Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

holocaust bloopers posted:

My downstairs neighbor's corgi but rushes me. It's pretty cool. He was wearing dog boots yesterday.

excuse me those are called pawtectors

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Our boxer had been abused prior to use getting him - some scars from hitting and infected feet/hair loss from being left standing in his own poo poo and piss in a cage all the time. He finally escaped somehow and was living on the streets of Chicago in January when he caught and handed over to a rescue shelter. He was 35 lbs and you could see bones under the skin very clearly. A few weeks of daily showers and ointments took care of the infections and skin, a few months of overly indulgent attitude about table scraps and he got back up to full weight. He spends his days laying on a spare bed watching the neighborhood out the windows and sleeping in the sun, gets 3 meals plus treats every day, and sleeps in front of a fire place on 3 stacked dog beds at night.

he won the puppy dog lottery.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Tide posted:

That just makes me so extraordinarily sad. I am just going to tell myself he got rescued by awesome dudes in a helicopter.
No need. It happened in Bosnia, here is the waterfall during the summer

You can see the one he is on, it isn't too bad. The rangers came out to deal with it, apparently ti is a regular thing for deer and wild boar to end up where he is. They finally coaxed him to jump back into the water and he swam to the other side and ran off into the woods, presumably to join the hunter he belonged to.

quote:

On a better note, our boxer made it through surgery and is recuperating well. The prednisone they have him on makes him drink, eat, and piss like no tomorrow.

very good to hear

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xx6I0GrKlQQ

hooooooooooo*snort*ooooooowl

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Pierson posted:

Do dogs know we love them and do they love us back? These are the questions that would haunt me were I not disgustingly allergic to dogs and so owned 1,000,000 dogs.

In its 164 year history the New York Times has covers many groundbreaking and controversial events. The piece that has brought about the most feedback from the readership however, was a small article on animal neuroscience in 2005. A small scientific explainer, it covered what we currently understood about the way different animals perceived and processed emotions differently, essentially reflecting on the old question of "does my sadness feel to me the same way your sadness feels to you" with a conclusive "no", at least across species lines. It was titled "Your Dog Doesn't Really Love You".

Holy poo poo people did not like that.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Rigel posted:

This is Frank. He is my dog. He is being trained in explosives detection and PSA.

He has just been transitioned from knee lock bites to bicep bites, so he has to re-learn how to knock decoys on their rear end with his fury.

Good dog!

We train with a few other people. Here are their cute dogs!

Boris loves long walks and his toy cheeseburger and also biting that dude in the suit. And smelling drugs. He bumps where the drugs are hidden with his nose. It's really cute.

This is Charlie. He also loves to bite mans, and smell bombs. Today Charlie and Frank went to where I work and got to have Industrial Facility Desensitization Adventure. Good times were had by all!

Why are you making good dogges into bad narcs?

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

http://i.imgur.com/xSQeKSs.gifv

#StopSnitchin

#PetDogges

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Pet all your dogge tonight guys, things aren't looking good for my family dog. My parents came back from vacation and picked him up from the kennel, and he has just been out of sorts -no energy, didn't want to play, didn't come to greet you when you got home, breathing heavy... And that was all stuff he'd been doing at Christmas or even the end of January. It was like his spirit had been broken. They took him in today for some xrays and a bunch of tests and he has a large mass near his heart. They are taking him to a canine oncologist tomorrow, but hopes aren't high. He's 9 or 10 years old so even if it is treatable he'd have a rough recovery and it might not buy that much time. But well see.

So yeah, go pet your dogges.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Good dogge

Better dogge

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Luna Was Here posted:

is there anyway to tell what dogs want when they're barking a poo poo load or do i have to play the guessing game of life which, last night, went a little like this:
Tink: *BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK*
Me: whats wrong what do you need do you want food
T: *BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK*

repeat ad infinitum

Dogges can see murderghosts, sounds your house is haunted and she was trying to keep you safe

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

so update on my family pup - first up my parents decided it was worth getting further tests and treatments instead of just making him comfortable until it was time, so that was good. The expenses are always the question you don't want to bring up. Past that, they took him in for more tests, and it wasn't as good as you could hope but it wasn't as bad as we feared. lumps are carcinomas and not a lymphoma, which made it more treatable, and the doc said he was a good case for surgery and chemo instead of just palliative care. They did more scans and there are two masses close to each other. They are going to go in (which involves cracking his chest), and get them out, which will mean one of the lobes of one of his lungs and a lymph node right next to it. He'll then be in the doggie ICU for 2 days, have his stitches for 2 weeks, and then 4-6 weeks oc chemo after that. (I might have some of those numbers off, but thats the timeline for what comes next at least). There will be more tests throughout to make sure it is going well and they got what they needed. But yeah, that's the plan. Surgery is tomorrow, so good thoughts; pet your dogges

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

ElMaligno posted:

Today I had to do one of the hardest decisions in my life. Magy, the dog I posted earlier, underwent an exploratory surgery today and the vet discovered cancer in her bladder. Instead of going the aggressive route my family decided to go the humane route. The vet discovered that the cancer was extending further in the body, bladder and urethra so humanly putting her to sleep saved her from months and months of agonizing pain. My family also decided to have the clinic dispose of her body, I signed all the paperwork so it was actually my decision.

I want to cry and feel miserable, but here I am misty eyed and feeling nothing and numb as gently caress.

gently caress this gay earth and pet your dogs.

I'm so sorry dude

USMC503 posted:

RIP Looks like a very good dogge. My condolences.

Fried Chicken, I hope your dogge does alright. :ohdear:

Just got a text, surgery went ok.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

I will never feel as much joy about anything as that puppy feels about that toy

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

boxer supremacy

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Genocide Tendency posted:

Nope.

This is Statler. My dogge after brushes this morning:

Still haven't figured out what breed he is.

http://justmansbestfriendforlife.com/owner-grants-dying-dogs-lifelong-wish/

Good dogges

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

https://gma.yahoo.com/pack-stray-dogs-stand-guard-animal-lovers-funeral-194627608--abc-news-pets.html

:gbsmith:

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

http://i.imgur.com/8kBzrMV.gifv

Boxer supremacy

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

You can pet sharks at the Indianapolis zoo. They have like a little waist high (on short people) pool with a dozen or so small sharks swimming in it and you can reach in and trail your fingers and pet them.

It's p cool

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Some pro dogge-ing right there

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

I'm dying here

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Some times you just need to air your balls.

Even when you don't have any balls.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6EPPMCwD5bw

Pretty sure if I see this I'm gonna be sad the whole way through, the Marley & Me guy makes dogge movies where it always ends bad for the dogge

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Weltlich posted:

Repent. Quit your job. Pette dogges.

Hey now, as we say in my family, "someone needs to earn the dog food money"

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

http://youtu.be/aaVJsamcaXA

It's a pit climbing a ladder

Also who has two thumbs and just signed for a place that allows dogges that is right next to dog beach? This guy.

Have a bit before I actually get there. Don't want to start looking for dogs just yet. Can't be an "official" aggressive breed which are the obvious and then some obscure ones like Great Danes? Also no German shepherds but I guess that kind of makes sense. Most all rescues seem to be at least half pit or boxer though. Also has to be over a year old. Honestly don't mind an older dog. Anyways not looking for any specific dog really just no yappy dogges,want a smedium sized one, and can't be what's considered aggressive

Boxer

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

Shoot I need one to train my dogge to ride on amotorcycle

Dude, I don't know. It's really tough though. Which is odd because this is like the most dog friendly place and the area in particular I'm moving to is even more dogge friendly. The most I've ever seen for a place. Water bowls in every business etc.

Finding a place that allows dogges cut the options down by like 1/5th and even then most have a lot of stipulations. Not to mention dogge tax that some places do instead of a pet deposit

If you have an aggressive breed especially a pit or boxer you have to get a house.

Boxers are not aggressive huh

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Tide posted:

I've never understood that either. I've been around them my entire life; they are the only breed of dog my dad has had since he was 7 (he's now 73). They bark, yeah. Sound mean when they want to. Jump a lot. But every single boxer I've ever been around has been the most friendly, affectionate dog ever once properly introduced.

Kidney beaning leaning jumping bean machines they are.

Boxers are dangerous to their owners because there is a long list of verified cases where something bad happened to the owner and the boxer kept the paramedics at bay because they knew something was wrong and were trying to keep their human safe for those stranger

EXTREME INSERTION posted:

Boxers seem like perpetual puppies. The ones I have met have generally preferred hanging out with people at the park vs playing with the other dogs. They can bark and be pretty rambunctious, but I haven't really heard of them ever being bitey

This is a lot of it. Boxers are forever puppies in their mind, and will behave like it. Extremely protective of their owners, and no real understanding of their own size and strength as they grow. 80lbs of dog colliding with you at top speed doesn't feel good, but it's what they will do if they think their family is threatened. They can't really bite though, their jaw and jowl structure means the back "shearing" teeth can't get a grip to do their work, so if they do bite all they can do is latch and hold. Which still doesn't feel good because it's 80lbs of dog built around a deep chest and strong neck muscles, but they won't do the damage that, say, a German Shepard would do.

My family has always had shelter boxers, and in 23 years only 2 events of anyone getting hurt by any of them. One my mom was walking him, he saw a fox, and lunges a few feet barking to make it keep its distance from her. The sudden pull of 80lbs of muscle made my mom face plant.

The other he was watching the neighborhood kids play football through the bay window and saw my (then 9 year old) brothers best friend tackle him. He took off like a shot, broke the screen door when he charged through it, hit the other kid at full speed knocking him clear of my brother and stood between them barking and growling trying to defend my brother.

We've had 3, and only aggression they have ever shown is in defense of their family. Lots of energy, very curious, happy to use their front paws to manipulate things (hence the name).

Other than that they like to spend their time laying in the sun, sleeping on the couch, and just generally being the happiest creatures you could ever hope to meet.

Nostalgia4Murder posted:

Boxers are the best dogges.

This. Boxer dogges, best dogges

Fried Chicken fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Jun 26, 2015

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

BigPaddy posted:

Boxers are great but you need the time available to help them work that energy off else they will just go nuts.

If you aren't playing with and petting your dogge constantly gtfo

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

post more Tanky

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

request Tanky sitrep. I have filled my D0-GG-echo form with N4D

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Buzzfeed does bullshit Frontline sponsored embeded advertising, but what the hell, its full of awesome dogge gifs

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

FOOL! It is the end of the world, can't you hear the explosions? They are barking to inform you so you can get to safety!

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Fried Chicken posted:

FOOL! It is the end of the world, can't you hear the explosions? They are barking to inform you so you can get to safety!

GODDAMMIT ASSHOLES! WHY WON'T YOU LISTEN TO THE WARNINGS! IT IS THE END OF THE WORLD GET AWAY FROM THE SKY BANGS AND COMMENCE THE TWILIGHT BARK TO WARN THE REST OF THE DOGGES AND THEIR MAN-APES!

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Genocide Tendency posted:

Shut the gently caress up and go back to D and D cock smoker.

Don't poo poo up SA's only good thread.

I posted 23 good dogges to your 4. eat poo poo (like a bad dogge would, good dogges don't eat poop they come for pettes)

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

~*~BOXER SUPREMACY~*~

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

BigPaddy posted:

Current situation is we gave her a greenies to see if it would work on the whole teeth cleaning thing and she ate it whole where is continued to be pooped out 6 hours later in a big green blob.

good girl

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

quote:

It was then the other three dogs, all Pit bulls and also rescues, ran to assist Chief while Wagner grabbed her daughter.

For the strength of the pack is the wolf, and the strength of the wolf is the pack.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

http://www.buzzfeed.com/mikerose/dogs-who-lost-the-fight-against-sleep#.jaPQX35N0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

boxer puppies trying to stay awake (and failing)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6OvjU0ZQKQc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBxFRELsRPM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kqGC-S4mCJ0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kjA9SsGu-vk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=apWR5cO7jwk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xh7sAKw78J0