Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

I wanna lose my stuff on that airline.

Unrelated, I find it funny how if you're not paying attention, Dutch sounds like English until you tune back in and realize you have no idea what the gently caress they said.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Cole posted:

so what's the best way to get a dog to not be a begger? right now he is really interested in what you're eating and jumps all over you until you get kind of rude with him. is that something you can change? i haven't nor has anyone else as far as i know given him anything off their plate. and everyone he comes across that is eating gets instructed to act like he's invisible while they eat.

but i don't know the real best way.

e: and i always kick him out of the chair or off the couch if i'm eating anything

As it was explained to me, that's attention seeking behavior, which some trainers call dominance displays.

The dog wants the best boss for the group; he's gonna always want to have the best dog in control. He's not really "challenging" you, so it's not really something you can "punish" (not that that would work), it's more like a parent humoring a child. He humors you when you tell him to do some tricks, but then he goes into parent mode when something more interesting/alerting comes up, and starts to ignore your commands; in this case, telling him you're eating first, because he thinks he should be first.

The way you fix it starts from the ground up. You gotta be consistent with the commands, abundant with praise for doing the right thing, and constant in all tasks. This is a really simplified explanation of what is going on, and what can be done to fix it.

Sputnik used to do all of the stuff you describe, and now he doesn't, thanks to the training I got; however, there are successful trainers that believe the opposite of this method is also true, so I don't claim to have all the answers.

I hope you can find something that works for you.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Martingale collars pose less of a danger than chokers, they don't fully constrict, and feel like a normal collar.

Also never leave your dog leashed on any kind of restriction collar, some pull themselves till they choke out, others figure out it's slack at certain angles and use this to escape.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Oh my loving GOD that's cute.

*fwoop*

*gasp!*

*catch*

:kimchi:

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Sputnik looks betrayed as gently caress every time I wash him, and would rather not, but he's a good sport about it.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Genocide Tendency posted:

Do you use warm water and pet him a lot while rinsing him down.

For some reason that helped when I use to have dogs.

Yeah. He don't run, he comes when called, even with the hose going, but he just wears this look like he got his kite stuck in a tree.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EfT46R3f1T4

Sputnik was watching this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpjP3mxv21s

Wasabi the J fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Oct 26, 2014

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Cole posted:

http://youtu.be/qftdlZngzgo

Someone in PI posted this. If it doesn't work theres a link in the description to a working one.

pkells posted:

How the hell does someone train a dog to do all of that?

Dogs are p. fuckin' smart. Just watched this.

http://www.cbsnews.com/videos/the-smartest-dog-in-the-world/

Dog knows 1,000 words including verbs.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Cole posted:

So I says, I says "Monty stop knocking stuff off my table" after he knocked my pencil off and he says, get this, he says

"Biiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiittttttttttttcccchhhhhhhhhh..."

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
I'm fuckin sorry bro... that's awful

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=69g7uu5LkC4

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Hey there devil dog...

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Sputnik didn't give a gently caress on Halloween.

The remains of a toy kill can be seen around his home.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

LITERALLY SHAKING posted:

Out of curiosity, how much does sputnik weigh?

Frank's hanging around 70 pounds.

and around corners...

Frank's a tank.

Sputnik just got weighed in at 38.5 when he went to the dentist on Saturday.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Frank seriously is a tank. vet said he's pure-bred, way on the upper end of the male scale, barrel-chested and a giant ball of muscle. When he really gets going it's like being dragged by a tow truck if you're not prepared for it.

He's been awful lonely here at the house lately, been half-thinking about finding him a buddy. Nothing as hairy or large. Or maybe larger and hairier. Meh, someday.

His girlfriend has calmed him down immensely because she's older and meaner.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
'sup

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Sputnik in vet. Puking and poopin all night.

He's looking better atm though

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
I'm so sorry :(

In other news: Sputnik is tentatively OK. Fucker ate pillow stuff and his body realized it's smarter than him and fought really hard to get rid of it all.

He's in a better mood now, we just have to keep an eye on him for a while.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Cole posted:

Since Thanksgiving is over is it ok to break out the dumb Christmas sweaters?

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Cole posted:

mods plz change n4is name to this tia

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Mike-o posted:

space dogges best dogges

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Someone is trying to get on the bed....

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Please secure your pets in the car.

I know it's really cute, but I have seen firsthand dogs jumping out of a moving box for reasons and then dying.

They don't comprehend that you control the moving box, and they don't have the circuitry for figuring out that jumping out of the box at 45 MPH will likely kill them.

I am sorry for the serious care-post, but I love pets and want everyone to be able to enjoy theirs for their whole natural lives.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Cole posted:

Trust me I have a vice grip on him when his head is out the window. He's tried to jump out in the past. I only let him stick his head out at red lights or in the few back roads around my house where its like 15mph.

Cole, I understand that you are taking more precautions than most, but a fall from a moving car/truck at 15 will probably break his legs, or his skull.

On top of that, holding him means that you have the potential of giving un-wanted input on the control of the vehicle, and that means Whip LE could write you a ticket for any number of things, including distracted or reckless driving, or worse, he causes you to wreck.

They make gear to secure your dogges, it's not that expensive, and will make rides with your pets much safer. You won't always be in the best position to hold onto him, and he will not always be the size at which you can do so.

Sorry again, but I'm really firm on this with everyone. I have seen four dogs jump out, and the least serious injury was three broken legs, the other three were mortally injured.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Cole posted:

American staff terrier mix. But the apartment complex I hope to move in to knows him as a German Shepherd.

I would say "boxer" but I don't know what breeds are restricted at your place.

http://m.imgur.com/gallery/Lsg9qgr

Wasabi the J fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Dec 12, 2014

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
TFR secret Santa came for Sputnik

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Lmbo

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

can anyone recommend a dog rucksack or harness with carrying capacity? I've seen some on amazon and they're not really what I'm looking for. I might just re-purpose one of my big old 3L camelbaks, just need something to carry around extra water and food for Frank when we're out in the woods this year (I figure 7-10 pounds should be fine for a 70+ pound dog).

gonna use a long piece of 250lb test rope for a leash.

I got this one for TFR Secret Santa and the medium has a really good amount of storage.

Sput doesn't like doggles.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

There's an absolutely adorable boxer mix at my shelter and I want her :ohdear:

If you're going to be around enough to walk her and play with her for a couple hours a day, then do it do it wtf just do it.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Can we get an update about N4I's dog situation?

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Christoff posted:

What's GIPs opinion on dog breeding anyways? I know some people really want a particular type of dog. And I guess it makes sense if you need a herding dog or something? But it gets a little crazy with great danes and poo poo. But I've always seen it selfish (Obviously rescue mutts rule and are the best)

Personally I don't like supporting "purebreds" most of the time because they often come from mills and mills are loving depressing, and bad.

If it comes from a private breeder, than just make sure they have a healthy life and don't get ripped off. Sputnik is purebred and he's an adopt from someone who didn't have the time to care for him.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

For posterity posteriors

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Classic Sputnik pic

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Mak0rz posted:

I didn't know doggie cots were a thing

Sputnik kept eating the loving filling of every dog bed.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8cSXS-xhnc

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
http://i.imgur.com/tNPC84t.webm

Adbot