Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011
Chelsea Manning is a goddamned HERO

Six month old Corgi mix at a local shelter, looks part german shepherd. Gonna have to show that one to the missus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Fister Roboto posted:

God drat that thing has stubby legs even for a dachshund.

Just fat.

The in-laws side has a few dachshunds. Tiny little assholes.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

That cat is gonna gently caress some poo poo up.

I seriously don't know what y'alls problems are with cats. Mine are every bit as loyal as dogs I've had, meet me at the door when I get home, keep me company, seek out my attention when I'm taking a poo poo, literally follow me around the house even when I'm just pacing in circles about the living room around the couch. Most times I can even get them to talk back at me like you would with a dog.

They don't really care for my wife though.

CRUSTY MINGE fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Aug 9, 2013

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Oh gently caress yes a schnauzer. Post more of him.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

nullandvoid posted:

He's quite possibly the least photogenic dog. He always has this look of a total rear end in a top hat who taking a much needed nap after a hard day of work and then got woken up rudely by those loud neighbor kids.

All schnauzers look like that, it's their thing. And he's actually still pretty decently groomed in that photo. We used to let ours (when I was a kid) grow it out from October until March because Illinois sucks in the winter. That six month coat was always crazy looking when we'd take him in for his spring clipping.

The best picture I have of my old dog. He died ten years ago when I was in Korea and he was living with my grandparents. He was probably about 12 but he had a lot of problems, hips and fatty tumors. He was a table scrap dog because my grandparents have always given their pets table scraps. He had a good life in the country. :unsmith:

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

nullandvoid posted:

That's a plump schnauzer, also lol at the dogplop way of sitting. I'm still a fan of big dogs but when we found out my mother was mad allergic to dog hair we switched to these little guys and they've pretty much won a spot with me. Granted I can't get all rough and tumble and make a "work dog" out of em but I dunno, they make bad rear end friends as homo gay as that sounds.

Oh he was a fat rear end dog by the time he died. He was a ball of energy when he was younger, but when I moved to nashville he stayed with the grandparents, which was kinda cool because they lived out in the middle of nowhere and they'd just let the dogs out the door and ring a dinner bell if they were gone too long. While I lived with them we'd take him and their other dog, a schnauzer/poodle mix, everywhere. He spent years playing in fields and ditches, but was also attacked a few times by coyotes and twice by a saint bernard. In the end he was just like the rest of the family, fat and lazy.

I miss him, and I definitely want another schnauzer because they're awesome as hell.

Oh, and our oldest cat sits just like that too, but he's weird and a cat so I guess that doesn't matter.

CRUSTY MINGE fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Aug 11, 2013

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

nullandvoid posted:

Here's a few for ya, Spongebob.

Haha, gently caress yeah man. Buckeye just looks like a spaz because of the ears.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

https://www.facebook.com/mtcorgirescue

Only a three hour drive away. Going out there next month for a few days, gonna pry at the missus a bit.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Dawww. This guy's at a local rescue.

http://www.petfinder.com/petdetail/26960952

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Showed the wife that rescue dog picture. Not quite there yet, but she'll give eventually.

Her words: "Corgis are too small to do anything besides look cute." We have two cats already, what kind of logic is that.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Let me tell you all a brief story about my wife and dogs.

Once upon a time on new years eve of 2007 my wife (then fiancÚ) went with a friend to a pet store and started calling me freaking out because they have a beautiful little black miniature schnauzer. It was about noon or so and there wasn't poo poo going on at work so I met her and her friend at the pet store. Sure enough an hour or so later we were leaving with this little dog that was awesome as hell, a little 4 month old female. Brought her back to my apartment because we weren't living together at the time and set about having a good evening, dog was cool and didn't bark or poo poo or piss on the floor, was just a ball of content energy that wanted attention.

So the next morning comes and the missus is shaking me out of my hangover haze, the dog asleep on my lap, and pleads that we need to take her back because we won't have time to take care of her and blah blah blah a ton of excuses for what amounted to a huge amount of bullshit. I was pissed, real pissed, didn't talk to her for a few days after that, and we did wind up taking the dog back, leaving with half what we paid, effectively renting a dog for a night.

I figure if I can forgive that, she'll forgive the day I come home randomly with a rescue dog that has some weight to throw around. Probably good to note that she picked up a free kitten from a walmart parking lot before waiting six hours to tell me when I got home from work (that's the second cat, her name is Kitten because the wife didn't approve of Stupid). She owes me.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Well not that much weight, but probably in the 30-50 pound range. A corgi would've been a compromise, a standard or giant schnauzer is most ideal, but australians and collies are growing on me. It'll be a shelter dog and not a puppy, whenever I randomly decide to pick one up.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Mr. Nice! posted:

I guess pets really do resemble their masters. Next thing I know he's gonna be begging me to hotbox him. :ohdear:

Don't get him stoned.

Yet. He's too young for the herb man. That and every time I watch one of those "I got my dog high" videos on youtube I get really uncomfortable about it because people are obviously shotgunning to their pets. But I'm weird and we have a no smoking rule in the house because cats can't tell you to put out your cigarette. So my garage walls are covered in cigarette tar instead of the living room.

Getting cats stoned is fine to me though, because they already laze around and do nothing all day anyhow, and it's basically similar to catnip or some poo poo. Damnit now I miss Cadger (walk up stray) because that rear end in a top hat ate some of my bud. :(

CRUSTY MINGE fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Sep 15, 2013

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Blue Footed Booby posted:

I know guys whose cats come running when they hear bong sounds and demand their share. Cattes, man.

My inside cats will come up to the garage/kitchen door and sit there the whole time I'm smoking in the garage. If they're not right inside that door, they're in the bonus room above the garage. I give them catnip a lot though, so I like to think we're on similar planes.

And my cats are fat little assholes, both around 15 pounds. I can't afford to get them stoned, they'll double their food costs and cut into the weed budget. But they also eat spinach so I could probably just make them a salad or something.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Blue Footed Booby posted:

When my labrador got fat the vet recommended replacing part of each meal with canned green beans. Being a labrador he'll just eat loving whatever, and it fills him up without carrying a bunch of calories.

But it gave him horrific gas, even by elderly dog standards. It was so bad that after he farted, he'd get up and leave.

Every morning I make my wife's breakfast and lunch, and every morning those loving cats are staring up at me for spinach, turkey, ice, and maybe a couple of cheerios if I'm eating cereal. They sit right in front of the fridge or the sink, unless I'm ignoring them, then they get on the counter and act like real assholes with big sad eyes and quivering jaws. When I get a dog it'll probably do the same drat thing.

Stupid fat cats.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Pugs are cool and all, but I can't get past the whole protruding eyes thing. And if I want something small and ugly then I'm going the Grumpy Old Men route of adopting a bulldog with 3 legs, 1 eye, and no nuts, call him Lucky.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Found an aussie shepherd breeder about 4 hours away. I'll be out that way next weekend for a field trip anyhow, going to call ahead and probably check them out on saturday.

Dawwww.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Oh it won't be locked up. I have a decent sized yard but I will absolutely take him/her with me everywhere possible. Lots of walks and time at the park and my mother's already offered to help out with keeping tabs on it while I'm at work. She lives ten minutes away, has a brittany spaniel, a fenced half acre of play space and a salt water pool. I'm not keeping the house, going to sell it and move when this shakes out to a cheaper place next county over with more land, probably a foreclosure that hasn't been remodeled since the 70s, nice and cheap. My whole lifestyle is fixing to change, even though I'm stuck with the cats, a dog would still be an amazing boost for morale and motivation. And the cats would give the dog something to herd when I do have to leave it at home.

I've thought this out. Obviously not enough, and I won't be getting a dogge next weekend, but I'm going to let them know I'll be interested in the next litter or so when things are a little more stable.

Basically going to scope out the breeder before I throw money at them.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Basically planning to spend as much time as possible with dogge when I do get one and I don't care what kind of holy terror they are when pups, I'd rather a pup grow up used to my cats than have to constantly keep them from eating each other because dogge's not used to it. Wife's probably going to take all the good furniture anyhow, and hardwood floors for the win. Dogge and I will take training classes.

No, dogge will not be smoking the weed with me, before anyone asks. Don't even get the cats high.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Liquid Communism posted:

I live with one (roomies' dog) that doesn't have nearly enough space. She's such a massive massive pain in my rear end unless someone takes her out and runs a few miles with her a day.

I have a bum leg. :(

Ride a bicycle? Throw a ball in the yard?

Seriously guys, right now I have a 2000 sq ft house with probably a 50'x120' back yard that I'll only be sharing with two cats for the meantime. If I keep the place I have room to put dogge obstacles in the yard (seesaw, ramp, etc), if I don't I'm buying a place much more rural with more of a lot. Not getting one until I know how this is wife poo poo is going to go.

CRUSTY MINGE fucked around with this message at 09:35 on Oct 13, 2013

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

I'd love to get a border collie but if there's one dog smarter and more energy ball than an aussie it's a border collie.

One of my grandmother's raised a few of these beauties.

The other bred slobbering monsters of cuddly doom.

Goddamnit I can't wait to get a dogge.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

want. so. bad.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Welp, gently caress EA then. I mean, gently caress them for all the poo poo over the years, but especially this.

Want dogge. So bad. Gonna go play with my mother's dogge after class.

Cat wants dogge too.

CRUSTY MINGE fucked around with this message at 13:29 on Oct 23, 2013

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

drat you petfinder. all those adorable as hell puppies and almost always they're taken when I get the balls up to call. missed out on a border collie pup at a rescue. :(

I'm also convinced that people around here don't know what a corgi is, as almost anything smaller seems to be marked corgi.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

I'm not looking for a corgi, just noting that I'm seeing a lot of small breeds not corgis labeled as corgis.

My dog want list:

Collie, border collie, aussie shep, german shep (maybe), husky, or a mutt hound. If I wanted pits or staffordshires I could be rolling in them all day in memphis.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Today my mother offered to pay for a puppy, training, and to let it hang out at their house with their brittany spaniel when it can't be chilling with me, and vet bills until I get better on my feet. But, according to her, I have to get rid of the cats. So instead of moving in with her I'm going to build a two story barn shed on a random lot with access to county water and power, throw some insulation and drywall in the fucker, hook up a shitter and shower, bed upstairs, everything else down. And I'll go adopt a mutt. With 3 legs, one eye and no nuts. Call him Lucky.

Love my goddamn cats.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Is the rest of his name P. Coltrane? Cause if so that's the bossest dog name.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

evil_bunnY posted:

Don't get a border collie as a first pup.

gently caress. You.

Everyone else, meet Frank.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Family meeting, quit loving up the ex-wife's fake trees, I don't have anything else to put there.

Got it?

What?

gently caress you.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Speaking of border collies...

Frank's getting some lank. He was 21 pounds on friday, 19 pounds the friday before. Probably an inch or two taller. He's gonna be big. Goes to the vet next week for his 4 month shots. And the ear thing is normal, it's a subservience thing that I can tell.

Anyhow, he hasn't messed in the house since sunday morning or so, and that was a misread on my part. Still, nothing but encouragement when he does go outside, he gets treats when he comes inside, which he expects and immediately sits for. I keep his treats in an old cat treat container (it's small enough to take anywhere) and the shake is most times enough to get his attention when he's being good. He knows ball and how to fetch it, an old sisal rope ball that I bought for the cats, who lost interest in it immediately after in favor of the bag it came home in.

Energy. Holy poo poo. He practically runs in his sleep. He spends a TON of time with my mother's brittany, Jake, who's kinda a fatty. They run laps around the yards for 20-30 minutes at a time then play tug of war with an old pound puppy toy. I've been working a lot more, going out on dates, and my family has been exceedingly supportive with him. So he has two homes, one with rear end in a top hat cats (they tolerate each other now rather well), and another with a teenager and a spastic spaniel. When it's not colder than than the ex-wife's snatch outside, he has me doing some light jogging. Mostly because he likes to track back and forth right in front of me, so a quicker pace keeps him to one side. Sometimes.

He is awesome. If I landed this job, and outdoor gig along the river, I'm going to take him along as often as possible. Everyone get a dog, it is the best decision you will ever make.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Hajotus Maximus posted:

Dalmatians are supposed to be great family pets. It's just that they require quite an amount of daily excercise. I remember someone telling that they should be fine with a daily marathon, so it's not really a surprise when a dalmatian without any activities goes nuts.

My great-uncle had the fattest dalmatian I'd ever seen, and his fat rear end would always want to ride along in the cabbed tractors. And grain trucks, and anything with wheels, really. But he hung out on a good 5 acre homestead and was surrounded by grain fields, so he had tons of space to play. Probably one of the nicest dogs in the family that I remember, when he was alive. The st. bernards were always bigger assholes.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

gently caress yeah he is.

Food creating friendships. :3

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

one more

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Heads up, NBC is running a dog show.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Jump on a scale with him and see what he weighs.

I weighed Frank after having him around for about 13 days, he was 19 pounds. A week later he was 21 pounds. This past friday? 24.5 pounds. He put on a half pound a day in a week. And he's getting some stretch. Still a chickenshit about getting in and out of the car though.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

The ball is dead. Long live the ball.

Oh hey 'sup

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Frank still hasn't figured out how to climb in and out of the car, soon though. At least he's not trying to be captain lapdog anymore, just chills in the backseat playing with a chew stick or toy.

Chill dogges best dogges.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Fister Roboto posted:

I mean more as in they walk by the table wagging their tails and all of a sudden whoops everything is on the floor.

EVA BRAUN BLOWJOBS posted:

One of my old ones ate soap and a tube of toothpaste when we were out of the house. Not the smartest breed, but drat are they friendly. They just love being around people.

Reasons I got a border collie.

But seriously, little dude has some good tail control. Hasn't messed in the house in over a week, absolutely beats up on my mother's dog, and has a habit now of chasing around the younger cat in an odd trot. Need to record that sometime.

Do it vas, get a dogge.

Miniature aussie shepherds

CRUSTY MINGE fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Dec 5, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

no idea, just found it on google.

really thought about getting a mini-aussie but Frank was up at a rescue and I'd rather take one in that way than wait on a breeder.