Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Slippery Tilde

Vasudus posted:

Dogs often steal clothing when they're lonely/scared :ohdear:

It's not a terrible idea if you crate your dog to throw an old shirt in there.

Replying to an old post with dogge advice: dogs find things that smell like their people to be comforting. When my lab was a tiny puppy I rubbed a little stuffed alligator all over my sweaty torso. He carried that thing around like a child carries a teddy bear--gentle, like it's a living thing. He'd carry it into his crate at bed time. :woof:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Slippery Tilde

Pufflekins posted:

It's 'dog' not 'dogge'

Fuckke you.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Slippery Tilde

LITERALLY SHAKING posted:

Don't get him stoned.

Yet. He's too young for the herb man. That and every time I watch one of those "I got my dog high" videos on youtube I get really uncomfortable about it because people are obviously shotgunning to their pets. But I'm weird and we have a no smoking rule in the house because cats can't tell you to put out your cigarette. So my garage walls are covered in cigarette tar instead of the living room.

Getting cats stoned is fine to me though, because they already laze around and do nothing all day anyhow, and it's basically similar to catnip or some poo poo. Damnit now I miss Cadger (walk up stray) because that rear end in a top hat ate some of my bud. :(

I know guys whose cats come running when they hear bong sounds and demand their share. Cattes, man.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Slippery Tilde

My inside cats will come up to the garage/kitchen door and sit there the whole time I'm smoking in the garage. If they're not right inside that door, they're in the bonus room above the garage. I give them catnip a lot though, so I like to think we're on similar planes.

And my cats are fat little assholes, both around 15 pounds. I can't afford to get them stoned, they'll double their food costs and cut into the weed budget. But they also eat spinach so I could probably just make them a salad or something.

When my labrador got fat the vet recommended replacing part of each meal with canned green beans. Being a labrador he'll just eat loving whatever, and it fills him up without carrying a bunch of calories.

But it gave him horrific gas, even by elderly dog standards. It was so bad that after he farted, he'd get up and leave.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Slippery Tilde

Mad Dragon posted:

I can't tell with all the lens flare, but is he knifing that dog? :ohdear:

CoD has attack dogs that jump on you, and you have to snap their necks to get them off. This is probably just a more pro-active variation on the same theme.

Edit: it's either a punch or a rendering bug because there's nothing in his hand.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Slippery Tilde

Mr. Nice! posted:

I was at the dog park and he was being chased by a miniature poodle and ran with inches around the poodle ladies legs in a perfect 180. It's crazy how quick he can cut.

Herding dogs, man. You wouldn't think something with legs that stubby could move like that.

It feels like the dogge got gray and lazy really abruptly. He used to be able to beat squirrels to the tree. Now he mostly just glares at them menacingly.

Also, he hogs (hogges?) the loving footstool.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Slippery Tilde

EVA BRAUN BLOWJOBS posted:

Dat dogge needs a bath

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Slippery Tilde

Genocide Tendency posted:

Well trained dogs will do that every time. Its conditioning rather than inspecting it every time to see if there is glass in the door. Humans do this too. Rearrange your buddy's furniture while he is at work one day and watch.

This. Dogs are some of the best associative learners on earth. We've bred them this way.

Growing up, when my parents or I wanted to keep our lab out of a room we'd lay a folding chair or something across the doorway. He could easily jump over, but he never did. Eventually I realized I just had to lay a yardstick across the threshold and he'd stay out because he knew that's what he was Supposed To Do.

Of course, the same dog realized doors don't always latch so he'd always test them with a headbutt.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Slippery Tilde

TCD posted:

The pups are doing better. When they were rescued most had abcesses from porcupine quills. After they were abandoned by the pack, a porcupine tried to hide in the den. One of the pups was dead when the firefighters found them :( .

Did the porcupine make it? :ohdear:

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Slippery Tilde

Nick Soapdish posted:

Haven't you gotten stabbed by a homeless man east of 35 yet?

http://www.aspca.org/blog/heat-wave-should-you-shave-your-pet

This never made any sense to me. Insulation keeps houses cool because there's a loving air conditioning unit. Unless I missed where in the dog owner's manual it says to periodically charge their asses with coolant it should be analogous to wearing a jacket in the summer, which sure as poo poo does not keep you cool. Moreover, if this wasn't bullshit animals in hot climates would have thick coats, when the exact opposite is the case: lions and hyenas and poo poo have just enough fur to prevent sunburns.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Slippery Tilde

Frank can pretty well handle himself near the door. He's still a spastic rear end about getting all up in peoples' faces about 3 steps in, but he never bolts out and handles himself extremely well when off leash putzing in the front yard.

He has escaped from my mothers' yard a few times, but always comes back after a bit of running around.

My parents' collie/greyhound mix doesn't bolt, but he tries to watch you as you leave and gets his face shut in the door a lot. If you just let the storm door close and it catches him he'll stand there trapped waiting patiently for someone to rescue him.

The lab we had growing up only ran off if he heard children playing. I can only imagine being a parent and watching this big dumb lovesausage come barreling up to your child. Like, it was obvious he wasn't being aggressive, the question would be would he be able to stop.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Slippery Tilde

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_9jwfS1yHk
shoot for the moooooon

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Slippery Tilde

zombie303 posted:

Chokers, when used properly, are completely humane. They aren't there to actually choke.

You just have to be careful because if your dog is stubborn enough that he's willing to throttle himself to spend one more second with his nose shoved in whatever you can cause damage. If he pulls even with a choker, you might consider a "gentle leader" or something along those lines:

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Slippery Tilde

Cole posted:

Well as far as feeding him, I've been lucky enough that he's never had human food and doesn't know what the hell is going on while I'm eating and he usually just goes off and lays down.

Yeah, this doesn't work with labs. One time when I was a kid I dropped a lego minifig's head, and Gus caught it out of the air and gulped it all in one motion, as if it were carried down his throat by inertia.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Slippery Tilde

Genocide Tendency posted:

This is why they invented GoPro.

http://youtu.be/UowkIRSDHfs

I love the people at the end who have to suck in their legs to avoid getting run over/mowed down. I'm imagining being one of those people and seeing this augmented cyberdog just haul rear end through and into the water. It's great.

FAT SLAMPIG posted:

Sounds like a great way to go.

Sorry about the loss man.

This. Going in your sleep under a tree is absolutely the way to go. It's still hard, though.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Slippery Tilde

Mak0rz posted:

Her hips are in good shape for an old lab

The lab I had growing up did this. My mom called it "frog dog." He used it to scoot around under beds, which made an amusing scrabbling noise, punctuated by the period *bonk* of his fat head hitting the boards.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Slippery Tilde

Rough Lobster posted:

Dogge thread I come to you seeking advice:

I had a dream that I died and my spirit was yanked from my corpse and swirled away high into the stars. When I finally reached heaven, God was a huge Dogge. Doggod. He said, "Good human! Very good human!" and I was judged thus. I woke up to my dogge licking my face. I whispered "Good dog" and made eye contact with her and I swear to Christ she winked.

WHAT DOES IT MEAN?

What breed was God?

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Slippery Tilde

Sadbrains doesn't warrant service dogs. Actual licensed service dogs are for blind and whoever. Companion animals are dogs "trained" to assist with emotional regulation, and there's no such thing as companion animal certification.

Just get a dog and take him with you everywhere you can possibly get away with it.

Border collies are awesome dogs and I wholeheartedly recommend them. Smart as hell, size will vary, and there are plenty out there looking to be rescued.

http://youtu.be/WIlPFRsseQ8

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Slippery Tilde

EVA BRAUN BLOWJOBS posted:

That sound makes me move faster than a fire alarm. Find dog, get dog to nearest exit.

It's sometimes faster to just get them into the nearest shower.

But every dog I've spent time around seems to actively seek out the funny-colored indoor grass.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Slippery Tilde

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Slippery Tilde

Anita Dickinme posted:

Soccer used to love baths until a mail lady, who wasn't paying attention to anything, walked by us and got surprised and pepper sprayed him, on his leach. I gave him a bath to try to clean it off and ever since then he has hated baths. :argh:

Also N4Dicks, why does wherever you live hates dogges?

Hopefully you now know the correct way to wash off pepperspray.

Did the dog lunge or do anything at all other than be a dog? I don't know how I'd have handled that, but it wouldn't have been polite.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Slippery Tilde

BigPaddy posted:

Current situation is we gave her a greenies to see if it would work on the whole teeth cleaning thing and she ate it whole where is continued to be pooped out 6 hours later in a big green blob.

loving greenies. They're evidently like crack because holy hell does the dogge get excited about them.

Not captured: furious wagging and wookie noises.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Slippery Tilde

I'd vote for any candidate that licks his/her own rear end in a top hat during a televised debate.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Slippery Tilde

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

God drat he grew fast

Dog restrictions are arbitrary and dumb. Sometimes I just want to not tell them then be like "by the way it's a service dog!" To tell them gently caress you. Of course they won't renew your lease but hey

My uncle no-poo poo got his (elderly, literally found in a ditch) chihuahua all the paperwork required for a service dog. I'm not sure how. This little ratdog pines pitifully any time she's more than twelve feet away from him. If he's there she'll be quiet and placid as can be, but if he takes a few steps away it's like the Nazis are invading and George Bush declared himself proconsul for life. I told him he should register himself as a service human.

Edit: this might be something that's easier to do in California.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Slippery Tilde

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

He always does the anti-monti position. I think he's just cooling off his nuts

Frogge dogge.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Slippery Tilde

Mr. Nice! posted:

If I shut the door dakota will whine outside of it until he huffs up and lays against it. If I don't shut the door all the way, he'll knock it wide open and either come and chill with me by the commode or walk back out into the rest of the house leaving me with a wide open door for my poo.

My roommate's cat would do this to me. If I slept in, when I finally opened my door she'd ooze through the gap like toothpaste. I miss that land manatee. :C

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Slippery Tilde

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave posted:

The crate I was talking about in my earlier post? I was referring to the wire crate with the panned bottom. Giving them the chance to really look around during the daytime, but also have the ability to cover it with some kind of blanket to feel den-like is way good.

Another thing that helps is to, like, run up and down the stairs or work out or something, then rub your sweaty body all over a blanket or stuffed toy. Dogs find that super comforting because it's like their favorite human is right there next to them.

I did that when my family got our lab puppy when I was a kid. Rubbed a stuffed alligator in my armpits. That was the only toy Gus didn't try to destroy. He carried it around like a teddy bear.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Slippery Tilde

Mr. Nice! posted:

Another thing that's worked well for me is a metal jar full of coins. I've got an old boy scout popcorn tin that I use for pocket change. I shake that thing and dogs loving scatter. They know what it is after they hear it a few times and you can even just put it places you don't want the dog to go and they'll stay away.

Tried that with mine and he grabbed the can and ran. He thought it was a great game.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Slippery Tilde

Nick Soapdish posted:

Do Not Pet vests on the TSA dogs are a downer, my travel mornings would be 1000% with more dogge at the airport.

I got licked by the TSAbrador last time I flew. Guy in front of me scratched the dog's head and got away with it. That's my story god bless.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Slippery Tilde

Ahahaha that dog knows he's hosed up. How did that even happen?

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Slippery Tilde

Mr. Nice! posted:

That's because no human will ever love you like he does. You are his god. We bred dogs until they were programmed like that. It's loving amazing.

Dakota decided about a year ago that he was a cat and often chills on the back of the couch when I'm sitting on it.

Dogs have been with us since before there were permanent settlements, before the invention of the bow and arrow, before the fully-articulated concept of a god. Just a bit more recently then beer and furry art.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Slippery Tilde

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

I low-key wanna read a book about the domestication of dogs. Started about 6,000 years ago? So Sumerians? I want to say they drew a lot of poo poo of them with dogs by their side or hunting with dogs.

So I know the Wolfpack theory was debunked but are all dogs still supposed to have come from wolves?

Dogs began to diverge from wolves around 40,000 years ago. Domestication is usually dated around 33,000 BC. Exact numbers vary depending on source. These are from Wikipedia, checked against a few googled sciencey pages.

They're descended from a couple species of wolves: gray, and Taymyr. The latter is extinct. Some sources say they're exclusively from extinct species, but in any case Alaskan huskies have occasionally been (re-)bred with gray wolves. I've seen speculation about certain breeds having genes from other canine species, but I have no idea if there's actually evidence of that.

For comparison, cats are believed to have been domesticated between 7,500 and 9,500 years ago.

Blue Footed Booby fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Dec 9, 2015

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Slippery Tilde

Syrian Lannister posted:

Didn't need this today.

That being said, people who abuse animals need to be drawn and quartered.

I've heard dogges described as an instrument for measuring the contents of a human soul.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Slippery Tilde

Oil! posted:

The flaw in this is that all dogges go to heaven.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Slippery Tilde

Mom is in for surgery, spending the night at the hospital. Dad is staying with her, so I agreed to crash at their place to take care of the dogge.

Free booze! Also, dogge!

Not pictured: snoring and farting.

Blue Footed Booby fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Jan 19, 2016

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Slippery Tilde

Jehde posted:

Tucker hasn't figured out this whole sitting on hardwood floors thing yet.

Labradors have broad, stable asses, optimal for sitting on all surfaces.

They also have incredibly expressive foreheads. :3:

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Slippery Tilde

TheQuietWilds posted:

it gets a bad name because of people scamming to get their poorly trained poodle labeled as an emotional support animal, but the concept has been demonstrated in pretty good clinical trials over and over. Dogs can be trained to sense emotional distress (such as episodic ptsd) and intervene in specific ways. A well trained emotional support animal can be a lifesaver for patients with debilitating anxiety, depression and a variety of other psychosocial problems. It's not always a legit thing, but it isn't always a scam or a joke either.

That gives me an excuse to post a great commercial.

Dogges are the best.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Slippery Tilde

TBeats posted:

Monty is weird about approaching people. I like to let him socialize when we go to public places but he seems to randomly not want to go near certain people. There is no rhyme or reason. Some people will be white, some black, some in between. Some with beards, some without beards. Men, women. There's no discernible pattern to it that I can pick up on.

I trust his judgement on people more than my own, though. So I consider it one of his super powers.

My parents' dog is afraid of deep voiced men. He immediately trusts women and kids, and will eventually warm up to men as long as either they're tenors or they talk in falsetto.

He's also nervous around large dogs, except yellow labradors.

The lab part is a result of him growing up with one, but the rest is a mystery. Dogges can be weird. v:regd09:v

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Slippery Tilde

quote:

A Massachusetts man faces multiple charges after he was accused of breaking into a home, painting the victim's dog purple and stealing a car over the weekend...It was not immediately clear why the dog was painted.

http://www.whio.com/news/crime--law/burglar-paints-dog-purple-during-home-break-police-say/ehekGDG7vS6rowik6taBsJ/

Article has no pictures :mad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Slippery Tilde

Garrand posted:

Snooooooooooooooooooooot