Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrDesaude
Sep 10, 2013

Have you tried lighting incense and praying to the Omnissiah?

Cole posted:

I saw that yesterday. It owns. Gonna get my baby a pup because of that.

Remember, it is like having 2 kids to clean up after... Dogs are not a sometimes thing...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrDesaude
Sep 10, 2013

Mr. Nice! posted:

If you train them right, there's very little to worry about. Dakota had a week or two that I had to keep a hawk's eye on him to make sure I could catch him in the act. I've had him for over two months now, and it's been well over a month since his last accident.

The point I was making is people see stuff like this (especially around Christmas time) and think it would be a great idea for their crotch dropping to have a puppy. Then a month later it's back at a rescue because they "couldn't handle" or "didn't have enough time" for a baby and a puppy.

I'm not calling anyone here stupid, I'm just saying that when you bring in a dog you are making a commitment up to 15 years. Make sure you are ready for it.

Kinda bitter balls because I volunteer and foster rescues and I can't save them all... I trust dogs more than people most times...

MrDesaude
Sep 10, 2013

Truth, and cheaper. Pretty sure the only children I'm going to have are of the four legged variety. I have nieces, I can sugar them up, spoil them rotten and give them back... good enough for me!

MrDesaude
Sep 10, 2013

Slim Pickens posted:

The 1-year-newish doge. She does this poo poo all the time.

Your dog is win. Just want you to know that...

MrDesaude
Sep 10, 2013

Everyone, meet Bruno.

He is a Lab/chow/sharpei mix and hands down the best dog I have ever had.

When he was a puppy, hell even now... he will destroy stuffed toys. But for whatever reason he loves sock monkeys...

The only downside is he is too smart for his own good. He can get his own food, let himself out, turn on the bath tub faucet to get water (he won't drink from the toilet) and he hates EVERY male that isn't me aside from a pretty short list.

MrDesaude
Sep 10, 2013

Mr. Nice! posted:

good dog.

Dakota almost always sleeps like this.

Took that after I read your post.

Bruno last night...

EDIT: yes that is a scratching post torn to shreds in the background. That is where the Tortie shows us how she is going to flay us eventually...

MrDesaude
Sep 10, 2013

Mr. Nice! posted:

Bruno owns.

Indeed he does.

MrDesaude
Sep 10, 2013

So Yesterday was Bruno's 3rd Birthday... He devoured his birthday gift and eviscerated his chew toy...

And this was today as we watched the 50th anniversary episode of Dr. Who.

Guys, I am soo comfy right now...

MrDesaude
Sep 10, 2013

Dem eyes!

MrDesaude
Sep 10, 2013

I don't get it on quite a few of the breed restrictions. As a guy who has owned a few dogs and has interacted with many here are some observations:

Chihuahuas are mostly 2 person dogs, 3 tops. Unless you get the one in a million that loves everyone they will like a few and try to gnaw on the rest.

Dalmatians are dicks, straight cockers too, cocker mixes are awesome but they are prone to seizures later in life.

Pitts and Mastiffs have one directive: Make Master Happy. If it makes master happy, they will do it. Loyalty without question, this is why they are prone to abuse by dog fighting.

Huskies and Malamutes can be territorial, but they have retard strength. Seriously, they were built to pull sleds and carts, I have seen a husky break a tow cable because of 3 months of constantly yanking on it when it was outside. When the cable was replaced the dog simply yanked the fence post concrete footer and all, out of the ground.

Generally (in my experience) the smaller the dog, the greater the rear end in a top hat they are... Even Bruno, he will kneecap you with his 40 lb rear end...

MrDesaude
Sep 10, 2013

He's standing there like, "What? Where's the turkey, I want more!"

MrDesaude
Sep 10, 2013

Bruno still tries to be captain lapdog, but I can't seem to distract him with a toy as he tears them apart every 5 seconds. Seriously, he has the canine jaws of life... he eviscerated a tuff stuff toy in 10 seconds last night... (goodbye $8... dog resistant my rear end... )

MrDesaude
Sep 10, 2013

Bolow posted:

I got my Rottweiler one of those big kong tennis balls and he went absolutely apeshit over it and gnawed his way through it, skinned it, then tore it in half in the span of about 10 minutes.

His Kong ball (the one that's like a cone ish thing) has lasted 3 years without incident, it is perfection. Kong balls are god tier.

Stuffed toys however are another game...

MrDesaude
Sep 10, 2013

Godholio posted:

Not sure what he did, but Logan hurt his right front paw/leg yesterday afternoon. I think he landed weird. He's been limping pretty noticeably, and has been holding the paw just off the ground when he sits. :( It's not sore to the touch, so I'm sure he'll be ok in a few days. Last night he was wimpering and took a long time to fall asleep. :( :(

Naturally, I let him into the yard and he loving runs at about 3/4 speed to bark at the neighbor's dog.

If the limping persists There is a dogge aspirin on the market, Bruno had a really nasty sprain or something where he was doing that for a few days, paid the $15 and got him a few of those and he was right as rain a couple days later... It will likely work itself out though...

LITERALLY SHAKING posted:

It's raining and Frank doesn't dig that. Also it's right at freezing out so we're about to get ice pellets.

E: He's not having this rain/ice stuff at all. Poor puppy.

Bruno is the same way, but he loves the snow. Probably because it doesn't soak him in the process. That said, when it is cold and there is a warm bed involved he is the master of the combat deuce.

The guardian of the cat box himself.

MrDesaude
Sep 10, 2013

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Tiny Ball Mode is the best.

Only it isn't so tiny, he is on the small side of large dog. (believe it or not he weighs 55 pounds.)

He does not look big but he is a strong little tank. He also tends to headbutt me in the back of the knee when he wants me to drop something while cooking. Not too subtle, this one...

MrDesaude
Sep 10, 2013

As if my morning couldn't get any brighter Bruno's "Grandma" (my mother in law) stopped by with a present for him because the evil snow is here and he will freeze in the 3 minutes he is outside doing his business...

"Dad, This is warm... but I don't know how I feel about this..."

MrDesaude
Sep 10, 2013

MrDesaude
Sep 10, 2013

tried this with Bruno once... He tried to eat the camera.

MrDesaude
Sep 10, 2013

That face...

MrDesaude
Sep 10, 2013

Writer Cath posted:

Happy belated birthday, old lady dog.

She turned eight three days ago; seemed like everyone was celebrating :haw:

looking on her way to 8 more :)

MrDesaude
Sep 10, 2013

So a few years ago, my wife and I found a tiny stray kitten out in a feral colony behind a Chinese food place. Itty bitty.
Well this cat has turned into my Dog's emotional support animal. Anyone else have this situation?

MrDesaude
Sep 10, 2013

This is my Good Boy Bruno. He has been on here before.

We got him a new cow toy, clearly it has replaced me as his best friend...

Only registered members can see post attachments!

MrDesaude
Sep 10, 2013

Bruno also Loves his Tennis Balls and Penguin.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

MrDesaude
Sep 10, 2013

I can relate...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrDesaude
Sep 10, 2013

Nerdrock posted:

While not a good pillow for her newest packmate, Polly does fiercely defend her anyways. Seriously we'd never heard her growl before until a friend came over to see the baby. She was intense.

Hairless puppy is now under her protection.