can keep up on day hikes.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

45 ACP CURES NAZIS posted:

any that can fit on a baby carrier or baby carriage

ElMaligno fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Dec 8, 2017

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

45 ACP CURES NAZIS posted:

What weight range we talking? Generally only the bigger dogs are "ok" hikers. Outside of literal mountain dogs they are not the best hikers, especially the smaller they get. I by no means am trying to throw shade your way but every year around here a few dogs die on a particular trail because people disregard the heat and think their dog will be fine since they'd done it 50 times befroe

Suicide Watch posted:

How many of you guys have dogs, and what are you living and work situations like? I'm thinking of adopting and of course will likely start by fostering but working full-time with a 40 minute commute eats a huge portion of my day and I'm concerned I can't be there for even an adult dog. Thoughts?

I mean, lotta work goes into simply being separated from your dog, so fostering before you actually adopt seems kind of silly; you really never know what you are going to get. Rescues do often need "transporters," people to shuffle dogs between adoption events etc, or people to run said events.

Anyway, you working 8 hours? Factoring in your commute, I'd say right around 9-10 hours is on the cusp of how long you can leave a dog inside. I assume you'd be leaving the dog inside your place? Anything after that and you really need a dog walker at the bare minimum. I have left my pup for almost 13 hours before--not by choice--and he did just fine. Didn't even potty inside. That said, it was a long time coming. Separation anxiety can be a huge loving pain. There is nothing that can ruin your day more than knowing that your dog is at home incessantly whining/crying/tearing poo poo apart. Sometimes you just gotta leave them, and yeah, not all dogs ease into it without a fuss.

Right, so adopting you generally get an older dog, which is good. Dogs are A LOT of loving work. Way more than I expected. Puppies are an insane amount of more work. Honestly I don't recommend a puppy for anyone that cannot have someone with it nearly 24/7 for poo poo, at least 3-6 months? Idk. I believe around six months they can old it for six hours, 7 months seven hours, etc. But before six months it is much shorter I just checked online, they can hold it for an hour every month of age up until eight. So ideally you'd want an older dog is what I'm getting at.

Honestly though? It 's always possible, it's just a matter of how much time you have open; do you want to put in the work? Most people that have to re-home dogs for behavioral reasons do not exercise said dog. Say what you want about Cesar Millan, he got people to really accept the fact that dogs NEED exercise and stimulation. Somehow this just seemingly wasn't in anyone's head through the 90s--then again, people generally let their dogs roam much more freely then.

It was rough. but I managed. I'd have to run him at about 5:30 AM--thankfully live near a field---then be willing to run him for about an hour when I got back around 6-7 PM. Anything closer to 12 I had him with someone the whole time. The latter is of course nice, because you don't have to run them when you get home and can more easily jump right into chill mode.

People that wake up, let their dog out to piss, feed it, then take off for 8-10 hours suck. Sorry but a brisk 20 min walk once a day isn't enough when you live in your 500 square foott apartment.

My point? Exercise ur loving dog I don't care what breed it is. If I don't go through my daily routine with pup he'll go nuts and get a second wind around 10/11 PM for an hour or two. Also I free feed, but he won't touch food OR water if I am gone. Doesn't matter how long. I subjectively attribute this to separation stress, which I hope will get better. I asked the vet the idiotic question with my concern and she sort of rolled her eyes at me "he's going to drink water before he dies."

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 09:35 on Dec 8, 2017

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

also here's a random video I took for whatever reason and uploaded the other day but I forgot to post here

nothing special, pup playing with a pup

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-4JpijDEak

action shot at :35 when he literally rolls over the other pup lmao

PenisMonkey
Apr 30, 2004

Be gentally.
Found a couple of couch monkeys here.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof
From ingur:

https://i.imgur.com/FVAXvAt.gifv

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!
And as always: Kill Hitler.

Accompanying Sound Track: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=izQsgE0L450

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

PET AND RUB

PenisMonkey
Apr 30, 2004

Be gentally.
PANDY’S FIRST SNOW. She actually doesn’t give a poo poo about it. Still just runs around and ignores it.

https://youtu.be/3ZXG0gkOsuE

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.

DOGGOS ARE THE BEST! THAT MEANS THEY GET BIG PETS

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Tuggin’ Time!

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

YOU ARE HUGE, THAT MEANS YOU HAVE A HUGE BELLY. SCRITCH AND SCRATCH.

At this particular moment in time I don't believe I have a healthier or more deeply-felt respect for any creature in the universe than this here cat- Hey, dog! The hell with respect!

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

ComfyPants posted:

Found on Youtube, doggo's first snowfall https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s6IUyhVgToc

This rules. Thank you for posting this!

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

This is what fascinates me most in existence: the peculiar necessity of imagining what is, in fact, real.

Arlo says hi!

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

ATP_Power posted:

Arlo says hi!

Hey Arlo! :)

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

ATP_Power posted:

Arlo says hi!

Look at this good dogge.

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

Post more dogs. There are no reposts itt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

I met two weird dogs

I gave them treats and scritches.