Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

screaden
Apr 8, 2009

Kerbtree posted:

Just before Christmas, I brought home Pepper, a rescue dogge who proceeded to nervously vomit all over my passenger seat and my heart

The day we brought our rescue dog home she sloppy poo poo and pissed all over my girlfriend's car because of a mix of meds and being utterly terrified. Poor thing, we ended up paying someone else about 250 bucks to clean it

The day we brought her home

And three years later, she has vitiligo and is the goofiest doofus dog who is now just terrified of other humans beside us and the very few others she trusts. I'm not sure what happened to her before we adopted her but I'm guessing it wasn't very nice.

Posing

Got sick of that and wants me to play

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

screaden
Apr 8, 2009

We adopted a new dog to help our other very-wary-of-strangers shelter dog.

He settled in very quickly.

screaden fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Apr 9, 2016

screaden
Apr 8, 2009

PenisMonkey posted:

This is Onyx. He's as a good as any dogge with 4 legs.

He's the dog world champion

screaden
Apr 8, 2009

Can't comment on the pitty situation, but that dog is adorable and deserves better.

Facebook reminded me today that my Rotti was once upon a time completely black

But still the cutest

And our other rescue dog from earlier this year, who is very photogenic

screaden
Apr 8, 2009

My buddy got a puppy

And their Goldie

And because any excuse to post my pups

screaden
Apr 8, 2009

TBeats posted:

Tell me all about the depths of my soul.

She says it's full of chocolate and red wine

screaden
Apr 8, 2009

PenisMonkey posted:

Dead or loves belly rubs. Can't tell.

screaden
Apr 8, 2009

Have some animated pups

Linked because imgur wont resize for some reason
http://i.imgur.com/tGENk2r.gifv

And me riling Ada up before a walk by imitating her

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0foX4Udguy4

screaden
Apr 8, 2009

Ada being adorable

...until I started making strange noises to rile her up

screaden
Apr 8, 2009

Sorry to hear about Icarus, I gave my pups even more hugs than they normally get today

This was nice to wake up to after a nap

I forgot to take my keys with me on a walk so had to wait outside until my girlfriend got back from work to let us in

and Buddy was posing yesterday

screaden
Apr 8, 2009

Ada is very concerned by the concept of selfies

screaden
Apr 8, 2009

Ada came in to the study and caught me watching puppy videos on facebook

screaden
Apr 8, 2009

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

mods?

Report: a dog is not receiving required pettes

Rotties are pretty cool. Wait that is one obviously right 🤔 I know everyone gets spooked by them cause rawr pit bulls. They're just big dumb teddy bears that don't know they're strong and capable of being ferocious.

Anyways my point was I've seen a lot of good ones recently

She's at least a Rottie cross. I always thought she was mixed with a Kelpie, our old trainer before we moved reckons she's a purebred but from a farm/working dog line rather than the typical example you see today. She's pretty small for a Rottie. She's also a special case where you're right in that she's an absolute sweetheart, but she's a rescue dog with a lot of baggage relating to other people. Not sure what happened before we got her but she's incredibly terrified of strangers, but once you build enough trust she's super snuggly and loving, but that process takes a long time. We had some rough patches with my dad when we first got her (and we didn't know any better, truth be told they probably shouldn't have let first time dog owners like us adopt her, but she's ours now), but we did a lot of work with a trainer and now she loves it whenever my Dad comes by (it means treats are about to rain down from the sky!).

She also has vitiligo, the Michael Jackson disease, so depending on her stress levels she gets patches of white fur on her body and skin (you can see it on her nose in that picture), although that's diminished a lot recently because I now work from home and spend all day with her.

I gave her lets of belly rubs to atone for my puppy video betrayal

screaden
Apr 8, 2009

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Hey man all part of the experience. Once you're in you're committed. I've learned quite a bit about myself raising this dude

Same, by that point we'd both bonded to each other so hard there was absolutely no way I could quit on her, thankfully she repaid that faith twice as much.

She loves walks

Our other dog Buddy is a huge goofball

His lip got stuck somehow

A rare moment of quiet for these two

Buddy is not good at posing and is also very squishy

Ada loooooves licking us all

screaden
Apr 8, 2009

Rest easy little pup. Hope you guys are ok, whenever I see a post like this I always get a lump in my throat because I can't even imagine what I would be like when Ada passes.

Ada tends to annoy Buddy

They figured it out

screaden
Apr 8, 2009

screaden
Apr 8, 2009

Xinder posted:

New rescue dog got sleepy on his way home:

I love him already

That's adorable.

When my girlfriend brought Ada home, due to a combination of still being affected by the drugs after the desexing operation and being utterly terrified of everything, she ended up peeing and making GBS threads liquid everywhere in the car.

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

yeah I'd never use the retractable ones and I think they've pretty much gone away, hardly see them anymore

I only see old people with these anymore, and only ever with little dogs. They do seem to be falling out of fashion which is good.

screaden
Apr 8, 2009

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Purely anecdotal but it seems to be the standard in Europe. Kind of interesting---often depressing---to see how dogs are incorporated into another culture. My Vietnamese friend was telling me how the Western concept of dogs as pets/companions is barely getting over there, and reserved for the upper classes. Like, there's often not even any sort of vet around. To many there: it is a weird and foreign concept.

I understand everything above is hearsay, and not fact, so please feel free to correct me.

Can't confirm/deny, but it wouldn't surprise me. I'm in Aus and recently moved to the country (from a 250,000 population city to 4,000) and even their ideas about pets are very different. It's been an annoying adjustment actually, people just don't give a poo poo, and generally live on huge unfenced blocks, so every walk is an adventure where we might have three different roaming dogs come charging up to us, or maybe we'll have a nice pleasant stroll without seeing a soul. Also, people being very lax with having a dog on a leash. I've lost count of the amount of times some doofus' little poo poo will run up to us growling and snapping in my dog's faces and the owners making no effort aside from "don't worry they won't bite". I can remember one time this happened where I used to live and it was purely an accident (leash clip snagged on the head halter loop and unlocked it).

There are no dog trainers nearby here so all the grizzled old farmhands believe that hitting a dog is the best discipline and so that attitude is kind of pervasive around here. Australia really needs some official qualification or training program to allow people to become trainers.

screaden
Apr 8, 2009

Post a picture of Malachi in a couple of weeks (and every day in between). I love seeing before and after shots of rescued dogs.

The day we brought Ada home

And a few weeks later, with bonus picture of my brothers dog as a growing puppy (look at his stubby little legs!)

screaden
Apr 8, 2009

Yes, please please please please please please ask beforehand. I've had too many dipshits come charging up to Ada and even on her good days it freaks her right out and she'll go from 0 to get the gently caress away from me at all costs in a second.

Also, if you're offering your hand to be sniffed, do it palms open, if you do it the other way it can be a sign that you're hiding something that's possibly bad for them. And also don't bring your hand down from above them, get either down to their eye level or below where they can see where it comes from.

Speaking of dog artworks, my brothers wife is a printmaker and made us this print of Ada as a christmas present.

Caught Ada reassuring Buddy this morning, in the process of turning to lick herself though

It was a cold and rainy day last week so I made sure they were tucked in nice and warm.

Buddy just looooves shoving his face in to things, I tucked him in so his face was exposed but I don't think that lasted very long

screaden
Apr 8, 2009

suboptimal posted:

I've read that you should offer your hand to be sniffed with the palm turned down because dogs do understand that you could violently grab their snout easier with an upturned palm.

I'll only offer my hand out if the dog is already sniffing at me or if I've asked if it's okay to pet the dog. It's only polite!

I mean, you could grab it just as easy from the top. Our trainer justified it as dogs being super good at picking up on on body language and palms open is generally an "open" and "welcoming" sign. Who knows?

Also, good work on the second point!

GIF time!

screaden
Apr 8, 2009

My kind of party

https://instagram.com/p/BX2mjDdDGpU/

screaden
Apr 8, 2009

Dogs in bandanas you say? My mum bought these for them but I forgot I had them until some cleaning over the weekend

screaden
Apr 8, 2009

I offer these pictures to celebrate our new rule.

Bonus Buddy Butt

Bonus dog artwork

screaden
Apr 8, 2009

What kind of dog is this?

https://www.facebook.com/natgeoau/videos/10155042491007006/

screaden
Apr 8, 2009

Super Grocery Kart posted:

Jade has this thing now where if youíre sitting down she HAS to be snuggled in your lap. Guess Iím not getting that second beer till she wakes up.

Sorry, you're stuck there forever now

screaden
Apr 8, 2009

My wife's brother got a new puppy a few weeks ago

Ada just had to get to the fireplace to see the bird that got stuck in there

She says it was worth it (we managed to herd it out one of the windows)

screaden
Apr 8, 2009

I don't know if this kind of thing is frowned upon here, but my brother and his wife's dog Eddie had to go in to surgery for bloat. He made it through the first round but it turns out he has to go in again. She's an artist, and to help pay for the surgery she's having a big sale on her work

https://www.etsy.com/au/listing/585344309/major-etching-sale-50-percent-or-more?ref=shop_home_active_1

Here is a picture of him with Ada when he was still a puppy

And him just being cute in our backyard when we looked after him for a weekend

screaden
Apr 8, 2009

Malek posted:

I didn't buy anything but I paypal'd them $50. Hope it helps.

Thanks mate, you're a good egg

screaden
Apr 8, 2009

mrmcd posted:

Governor's Island is a cool park in the harbor of NYC, and you can get in free if you have a city resident ID.

Today while hanging out and napping on the grass by the water, I ran into their famous anti-goose doggos:

Unfortunately I did not get to pet or say hi, since their handlers we're off down a pier fixing up a bunch of barriers that had blown over. I didn't want to interact without asking since I know they're technically working dogs, and after hanging out for like 5 minutes waiting for their humans to come back, I gave up. I realized I was a creepy dude hanging out looking at the dogs from like 10 ft away while everyone else walked past minding their own business.

Anyway that's my story.

Have you seen this film? It's a similar thing we're they trialed Maremma dogs to protect a penguin species being picked off by foxes.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oddball_(film)

In searching for this I also found out that the dog that the film is based on passed away last year.

It's coming up on winter here so have some pictures of dogs snuggling together!

screaden
Apr 8, 2009

She does this allll the time

https://gfycat.com/gifs/detail/PlushIckyAfghanhound

screaden
Apr 8, 2009

pantslesswithwolves posted:

Lando's part GSD so I straight up can't watch this.

I sometimes think of Lando's life before he came to my girlfriend and I. He had obviously been neglected (he was 37 lbs then, now he's nearly 60) and the thought of someone being so cruel makes me so seriously sad for him. I can't help but picture him unhappy and hungry, and it just makes me want to push his previous owner's teeth in. However, I of course know that I've already done right by Lando by giving him the best forever home that I can, but still. It's very hard for me to think of someone mistreating a dog without getting angry, and harder still to think of someone intentionally hurting or neglecting one without running the risk of developing an incandescent rage.

Ada is similar, the rescue that we got her from basically has a no questions asked policy when surrendering dogs and they said they had no information on her. The vet had to guess her age based on her teeth, but they're not exactly the healthiest so I think he might have said she was older than she really is. Based on her behaviour I don't know if it was outright abuse or just neglect. Not long after we got her, my wife got called away unexpectedly for work, so we asked if my parents could look after her while I was at work too, but they struggled because of the way she is so I took her to some boarding kennels until she got back. The people who own it used to be Rottie breeders before they opened the kennels. Ada still had a shaved chest from the desexing operation and the first thing the owner said was, "Geez it looks like she's had a few litters". When we explained that we had no idea because she was a rescue we concluded that she was probably part of a puppy mill or was used to breed pups for selling and once that well dried up the owner just bailed on her.

screaden
Apr 8, 2009

afternoon sun snuggles

screaden
Apr 8, 2009

Some dogs I saw while I was in Japan

this guy had a picture of himself on this shirt

And these are mine relaxing after an exhausting trip to the vet (they're fine, just checkups, they're just nervous nellies)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

screaden
Apr 8, 2009

Was leaving the house for a haircut and came across this sweetheart, collar missing and was wandering around by herself. While I was patting her to keep her off the road while my wife grabbed a spare collar and some water she gently grabbed a bit of my shorts in her mouth and wouldn't let go, wasn't chewing or biting, just holding it there like she was holding hands. Eventually she flopped on the ground for belly rubs. She's safe at the Vet now (one of my dogs does not like other dogs, let alone other dogs on his turf) but I was happy to be late for my appointment for that.

Bud's favourite spot in the world is curled up between my legs